37 Weeks

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 3, 2014

37weekspregnant

My sweet baby,

You are officially full term!! I can’t believe we are so close to meeting you. You’ve been growing for almost 3/4 of a year in my belly. Look how big you’ve gotten. It’s hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I’m walking around all day with a full size baby inside me. I don’t think I will ever get over how cool it is. I keep your ultrasound pictures on my desk beside me and I look at you frequently throughout the day. You have these big, chubby cheeks just like your dad and I had when we were babies. My heart melts every time I look at you. I feel so lucky to be your mama.

It’s hard to imagine what our lives will soon be like. Things will change in so many ways and we will feel unbelievably scared at times, but something tells me that life will feel fuller than it ever has. We will figure it out together just like we have these past 9 + months. One day at a time.

Even though I’m anxious to meet you, I’m also trying to savour these last days together. I’m going to miss your silly kicks and hiccups, but I know what awaits on the other side is better than I can imagine. Anticipating our birth experience has also filled my thoughts lately. I’m scared and have major butterflies, but I’m also feeling very positive about it. I know you will give me all the strength and motivation I need to get through it, no matter what happens. Plus, your dad gives really good back rubs! Those will come in handy I’m sure.

I’m feeling great these days. Much better than I thought I would at this stage in the game. My energy is high and I’m staying active every day. You love falling asleep on our long trail walks everyday. I’m looking forward to taking you for walks in the stroller this fall! I no longer have bad rib pain since you dropped down a bit lower a couple weeks ago (thank you!). I hope you are feeling good too. I think about you (and worry) all the time and wonder how you are doing in there.

Your nursery is almost complete and it’s my new favourite room in the house. Your dad laughs at me because I like to sneak upstairs and sit in your room, rocking on the glider, just thinking about you. He thinks this is funny because I don’t sit in quiet solitude ever, but being pregnant with you has taught me to slow down a bit. You know, stop and smell the roses. I know you won’t realize it yet, but we put so much love into your room. I can’t wait to show you pictures one day. I’m sure once you are a toddler you’ll be ready to design your very own ‘big girl’ room! That will be fun too.

We’re also wrapping up our kitchen renovation next week. I hope to have a week to prepare meals and freeze them before you arrive. Today, I made a big batch of African Peanut Soup! I’m also preparing blog posts so I have some ready to go in advance. I want to be able to devote all of my attention to you. Your dad is hard at work on the house, fixing the roof and the gutters, installing tamper proof outlets, tuning the car, and the kitchen reno. Last night, he drilled some Ikea picture ledges into the wall for your book display. We keep saying that we’re preparing for the most special visitor of all time! It’s like the Queen is coming, but WAY better…hah. Something tells me all you will care about is love, food, a clean diaper, and a warm place to snuggle. That’s cool too!

I’m feeling a bit intimidated by all the baby gadgets we have to figure out in the coming weeks. I practiced swaddling and diapering a baby doll the other day (seriously) and it didn’t go so well. haha! Then I tried on the wraps/carriers with the baby doll. Again, it was much harder than I thought. Anyway, I’m sure I will get the hang of all this stuff. Next week we have an appointment with a lactation consultant and guess what I’ll be practicing with? Yep, the plastic baby doll once again. Your dad is installing the car seat tonight and then we have a car seat inspection class at the fire hall this weekend. The days are filling up!

It’s fun to guess your birthdate – your dad says Sept. 19th and I say the 23rd. If only we knew! But I guess that is part of the excitement. I’m not the best with surprises; I’m just hoping my water doesn’t break while I’m getting my hair did next week, but I guess that would make for a good story…

Still no idea what we are going to name you. Well, we have a couple contenders, but I wish I just knew one way or another. Something tells me that we will have to meet you to see what fits that sweet face.

Anxiously awaiting your birthday baby girl…

Love always,

Mama

Page 2 of 2«12
Kristi September 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm

What a beautiful post! You made me tear up. My “babies’ are now 4 and almost 7. I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter(my first) and we put her car seat in the car and I would always look back there and think how amazing it would be to have her there, where I could see her. I would dream of the day when she would be talking and singing in that seat. Oh it goes so quickly (as I’m sure so many have told you). Cherish each moment and every first! There is nothing in this world like delivering your baby and holding them for the first time. No amount of preparing can begin to touch the joy of the actual experience. As long as I live I will never forget that moment of meeting my children for the first time. Seeing their toes and kissing them. Nursing was such an amazing gift as well and to realize that your body has the ability to solely sustain your child’s life is beyond rewarding. I wish you all the best in your journey with your sweet gift! Congratulations mama!:)

Lucina Gray September 7, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Hi Angela, I am excited for you to enter this new season of life as a mother. As a mom of two boys (5 years & 9 months old), I can just encourage you to let your God given mother’s intinct outweigh any advice people give you.

It is true everything will change, but it will all be for the better!

On a side note, your blog and cookbook have been a lifesaver for me. My baby Malachi eats EVERYTHING i make from your recipes. He loves green monster smoothies and gets the most adorable green mustaches from them. It is so nice to prepare vegan meals and feed them to my chunky little angel knowing whatever is in them is healthy and ok for him to eat. My husband is a professional boxer who has to make weight all the time. He prefers to eat your vegan meals because of the energy and mental alertness a plant based diet gives him. He stays strong and light. Not having to kill himself to get down in weight is a big deal. He eats soooo much and is a lot happier when he doesnt have to deprive himself weeks before a fight.

Thank you so much for the hours you spend testing and writing recipes. They help my family more than you can imagine!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2014 at 8:16 am

Hi Lucina,
Thank you for this lovely comment! I’m so happy that you and your family enjoy so many recipes! I don’t think I’ve ever had someone tell me their professional boxer husband (!) eats them too, so that is really exciting and encouraging for me to hear. Thanks for sharing the veggie love :)

Robyn September 8, 2014 at 11:26 am

So excited for you. My litle man turns 1 on Sunday. Time FLIES!!!!!!!! Truly it does. Enjoy everyday you have with her becasue you will blink and she will be one. The biggest thing to remember is you and Eric are her parents and you need to do what’s best for you and your family and not worry about what everyone else tells you you should do. It is scary but you will figure it out. You are on the right track. Babies just need lots of love, food, sleep and diaper changes. A couple of books I really like and are easy reads: 12 hours sleep by 12 weeks old. This worked great for me and a friend of mine. Also, an awesome resource that doesn’t use scare tactics and is very much about you being hte parent and making the best decision for you is Moms on Call. They have a website and also books based on the different stages. It’s about parenting out of truth not scare tactics. They are both Pediatric Nurses and have many children between the 2 of them. Best of Luck to you both. You will do great!

Emily September 8, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Hi Angela,
Congrats on being Pregnant! I have been a reader for over three years now but have dropped off the computer world since having my son! He just turned One and can’t say enough about be a momma! I hope all the best for you and baby girl. Can’t wait to read the exciting news of when she arrives.
Just one work of Advice, cherish every second with your baby girl, time moves so fast when your a mom and before you know it, she will be one and calling you momma =0)
Also we live in the same region and just wanted to let you know about great Lactation Consultant in our area and Nursing Group that has an amazing support system and amazing mommies! Feel free to send me a private message if your interested?

Good Luck

Margaret Flay September 8, 2014 at 10:00 pm

There is no feeling in the world to equal that of holding your baby for the very first time. Precious beyond words!
ps…Take all the help that’s offered those first few weeks :)

Alissa September 9, 2014 at 8:00 am

Cried. I cried reading that. Brought me back to 9 1/2 months ago when I was preparing to meet my baby boy. Being a mom will turn you into the biggest sap in the world. Thank you for the beautiful post. You will not believe the capability of the human heart to love until you hold your own precious baby in your arms. I’m so excited for you! (And good choice on the African Peanut Soup. I LOVE that soup. I think I’ll have to make a batch now…)

Michelle September 9, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Love this!! I’m almost 36 weeks and feel the EXACT same way! Hope you’re enjoying the last few weeks of your pregnancy :)

Purelytwins September 9, 2014 at 3:54 pm

love this!! I have the same feeling and emotions you are having. I can’t believe we are at 37 weeks already. It seems just like yesterday we were announcing to the world that we were pregnant and now so close to the end. Wishing you all the best these last few weeks or days :)

Bridgette September 9, 2014 at 4:30 pm

You look great! I am 24 weeks today and you are such an inspiration to me. I just love reading your weekly check-ins, as well as your yummy recipes! It keeps me motivated to keep eating healthy- even as a Nutritionist, I have had to cave into some cravings. Watching the numbers on the scale grow as baby continues to grow can be quite baffling, but feeling fit and healthy keeps me feeling happy. What exercises do you do to keep in such great shape?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2014 at 8:15 am

Hi Bridgette, Thanks for your kind words! I do a lot of walking….it’s by far my favourite activity while being pregnant! I do about an hour a day. I’m lucky that I’m still feeling great and quite mobile. I also was doing some resistance prenatal DVDs in the first and early 2nd trimester, but when my sciatica area pain got bad, I had to stop with the weights. You can find that post here: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/04/27/prenatal-workouts-part-1/
Congrats and all the best with your pregnancy!

Paula September 10, 2014 at 6:49 am

What a BEAUTIFUL post! That is one very lucky little baby coming into the world to be brought up by you and your husband! She will be one of your greatest teachers! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with your readers. I am so happy for you and all the success you are enjoying in so many areas of your life. Great example of what someone can accomplish when they put themselves out there, trust their intuition, and follow their path. You are AMAZING and an INSPIRATION Angie!

Lili September 10, 2014 at 7:56 am

Oh your post brings back memories of my first born. I have three total and all I can say is wow. It is amazing to look at them and think about when each of them were inside of me. Good luck and I’m hoping for the 19th. I’m a Jan. 19th baby born on my father’s birthday.

Beth E September 10, 2014 at 8:01 am

Although you already glowed before, you are absolutely radiant now. Best wishes over the coming weeks!

Sarah Stogryn September 10, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’m a new reader and was delighted to learn that you’re expecting a baby any day! I hope that you are surrounded by a birth team who make you feel loved and confident, and who respect you & protect your birth space; that your birth unfolds in a way that leaves you feeling joyous and empowered; that your postparum time is smooth like (nut!) butta. ;) All the best!!

Christina September 10, 2014 at 2:59 pm

The queen really is coming! So excited for you. I highly recommend the miracle blanket. It makes swaddling when you are sleep deprived so much easier! You are already the most perfect mama for your baby girl.

Anne Marie September 10, 2014 at 4:25 pm

What a sweet post, Angela! She is one lucky little girl. I wish you and baby (and Eric!) all the best, we all can’t wait to meet her, too! :)

Rachel September 10, 2014 at 5:55 pm

My family really loves your recipes – I’ve tried several over the past year or so and consult your blog regularly! We are not vegan but are trying to reduce our carbon footprint as well as to eat healthier. I have dropped numerous hints to my husband about wanting your new book so hopefully I get it soon :) It looks like we are only three days apart for our due dates (I am due Sept. 25 with our second child). Wishing you a smooth delivery!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2014 at 9:54 am

yay for being due the same week! You’ll have to keep me posted :)
I’m glad you are enjoying the recipes!

Jessica September 11, 2014 at 6:56 am

Love your blog. You’re going to be such a wonderful mama!

Linda @ Veganosity September 12, 2014 at 9:43 am

This made me cry. My baby girl is now 22, just graduated from college, moved into her first adult apartment in Chicago, and started graduate school. Whenever I kiss her forehead it still feels like she’s my baby. Enjoy this time, don’t rush the milestones (it’s hard when your friend’s are always talking about what their child is doing), and keep writing these beautiful posts. Someday she’s going to treasure them, as will you. Blessings to your beautiful family.

Giovanna September 12, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Your daughter is already a lucky girl to have a mama like you, you are so thoughtful writing all these letters, will mean so much to her!

Georgina September 13, 2014 at 12:59 pm

What a moving and exciting post. Best wishes, Angela. Your baby will be as beautiful as you, inside and out.
Georgina

Mash September 13, 2014 at 4:07 pm

What an emotional post! Wow, Angela!!! I’ve got a lump in my throat. So beautiful.
Thanks for sharing! Wishing you all the best on your new journey. You’re so positive and that’s exactly the recipe you need! (Smiling)

Little side note:
I make the eggnog spiced cashew milk almost each week (PDF bonus)! My Mom was visiting a few weeks ago. I only see her once a year as she lives in the U.S. I showed her how to make this eggnog and she was excited about trying her first raw, vegan treat!
I love having it for breakfast with a banana.

And- I loaned out my, Oh She Glows cookbook, to my naturopath, just days after I received it, around the pre-order time… Can’t pry it away from her so ordered another one for me. I love your work very much. Amazing recipes, beautiful photos. Just a pleasure.
In gratitude- thanks for a wonderfully delicious and proper intro to vegan cuisine!!!
M. In Montreal

Margaret September 23, 2014 at 11:15 am

Hi Angela. Just came across your post.
What an amazingly beautiful post. You are truly going to be a wonderful mama. Can’t wait to meet our newest family member. Like you, we are also so in love with her already. Soon…
Love mom-in-law.