5 Things I’m Loving Lately – Summer 2013 Edition

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 13, 2013

Putting together this series is quite fun. As soon as I publish a new things I’m loving lately post, I start a new list on the side of the refrigerator. Once I’ve collected a handful of new items that I love, it’s time to post another list!

You can find my previous lists here:

Here we go…

1. Desert Essence Organics Fragrance-Free Body Lotion

veganbeautyproducts-8411

My go-to body lotion. If you are like me and loathe strong fragrances in many beauty products, you’ll appreciate this fragrance-free Desert Essence Hand & Body Lotion. I’ve written about my love for Desert Essence products many times before, such as their body wash which I still use exclusively. This is my go-to body lotion that I’ve been using it for the past several months. The consistency and thickness is great (neither too thin nor too thick) and it leaves behind no greasy feel like some natural lotions can. Desert Essence also makes body lotions with natural fragrances if that is more your thing!

veganbeautyproducts-8413

2. Favourite Snack of the moment: Soaked Almonds

soaked almonds vs dry almonds-4009[3]

Once a week, I soak a cup of almonds in water overnight, rinse them off well in the morning, and then place the soaked almonds in a container for quick snacks all week long. There’s just something about hydrated, plump almonds that I adore! I really love the taste (they seem a bit more sweet when soaked) and texture. Best of all, soaking almonds makes them more digestible and your body will absorb the nutrients much easier. They are bursting with calcium and protein – 1/4 cup has 7.6 grams of protein and 91 mg of calcium. Not too shabby!

3. The Healthy Deodorant

veganbeautyproducts-8415

I’ve tried many natural deodorants over the years and none of them came close to being worthy of buying twice. I’m happy to report that I’ve found a natural deodorant that I love called The Healthy Deodorant by Lavanila. The rave reviews convinced me to try it out. It’s free of petrochemicals, aluminum, phthalates, synthetic dyes, sulfates, parabens, and more. It works comparable to regular drugstore deodorants that I’ve tried over the years. The only thing I’m not crazy about is this particular scent – grapefruit vanilla. I find it smells a lot like baby powder (I’m not a fan of baby powder smell at all). Fortunately, they have 7 other scents (like vanilla lavender and vanilla coconut!), so next time I will try one of those scents instead. In the US, you can find this deodorant for $14 USD on Amazon or Sephora.com. In Canada, it’ll set you back $23 CAD from Sephora.ca. It’s pricey, but I bought this back in April and my stick is still going strong 4 months later.

4. Eat Your Greens Medley – made with Lentils

IMG_20130810_112812

I made a version of my Eat Your Greens Chickpea Medley for a party this past weekend. This time I used tiny French green lentils (sadly, I was out of spinach though). A great twist on this recipe!

5. Beanitos Chips

beanitos

These black bean chips are not only genius, but so tasty. They have a fair amount of protein per serving (4 grams per 12 chips) and their ingredient list is short and sweet: Whole Black Beans, Whole Grain Long Brown Rice and/or Long Grain White Rice, Pure Sunflower and/or Safflower Oil, Guar Bean Gum, Sea Salt. My only complaint is that the chips are quite thin and they can break in hefty dips. Otherwise, two thumbs up.

Well, that’s a wrap for August 2013. What things are you loving lately?

Page 2 of 2«12
Kate August 14, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Where could I find Beanitos in Toronto?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hi Kate, I bought them at Organic garage in Oakville.

Sera August 14, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I was also inspired to make a version of the “Eat Your Greens” salad with lentils! I added: toasted walnuts, rehydrated sundried tomatoes and currants, sauteed carrots, green peppers, and fuji apple, and I used a dijon/balsamic dressing. Absolutely deeee-lish!

Charlie August 14, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I soak nuts all the time for recipes but never soak them to eat ad a snack. I have to try!

ARCpoint Labs of Cooper City August 14, 2013 at 4:39 pm

What? I’ve never thought about soaking the almonds! lol Definitely going to try this next time, I would enjoy the sweeter taste of them.

Samantha August 14, 2013 at 4:52 pm

OMG you must try the white bean beanito’s! They taste like tortilla chips. I may have finished a whole bag the other day… maybe it’s time for a beanito’s break ;).

Kate Norris August 14, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I’ve got almonds soaking now!!! Thanks for that tip, can’t wait to try them! I’m loving these delicious little almond candies we get at the farmer’s market!!! Those are delicious!

Jenna August 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I like your list except for one ingredient! I thought I should point out the fact that the Desert Essence Hand and Body Lotion contains Palm Glycerin. I’m not sure if you’re aware of the situation with the palm oil industry and the loss of orangutan habitats, but if not, it is horrendous. Orangutans are starving to death because of the loss of their habitat, they are burned to death when forests are set on fire to clear them for new palm oil plantations, and they are even being tortured for fun by the villagers when they wander into their villages after being displaced by deforestation. It is so heartbreaking and if you care about animals, it’s important to avoid any products that use palm ingredients….and unfortunately there are a lot. For more info, a good link is: http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/about_forests/deforestation/forest_conversion_agriculture/orang_utans_palm_oil/
and a good website is www.orangutan.org.au.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2013 at 9:57 am

Thanks for the info Jenna. I’m going to contact the company!

Shoba Shrinivasan August 14, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I`ve been using an Indian brand of luxurious ayurvedic products called “Forest Essentials”
http://www.forestessentialsindia.com/. The scents are amazing and completely sourced from essential plants and flowers. They have this Indian rose night cream and a Jasmine Patchouli Day Cream which smells heavenly! Its also free of parabens/sulphates/pthalates etc..My fav go to snack is almonds and walnuts, slightly roasted in the microwave. I also love bath salts from Forest Essentials or ones that I can make my own.

Shobha

Sue Clough August 15, 2013 at 7:50 am

Right now I’m loving anything with peaches and cherries. The peaches have been fabulous at the farmer’s markets. Regarding the deodorant, this might sound weird but I use Arbonne’s FC5 foot cream and LOVE it! It even works for me during my runs and yoga class. Two uses for one product!

Kaycee @ Fitface August 15, 2013 at 7:50 am

mmmm Blackbean chips sound SOOO yummy!

I actually made myself a homemade deoderant a few days ago, and it’s worked so good for me, I would even say it;s BETTER than the drugstore brands I’ve tried. I think I may have to do a post on it sometime soon!

Alisha August 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

5 things I been loving…
-Your site of course!! (Always loving it and thank you for it!)
-KALE…I never thought I would love it so much! Can not get enough in smoothies and salads!
-White bean Beanitos! So yum. Favorite chip hands down.
Raw walnuts and almond together. I’ll have to give the almonds a soak and see how that is!
-Plant based foods! (and all the incredible ways to prepare them)
Thank you for your site and all your incredible recipes!!

Tracy August 15, 2013 at 10:51 am

Love this post, keep more of them coming! Especially love hearing about beauty products.

Aimee August 15, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Purchased the Desert Essence lotion yesterday and just ordered the Lavanila from Amazon! I trust your opinion on ALL THINGS! Lol.

Alex @ Kenzie Life August 16, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Do you know if the deodorant leaves a white residue? That’s the biggest problem I have with stick deodorants. Nothing’s worse than wearing a LBD and having those tell-tale white streaks under your arms!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 17, 2013 at 9:04 am

It’s not a clear stick, so yeah it does leave marks!

Alex @ Kenzie Life August 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Thanks for the response, Angela! It still sounds like a good product!

Asuma August 18, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I’m hungry for the lentil dish and those chips!!! Mmmmmm :D

DJ August 19, 2013 at 9:49 am

I also love, love, love the Healthy Deodorant!! Finally a product that works!! I have tried and wasted so much time and money on other deodorants, only to be so disappointed. When I tried the Healthy Deodorant, I was a wee bit skeptical. I was happy to report that this deodorant works- even during exercise!! yeahhhhhhh. FINALLY !Thanks for all of your great tips.
DJ- the Natural Food Nut!

Katie Flores August 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

OMG! Those Beanitos are to die for! I love to bring those on a trip to the beach to feel a little bad ;) Now if only I could get in the habit of soaking my almonds on a regular basis.

Katie xoxo

Shanna August 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

Angela thank you so much for telling us about soaking the almonds in water. SERIOUSLY I had previously stopped eating almonds cause they were so dry, hard to chew, and hard to digest. I said I’m giving up on eating almonds. Then I tried soaking them and I LOVE THEM. So much better that way. now they’re my daily snack. Thanks a lot! :)

Ashley B. August 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for the soaked almonds idea! I’ve been putting them in my smoothies and salads (much easier to stab with a fork this way ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2013 at 9:40 pm

so glad you enjoy them too :)

Bri August 21, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I just recently discovered Beanitos, and I love them! I am allergic to corn, and it is very hard to find corn-free chips where I live. I don’t eat chips a lot, but when I do, it is almost always with salsa, and Beanitos go perfectly with it! :)

kimmythevegan August 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I like these posts! They always give me great ideas to try new things.
I LOVE beanitos!!!!! =D

Amy August 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Angela I went out and bought the Lavanilla deodorant today! I bought the vanilla blackberry and it is really really yummy! I’d suggest trying that one or the vanilla lavender :) Thanks for the suggestion!

LG September 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

I had been looking at that deoderant at Sephora…I’ll have to try it out! And the soaked almonds too. Currently my deoderant is the Crystal brand roll-on. It works pretty well for me, most days, and it’s quite inexpensive.

I’m loving my oatmeal/stevia/cinnamon/peanut butter combo for breakfast. So filling and comforting. :0)

Tara September 22, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Angela, for a fragrance-free (and aluminum-free) deodorant I suggest you try Milk of Magnesia. I’ve previously tried homemade coconut oil / baking soda deodorant and found that it wasn’t effective and also gave me a rash. I’ve been using milk of magnesia for the past 4 months – on hot days, stressful days, etc – with complete success (and no stains on clothes either). I’m converted =)

This site gives some information:

I hope this helps others as much as it helped me!

Ruthie May 2, 2014 at 1:38 am

What about using dried figs to replace the dates ( in response to the request for a date substitution).

Selma March 21, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Interesting tips. Will give it a shot.

My hubby just bought me some Lavilin – ever heard of it??