Summer Stone Fruit Crisp

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 6, 2013

stonefruitcrispvegangf-8090

Recently, I got back into weight training. And when I say recently, I mean that I still can’t move from my workout two days ago. Is it too soon to talk about getting back into something when it’s been less than a week? That’s debatable, I suppose. Really, the pain is not that bad, but it’s definitely a reminder of how long it’s been since I lifted weights consistently. My triceps are alive and kicking! Yeow.

After I tore the meniscus in my knee last year (a result of lifting a heavy box during a move), my workouts have been all over the map. I had months of relentless, nagging pain and then short periods without much pain. Totally unpredictable, incredibly frustrating. My love for running races was sidelined indefinitely, which was the hardest part to come to terms with. Meniscus injuries are notorious for slow healing and often, the knee is never quite the same after injury. There is a new definition of normal, I guess. Needless to say, I’ve walked on eggshells – fitness-wise – for the past year and a half, scared to push my knee too hard.

Thankfully though, my injury seems to have turned a corner since earlier this year (knock on wood), thanks in part to the knee strengthening exercises I’ve stuck with. I no longer have pain from daily walking and regular cardio workouts have been fine too. Squatting on the floor or sitting on my knees is still bothersome (as are twisting movements), but it could always be worse.

veganfruitcrisp

So, it’s time to get inspired about new fitness challenges again. Weight training is a good place to start; not only is it a muscle builder, but it’s a confidence builder too. I’ve never been overly excited about weight training, but it’s amazing how much of a positive impact it has on my body, mind, and spirit when I do it. My goal is to do a few strength training sessions per week. I’ll have to modify some of the exercises in workout DVDs (plyometrics, like jumping squats, need to be avoided), but I’ll be able to do pretty much everything else. My mantra is to focus on what I can do instead of what I can’t do. It’s similar to enjoying a vegan diet – focus on all the incredible foods you can eat rather than the ones that you want to avoid. Before long, you’ve created a “new normal” for yourself.

All of this brings me to the million dollar question – which workout DVD to use? If you have any recommendations, I’d love to hear them below!

image

In other celebratory news, can we give three cheers for peaches and other stone fruits this month? Can’t. get. enough.

Traditional crisp recipes are usually loaded with sugar and butter, but they don’t have to be. The natural sweetness of seasonal fruit should take centre stage. This recipe I’m sharing today does just that; in fact, it’s healthy enough for breakfast which is how we enjoyed it this past weekend. It would also be lovely with a scoop of ice cream or coconut whipped cream for dessert. It yields 3-4 small servings so if you want something to serve a small crowd I suggest doubling the recipe.

stonefruitcrispstonefruitcrispvegan-8176fruitcrisp

Summer Stone Fruit Crisp

Peaches, plums, and cherries make up this stone fruit filling. It’s versatile though, so play around with the fruit. Apricots and nectarines would be nice too. I added a light dusting of coconut sugar, cinnamon, arrowroot powder, and chia seeds (the latter two absorbing water) into the filling. The topping is made up of almond flour (or almond meal, if you’d rather), rolled oats + oat flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, and sea salt. It tastes like a cross between an oatmeal cookie and granola without being sickly sweet. Be sure to keep an eye on the topping after about 20 minutes of baking and cover with tin foil if necessary.

Email, text, or print this recipe

Makes 3-4 servings

Filling:

• 3 peaches, peeled, pitted, and diced
  • 2 plums, peeled, pitted, and diced
  • 1 cup cherries, pitted and halved
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
  • 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or other granulated sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt

Topping:

• 1/2 cup almond flour (or almond meal)
  • 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • pinch of salt, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease a small 1 litre (4 cup) casserole dish.

2. Combine the filling ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir until fully incorporated.

3. In another medium bowl, stir together the almond flour, oat flour, rolled oats, and cinnamon. Add in the maple syrup and coconut oil and mash with a fork (or beat with a hand mixer) until thoroughly combined into a dough. Add salt to taste.

4. Spoon fruit filling into casserole dish and level out. Crumble the topping over top of the fruit in an even layer. Bake, uncovered, at 375F for around 30 minutes, checking on the topping after 20 minutes. If the topping starts to brown too soon, you can remove it from the oven and cover with tin foil for the rest of the time. The crisp is ready when the fruit is fork tender and the topping is golden.

5. Cool for 5-10 minutes and serve on its own, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream.

Note: Use certified gluten-free oats to make this recipe gluten-free.

Page 3 of 3«123
Taylor August 8, 2013 at 8:50 am

I recommend trying out fitwomensweekly.com weekly body weight workouts would be really good for your knee!

I LOVE stone fruit. Plums, cherries you name it! Thanks.

Tiff August 8, 2013 at 9:01 am

Mmmm, this looks great! I hope the soreness eases up soon. Comfort food helps. ;)

Jackie August 8, 2013 at 9:14 am

I made this with four cups of strawberries, 1.5 cups rhubarb, and about 2.5 cups of a combination of blueberries, cherries, and blackberries. I doubled the topping and made it in a 9 x 13 glass dish. It was excellent! Not too sweet and very delicious. Thanks Angela!

Antonia August 8, 2013 at 9:19 am

Awesome to hear you are recovering! What knee strengthening exercises have you been doing?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2013 at 12:12 pm

mostly a bunch of random ones I found online…there are a ton for knee injuries!

Liz August 8, 2013 at 10:29 am

I LOVE fruit crisps…and this one looks especially amazing!

Liz @ LizzieFit August 8, 2013 at 11:55 am

Mmmmm my mouth literally just started watering. This looks so fresh and tasty :) Love your recipes! :)

Kathryn August 8, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I’m loving insanity right now. I used it to train for a 1/2 marathon because when I was running I hurt my knee…..I built up some good strength. The 1/2 was intense and my knee hurts still but I’m glad I did it.

I’d love to see a post or some pins maybe on your knee exercises!

Heather @ It's a Lovely Life! August 8, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Yum, I love the cherries in it. They seem to make all the other flavors just pop! Next time TJ’s has cherries I’ll buy them to make this.

Andrea August 8, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Made this dessert tonight and it was yet another home run! There is not a single morsel left in the dish. I can always count on your recipes to be delicious and nutritious! I love serving my boys (two little and one big!) dessert that tastes great and is not laden with sugar. Thank you!

Eve August 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hi Angela,

I just wanted to say I discovered your blog a few days ago and I am hooked! Thanks for the beautiful vegan recipes; I can’t wait to try them. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 9, 2013 at 8:01 am

Thank you Eve – I hope you enjoy the recipes!

Barb G. August 8, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Angela – Have you ever tried yoga? I used to lift weights, but now, I do vinyasa yoga which builds strength, and if done long enough, works every muscle in your body, not just the big ones. Plus, yoga brings the mind into every breath you take for a truly wonderful experience every time. I’ve been doing yoga (many different forms but always include vinyasa) and can hold my own in an advanced class – I’ll be 60 in November. Check out this web site. This woman was instrumental in advancing my practice both physically and mentally. She no longer owns Yoga Island :( but often teaches classes or workshops at my current studio. I think her story will inspire you, and she may be able to offer some suggestions since you are searching for a video – possibly an on line experience? We both live in the suburbs north of the Dallas, TX area: http://www.livingyogadallas.com/instructors/sloane-park . Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 9, 2013 at 8:00 am

Hey Barb, Yes I love yoga! I do hot yoga quite frequently…it’s the best.

Barb G. August 8, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Sorry, meant to say that I’d been doing yoga for 11 years! Don’t try to take an advanced class when you are starting out!!

Kimmie August 9, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hi Angela, I love strength and fitness with Zuzka. She has a great library of workouts on Youtube. They are quick workouts that challenge you and have you feeling amazing in no time! She usually posts one workout per week and now has better than 80 workouts. Look for Zuzka Light. Zuzka’s workouts (about 12-16 minutes long) and trying to become a runner have me in better shape than ever and I lost 24 lbs and am happy to be back in size 4’s. Good Luck!

Erin August 9, 2013 at 10:15 am

Looks delicious! Try barre3 online. I LOVE it!

Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile August 9, 2013 at 10:16 am

Mhmm I love stone fruits! And I love that you combined them into this lovely crisp with some of my favorite ingredients like chia seeds. This looks perfect for a hot summer night.

Ewelina August 9, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Angela! PLEASE make an updated “my essential vegan shopping list” or a “what’s in my grocery bag” post! I know it sounds silly but people LOVE looking at those…and I would love to have some new ideas of what I should get at the grocery store..especially since I usually just purchase pre-packaged foods..which I’d LOVE to stay away from.

I hope to see it soon maybe??
Have a great day!
xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Thanks for your suggestion! Have you seen the vegan pantry post I did before? I assume you did – but yes an updated version would be a great idea. :)

Vanessa August 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm

This looks amazing!

Karen August 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I remember a few years back I strained my back moving heavy boxes during a house move ans as a result I couldn’t move properly for weeks. So suffice it to say I know how you felt when the nagging pains randomly occur. Complete frustration!

The summer stone fruit crisp looks fabulous if your photographs are anything to go by and I’ll certainly follow your recipe instructions and try it for myself.

Katia August 11, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Just made this with plums and peaches! Excellent – so fresh and tasty.

Tobius August 12, 2013 at 7:47 am

Wow, I can eat this!! There are so many foods I can not eat it is almost impossible to find a recipe I can actually eat!
I am going to whip this up tonight for dessert, or heck maybe supper :-)

Dave August 13, 2013 at 2:47 am

I also decided to get back to the gym after a long time. But like an idiot i didn’t ease into it. I literally have arms that are so swolen from the lactic acid that its difficult to even try feed myself. Hope the swelling goes down soon….lesson learnt!

Jackie August 13, 2013 at 10:41 am

Angela – do you store this in the fridge or on the counter? I’m guessing the fridge, if it lasts that long…?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Yup in the fridge :) enjoy!

Jess August 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm

You should totally try blogilates! She has a TON of free videos on youtube, and a DVD if you prefer. The DVD is pretty hardcore though, so maybe start with her videos. It’s amazing what a great workout you can get without any equipment!

sandy August 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I have made this twice since you posted. The 2nd time we used up nectarines,pluots, and blueberries…yum! I’m so proud that I ran out of chia since following your blog. Thank you thank you! Every recipe is delicious!

Dalia August 18, 2013 at 5:13 pm

The coconut oil in the oat topping is divine. Thanks for yet another winner!

Health August 19, 2013 at 9:29 am

Hi,
Very nice post.
Fruit crisps are my absolute favorite.

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde September 2, 2013 at 9:24 pm

My favorite workout DVDs lately have been the Physique 57 ones. I think they’re really challenging and they always get me shaking, and make me wake up sore the next day, but I enjoy doing them and I really notice a difference in my strength and I look more toned when I’ve been doing them regularly. Good luck!

Christie September 11, 2013 at 8:15 pm

My favourite weight training workout videos are actually online at fitnessblender.com. They are all free and totally amazing! So much variety and different levels of intensity!

Robin September 19, 2013 at 12:21 am

Sooo I may or may not have just finished licking my plate. Holy YUM. I used 2 nectarines, a cup of thawed blueberries, 2 small Italian plums, 3/4c blackberries, and 1/4c applesauce (instead of sugar) in the filling. We’re out of chia so I only used the 1 tbsp arrowroot. The topping was perfection! It was soft, yet crunchy and golden, and had a satisfying texture when eating it. I used WW pastry flour instead of almond (but kept the oat flour). The coconut oil gave such a great subtle coconut taste and I also added some nutmeg. Took exactly 30 minutes in an 8×8 pan. My parents were in awe of how quick and delicious it was!

Lyn, aka the "food lover" Ashby September 21, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I’m one of those people that absolutely loves fruit. I’ll eat just about anything that has a lot of fruit in it so when I saw this recipe I definitely had to stop and take a closer look at it. This is definitely a yummy twist on normal apple crisp since it has so many different fruits all under that great crust. I can’t wait to make it for my own family.

suzanne October 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Angela – I am going to make a blueberry apple crisp using this recipe – how many cups of fruit would you say is in this dish? I want to get the ratio of other ingredients correct. THANK YOU!!!

Cathy May 26, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Angela!! I made this crisp twice this weekend, once with strawberries/raspberries/white peach and the second with strawberries/raspberries/white peach/cherries and both came out incredible. I do think I like it a bit better the second day when things have solidified a bit more, but it was divine. My omnivorous family adored it and didn’t even notice that I served it with a side of vegan ice cream, Coconut Bliss Just Vanilla. So amazing. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Michelle June 1, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Loved this recipe!!! I didn’t have plums so I doubled the cherries and it was fantastic. (I may have eaten all the leftovers while my family went out for a few hours….shhh).

Alice August 18, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Made this for a dinner party and was very disappointed with the results. The crisp part was very dry and unappealing – not at all like eating an oatmeal cookie, more like eating toasted flour and oats, To save the dish, I cut up about a tbs butter on the top, added a thin layer of turbinado sugar and did a quick broil. I didn’t get as healthy a dessert but it was much more edible.

Julia July 1, 2015 at 8:49 am

This is a wonderful crisp. Favorite.

I was wondering if you’ve tried to make a bigger batch? Is this doubled easily?

Thanks for such a great recipe!!

Julia

julia July 1, 2015 at 8:52 am

This is the best summer crisp recipe I’ve tried. I’ve made it twice already and wondering if you this can be easily doubled? Wanting to make it for a bigger crowd this 4th of July!

Julia

Katie June 30, 2016 at 10:11 am

We made this recently and it was incredible! Do you think I could substitute strawberries and blueberries for the stone fruits? Really, I’m looking for a colorful dessert to bring to a July 4th cookout.

Angela Liddon June 30, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Hi Katie, I don’t see why not! Happy Fourth of July!! :)

Tiffany October 2, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Hi Angela!

This is one of my family’s favorite recipes! I change up the ingredients quite often. Tonight, I used all apples. In the past I’ve done all peaches or nectarines and it’s a hit every time! Thank you!!

Angela Liddon October 3, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for the lovely comment, Tiffany! I’m so glad to hear this recipe’s become such a staple for you and your family – that never fails to bring a smile to my face :)

Rachel September 13, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Angela, this recipe is genius. I made it for company since it was the perfect size and lower sugar than most. However, I didn’t end up serving it that night. So,I HAD to eat it myself the next day…LOL…It was amazing!! I used 1 peach, 2 nectarines, 3 plumbs and a carton of raspberries. It’s great for breakfast with tea. Thank you for your healthy, vegan recipes. I look forward to your book which is coming soon.

Angela Liddon September 14, 2017 at 11:30 am

What a great combination of fruit! Having to eat it all yourself must have been quite the hardship…lol! ;) Thanks for the love, Rachel. Hope you enjoy the new cookbook!!