35 Weeks

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 23, 2014

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

22vs35weeks

Hello! How is your weekend going?

As I write this post, I am one day short of 36 weeks and just 1 week shy of being full-term. Speed that up by almost a week if you go by my ultrasound due date (Sept 17th) rather than the LMP due date (Sept 22). Everyone keeps telling me she could come any day now! Eek. But then I tell them we have an agreement – baby promised not to come during the kitchen renovation. I’m sure that means she’ll surprise us and come tomorrow or something.

I’ve noticed so many changes in pregnancy symptoms this week. It must be getting close to Go Time because my body seems to be in prep mode. Or at least, that’s what I’d like to think. For starters, I feel like the baby is starting to drop because the pressure on my bladder is insane this week. She feels lower too and her hiccups feel lower down. Did you know that bladders make great baby pillows? They do….and also, punching bags. Her head boppin’ on my bladder also means I feel like I have to pee about 96% of the day. When I met with my doc he seemed to think my belly had dropped since the last appointment.

I’ve also had some pelvic pain and some new shooting pains in the cervix/vaginal area this week. I like to describe the latter sensation as a lightening bolt shooting up my girly bits. If you’ve had it before, you know exactly what I’m talking about. Luckily it doesn’t happen that often. My OB said it’s normal and nothing to be concerned about. However, I’m pretty sure if I told him my toe turned green and fell off he would say it’s totally normal. I guess the man has seen it all…

What else? Preggo insomnia is back. Earlier this week I was convinced I was getting contractions in the middle of the night because I woke up with really weird pains in random spots of my stomach. They went away thankfully, so maybe it was just the good old Braxtons doing a practice run. All I remember is waking up in pain and thinking, “Thank God for epidurals” – before finally drifting off to sleep. lol.

Other than those symptoms, I’m really not having many other symptoms and overall I feel pretty darn good. Life goes on!

My friend had twin girls a month ago and we threw a big potluck at her place this week. I got to hold and feed one of her baby girls to get some “practice” in. Aside from feeling like I was going to break this tiny little angel, I think I did OK. Whew. I can’t believe we’re going to have one of our own next month. I keep picturing what it will be like when we bring her home for the very first time. I’m guessing an unexpected poop explosion might be part of it!

Still going on my walks and loving them. I haven’t had to slow down much at all, but I’m sure I will a bit as the weeks go on. I’m happy with just getting out there and moving my body. Walking is so underrated! My doc thinks it will help prepare the body for labour…wouldn’t that be a nice bonus? Now that my lower back/sciatic area pain is almost gone, I’m also thinking of incorporating some prenatal yoga stretches back into my routine.

On the food front, my nausea is still gone (yay) and I have a strong appetite, but I’m getting really tired of our kitchen reno meals. I’m hoping to have a half-functional kitchen in another 1-1.5 weeks and I can’t wait to start cooking real meals again! I don’t want to see another piece of toast for a very long time!

Remember last week when I said I couldn’t be bothered to nest? Well, that was before the entire kitchen and family room got covered in dust, thanks to the countertop installation and some indoor grinding to install the cooktop. We had a big plastic drop sheet wall put up to contain the dust, but then we found out the installers removed it way too early and the dust got everywhere. Oh hell no. Needless to say, this kicked my nesting urges into overdrive. I cleaned all night long and I could’ve gone into the wee hours of the night but Eric made me go to bed. Do not mess with a 9 month preggo lady and her nest!

Hospital bag. Eric keeps telling me I need to start packing it! I’m putting it off. I did some reading online about what to bring and oh my…some of the suggested lists are LONG. I really don’t want to pack for a week-long vacay, you know what I mean? My goal is to keep it short and sweet. [This is coming from a classic over-packer, mind you…] We’re only a short drive to the hospital so it’s not like Eric can’t grab something if need be. Plus, from what I hear the hospital stocks some pretty snazzy underwear! Meow.

Anyway, feel free to leave your hospital bag suggestions…I’m all ears!

Page 2 of 2«12
tara @ the mama modern August 26, 2014 at 12:43 pm

bring water and coconut water! it is way easier to have your own than relying on someone to bring you water. plus, if you’re like me….you’re a fish :)

Anna August 26, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Hi Angela,

My best piece of advice for you is to have your bag all packed now. With my first I didn’t have a bag and had to explain on the phone to my husband after the birth what granny panties were and where to find them in my dresser. That was pretty frustrating after just giving birth. LOL If you have a stretch and sweep be prepared to have the baby after the 1st sweep but every person is different. With both of my kids I went into labour within hours of having it done. At the hospital ask the nurse if she could provide you with extra pairs of the underwear they give you. You’ll know which ones I’m taking about because you can pull them up all the way up to your chest. That first week after the birth these underwear will be your best friends. Also not sure if you’ve heard of Bravado but if not they have amazing nursing bras that you can order online. I lived in my bravado breast feeding tank tops for the 1st year. As for breast feeding the first 2 weeks are the toughest and after that it’s completely and utterly rewarding, beautiful, magical, etc…..

Enough with the tips. I’m super happy for you. My family has been vegan for 10 months now with our 4 and 2 year olds. I have cooked/baked almost everything in your book and we’ve loved every single recipe and are completely addicted to the chickpea salad sandwiches, the lentil loaf, the pumpkin pie, the banana ice cream cake. Oh hell we’re addicted to all the recipes.

Anna, John, Meredith, and William

Jen August 26, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Getting close my dear – so exciting :) I would also encourage you to bring a nursing cover. I made a rookie mistake and didn’t pack one and I really regretted it. You just might not feel comfortable nursing in front of random well wishers, I certainly wasn’t! I also brought some cute thank you cards and had my hubby pass them out to my fab. nurses. I wouldn’t worry too much about bringing pads with you to the hospital. At least in Chicago, my nurses gave me a bunch of the big pads and ice packs that I needed for the first few days at home. I also really appreciated the disposable undies they gave me – so if they offer you some of them to take home, take them! I bought some Tucks medicated pads and had them waiting for me at home. The hospital gave me some anyway, but those were lifesavers! I also wasn’t allowed to eat anything during labor but was glad I packed snacks for later on. I also agree with some other comments here – remember you will be a patient too! I hadn’t even looked at it that way. So be sure to take care of yourself as much as possible! Good luck :)

Amber August 26, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Lipbalm that stays on in a flavor you really like. Make sure your husband is in charge of it so he can put it on for you. Best of luck!

Shanny August 26, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hi Angela, one thing for sure….a pregnant woman with a blog sure will get a lot of advice. Lol

You look great and you sound like you are doing well. What an inspiration to still be exercising at your stage! I’ve had six beautiful babies and yep, those stabbing pains in the cervix are normal. I’ve even had a few toes turn green and fall off along the way (just kidding on that one….of course).

My one piece of obligatory advice is….expect to go overdue….and if you go early, then that’s a bonus. I’ve just seen so many women get depressed because it doesn’t happen when they ‘expect’ it to. Those last few weeks feel like months but you do eventually get to hold that sweet precious baby in your arms.

What a wonderful, exciting time of your life! All the best and I’ll be watching for the announcement of the birth of your precious baby.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2014 at 7:48 am

hah, well if my toe falls off I won’t worry too much then! ;)
Yes, I hear it’s much more common to go overdue than early for the 1st…good advice to be patient!

Gabi August 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Hi there,
Just one suggestion, although don’t know your specific hospital’s equipment and your plans on breast feeding, but from my experience, take a nipple cream and a hand pump to the hospital. I ended up with a C-section and had trouble in that department. I packed a bunch of stuff I didn’t use, but if I will have a second baby, I will make sure to have a camera with charged battery, nipple cream, a hand pump, swaddle for baby, snacks and a bottle for water for me. Other than this, most things are there or not quite that important or I already forgot missing them, it’s almost been 2 years since my child’s birth, but these are clear in my mind that I would need to have. Good luck!

Michelle August 26, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Haha I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re in labor now. I remember when I nested with both my kids I was giving birth within the week. Good luck and God bless girl!

Layla August 27, 2014 at 1:26 am

Wow, I’m due September 17 too! My only pregnancy related annoyance is carpal tunnel syndrome, other than that I am fine.
Good luck momma, we can do this!

Chelsea August 27, 2014 at 9:58 am

Lots of ladies summed most of it up. Just thought I would add organic baby wash for her first bath in hospital. Don’t want to put all those nasty chemicals on her new skin . And a heating pad for those after birth cramps and lower back pain. Proved invaluable with my third.

Amber Shaus August 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm

With my first, I waiting until two hours after my water broke to wake my husband. And then I waited another two before showering, packing my bag and heading to the hospital. IF you’re nursing I’d pack a nursing gown to sleep in. You’ll feel more human than you would in a hospital gown. Also snacks. I cannot stress this enough. I didn’t eat from like 9pm the night before until midnight just after baby was born. I was starving. I think if I had smuggled some nuts and fruit in with me and snacked during the many hours of contractions I would have enjoyed my little guy a lot more that night.

Robyn August 27, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Hospital bag – everyone has it covered. Buy the biggest, most absorbant pad with wings your can get, and if you remember, have someone wet a few and stick them in a freezer if you have access to one at the hospital. My midwife did that for me and it was welcome relief. Also, bring popsicles – quick, hydrating snack when you don’t feel like eating, and cranberry juice to keep infections away from your bladder. Chapstick is a must, and olive oil to slather on your baby’s bum to keep the first tar-like poop from sticking to her. Remember that you are strong and women in far worse off conditions survive and you will too. Good luck!

Shira August 27, 2014 at 3:52 pm

With each of my 3 kids, I packed less and less with my hospital bag. And I used even less than that! All you really need are nursing bras, a toothbrush, a phone and charger, vegan snacks if the hospital won’t have enough for you to eat (I always brought granola, soy milk, energy bars, healthy muffins, etc.), a few outfit choices for the baby for going home, a very comfy outfit for you to go home in and the carseat. Good luck!!

Lynn August 27, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Nothing you’ll read, nothing anyone will say and nothing you imagine can prepare you for the journey that awaits you….so pack what makes sense, prepare to be amazed and overwhelmed and just remember that your body know how to do what it needs to do…it just needs you to allow it to.

Danielle August 28, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Bring burp cloths. :) Some absorbent ones. :)

Kathryn August 28, 2014 at 4:00 pm

So I am going to suggest what NOT to pack in the hospital bag.
I packed peanuts butter granola bars for my hubby to snack on while I was in labor.
Little did I realize when he leaned over to coach my breathing I got a whiff of peanut butter. It was awful! We still laugh about it years later! Don’t plan on sleeping the first night in the hospital either. They are in every hour to check on you.
I totally agree with Ivana’s comments on postpartum recovery.

Keri August 28, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Gah! That bump makes me miss having one. You are adorable :)

Life savers in my hospital bag: coconut water. The only thing I could keep down during 28 hours of labor–that and I had honey sticks. Only honey sticks aren’t vegan! Maybe just coconut water. Lots of it.

I packed leg warmers & comfy slippers–thinking I’d be walking the cold hospital floors while laboring, but I spent most of my time in the tub. I wish I would have packed a bikini top for this reason. Modesty went out the window, but I went in to labor swearing it wouldn’t!

And finally, I packed 7 outfits for our baby for going home. I wish I would have packed more for myself. Yoga pants did not work afterwards–a maxi skirt would have been a better choice. I also wish I would have packed more blankets for our little guy–the hospital ones were a little rough from so much laundering.

Enjoy these last few weeks of being pregnant, rest as much as you can, and love the miracle of it :)

cls August 29, 2014 at 6:33 am

SITZ BATH. I thought it was so weird when the nurse offered it in the hospital, but ended up sending my spouse to the pharmacy for one after we went home. Ask for a sitz bath when you’re in the recovery room – it’s a little bowl that fits over the toilet seat – you fill it with warm water and linger there for awhile – so soothing on the lady parts. I’m due the week after you, and plan to bring some essential oils specifically for the sitz bath this time! Sending love and strength to all the mamas :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2014 at 7:12 am

Thanks for the tip! And all the best with your upcoming delivery!

Alyssa August 29, 2014 at 10:07 pm

You look amazing! You remind me so much of me when I was pregnant. My daughter is 4 1/2 months old now but the delivery already feels like a blur! I packed a bunch of stuff in my hospital bag and did not use most of it. The things I did end up using though were a nursing bar/tank top, robe, slippers, and an outfit to go home for myself and baby. Snacks are good too though. I had a 30 hour labor and was not allowed to eat until after the delivery. The mesh underwear at the hospital is more comfortable and you can ask for them to give you a few pairs to bring home! Enjoy the last few weeks of your pregnancy!

Carrie August 31, 2014 at 6:09 am

Extra undies and tanks. A doughnut cushion in case your labour is difficult. Earplugs. Baby sleepers 0-3 month and 3-6 month sized. My first never fit into the 0-3 month sized baby cloths, so much for all of the comments “you will have a tiny baby if you are vegan and still running.” My vegan, breast-fed baby was 20lbs by 3 months old. Ask the nursing specialist at the hospital to help you to get the baby to latch on correctly while lying down. Sleeping while baby nursed kept my sane.

char eats greens September 3, 2014 at 7:29 am

This made me laugh!! I definitely had the lightening bolt sensation too! ;)

How the heck are you already at 36 weeks?!?! I’m sure someone mentioned this above, but your own pillow from home is key!! And, my MIL brought me a small bottle of wine the night Nia was born…bless her heart! haha

Lori September 5, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Packing your hospital bag is a great idea. My water broke (a gusher) with my second, 3 weeks early, and I had to pack while walking around with a towel under me. I wish I had packed before hand. The suggestions above for packing are great . I was able to buy disposable underwear which were great for when my water broke and after my 2 nd was born. Also , have lots of water . For some reason I was so thirsty and couldn’t get enough water. As well, my exercise ball was instrumental in helping me through both my labours with no epidural. Either way , it helps with the pain.

Megan September 8, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I don’t know hospital regulations for food/drink as I had my baby at home, but I found straws incredibly helpful for sipping water and coconut water throughout labour. A straw seems like a weird suggestion but they were so helpful! I’d also suggest having on hand a really good, natural nipple butter for after the birth if you plan to breastfeed. Earth mama angel baby makes a great one. I found the lanolin ones to be way too sticky and they didn’t try as quickly for me. It’s something I wish I had on hand from day one though!

Zoe September 12, 2014 at 8:30 pm

warm socks and lip balm (my must have for the 2nd two kids) and maternity pads (i forgot mine the first time lol) hope it goes very well for you.
Love ohsheglows so glad i discovered it a few years ago :)