Life with a Baby: 11 Months

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 7, 2015

11months

Oh boy, this update is late! Sixteen days late to be exact. Life with an almost 1 year old sure is busy. =)

My little monkey ZOODLE, that’s what I call her when I get her from a nap. haha. Adriana is going through so many incredible changes. It’s an amazing age, yet challenging too. I can see her frustration with wanting to do so many things all at once, but not quite having mastered all the skills yet. I’m just trying to be there for her as much as I can and reassure her that she’s doing great. She’s just entering another leap so I can sense that she’s feeling a bit off lately, but aside from those challenges she is a very happy baby. She loves to giggle, smile, baby talk (oh my is it ever getting cute), and just generally being a stinker. She loves doing things to get a reaction! She is easy going when being held by new people. She went to a party the other weekend and was held by just about everyone and didn’t seem to care at all. On the flip side, she is learning to assert herself with mom and dad. She loves to put up a HUGE fuss when getting her clothes changed, face wiped, etc. It’s like end of the world dramatic.

She’s now pulling herself up to stand on everything. She’s always looking up…thinking what can I pull myself up onto? One of her favourite things is to crawl over to me or Eric and grab onto our hands and pull herself up to stand. We cheer her on and she just beams with pride, looking back at one of us as to say, did you see that!? It feels so good to be able to help build her confidence. She’s a super speedy crawler (I call it sprint crawling because she screams when she does it as if to rev herself up) – and always trying to get into things. She currently loves trying to follow me into the pantry – I have to be quick. And she zooms over to the fridge or dishwasher whenever I have it open. If I drop any food on the floor I can be sure she’ll have it in her mouth. The other day I found a piece of raw onion in her mouth….silly girl.

Breastfeeding and solids are both going strong. I’m still nursing on demand about 6 times a day. She has always been a milk lover. Her new favourite thing is to crawl over to me, pull herself up, and try to pull down my shirt! This could get awkward in social settings. She is also doing well with Baby Led Weaning and she gets 3 meals a day. I had many doubts and fears about BLW in the beginning (mainly choking), but it’s been incredible for her.

Here is our BLW story in a nutshell, taken from an Instagram post the other week:

We tried BLW around 7 months and she wasn’t interested in the food at all…just threw it around (which in hindsight I see was just part of the exploration process). So we switched back to homemade purees with very little success. She was NOT a fan of purees and mostly just pushed the spoon away from her face. We started to get discouraged…so then tried BLW again around 9 months old and never looked back. It started off very slow (with lots of gagging reflex) but after a couple weeks she started to figure things out. This time she was ready. Two and a half months into BLW and she’s so excited for meal times now. She screams with joy and will try absolutely anything. I’m sure this will change when she asserts "no" as a toddler, but I still hope it’ll help her develop a positive relationship with food. It’s been amazing to watch her learn on her own (and through watching us eat too). My own learning experience has been that all babies go at their own pace…try not to compare. Trust YOUR baby. this applies for everything, and as they say "under 1 just for fun".

This Baby Led Weaning book is incredible. I wish I read it months ago!!! Highly recommended.

Her favorite foods right now are: avocado, butternut squash, sweet potato, kidney beans, pastured eggs, zucchini, broccoli, apples (we can’t eat an apple without her anymore…or any food for that matter…she eyes us until we give her some). We let her try what we are eating and she’s enjoyed things like lightly spiced curry, chili, stew, veggie burgers, homemade fruit sorbet, etc. The only difference between our food and hers is that we don’t salt or sweeten her food. So if we make veggie burgers we will split the batch, salt our half and not salt hers. It’s a bit of a hassle, but not a big deal. I read that salt is hard on their kidneys at this age so I’m trying to avoid it.

The biggest challenge with feeding lately? She has been slamming her body into her highchair over and over like a wild animal wanting to be set free. She’s been doing this for over a month or so. It makes this huge banging sound and I worry about her hurting her head because she whips herself back so hard. She seems to get a real kick out of it because she knows it gets a reaction. Then she laughs and giggles like crazy, especially if I try to hold her head from doing it again! lol. If these walls could talk, eh? From what I’ve read online it’s very common for babies to thrash in their highchair. At least, that’s what we’re consoling ourselves with. We usually just take her out of the chair when she starts with the hijinks because I interpret it as a sign that she is done or bored, but then I worry she didn’t eat enough. *shrugs*

Nursing has it’s challenges now that she is more active. She loves to squirm, kick, pull my hair out (ouch), giggle, FLY OFF me when finished, etc. Such a stinker. Sometimes she just giggles and then I laugh and we’re sitting there laughing when she should be getting sleepy, but what can you do. I go downstairs and tell Eric I pretty much woke her up because we were giggling and being insane. I want to embrace all these silly moments because I know they won’t last forever. But I do absolutely cherish when she’s sleepy and calm, like before a nap or early in the morning. It’s my “zone out” and relaxation time and I can feel the stress melt away when she’s in my arms. Hello, hormones! It’s like a drug.

Sleep has made progress in some areas and setbacks in others. First, the good: She is sleeping through the night about 3-4 times per week (knocking on wood here). *insert praying emoticon here* Now, this doesn’t mean that she doesn’t wake up in the middle of the night, but she’s able to fall back asleep on her own after a brief cry or fuss. It’s awesome, especially after almost a year of getting up between 1-3 times a night. I think there is so much emphasis on having babies sleep through the night at a super young age, it’s easy to forget that it’s normal for them not to (just like it’s normal for some babies to sleep through the night early on!). I remember feeling like we were doing something wrong because she wasn’t sleeping through the night when my other friend’s babies were, and now I see how silly that was. Now, the not so good: bedtime. Whomp, whomp. She fights bedtime so much for the past few months and it usually takes a minimum of 1 hour before she’s asleep, sometimes two hours. Sometimes she just plays in her crib and chats while other times she cries and we have to go up there to soothe her. Naps have been pretty awesome (when she’s not skipping them). On a good day, she’ll nap just over an hour in the morning and up to 2 hours in the afternoon. This has helped me get so much work done which has been great because my second cookbook manuscript is due end of Sept.*insert praying emoticon here*

She went through a period where she had a meltdown every time one of us tried to give her a bath in the baby tub. It was stressful. So I remembered what some of you said and I tried having a bath with her instead. Oh man, does she ever LOVE it! No more tears after that. Bath time is fun again. Baby tub is OUT. I guess she just wants to be a big girl now? Her favourite thing is splashing the water and soaking me. Why would she want to go back to a baby tub after that? I sure wouldn’t.

I forgot to mention the state of diaper changes! They went from being easy breezy to feeling like I’m wrangling a wild animal. It’s so hard to change her now that she’s so active and mobile. She will often flip and start crawling away in the middle of it (when we’re changing on the floor, that is). We have less issues when using the change pad (with a belt) in her nursery, so maybe I should get one of those for downstairs too. I’d love to hear any tips on how other parents wrangle their kiddos! ;)

I’m gearing up for her 1st birthday party. I can hardly believe it. Our house is going to be packed with friends, family, and Adriana’s friends. Somewhere in the crowd there will be a mom creepy-staring at her baby while hiding her eyes welled with tears and smiling. Yup, that’ll be me. I’m going to lose my shit when we sing her happy birthday, I just know it. It should be fun. Here is a sneak peek of the colour scheme. Who says the 1st birthday party is mostly for the parents? ha….I would be guilty as charged. I’m having way too much fun planning the décor and food. My mom and stepdad are coming for a week around her birthday and I’m so glad they will be here to celebrate with us. Only 2 weeks to go now!! And just like that, my baby will be a toddler in the blink of an eye…what a beautiful, crazy, wild, mind-blowing year it’s been. It just keeps getting better.

Page 2 of 2«12
Delphine November 14, 2015 at 4:07 am

Hey there,
I love your website, keep up the hard work!
Would you share the recipe you used for the cake?
Thanks a lot

Laura Finnegan November 28, 2015 at 8:45 am

When my son was young and would hardly be still for diaper changes, I would either put on the Wiggles, which were big at the time, or, if we were in public bathroom, I would sing to him. It’s a matter of distraction.

Mary Brade December 4, 2015 at 8:04 am

Morning everyone. I pop in every now and again to see how life with baby is going, she’s growing so big now and the developmental changes will come every day, it’s such an exciting time.
Thank you for continuing to post, for those of us who like a little visit, I would miss not reading the baby posts.
Love, love your recipes and your web site. I look forward to seeing what your agile mind and extreme talent in the kitchen will produce for us in the future.

Jennifer December 6, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Hi! I just read your post and I have a question about pastured eggs… I saw that you do let your daughter eat eggs and I’m wondering if you and Eric have also been eating eggs? I thought you were 100% vegan. The reason I ask is that I’ve been struggling with this a bit myself… I’m striving to be 100% vegan but my husband still eats animal products. My youngest son loves scrambled eggs but I have been feeling bad about giving them to him. I feel like if I’m not eating them, I shouldn’t give them to him… I’m curious to know how you guys are dealing with it with a little one :) I guess I have been feeling like if I’m eating a certain way for my health and for environmental reason, people will think of me as hypocritical because I let my kids eat differently…. however, this is new for me so until now, my kids have been eating the way I was brought up…. a standard Canadian diet. I would like to transition them to a vegan diet, but its really hard! Any thoughts? I need to ease my mind!! hahaha :)

Véronique December 14, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Dear Angela,

Thank you for these stories. I am not a mom (yet), but I aspire to be soon. And reading your baby stories, how you learn as a family, as a woman with this little bundle of life is so reassuring and inspiring. Often, I will laugh or get tears to my eyes. All the goodness that you give your baby, I am certain that it allows her to bloom every step of the way.

Merci for sharing,

Véronique

Jones January 3, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I think that Nursing offers it is difficulties since she is much more energetic. The girl enjoys in order to squirm, quit, draw my tresses away (ouch), laugh, FLY OFF me whenever completed, and so on This kind of stinker. Occasionally, the girl simply giggles after which We giggle as well as we will seat generally there having a laugh whenever the girl must receive tired, but you may be wondering what are you able to perform. We proceed downstairs as well as inform Eric I quite a lot woke the girl upward because, i was giggling as well as becoming crazy. I wish to accept each one of these ridiculous occasions because, We realize these people will not finally be permanently.

Jones January 3, 2016 at 2:49 pm

I’m new to your story but can identify with your worries and challenges described here. My son (now 3) had very similar eating and sleeping habits. One suggestion, teach her sign language. It was so much nicer to have my son sign for milk, instead of pulling my shirt down. He self weaned at 16 months. Thank you for stirring up the memories.

Jones January 3, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Emily G January 5, 2016 at 12:49 pm

She looks like a cutie! Jealous you get to enjoy a little babe all the time, can’t wait to get to that point in my life. Just curious, are you not showing her face in photo’s on the blog/media for a reason? Or is she just too squirmy to get a good shot? haha

Laetitia January 7, 2016 at 4:49 am

Hello Angela, I wish you a Happy New Year full of joy and inspiring recipes!

I have a question. And I’m asking you because I can’t find answer anywhere! I’ve had your book for a while now, and in the mean time my baby has grow into a one year old. She wants to taste everything I eat or drink and I was wondering if it was ok for her to try things containing chia seeds, hemp seeds, maca and other superfoods or my green monster!

Did you share your drinks with your baby? I find it difficult to say no ;)
Thank you !!!!

Jacqueline January 12, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Hello from Toronto Angela: I have never signed up to follow anyone or anything before & Mukha (14 yr. old Siamese) and i are working from home today. We happened upon you via your kale chip recipe. Somehow, i noticed Sketchie at the bottom and clicked on. Is it ok to ask how is he doing? Besides being adventuresome with your recipes, having a child, writing a book, i could go on….. i noticed your heart is gentle and kind. Sooooo…. this e-mail is not intended to by any means make you sad, just can sense a soft side to you and hope things are healing. Much admiration, continued success and joy in 2016. Your newest follower, Jacq Ox & Muks (till Jim gets home and tastes your version of kale chips)

Nicole January 13, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Is there a 1y update? Maybe I missed it, but couldn’t find it on my mobile. Would love to see the -what’s certain to be amazing- first birthday celebration!

Sandra Azar January 19, 2016 at 4:54 am

My son has had problem with foods too, but of course every child has to undergo that kind of situation. Now my son LOVES eating, especially fruit and chocolate :) I wish your family the best in raising your lovely child!

Stacy February 2, 2016 at 12:37 pm

You’re ready for The Honest Toddler! Friend them on Facebook and bookmark their website: for the next 2 years they will be a-speakin’ your language!

Isa Mora February 9, 2016 at 11:52 am

Hello!!! Omg, I’m in the same phase as you with my 11 month baby!! I’m reading you and it seems that I write it lol!! I baby Lead Wening and still breastfeeding! I’m feeding her just vegan food, and she loves it :)

Shamma February 11, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Hi Angela!

I have just been so excited to explore your blog – it is so informative, honest and welcoming, and your recipes are DELISH! I was wondering if you have any plant-based, nutritionally rich recipes for baby smoothies or meals on the go? I have an 11-month old and I can tell that you are the one to ask!
Please keep up the amazing work and blessings to you in 2016!
With gratitude,
Shamma

Natalie February 18, 2016 at 9:37 am

Hi!
Im newly vegan and doing my research on wjat kind of milk ro give my baby after the breastfeeding stops. Any advice?
Thanks!

Angela Liddon February 29, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Hi Natalie, my daughter refuses to take any milk but my own (I’m still nursing), so I don’t think I’m the best to give advice on this! :) We’ve tried almost every kind of milk with her and she just doesn’t like any yet. Our paediatrician said to give her water in addition to the breastmilk, and when I stop breastfeeding to emphasize foods that are rich in calcium, iron, etc. Anyway, I know this doesn’t help much, but I would talk to your paediatrician about it.

Jen February 26, 2016 at 4:11 am

Love your recipes and blog. My little guy is about to turn 1 – sniff* and I was searching for a recipe to make his birthday cake. While we are not vegans per se, but enjoy vegan meals a few nights of the week, our friends and their children who are attending the party are. Instead of making 2 cakes and singling them out I will just make a vegan cake but was having difficulty finding a recipe that is both vegan and sugar free (or naturally sweetened with fruit ) for babies.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out! Many, many thanks!!

Stephanie March 3, 2016 at 2:01 pm

I just came across this free box of baby goodies thought you readers might want to know: http://www.couponclipinista.com/2016/02/free-baby-box-loaded-with-35-worth-of-goodies/

Baby Bottle March 14, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Really love your article,waiting for your update

Shawn Hansen March 29, 2016 at 5:02 pm

My daughter is 2 year old-now. Her every talk and many activities are surprised me all the time. When she was 11/12 months, she was starting to surprise me and all of my family members. After reading this article, I’m finding many similarities between Adriana and my daughter (oh my daughter name is Jeniya). She is also talent like your little angle. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and very informative article. :)

Vanessa April 3, 2016 at 9:10 am

Hi Angela, I always love ready about your babies progression and how you approach things. My baby is just turning 12 months and I’m trying to broaden her horizons past veggie purees and also find recipes that we can all enjoy. Are there any recipes in your book or website that you recommend? I am also trying to avoid salt and sugar like yourself, which is tricky when she wants what I’m having.

Angela Liddon April 8, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Hey Vanessa, We tend to give Adriana whatever we’re eating, but usually when I make a dish, I will portion out her serving(s) before I add the salt and things like cayenne or red pepper flakes. She really loves many of my pasta dishes on the blog and in the book. I like to use a spelt rotini pasta as it digests a bit easier and it has quite a bit of protein/fibre in it. She also enjoys a lightly spiced chili (especially the red kidney beans), pancakes spread with coconut oil instead of maple syrup, my blueberry spelt muffins (I’ll often reduce the coconut sugar by half), roasted butternut squash and sweet potatoes (one of her faves!!), tofu, and of course fresh foods like smoothies, avocado, apple slices, oranges, banana, etc. I hope this helps get the wheels turning!

Vanessa April 11, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Thanks so much for your reply Angela! Its great advice. My baby won’t let me eat anything without her now so I will try some of your recipes out and see how she goes. xo

Angela Liddon April 12, 2016 at 9:56 am

You’re so welcome! Good luck. :)

Melissa April 19, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Hi Angela ! I am wondering what the best plant based milk is to replace dairy milk for a one year old ( if baby stops breastfeeding at one ) thank u :):)

Kathy May 7, 2016 at 12:17 am

Hi
I hope your daughters birthday party went well :)
My daughter is turning 1 in a month and just wondering what cake you had as I’m trying to find some ideas and there’s nothing appealing to me. Everything is either loaded with artificial colours or sugar or it’s so boring and bland.

Could you possibly do a post on your daughters 1st birthday party?

Thankyou. I love all your recipes and snapchats.

Kathy from Australia, Brisbane. oxoxox

Natasha Wilton May 23, 2016 at 11:42 am

Lovely Post.!! 100% agree with you.Really they are happy when we celebrate their birthday party as a family.Our family culture is different with others family culture.I don’t mention this now :) Only one thing I can tell you we celebrate everyone birthday, ha ha ha ,age doesn’t matter at all.

Sharon Hamlin May 23, 2016 at 11:51 am

Great thing you noted,It remind my past when I was a kid,and celebrating my birthday with mom,dad and brother.They gave me gifts like cute dolls, toys, and many more things.Celebrating birthday is also important to build a healthy relation with other family members.

Renee September 3, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Hi Angela,
I follow your blog and I love what you post! I’ve been eating a plant based diet since 2006. I had a baby a year ago and my question was what do you feed your toddler?

Katie September 5, 2018 at 11:27 pm

Hi Angela! I’ve been reading your blog for years, after I tasted your OSG bars at the first Healthy Living Summit (throwback! I used to have a blog called Lilveggiepatch). There are so many of your recipes I come back to again and again. I have a 9.5 month old now, and we’ve struggled so much with eating. We figured out a little while ago that he just will not tolerate us feeding him any food and so we’ve been making soft things for him to feed himself (he’s also still all about breastfeeding, which I love and feel fortunate to be able to do). We’re vegetarian and eat eggs, but unfortunately our baby is allergic to both eggs and sunflower (and sunflower is in EVERYTHING!) so last night I had a Eureka moment to check your blog and see if you had any recipes. And your description of Adriana’s eating habits sound just like our boy’s! The purees were just not an option, ditto trying to push anything with a spoon. It was so frustrating and we’re so glad BLW is an option (although it is scary sometimes). Thank you for your honesty about this and I look forward to going through your blog and finding your tips- this, in particular, means a lot more now that I’m raising a kiddo!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2018 at 9:33 am

Hey Katie, whoa talk about a throwback! It’s funny because I was just thinking about the Healthy Living Summit yesterday when I was replying to a reader about conferences being so helpful when you are blogging. Good times. :) I remember you and your blog too!!! Congrats on your baby boy. :) Oh boy, that first year can be so challenging. (Who am I kidding? It still is!) They’re just going through so much, and every day is different. I’m so glad you’ve found something that works for your son. I find my two kids are always throwing me curveballs with what they’ll eat and it can be so frustrating, but I’m learning not to sweat it too much as I know it’s so common. Sending you lots of positive mama vibes!