11 Things I’m Loving Lately – The Candy, Portland, & Kitchen Tool Edition!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 29, 2013

It’s time again for another round up of things I’m loving lately. There’s so much vegan love to go around, so little time!

Hip, hip, hooray for…

1. Bare English & Co. Coco-Mint Lip Balm

Oh my, this lip balm is incredible. Not only does it keep my lips super moisturized (think body butter for your lips), but it’s tea-infused, organic, and vegan, made right here in Toronto! I spotted it at Organic Garage and you can find their list of store locations on their website.

Lip Balm runner up: HURRAW! Lip Balm (also fantastic)

thingsimlovinglately-5013

2. Wide Mouth Funnel

This wide mouth funnel is from Lee Valley and it’s perfect for filling up my mason jars. It also comes with an attachment to make a smaller funnel width. Finally, an easier way to fill up those jars! Thanks to Eric for the thoughtful Lee Valley gifts. :)

thingsimlovinglately-5006

3. Narrow Measuring Spoons

I’ve needed measuring spoons that are narrow enough to fit in spice jars for a while now. These beauties from Lee Valley do the job perfectly.

thingsimlovinglately-4999

4. Beanfield’s Bean & Rice Chips

This was in the VVC swag bag and it was love at first crunch. I promptly inhaled the bag like a chip monster. They are vegan, corn-free (which is almost impossible to find when it comes to chips!), gluten-free, and have a decent amount of fibre and protein. Now I just have to try and locate them around here…

20130525_175638

5. JJ’s Sweets Cocomels

JJ’s Sweets, hailing from Boulder, makes these tasty vegan “cocomels” with a base of coconut milk and other goodies. Not something I would eat frequently, but they are fun for a treat. I purchased these from Food Fight in Portland (see below).

IMG_20130527_184343

6. Kure Juice Bar (Portland)

I squeezed in 3 visits here during my very short stay in Portland. I’m kind of obsessed with the place and the super friendly staff. Kure Juice Bar features fresh juice, smoothies, power shots, and acai bowls! What more could a guy or gal need?

20130524_085947

7. Portobello restaurant (Portland)

My trip buddies Hannah, Lisa, Nicole, and I dined at vegan restaurant Portobello on Friday night. I had the cauliflower “steak” entrée served with a chickpea croquette, fennel, and tangy Chimichurri sauce. Absolute perfection!

IMG_20130524_183358

8. Prasad (Portland)

I dined at Prasad once during my stay, but I would’ve loved to go back to sample more of the menu. Everything sounded right up my alley. Prasad features breakfast, soups, greens, bowls, smoothies, and wraps. You can just feel the love oozing out of this place as soon as you walk in. I had one of their delicious grains, greens, & beans bowls and it was the perfect comfort food on a rainy day.

20130524_111138

9. White Owl Social Club (Portland)

A group of us went to the White Owl on Friday night to kick back and relax. White Owl has many vegan options on the menu (see Build Your Own S’mores below!) and they try to source as many products from local distilleries, wineries, and breweries as possible. A bit too chilly for the large outdoor patio, we cozied up in a roomy indoor booth for most of the night. Lovely atmosphere!

portlandwhiteowl-3717portlandwhiteowl-3716

10. Food Fight Grocery Store (Portland)

This is an all-vegan grocery store in Portland. We laughed, we cried, and we drooled. I also stopped into Herbivore Clothing and bought myself a cute tee!

20130524_174425 20130524_174420

11. Allison’s Gourmet Vegan Toffee

This was my favourite treat in the VVC swag bag – and perhaps, one of the best vegan candies I’ve ever tasted. I know, I know I say that all the time, but this stuff is the real deal. It was my first time trying any of Allison’s Gourmet products and I have to say I was blown away by the quality and flavour. I can’t wait to try more. Thanks Allison!

vegantoffee-

Man, I really wish I had some of that toffee left. Unreal!

Page 3 of 3«123
Amanda Attard June 4, 2013 at 5:56 am

I love your blog…I always look forward to your posts and trying out your recipes. So, I’ve nominated you for a shine on award http://amandaattard.com/?p=306&preview=true

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2013 at 9:57 am

Thank you Amanda!

Matt G. June 4, 2013 at 7:28 am

Speaking of bean chips, do you have Beanitos up north? We love them. Ha – there’s a warning on the bag – “do not eat the whole bag if this is your first time eating these chips”. Oops…we sat at a car wash and downed pretty much the whole thing. No ill effects, thankfully.

Kerjan June 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

Wow! Portland sounds like such an amazing and health-coscious city!

And that coco-mint lip balm looks so soft. I’m always on the search for new organic chapsticks and other beauty products! Thanks for the tips!

Tammy June 4, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I’ve got those exact measuring spoons…. highly recommend!!

Wendy Irene June 4, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I LOVE Portobello restaurant in Portland! I can’t wait to go back. Thank you so much for sharing all the great suggestions. I’m excited just reading and can’t wait to try some of them :)

Jill June 4, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I like the Beanfields chips too! I recently found bags of unseasoned/unprocessed bean & soy chips in a health food store (kind of looked like plain pop chips), so I have been making my own little trail mix with those and just adding my own spices and mix-ins. This week I went the sweet route and added in peanuts, coconut, choc chips, and raisins. good snack to bring to work!

Caitlin June 4, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I thought the make your own s’mores was such a great concept. Wish I’d tried it!

Sonal June 5, 2013 at 8:48 am

Wow Portland looks so cool! So many vegan options! :) That funnel for the mason jars is genius, I have to find one of those !

Faith June 7, 2013 at 11:51 am

YAY for Prasad! My friends own that place and they are a great set of young, female entrepreneurs.

Maddie June 7, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Is there something going on with the picture of #8? It looks like a headless woman is behind the blender. It’s really freaking me out. Lol.

Marilyn @ Lipgloss+Spandex June 8, 2013 at 12:15 am

I’m from the Portland area and I’m embarrassed to say that I haven’t been to any of those places! Now I’ll have some options next time I need to think of a place to eat.

jennifer June 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

where did you stay in Portland? We are headed there in July and need a recommendation.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2013 at 8:12 am

Hi Jennifer, We stayed in Hotel 50 – it was decent, but I think I would explore other options next time.

jennifer June 10, 2013 at 8:28 am

Thanks! I’ll keep searching! REALLY appreciate your reply!

Brooke June 12, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Next time you’re in PDX you’ve gotta go get brunch/lunch (before 5pm) at Paradox Cafe on Belmont. Order the BBQ Tempeh Cashew Salad and enjoy being in heaven.

Merle June 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I am obsessed with the Kure … sooooo good. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my wallet) I work in the same building. At least twice a week that is where I land for lunch. My favorite is the “Bowl of the Gods” yummy

David June 18, 2013 at 5:41 am

Didn’t those marshmallows contain gelatin? I haven’t ever come across any that didn’t…

Nice round up!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

Hi David,

There aren’t any marshmallows in this post. ;) Caramels, yes! Try Dandies brand for vegan marshmallows – there are a couple others too like Sweet and Sara brand. Enjoy!

David June 18, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Oh, I thought the things being toasted at the White Owl Social Club were marshmallows?

Thanks for the recommendations :)

Kerstin June 26, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thank you for this post! I’m a vegan living in Portland but it always seems that I overlook these kinds of places!!!

Natasha July 11, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Angela — I have a very serious question about #8. Where is her head!! I literally could not stop staring at the picture made for a good laugh on a rather boring day.

PS also obsessed with Lee Valley I have had their measuring cups and spoons for YEARS and you will not love them any less I promise.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2013 at 9:48 am

LOL omg I cannot believe I didn’t see that!!! dying!

anna September 7, 2013 at 10:59 pm

hey!
ambrosia in thornhill has all the beanfields flavours…yay!

Nathalie May 14, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Hi!
I’m already a long time reader (reading since my teens, now in my twenties) but never really comment. I’ve transitioned from being vegetarian to vegan for about 7 months now and have never felt better. However, I can’t seem to find any nice places to eat out. I’m going on a weekend getaway and was wondering if you had any tips on how to navigate nutritious vegan food during my stay. I already checked and there are no vegan restaurants in the city where I’m staying. What would you do?