21 Weeks

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 18, 2014

21weekspregnant

Friday marked my last birthday before I’ll officially be a mom. Crazy stuff. I can only imagine how different our lives will be this time next year. I said to Eric that I just wish it was time already because I want to meet her so much. I keep picturing her in my arms and I just can’t wait.

Eric is pretty fascinated with my growing bump and changing body. He rubs it all the time and he likes to play his guitar “for the baby” now and then. I sure love that guy. I like to joke around with the belly a lot. Sometimes I hide behind a wall and just stick out the bump until he looks up and notices it in the doorway. It’s pretty ridiculous. Generally speaking I’m feeling pretty great in my own skin, but I do have moments when I don’t feel the most body confident. It feels a bit like when I was a preteen and going through puberty with so many rapid changes only this time I have the years and experience behind me to trust the process and my body! This week some strangers commented on my pregnancy and I was SO happy and just beaming with pride. hah.

Maternity clothing:

My pregnancy wardrobe up until this point has been all about the stretchy black leggings/crops and fitted tees/tanks. I’ve been amazed by how comfortable my stretchy Lulu crops still are! I had to abandon my “groove pants” long ago though (the waistband just doesn’t have as much stretch to it). I haven’t had much luck shopping for maternity clothes yet. My main purchases so far have been some comfy maternity tees (v-neck and scoop neck) from Old Navy (I seriously bought about 6 of them in various bright colours!), a black Old Navy maternity t-shirt dress (below), and a cropped denim jacket from Garage (not maternity, also below) which I think looks pretty cute with a bright fitted tank/tee and black crops. I think the name of the game this summer will be all about the flowy summer dresses and comfy casual wear!

21weeksc

21weeksjeanjacketb

Latest appointment:

I had an appointment with my OB this week and the anatomy scan results came back normal – whew! I did find out that I have a low lying placenta (the placenta attached low and is partially blocking the cervix right now), but the doctor reassured me that it’s quite common and there’s a good chance it will move up and out of the way in time for my due date. One of my sisters had this with her first pregnancy and she said it moved up by 33/34 weeks. I’m hoping for the same so I have the option of a vaginal delivery. I have a follow-up ultrasound in about 6 weeks.

How I’m Doing:

Comfortable sleeping has been a challenge over the past few weeks. I’m now putting a small pillow between my legs when I’m on my side and this helps a lot. I’m also taking more bathroom breaks than I ever thought possible (and I have a small bladder to begin with). Other symptoms include lower back pain and some pelvic area pain on and off (which I hear is just normal stretching). I feel a bit moody or emotional at times, but I’ve actually been surprised by how level my emotions have been overall. Another thing I’ve noticed lately is that I can’t eat a lot of food at one time – my belly just feels too full and uncomfortable. Small meals are the way to go! On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being amazing), I would say I’m feeling a solid 8 across the board this month. Gotta love the 2nd trimester.

Shower planning begins:

It looks like I’ll be having my baby shower the 3rd weekend in July. I’m so excited that my mom and sister are going to fly out for it and we’ll get to spend some time together! I’m told that I need to get on the ball and create a registry. =) I’ve been working on a document with ideas and registry must-have lists from other bloggers, but that’s about all I’ve done so far. Any tips or suggestions on newborn essentials are greatly appreciated! What did you absolutely need and what did you think you needed that you really didn’t?

Page 2 of 2«12
Cyndi May 21, 2014 at 7:48 am

I didn’t read through all the comments, and things have changed a lot since my boys were born 22 and 18 years ago, but one thing I remember is buying extra lingerie bags to put all the little stuff in so it wouldn’t get “lost” in the laundry! (Especially those teeny little socks!). You look great! It’s an exciting time for you and Eric.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

great idea!

anon May 21, 2014 at 11:34 am

Wow Angela, you look amazing and I am very ecstatic that your satisfied with your test results.I prefer to be anonymous today but I bet you “know” who I am when you posted about sketchie diagnosis I mentioned I was working on my lymphoma/ leukemia diagnosis. I finally passed those test, Ive been doing Cancer testing for 2 months and maybe when you need emotional support or even a hug from your daughter she’ll be just as kick ass awesome as my 8 year old daughter who as been my support while getting bone marrow biopsys and other evasive test done, she’s been to every appointment with me an
d helped me during this very troubling time. Unfortunately now I have to narrow out
ulcers , stomach cancer and tumors so another month or two more with no medicine.My father was suppose to pass 2 months ago from his leukemia we lived in a town where the water gives people cancer( Fallon, Nevada) . Don’t worry about me once Im pass this “setback” all survive and have a healthy mobile beautiful life again. I wish you the best in all you do Angela and I really love your granola bars your turning into a “hippy”;;)…

Kelly P May 21, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Wow, you’ve already gotten so many comments…I don’t want to overwhelm you with more. I think the number one thing you need after the baby is born is support, from friends and family and other moms. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I’m by no means an expert…my daughter is 6 months and I’m still learning…but I’d be happy to try to help!
As far as “stuff” is concerned, every baby is so different! We live in a very small Parisian apartment and had to stick to the bare essentials. Here’s my list:

For baby:
– a regular crib (no bassinet). We took the bars on one side off and pushed it up next to our bed. Her mattress is only an inch or two lower than ours. For nighttime nursing, I just lean over into her crib and lean away when she’s done (I tried bringing her into our bed at times, but that didn’t work well for me for various reasons. This is the best solution I’ve found to let us both sleep as well as possible).
– swaddling blankets (though my daughter is a little houdini and wiggles her way out of muslin and Swaddle me blankets…maybe for the next one I’ll have to try the Miracle blanket!)
– white noise (no need for a machine though, there are great apps for free out there if you have a tablet or phone you can leave with her…just remember to cut off the wifi!)
– no fancy clothes…just comfy pyjamas
– a bath seat, to support Baby in the tub.
– a comfy changing mattress (mine is a Sofalange…highly recommend it), which we put on top of the machine machine (no room for a table!). It’s actually the perfect height though for my back.
– a stroller (which I actually didn’t think I’d need in the beginning, as I was planning on just wearing her all the time, but I hadn’t planned on how much my back would ache from breastfeeding and carrying her so the stroller was a lifesaver), and a baby carrier (go for a “physiological” carrier – manduca or scarf – better for baby than Baby bjorn).
– a swing. We initially just bought a baby lounger to save space, but we should have just gotten the swing from the start.
– pacifiers.

For you:
– totally agree with everyone, bravado bras are the way to go. I have 2 and could use a 3rd.
– a good breast pump, right from the beginning. It can be a big relief for engorged breasts. Plus it lets you get out of the house and breathe from time to time….
– nursing pads, but NOT plain cotton…you’ll soak through them, and your shirts. I have some that have a fleecy side that has a stay-dry effect. Oh, and as a side note, the best piece of advice I have for breastfeeding in the first couple of weeks is to walk around topless if you’re having issues with cracks. Seriously. No cream heals better than the air. It’ll feel odd, but it will heal sooo much faster. Plus Eric will have fun. :-)
– a maternity pillow. I used it throughout my pregnancy to sleep, and it’s been great for nursing, serving as a cozy lounger for baby, and now a barrier as she rolls around.
– Energy snacks! In my case, the 15 or so boxes of chocolate friends gave us, but I’m sure you’ll figure out healthier options. ;-)

Happy shopping!

Megan May 21, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I literally busted out laughing when you described sticking your belly out behind a wall until Eric notices you. That is definitely something my husband and I would do. Love reading your pre-baby stories. You are truly glowing!

Beth May 21, 2014 at 9:35 pm

You look fantastic, and I’m so glad you’re feeling better! I’ll be 16 weeks tomorrow, and I just have to laugh at how cute your belly is. Here on pregnancy #4, I think I was your size by the end of week 2. :)

Not much to add that hasn’t already been mentioned–but I think the best advice I can give is that you’ll figure out what works for you, what you need and what you don’t, and it’s going to be different for everybody. I made the mistake with baby #1 of buying cheap nursing bras that didn’t fit and wound up with mastitis three times, so if you can splurge, go get yourself fitted and buy the best ones you can. SO worth it.

Baby clothes, diapers, LOTS of burp cloths, a safe place to sleep, and a comfy place to nurse–and you’re all set. :)

Marci May 22, 2014 at 10:40 am

Hi Angela,
I’ve found the following as essentials to have – mostly all for breastfeeding:
1. Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple cream and Lasinoh Gel Soothies (use both to heal quicker during those first couple weeks)
2. Brest Friend (I find this much better than the bobby nursing pillow)
3. Medela Freestyle Pump (you can walk around and get stuff done while pumping! It’s more expensive but totally worth it)
4. Simple Wishes brand double pump bra
5. Majama Sleep Bra (buy 2! so comfy – i lived in this the first 3 months) http://www.diapers.com/p/majamas-the-easy-bra-8337?utm_source=Diapers_SG&utm_medium=PDP_SG&utm_campaign=di-sg-to-mobile&noappbanner=true
6. Halo Swaddle sleepsacks
7. Lasinoh milk storage bags – the Medela brand is not good!

Hope this helps!

Shannon May 23, 2014 at 7:20 am

Get the Snoogle pillow and comfort will be yours again at least for a while. I got it half way through my 2nd pregnancy and it was heaven sent. They sell them at Babies R’Us. I promise you will not be disappointed.

char eats greens May 23, 2014 at 11:01 am

I miiiiiight have to go to Garage and copy you with that denim jacket because it’s absolutely adorable!

Essential baby item? The chair I have in this post:
Luckily, my SIL handed it down to me, but it was a lifesaver in the early months! I would prop her up on the kitchen counter while I diced veggies and cooked away. Purely amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2014 at 12:44 pm

you should get it…it’s super comfy!

Erin F. May 23, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Hi Angela,

Love your baby blog posts! You look awesome too, I am just coming up on 26 weeks and am starting to feel a lot bigger! I agree with the Bravado bras THEY ARE AWESOME. As for maternity clothes I’ve picked up a few things from Thyme, Motherhood and Old Navy. I’ve also just ordered a couple things from LOFT and Pink Blush but I’ve yet to receive them. I plan on living in skirts and dresses this summer, also just picked up a couple cute non-maternity maxi skirts from Target.

As for baby registry items (although I can’t say they are must haves on personal experience but think they will be) are baby books, meals or a meal service or take-out gift cards, and many of the other items previously mentioned by others. I’m using BabyList (http://babyli.st/) for my registry, it’s great, lets you add items from any store and you can also add ‘coupons’ for services (baby sitting, cleaning, snow removal, etc.).

Looking forward to following your journey and I am looking forward to more baby friendly meals on the blog!

Megan May 24, 2014 at 7:08 am

I bought this organic baby food puree book for a friend’s baby and she really liked it.

Jana May 24, 2014 at 8:25 am

If I had it to do over again, I would not get expensive baby bedding. So not worth it.

Vicki Karg May 24, 2014 at 8:43 am

I have a 5 week old and my absolute essentials so far have been:
– Water Wipes (bought on Amazon), no nasty chemicals, just water and a little bit of plant extract. Amazing!
– Happy Wrap, for baby wearing I figured I’d get too hot but this one is light weight as it’s made of Bamboo and my little man loves it! I wear it ALOT and can breastfeed with him in there too. Hello freedom!
– Coconut Oil! For pregnancy to help prevent stretch marks and also as nipple cream once babe arrives for those first few days of both of you figuring out how to latch properly!
Enjoy!

Sarah May 25, 2014 at 1:18 am

The tricky thing is that your list might be the complete opposite from any of ours because it’s such an individual family thing. Here are the things I couldn’t have done without:
1. Ergo – I seriously could not have done without this thing! I have a snuggly baby, and she wanted to be near me all the time. This was the only way I could get anything done when she was little.
2. Breast pump – I was going to wait until I went back to work to get one, but I needed my pump pretty much from day one, and apparently that’s pretty common. And yes, it was absolutely worth the extra money to get a double pump. At least for me.
3. Nipple cream – We would not have made it past the first week without that stuff. I used lanolin, but I know there are a ton of other things out there. Going topless and just letting the air heal it works best, but it isn’t always an option.
4. White noise machine – I know this is probably on a lot of people’s optional or “splurge” lists, but it was an unexpected shower gift that was an absolute lifesaver for us. She slept sooooo much better with it on and I decided that every shower I go to from now on, this is what I’m giving them!
5. Sleepers – Our little girl lived in zippered sleepers for the first 6 months, at least. I preferred those to snaps because I hated lining snaps up during middle of the night diaper changes.

That’s all the “stuff” I really felt like we needed. We used some other stuff that was helpful, but these were the ones we both felt like were essentials. I would also recommend requesting some clothes in larger baby sizes. We actually specifically requested no clothes because I was getting so many hand-me-downs from my sisters’ girls. We still got tons because everyone wanted to buy newborn and 0-3 month clothes because they’re so cute. She outgrew them so fast and I was given so many of them that I felt bad for not getting people’s money worth out of them. Then when she was 6 months old, she had very few clothes other than the hand-me-downs.

Sarah May 30, 2014 at 3:26 am

I forgot to add the nosefrida to the list. It sounds absolutely disgusting, but there’s a filter and the way it’s made, it’s really not as bad as it sounds. The bulb syringes, on the other hand, get disgusting inside.

I also cloth diaper, and I love my bumgenius and flips. Those have worked the best for us, by far. Everyone told me to get a variety of kinds to try them out and see what worked best, but I pretty much knew from the start that those were the ones.

Nicole May 25, 2014 at 11:33 am

I’ve had two babies (youngest is currently 4 months), and cannot say enough amazing things about the Ergo carrier. Seriously, you need it, and don’t even bother with other brands. Between the two babies, I’ve worn it for thousands of hours. Both of my babies have loved it for comfort, sleeping and just hanging out. They feel safe and snug, and I feel comfortable and my hands are free! It’s great when you have a fussy baby and just need to push through until bedtime/naptime. Also, if you like to walk at all (I walk A LOT), this is essential. A good stroller is nice too, but strollers are really limited in terms of walking on trails, anywhere with stairs, malls and stores with narrow aisles, busy sidewalks etc. So, although you need a decent stroller for some outings and travel (I recommend the Baby Jogger City Select or City Mini), the Ergo will get far more day-to-day use. Other than that, velcro swaddle blankets, a good travel diaper roll/change pad (this can just go in a large purse – you do not need a fancy diaper bag), a full set of cloth diapers (I very highly recommend GroVia hybrids – I did my research and I’m currently getting a second round of use with these with my second baby. I’m extremely happy with them) with two wet bags and a full set of re-usable bum clothes (I just use baby cloths in plain water for cleaning breastmilk poop. Once the poos change with solid foods, washing gets a bit more complicated). Older babies (4 months plus) get a lot of use out of the jolly jumper, a good playmat and the bumbo chair. For younger babies, I suggest the Bjorn bouncy chair. My fav highchair (which my daughter STILL uses in its converted form at 5 yrs) is the SVAN (it’s pricey – find it used).

Nicole May 25, 2014 at 11:39 am

Oh, and with the second baby, I’ve had a video monitor, which I’ve really liked. I didn’t even use an audio monitor with my first (we were in a small condo then), but I kind of wish I’d had this video monitor. It’s a bit of a luxury, and totally not necessary, but something to think about.

Carolyn October 1, 2016 at 4:42 pm

i know this is old, i’m revisiting this section because I’m due with my first soon and have been researching video monitors for way too long! what kind did you use that you loved?

Heather May 25, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Hi Angela!

I love your blog and cookbook! I’ve been vegan for 1.5 years now and we’re raising our 3 children (6, 3.5 and 5 months) vegan as well, my husband is mostly plant-based. All the recipes I’ve tried thus far have been a huge hit with the family. Thanks for the yummy recipes.

Baby must haves (things I use(d) everyday:

Double electric breast pump
Hands free pumping bra
Boob-ease or Honest brand nipple cream (I’ve been beyond happy with all Honest products- baby and household)
Reuseable organic nursing pads
Boppy pillow
BornFree glass bottles
Medela milk storage bottles
Boon lawn drying rack
Dishwasher rack (nipples, pacifiers, infant/toddler cutlery), etc.

Chicco and or Diono car seats
JJ Cole Car seat cover ( shower cap style, doesn’t interfere with safety)
Baby Jogger City Mini (lightweight, super easy fold)

Muslin Swaddle Blankets (JJ Cole and Aden and Anais)
Muslin bibs & burp cloths (JJ Cole, Aden & Anais, BornFree)
Cloth Diapers (Charlie Banana and GroVia)
Cloth Wipes
Halo Sleepsacks
Baby sleep gowns, makes nighttime changes so easy (I love Carter’s, Baby Gap and Circo from Target)

Arms Reach Mini CoSleeper
Organic bedding
Breathable Baby Bumper

Fisher Price Cradle Swing
Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper
Playmat
Exersaucer or jumperoo
OXO Sprout Highchair
Ergo baby wrap (essential for teeny babies who want held by momma 24/7)
Lillebaby All Seasons or Airflow (super comfy for mom & baby and multiple carrying positions)

I hope some of this helps

Julie May 27, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Target also has great maternity clothes. My baby is 4 months old now and I’m still living in the Liz Lange tank tops – the are great for nursing.

Key baby items for us were a boppy, side snap shirts (for the baby), miracle blanket, lots of wash cloths, nipple ointment. And a really comfy recliner for the nursery.

Janine May 27, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Keep it simple! Borrow as much as you can or get it off kijiji, because half of the stuff you get you won’t even use – every baby is so different. DO get a good carrier. My 6 week old is in a moby wrap at least half of the day while I chase around her older brother… she much prefers this to a baby bjorn or sling. If you use cloth diapers get a diaper sprayer that hooks onto the toilet. A good stroller is also a good investment (I vote Bob). If you like to camp, a seat that clips onto the picnic table is handy (also handy for a backyard table). Don’t feel like you need to get everything now, all you need for the first while is breastmilk, blankets and a good carrier.

Brett Marie May 27, 2014 at 9:30 pm

You look fabulous!

Having had three babies in three years, here’s my thoughts. The two most important things you need when having a baby are grace and flexibility. Seriously, you are going to have to give yourself (and your spouse) grace as you navigate this exciting, and at times overwhelming, new path of parenthood. Also, it’s great to have a “plan” (like a birth plan, nursing plan, baby schedule/plan, etc), but be ready to be flexible and to be at peace with yourself (no mommy guilt!) for when things don’t go according to “the plan”. Because life usually has a way of doing that!

Material things for baby:
– baby swing
– muslin swaddle blankets
– nose frida
– a & d ointment
– ergo
– baby nail clipper
– sleeping gowns, onesies, zipper sleep and plays
– white noise machine/app
– if you’re eventually planning to add to the family a convertible stroller such as the baby jogger city select
– cross-body diaper bag (to keep hands free for changes/feedings)
– cloth diapers (used as burp rags, way more absorbent then burp cloths)
– baby monitor
– bath bear sponge, to bathe baby on
– disposable cloth wipes (sensitive wipes were too irritating for all 3 of my babies’ bums)
– exergen thermometer

Material things for yourself:
– big maxi pads, witch hazel pads, spray bottle, possibly colace and ibuprofen
– freezer meals (I usually did about a month’s worth)
– stocked pantry
– journal (for keeping track of feedings)
– supportive friend(s)/family

Lastly expect some hormonal fluctuations/resetting after giving birth and give yourself permission to feel exhausted ;)
Hope that is helpful.

Melissa May 28, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I enjoyed reading everyone’s comments as much as your post :) Isn’t it interesting the things that some people loved and others never used. I always thought the baby stores were so crazy full of gadgets and whatnots but now that I’m pregnant with number two I guess every baby is different and who knows what gadgets will safe your life :)
My only tip, if you’re not sure about an item leave it in it’s packaging and/or tape the receipt to it. Then if baby is 3 months and you realize you never cared to fish it out of the drawer you can return.

Megan O May 29, 2014 at 7:50 am

I just wanted to throw out there that the absolute best diaper rash ointment I’ve found is plain ol’ coconut oil. I have a little girl, 18 months, and she will get a yeast type rash occasionally that is more smooth and red but coconut oil will clear it up almost instantly. I keep a baby food jar of virgin, unrefined coconut on my changing table. Some people might suggest not having a changing table but we bought a dresser and attached a changing pad to the top so it doesn’t have only one use. All her clothes, diapers, creams, wipes, lotions and powders were within hand’s reach. I seriously think having one station to do it all is completely worth it. Plus, if you have a vaginal birth, you won’t feel like sitting on the floor anytime soon. We love the noise machine, my daughter sleeps better and for a longer length of time with in on. I didn’t want to invest in a basinet but that was a mistake, luckily my mom have given my a pack-n-play with a sleeper and a changing table with optional storage that stayed next to my bed for the first three months. I didn’t want to walk into the other room in the middle of the night to change diapers or clothes. Other than that if you have plenty of burp clothes and a comfy place to feed, you should be set.

Haha, I’m sure that was more two-cents than you had asked for but that is what I learned in the past 18 months.

Steph F June 7, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I just got your book, and in love with every recipe I have tried. I have a severe peanut and nut allergy, so I’m limited with which ones I can try. I swear the chia donuts and coconut whip cream is positively orgasmic! Loooove!

Congrats on your pregnancy! I have a little daughter who is six months, and I read your posts and teared up, as I remember the joy of feeling her grow inside me… Such a miracle!

As for the gear… FOR MAMA:I loooove all of the Earth Mama/baby balms. I have used the nipple cream (amazing for dry hands after excessive after diaper washes, and for lips… Tastes like cocoa)( FYI lanolin sucks and stains everything… Skip it) the baby bottom balm is the only balm that cleared her diaper rash and kept yeast away, the mama bottom balm is soothing for your sore lady bits too ;) other tips for you, a spill free water bottle for lots of water drinking in the middle of the night, when baby cries and you are dilerious…. You will thank me that you didn’t place a glass on your bedside table. Cotton top pads, not the mesh kind as stitches can get stuck… Ouch. Witch hazel, and Epsom salts are also soothing for your post partum bottom.

Now the fun stuff BABY!
-I love the aden and anais sleep sacks. I wish I has their swaddle sack too when she was little, no loose blankets to worry about and babe is snuggled tight. Their blankets are also amazing!
-baby carrier, I have the boba carrier and love it for this age. I’ve heard amazing things about the Tula ones too
– nook play mat, it’s definitely a splurge gift, but I love the natural materials, and construction. It’s soft for her to play on, and helpful for mama’s sore feet after hours I’d walking and rocking
– snugglebugz.ca/baby-shusher-the-sleep-miracle.html this saved our life. It helped calm our daughter and save our sanity. Such a great purchase. Just be mindful of how close and how loud you use it, to avoid any damage to baby girl’s ears.
– Oliver Jeffers books are cute and have beautiful illustrations
– snugglebugz.ca/bunch-a-farmers-stain-remover.html this natural stain remover is perfect for baby blow outs. Be sure to wash and hand scrub the stain ASAP
– if you aren’t using cloth ans want a more natural diaper, the honest company diapers are awesome. And have the cutest patterns!!
– fancy newborn clothes proved to be a nausance. Sleepers are the way to go, easy for mom and prevents crying that often occurs with the cute over the head outfits when she’s little.

Haha I could go in forever with more tips, but I won’t overwhelm you. Best of luck!

S

Jennifer June 11, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but a water bottle with a straw – I’ve been using a camelbak one. Amazing for the end of pregnancy when you’re resting and don’t want to sit up to drink water. For labour – easier to take small sips & a lifesaver for breastfeeding when the insatiable thirst hits & you can have the bottle sitting (or lying) wherever you are feeding without spilling, you can drink without even touching the bottle if your hands are full!
(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-eddy-bottle-750ml/)

Amanda June 13, 2014 at 4:42 pm

So much good advice above. I’d add two things:

1. We discovered a swaddle called Woombie that made life so much easier. It just has a zipper; no need to deal with any snaps or complicated wrappings.

2. Please do not listen to the scare tactics of anti-vaxers who got their medical degrees from Google U. They will play on your natural anxieties as a new mother. Your doctor can be trusted. Vaccines are safe and preferable to measles, whooping cough, etc.

Congratulations on your daughter! She is in for a treat with her mom’s cooking, to be sure!

Robyn June 20, 2014 at 10:36 am

HI Angela!

Congrats! I’m a bit behind as I just had my first baby in September. It is the most wonderful thing ever. I am amazed by how much you can love someone without even knowing their personality. One of the things I realized that I won’t do for my second is register for bedding. Of course you want to decorate your baby girl’s room but the only part of the bedding you actually use for the first couple of years is the sheets. As soon as your child sits up/ starts pulling up, and you have to drop the mattress down, the bed skirt becomes useless. You can’t use the comfort for the first couple of years either. I purchased a breathable mesh bumper which I highly recommend getting. The thing that has given me the most piece of mind though is the Angel Care Monitor. It goes under the mattress and monitors your babies breathing. If they stop breathing for more than 20 seconds an alarm goes off. Having that has helped me sleep when my son is sleeping. Also, LOVED the book 12 hours sleep by 12 weeks old. Worked like a charm for myself and one of my friends. Moms on Call is a great resource to. They have a website you should check out.
Congrats again and best of luck to all of you!
-Robyn

Emily April 23, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Hi Angela!

Would you be able to share the name of the Doula you used? I’m due in early October and live in the Halton area and would love to use her services :)

Thank you!!