Smoky & Spicy Nut, Sesame, and Coconut ‘Bacon’ Bar Nuts

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 17, 2014

smokybarnuts-5388

I really can’t say that I intended to get this recipe up before Valentine’s Day because I didn’t think of it until the 15th. Heck, it would’ve made a great Superbowl appetizer too! Oh well, better late than never. Olympics appetizer, anyone?

You may not know this, but Eric was a squirrel in his former life. Or at least I think there’s a good chance. Any time he’s hungry for a snack you can be sure his hand will be in the jar of almonds or cashews. After demolishing the stash he says, “You might want to write almonds/cashews on the grocery list…” It’s a constant struggle to keep nuts stocked in this house, I tell you. I guess I should be happy that he enjoys a healthy snack even if he does dip into my coveted baking stash.

We usually don’t do anything too fancy for the 14th; good food tends to always make an appearance though. There’s a recipe for coconut bacon in my bonus recipe bundle and Eric thinks it’s just about the best thing going. So this weekend, I decided to make an edible gift inspired by that recipe, sneaking in his favourite nuts. I knew this spicy & smoky mix would make his head spin!

From start to finish this recipe takes less than 30 minutes, but you’d never know from the gourmet end result. The addition of large flake coconut is just divine – the coconut flakes get all crispy in the oven, adding an unexpected element to traditional roasted nuts. I don’t think I’ll make roasted nuts without flaked coconut from now on! Throw this mix into a cute jar for an easy gift that will be enjoyed by many sneaky hands.

barnuts

3.7 from 3 reviews

Smoky & Spicy Nut, Sesame, and Coconut 'Bacon' Bar Nuts

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free

By

Intensely smoky, spicy, and toasty - this roasted nut mix is a great party appetizer. Sweet almonds and cashews are a lovely contrast to the smoky, savoury flavour of the liquid smoke, coconut aminos, smoked paprika, sea salt, and cayenne pepper. Just a warning: the smoked flavour is very strong while cooking (and after) - I suggest opening a window before beginning and putting on the range fan, if desired.

Yield
3 cups
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

• 1 cup raw cashew halves
  • 1 cup raw whole almonds
  • 3/4 cup large-flake unsweetened coconut (not shredded coconut)
  • 2 tablespoons hulled sesame seeds
  • 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or low-sodium tamari
  • 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (depending on how smoky you like it)
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the cashews, almonds, coconut, and sesame seeds.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together the coconut aminos (or tamari), maple syrup, liquid smoke, salt, paprika, and cayenne until combined.
  4. Pour wet ingredients on top of the nuts and stir well with a spatula until thoroughly coated.
  5. With the spatula, scoop the mixture onto the prepared sheet. Use the spatula to get all the liquid and seeds off the side of the bowl and spoon it onto the nut mixture.
  6. Spread nuts out into a thin layer.
  7. Bake at 325F for 10 minutes, stir, and bake another 10 minutes, or until the coconut flakes are golden. Turn on the range fan and open a window while it bakes as the smoked aroma is powerful.
  8. Cool for 10 minutes on the pan. Store in a glass jar.

Nutrition Information

Tips:

Note: To make this recipe soy-free, use coconut aminos.

smokybarnuts-5389

Page 2 of 2«12
Jenny February 19, 2014 at 6:29 am

If these are as good as they sound I have to try them!

Linda Schaap February 19, 2014 at 8:12 am

That looks like an amazing recipe to convince the guys that eating healthy can be absolutely tasty! Will not tell them it’s healthy till AFTER they ate it, just to make sure the’ll try ;)

Ellen February 19, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I am trying to figure out the calorie count…love this recipe.
Figured 1/4 c equals about 180 cals
I am trying to lose weight and need the portion control.does this seem right?
Love your blog

Dominique February 21, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Just wondering where you got your large-flake coconut and if it’s sulphite-free? I recall seeing some sulphite-free coconut at Whole Foods (I’m in Toronto) but can’t recall if it was flaked or just shredded. Thanks!

C L February 22, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I had it for breakfast, I had it for lunch, I added it into my mix-green salad with tahini dressing…I wonder how it would go with some ice cream?

Kira - The Healthable Old Soul February 22, 2014 at 9:17 pm

This is defiantly my ‘style’ of bacon! Coconut shreds!

Victoria February 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm

These are awesome! I couldn’t find large-flake coconut, so I just added Trader Joe’s Roasted Coconut flakes afterward and they added a nice sweet dimension to it. Definitely will be making these again!

Susan February 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Made these for a cocktail party on Sat. I tasted them first and thought, woot woot, I will have leftovers and can’t wait, the mix tastes AMAZING.
Well I wasn’t the only one who liked it, it was gone… my reserve stash and all…. gone.
Will be making more very soon.
Super tasty and easy. Will become a hostess and holiday gift also.

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2014 at 10:15 am

Hey Susan, I’m so happy to hear they were a hit – thanks!

Fiona February 28, 2014 at 4:50 am

This is sooo good! I made it as described except left out the sesame seeds and my Eric loves it too! I also made your carrot, lentil, sunflower pesto dish two nights ago and we loved it! I can’t wait for your cookbook to arrive!!!

Lauren @ ConvenientKitchen March 2, 2014 at 10:33 am

I love spicy nut mixes and it’s impossible to find a decent one in stores around my house. This looks great!

Alexandra March 13, 2014 at 12:15 pm

These look delicious! I am constantly snacking on nuts so these seem like a must make! I usually stick to raw almonds, pistachios and raisins but this seems like the perfect little treat.

Alli March 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Ok seriously, all your recipes are too good! I can’t believe how amazing these taste and how easy it was to make!

Carol October 26, 2014 at 9:29 am

OMG!! Gotta try these! Now I have to run out and get some liquid smoke lol !!

Jennifer December 22, 2014 at 6:52 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this as a gift for my dad this Christmas.
I keep picking at it bc it’s so good. At this rate, I’ll be shocked if it makes to Christmas day. Thanks for the recipe!

Lea Jacobson May 15, 2016 at 7:55 am
Recipe Rating:

Wow- this was really delicious! I’ve tried several coconut bacon recipes, but this one was just perfect. My friends all loved it too. Thanks for creating this!

bgv a3 November 14, 2017 at 2:24 am
Recipe Rating:

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted
and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
Do you have any points for novice blog writers?
I’d genuinely appreciate it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Hey there, So sorry to hear your previous comment was gobbled up! That’s never fun.
As for blogging tips, I think enjoying the blogging process is one of the most important keys to success. If you love what you do, it really shows, and that passion can take you a long way! Especially during a creative “drought”. With so many blogs out there now, I think it’s important to find your niche, and let readers know why you are offering something unique and/or worth coming back to.

Deb January 19, 2018 at 10:21 am

Tried this exactly as printed, fail for me, the flavors are way too overpowering. It wasn’t sweet, or spicy, the smoke and aminos overpowered everything.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Sorry to hear that, Deb! Thanks for letting me know.

Debra February 4, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Hi Angela,

Thanks for responding, I have to say my tastebuds must have been OFF the day I made these. I made them originally to take to our camping group and so when I thought they were overpowering, I was in a “do i take them or not?” decision. My husband said take them anyway so I did and put them out on the happy hour table (a day after I made them). Something must have happened overnight because all the carnivores in our group were CRAZY for them. I liked them better the next day as well, flavors mellowed out. Seriously, I brought that and another vegan appetizers and folks were like “we love this vegan stuff you bring”… So funny considering this meat-eating crowd. . So I take it back, they were a hit.!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 5, 2018 at 9:02 am

Oh Debra, that’s so great to hear!! Interesting about the flavours mellowing out too..I bet it was the smoke flavour! It can be overpowering at times. Thanks for letting me know!