8 Favourite Vegan Lunch & Dinner Recipes of 2013

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 2, 2014

bestveganrecipes

Happy New Year! I hope 2014 is being good to you so far. I spent the first day of the year watching the Winter Classic hockey game (so fun!), working on a bonus e-book (details to come), and making a tasty soup recipe with Eric. It was a fun, quiet day…no complaints here!

This past year brought with it many challenges, as they always do. One major work-related challenge for me was juggling recipe creation, writing, and testing for both the cookbook and this blog. Most of the time I felt like I wasn’t accomplishing much on either end, always torn between both demands even though I was working more hours than ever. There were a lot of unexpected stressors that came up along the way. I learned so much from writing a book and I’m so grateful for the experience though. It pushed me way out of my comfort zone and forced me to improve, grow, and learn in many different areas. I like to think of 2012/2013 as recipe creation boot camp. After 2 intense years, I’m eager to start new projects. Oh, and make more time for fun. Who knows what adventures 2014 will bring…

I heard a quote yesterday from Dick Irvin who said something to the effect of, “When life knocks you down, make sure it knocks you forward.” What wise words! It reminds me of my dear grandpa who has been through so many difficult challenges with his health over the past few years. They definitely knocked him forward, I can say with utmost certainty. And not only did his positivity get him through the toughest of times, but he tells my mom what a blessing it has been because it brought out the best in his family. My goal for 2014 is to be knocked forward from whatever challenges may come my way. As luck would have it, I trip on things a lot so hopefully this forward momentum continues!

As I like to do at the beginning of each year, I’ve put together a list some of my favourite vegan recipes from the past year. Since many of us, myself included, tend to be looking for healthy lunch and dinner ideas for the new year, I thought this list would be especially timely. So here they are, my favourite lunch and dinner recipes of 2013! I’ve included the top 3 most clicked entrée recipes at the end of this post in case you are curious which ones got the most hits. And of course, feel free to tell me yours in the comments!

1. Thai Sweet Potato Burgers with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free option, refined sugar-free

Bursting with flavour, these Thai-inspired veggie burgers will make your every dream come true! The patties are made with a base of shredded sweet potato and chickpeas and are flavoured with fresh garlic, ginger, cilantro, basil, and a sprinkle of lime juice and sesame seed oil. Oh my lanta, they are good. These burgers are naturally gluten-free and you can make them soy-free by using coconut aminos instead of the tamari (or simply omit the tamari all together).

thaiburger-2377

2. Roasted Buddha Bowl

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, sugar-free

Crunchy roasted chickpeas and hearty roasted cauliflower and broccoli are topped with a creamy cashew-based lemon tahini sauce. Try serving it with a base of quiona for a meal that will keep you going for hours. I’ve even heard from a few moms that their young children love this bowl!

buddhabowl-2460

3. Ultimate 4-Layer Vegan Sandwich

Vegan, no bake/raw, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free

Do I ever love a great sandwich. Toasted sprouted grain bread is slathered with hummus and homemade sun-dried tomato hemp pesto all topped off with sliced avocado, tomato, and red pepper flakes. This is one vegan sandwich that you won’t soon forget! Try it in a wrap if you don’t want to use toasted bread. For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free bread (or wrap) or try serving it wrapped in Bibb lettuce for a grain-free option.

sandwich

4. Rad Rainbow Raw Pad Thai

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake, refined sugar-free, soy-free option

Ready to feel amazing? This salad is inspired by a raw Pad Thai dish I enjoyed at a restaurant called Marbles in Waterloo. It just might be one of my favourite recipes of all time. It’s hard to rival how energized and happy I feel after eating it! For a soy-free option omit the edamame (you can throw in a bean of choice) and use coconut aminos instead of tamari.

rawpadthai-6808

5. Sundried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Tofu Quiche

Vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free

This was my first time making a tofu quiche and it blew us away! Many of you are loving it too; I’ve had so many rave reviews about this quiche. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack. I’ve made this a few different ways simply by changing up the vegetables used. One version used asparagus (1 cup diced) and broccoli (1.5 cups diced), which was also very nice. The only thing I would advise against is using a high-water vegetable, like fresh tomatoes as it might result in a water-logged quiche. Best of all, it reheats well. Simply place leftover quiche on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350F.

quiche-8645

6. Smoky Butternut Squash Sauce with Pasta and Greens

Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, sugar-free

Creamy comfort food at its finest. This recipe is adapted from my Butternut Squash Mac and Cheeze recipe from 2011. While the former version is a huge hit on the blog, some of you didn’t like how sweet the sauce is. This version I’m sharing today is still quite sweet thanks to the butternut squash and cashews, but I’ve tried to balance it out better with some smoky seasonings like liquid smoke, chili powder, smoked paprika, and some hot sauce for a kick and more depth of flavour. It’s a big hit in this house. This sauce is also great heated up and poured over roasted vegetables and brown rice if you don’t want pasta. Use it any way you see fit! I think you’ll be surprised by how creamy and satisfying it is all without a lick of butter or oil.

veganmacandcheese-1909-2

7. Easy Flaked Almond “Tuna” Salad

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free option, no bake

I think this almond “tuna” salad tastes even better than the real thing. The base of this salad is made with plump soaked almonds which are processed until “flaked” in texture. To bulk up the flaked almonds, I added celery, garlic, and green onion for more flavour and crunch. Finally some oil-based mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and lemon juice brought everything together. The end result is creamy, crunchy, a bit tangy, and seriously, seriously hard to resist. I couldn’t stop eating it straight from the bowl! Try it on top of a salad, in cucumber cups, lettuce wraps, on toasted sprouted-grain bread.

almondtunabites-8486

8. Black Bean & Potato Nacho Plate

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, sugar-free, nut-free

This is the meal to make when you have no idea what to make.

This is the meal to make when you just want to devour a huge plate of nachos and call it dinner.

This plate is a staple in our house because we usually have most of the ingredients on hand. During the months when tomatoes are not in season, I like to use a jar of salsa instead of the cherry tomatoes.

potatoandblackbeannachos-3297

Here are the 2013 lunch/dinner recipes that had the most page views:

3. Green Powerhouse Pesto Plate

2. Roasted Buddha Bowl

1. Rad Rainbow Raw Pad Thai (<—2013 winner!!)

Did you have a favourite recipe form 2013? Share below!

Wishing you all the best 2014 has to offer.

Page 2 of 2«12
Heather @ The Soulful Spoon January 4, 2014 at 1:52 am

I ADORE this post! You know I can relate so much to that quote! I may share that with my readers soon. Thank you for putting it in your blog post, because I’ve never heard it and it really helped me on such a stressful ( but GREAT , aka FORWARD day). Your’e such an inspiration Angela! I can’t wait to make your latest beet smoothie either from yesterday’s post. It looks delish!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2014 at 8:30 am

Heather, I’m so glad the quote resonated with you too! I’m going to keep it in mind, for sure. :)

Lindy January 4, 2014 at 10:53 am

We love the green powerhouse pesto bowl, the rad rainbow pad thai and also Hasselback potatoes which we make often!! (pesto bowl and potatoes both on next weeks menu)

Julia January 4, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Thank you for this great recipe roundup, I have already bookmarked so many to try – your recipes are always so tasty and beautifully photographed! Happy 2014:)

Elyse @ Lizzie Fit January 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I’ve never had quiche even before going vegan… I need to try that and, well, every other recipe on the faves list!

Jessica January 4, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Yum! I’ve made about half of these and look forward to making the rest soon! I made the butternut squash mac and cheese twice – once for thanksgiving dinner and once for Christmas dinner (different sides of the family) and everyone loved it! And none are veg at all! I put in a generous handful of nutritional yeast to make it a little more cheesy, so yummy!

Elle January 4, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Hi Angela,

I have very recently discovered your blog and want to thank you for such amazing content. I definitely will be taking some time out to give Oh She Glows a proper read. I’m excited to try some of your recipes on my Father in law who is a recent vegan convert :) Also wanted to add that, having read about your personal struggles and triumphs, I feel your reasons for starting this blog resonate quite deeply with me and I feel very inspired by someone who is a little further along in their personal journey than me.

I’ve recently started a personal blog, as I found writing was useful in calming my anxieties.

All the best,

Elle x

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Hi Elle, Thank you for your lovely comment! I’m so happy you are enjoying the blog. On that note, I’m off to check out your blog. I wish you all the best with this journey!

Lauren January 4, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Thanks for the recipe roundup! I’m looking forward to making a number of these recipes in the new year! Especially the thai sweet potato burger and the mac-and cheese! Can’t wait to finally get your cookbook :)

Kira - HealthAble Old Soul January 4, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I get so ‘HealthAble’ (excited with healthy) whenever I see your salads!!! I practically run to the kitchen just to try them!

Mary higgins January 4, 2014 at 6:10 pm

It’s a great start to inspire veganuary.. Thank you!

Johanna GGG January 5, 2014 at 12:25 am

how delicious it looks and how much I want to make one of these dishes rather than the dinner I have planned – happy new year and look forward to many more of your delicious recipes this year

The Wooden Spoon January 5, 2014 at 9:11 am

The rainbow pad thai looks delicious! I avoided dishes like pad thai because I felt so heavy after eating them and after eating them for several years living in Thailand, my waist line definitely needed a break. This is the perfect alternative! Happy New Year!

Stephanie January 5, 2014 at 10:56 am

I’m happy to say that I’ve tried a few of those! They were all great. Happy New Year!

Labanca January 6, 2014 at 2:18 am

hey thanks, hope each and every recipe would have different and mouth watering taste.. And am gonna try each one for a week…. Thanks.

Julie January 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm

We make the Rainbow Pad Thai all the time and can’t stay out of be bowl! We add buckwheat soba noodles to the recipe and it’s delish! I was so happy to see it made the best of 2014!

Hillary January 9, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Working my way down this list and loving cooking from your recipes. Thanks for inspiring

Alexandra January 10, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I don’t know if it is a 2013 recipe, but your brownies are absolutely fantastic and I am hooked on the apple pie oatmeal. I am eating it every day (the oatmeal, not the brownies ;-)). So thank you for your beautiful recipes!

Jenny January 13, 2014 at 5:29 am

Me and my two boys made the Sundried Tomato, Mushroom, and Spinach Tofu Quiche yesterday and it was great. Thanks very much (the boys had great fun as well…)

Karenliz January 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

My daughter is vegan and we go see her for Thanksgiving so I googled “vegan thanksgiving” and your site showed up first. Thats where I found Holiday Soup for the Soul. OMG my absolute favorite soup. It’s so filling and yummy. During the Christmas holiday we made the Thia Sweet Pototo burgers and they are so yummy with the peanut sauce. I can’t wait to see what new recipes you have next!

Jessica January 14, 2014 at 1:55 pm

The raw rainbow pad thai is amazing. I brought this to a work picnic where I was the only vegan. I wanted to make sure I had something satisfying and delicious to eat and to share. It was a huge hit! It was all gone, and everyone was raving about it. Thanks, Angela, for so many amazing dishes!!

Vegan Grammie Annie January 16, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Hi Angela,

I am a new visitor to your site as well as a new blogger, posting about a philosophy for life that is very dear to my heart. So, I have not had a chance to try any of your recipes, but do appreciate an overview of your 2013 goodies. Thanks very much.

Stephanie January 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm

The 4-layer sandwich is my absolute favorite! My meat loving boyfriend asks for it all the time and whenever I bring it to work, I get tons of requests for your recipe!

You are the first stop anytime I’m looking for a new recipe (which is just about everyday!). I can’t get enough of your delicious recipes, there hasn’t been one that has turned out poorly!

Carolina January 22, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I always make the golden beet quinoa dish and the powerhouse pesto plate! Those have become frequent remakes at my house. Love all the recipes though..

Walmaria Caldas January 27, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I came across your website last year when my 6 year old son had to go on a gluten and egg free diet. Since then I have tried many of your recipes. Thank you for offering you knowledge and delicious recipes for all of us!
Walmaria

Kimberly February 19, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Angela,

You are a genius! I’d like to thank you for taking the time to create this website. Beautiful photos with great writing that’s always making me lol and recipes to live for! Thank you so so so much. Your recipes are one of the reasons I would never even consider going back to meat. You make eating healthy so fun and fulfilling. (:

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2014 at 8:35 am

Thank you Kimberly! That means a lot :)

Kimberly February 20, 2014 at 11:23 am