Things I’m Loving Lately – November Edition!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 11, 2013

cinnamon

1. Saigon Cinnamon

Last month I tried my first jar of Saigon cinnamon, and as you can probably tell, I really enjoyed it! Saigon cinnamon is stronger and more fragrant than traditional Ceylon cinnamon, so I find a little bit goes a long way. I just need to find it in bulk because these tiny jars were clearly not made for cinnamon addicts like myself.

[edited to add: Some of you brought to my attention that Saigon cinnamon may lead to liver damage. It contains coumarin which can be toxic in small amounts. I now buy Ceylon cinnamon (“true” cinnamon) which is considered to be a safer form of cinnamon without the potential effects on the liver.

2. Sauerkraut

Where have you been all my life? Can you believe this month was the first time I tried sauerkraut? For those who aren’t familiar, Sauerkraut is finely chopped fermented cabbage. Due to the fermentation process, it’s filled with healthy bacteria for a happy gut. I really wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I did, but friends, it’s absolutely fabulous. I’m putting it on toasted sandwiches, veggie burgers, wraps, salads, and more. You know what comes next…making my own! I hear it’s pretty easy.

chickpeamagazine

[photo via Chickpea Magazine]

3. Chickpea Magazine

I recently had the honour of being interviewed by the lovely Amanda Aldinger for Chickpea Magazine in this quarter’s Winter 2013 issue! Chickpea magazine is a whole foods, plant-based, 100% vegan magazine available in digital and print copies. Anyone who is familiar with this magazine knows the high quality content and photographs in each and every issue. I’m constantly in awe of the work they do and I couldn’t be happier to be featured. Thanks again to the entire team at Chickpea Magazine!

TGIOM_POSTER

4. The Ghosts In Our Machine

I recently participated in a pre-screening of a new animal liberation documentary called The Ghosts In Our Machine (released this month!) which “illuminates the lives of individual animals living within and rescued from the machine of our modern world”. The documentary features the talented, inspiring, and courageous Jo-Anne McArthur, who is an award-winning Canadian photojournalist documenting the plight of animals in factory farms, the mink fur trade, animal lab testing, marine parks, and zoos across all 7 continents. Jo-Anne says her mission in life is to raise awareness about animal issues and to photograph the predicament that animals are in because of humans.

“I truly believe that it’s innate that we’re all compassionate and that if we are given the opportunity to care, we will.” ~ Jo-Anne McArthur

I can’t tell you the profound impact this documentary has had on me. I’ve watched it twice now and I’m telling everyone to go see it as soon as possible. To locate a screening in your area (or to request a screening!), see this page. You can view the trailer below:

Well, this is getting long so I think I’ll end on this note today. Hoping you take a moment today to remember those who gave their lives for this beautiful country. xo

Johnmccraememorialbookcloseup02

[photo via Wikipedia under the Creative Commons license.]

Page 2 of 2«12
Dorian November 12, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Literally 2 seconds after seeing your post, I ordered a yearly subscription to Chickpea. I’ve been looking for a high quality 100% vegan magazine so thank you for the tip. Can’t wait for your cookbook to come out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Awesome :) I hope you love it!

Joelle November 12, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Next you’ll have to try baking with sauerkraut. It’s wonderful in cakes, adding texture and moisture, but don’t worry, the flavour disappears. I’ve been making a sauerkraut chocolate cake for years. Yum!

Also, next time you’re in the States, you MUST go to Penzeys for spices. That’s all they sell! You’ll be so excited! They ship to Canada, but charge a huge sum to do so (last time I checked). However they’re in many major cities (including Portland, which is where I go). Here’s their website just to get you excited: http://www.penzeys.com/ If you know someone who lives in the US and could re-ship your order to you, you should try them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Wow in cakes, for real?? Thats fun!
I’ll be on the hunt for a Penzey’s in Scottsdale while I’m there this week.

Denise Amos November 14, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Scottsdale AZ? yes there is a Penzeys there. It is in a small strip mall but DEFINETELY worth the extra effort to find them. Not even Kidding Angela, you will LOVE this store! They have a jar with each spice that you can open and smell to get an idea of how good the spice is. You MUST go there!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2013 at 8:48 am

I’m going TODAY! soooo excited I can hardly stand it.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 13, 2013 at 8:19 am

If you like sauerkraut … have you had kimchi? It’s Korean fermented cabbage, but it is spicy, and seriously the best food around!! I’m an addict. It’s a problem.

Christina November 13, 2013 at 8:54 am

Wow. The trailer alone, for that film, is extremely powerful. I was in tears. Seeing the innocence of animals being ripped apart is heart wrenching, but I think true visual images of what is happening to animals is what many people need to see reality and want to help make a change. I already pre-ordered the film, and can’t wait to share it with others. Thank you for sharing.

V November 14, 2013 at 1:10 am

I would avoid using Saigon cinnamon except for perhaps in baking. Saigon cinnamon contains coumarin, which is toxic. Stick with Ceylon if possible.

Madison @ Eating 4 Balance November 14, 2013 at 10:00 am

I have been searching for Bubbies EVERYWHERE since the first time I tried it a year ago. Only Whole Foods seems to sell it which is just too far away. I really hope that you make a homemade version soon and share the recipe! There are tons out there I’m sure, but they always make the directions so darn confusing :)

Elyse @ Lizzie Fit November 14, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Making your own sauerkraut is super easy! I made my first homemade batch a few weeks ago: http://lizziefit.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/homemade-sauerkraut/. It’s colorful unlike the traditional store-bought stuff and my veggies could stand to be sliced a bit thinner next time BUT it still turned out pretty good :) I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Angelia November 15, 2013 at 11:12 am

I live in Pennsylvania (Lancaster County). Around here, pork & sauerkraut are the “good luck” foods to eat on New Year’s Day. Many people make their own sauerkraut & the homemade stuff usually tastes better than the commercially made stuff (go figure!). I don’t eat meat, so I don’t eat the pork, but I DO love sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.

[email protected] November 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I’m a total cinnamon addict too! I love the Saigon Cinnamon from Cost Co. it’s a large bottle for a great price. It isn’t organic, but it is delicious.

Amy @ NoWheyNoCow November 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I recently fell in love with sauerkraut, too! I always buy the Real Pickles brand, which is naturally fermented without the use of vinegar. They make a garlic kraut, too, which is amazing!

Linda Wagner November 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I absolutely ADORE Bubbies sauerkraut! I put it on my avo toast all the time…I know that sounds strange but it’s actually really, really good! Also, love Chickpea Mag, congrats on your feature!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

ohh avocado toast is a GREAT idea!

char eats greens December 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

That documentary sounds and looks SO good. I can’t wait to watch it. And, when I got the email about the newest Chickpea mag and was browsing through it and saw your name, I went, “yay!!!!”

Jessica Ferlaak December 4, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Try the Bubbies Pickles- they are AMAZING!!! So good, and fermented too so great for getting in those fermented veggies that are really good for you! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2013 at 6:01 pm

pickles??? omg! Didn’t know about those…this changes everything…hahaha

Sacha Urban December 12, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I bought the same Bubbies sauerkraut and am ADDICTED! Because it’s pretty expensive (over $8/jar), I made some of my own. I used green and red cabbage in alternation to make it look pretty. It’s fermenting right now so I’ll let you know how it turned out. Tip: you can use the brine in Bubbie’s jar for your own IF do did not eat out of the jar, i.e. no bacteria was getting in. I read it too late and since I am the only one in the house eating sauerkraut, I just stuck my fork in. Let me know if your homemade kraut worked out!

Sarah April 22, 2014 at 9:06 am

Hey! You have to try Lawry’s Garlic Salt. I can only get it in the States when I visit, I honestly bring up a whole years worth when I go. It is beyond any type of garlic powder here in Canada. My friend works at the boarder and she tells me stories of people bringing back Lewry’s garlic salt by the suitcase!

Victoria M November 13, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Penzey’s has fantastic cinnamon. We buy a bulk bag. High quality.

Angelika December 23, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Saigon cinnamon can damage the liver especially children. See nutritionfacts.org I will stick with Ceylon and if it doesn’t say then it’s Saigon.

Mab December 31, 2014 at 1:27 pm

If you haven’t tried it yet, Farmhouse Culture is a great company from Santa Cruz, California. My favorite kraut is garlic dill pickle. It’s so good and goes perfectly on sandwiches, with vegan sausages, and straight outta the bag. They also make ginger beets and kimchi!

Also, i’ve been to Penzey’s a few times. Nice store with a great selection! They had a location in my hometown, Portland, Oregon.