8 Things I’m Loving Lately – Spring Edition!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 10, 2013

vegan-3345

It’s hard to believe that it’s been 4 months since my last things I’m loving lately post. Apparently, I wasn’t too excited over anything in the winter! Not surprising. Here are a handful of things I’m loving lately…feel free to share yours below too.

1. Goji Berries in smoothies

I don’t buy goji berries often due to their steep price, but they are fun for a treat now and then. And boy do they pack a nutritional bang for their buck! This particular mix above is made up of a 1 whole seedless orange (peeled of course), 1 tbsp soaked goji berries, 1/3 cup soaking water, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 3/4 cup strawberries, coconut oil and ice. A vitamin C powerhouse.

2. Fresh mint in smoothies

So far I’ve been able to keep 2 mint plants alive for the past few weeks (knock on wood). I love adding a handful of mint leaves into my morning smoothies for a fresh pick me up. Just one more way to sneak some green into your day.

vegan-3357

3. Buckwheat Crispbread crackers

These are just about the simplest crackers on earth. The ingredients list? Organic buckwheat. That’s it. I admit, I’m not a huge fan of the flavour of these plain, but they sure are great dipping vehicles for hummus and guacamole.

4. Homemade Beet Juice Lip Gloss

When I posted this on Instagram the other day, a lot of you were curious about it so I figured it was worth mentioning. I’m wearing the homemade gloss in the pic below – the beet juice gives a light berry stain and the vitamin E oil works as well as a clear gloss. You could also use coconut oil, but it won’t give you that lasting sticky shine. All you do is cut a small piece (maybe 1cm x 3cm) of red beet and then rub the cut side (juicy part) of the beet all over your lips until it looks evenly distributed. Top with a thin layer of vitamin E oil all over your lips and smack ‘em around to spread. The key is to make sure your lips are not dry or cracked before putting on the beet stain or the juice will settle in dry patches. Can it be blended into a pre-made mix? I haven’t tried it yet, but I’d like to. I assume you’d have to extract the juice and then mix it with the vitamin E oil in a small jar. Does it last long? I’ve never found any lip glosses to last very long, so I’d say it’s about the same.

vegan-3359 angela-160543

5. Sprouting seeds

I finally took the plunge and bought my first bag of sprouting seeds! Well, make that a year ago. They got shoved to the back of my cupboard and forgotten. I absolutely love sprouts on wraps and salads so it’s time I started making my own. I’ll try to report back once I’ve gotten the hang of it. I checked on them this morning (see below) and I’m seeing the first signs of germination.

6. Homemade Maple Butter

In workout news, I recently made a second batch of Maple Butter! There really are no words to describe how good this stuff is…you really just have to taste it for yourself.

vegan-3361 maple cream maple butter-1497sprouting-3375

7. Zen Budda Buttery-style Spread (Raw, Vegan, Gluten-free)

A golden, buttery spread made from coconut oil? Yes, you heard that right! Coconut oil, olive oil, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic and onion powder, and sea salt are the only ingredients in this vegan, raw, and gluten-free spread. It’s nothing like Earth Balance, but it’s more of a cheesy spread that works great on toast, garlic bread, or crackers. I think I’m going to have to try and re-create this for the blog sometime…

vegan-3365 vegan-3367

8. Gain Abs App

In other workout news, I love (to hate) this app – not only is it simple to use, but it’s the only thing that can force me to do 4 planks in a row! Well, make that 3 planks in a row because I usually skip the last one. You can specify the plank duration, rest duration, and how many sets (does anyone actually do more than 1 set?). I like to spontaneously drop on the office floor for a mid-day plank assault! Arrrrrr. It’s probably the worst 3 minutes of my day, but it just works so good and cursing like a sailor really helps with the pain.

vegan-3372

What foods, products, or apps are you loving lately? Share below.

Page 3 of 3«123
Vegan Radhika Sarohia April 12, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Never tried goji berry, will try those out and the beet lip gloss sounds FANTASTIC
Can’t wait to try it, I’d try it right now this instant but I have eaten all my beets that I bought
I’ll buy beets this weekend and give it a go, can’t wait:D

Vegan Radhika Sarohia April 12, 2013 at 10:52 pm

And I also need to think of some new smoothie combinations that would allow for the addition of fresh mint leaves…right now I make blueberry smoothies [and sometimes peach, or pineapple-coconut] and mint wouldn’t go with any of those…I will think of something :)

Tanya @ playful and hungry April 13, 2013 at 8:18 am

Do you know wild garlic? It’s in season right now and I love it!

char eats greens April 13, 2013 at 10:44 am

I was JUST thinking about how I’d like to get some goji berries (price is what keeps me from them often, too!). I also would like to try my own sprouting seeds. Can’t wait to hear how it goes for you and then hopefully you have some tips, and then I can try this spring/summer!

Kate April 13, 2013 at 11:30 am

I have a friend who doesn’t allow his daughters to wear standard makeup and his youngest daughter (5 years old) revolts by asking ANY person she sees or meets that is wearing lipstick, to put some on her. Yeah, its definitely really dangerous as she could easily get sick or pick up a weird virus from a stranger. Anyways, this led me to try out an alternative because he had no interest in trying to make his daughters homemade lipstick. So I used a juicer for the beets and mixed it with coconut oil and it works like a charm. You can obviously add more or less of the beet juice based on how dark you want it to be. It’s probably best stored in the fridge. I hope that helps :)

Denisse CIS237 April 13, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Just love this post! I’m so doing the Homemade Beet Lip Gloss. It looks great!

Kim S April 13, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I’m sending a big plea for you to figure out how to make Zen Budda!! We have gluten, dairy and nut allergies in my house, so this would really solve some problems for me! Thanks for all your delicious posts!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Hi Kim, I definitely want to try and will share it for sure if I get it close. I don’t think it will be too hard… :)

RawFoodz April 18, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for lovn the Zen Budda! We work really hard to create great products for you all!
Coming soon to the U.S!

Liliana April 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Workout applications are really great! I was several at home, on my iPad.

carol April 14, 2013 at 4:36 pm

The goji berry smoothie looks so beautiful. I am definitely going to make it!

Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating April 16, 2013 at 6:29 am

I don’t love smoothies in the winter and so it had been about half a year since I’d had them at all regularly – but lately I’ve been on a total smoothie kick! I’ve had one almost every day, they’re so good now that the weather is warming up!

kathy April 16, 2013 at 8:17 am

I bought the lePain des fleurs quinoa crackers. I absolutely LOVE them. Like you said, they don’t have much taste alone, but with nut butters or another type of topping, they are delicious. I’m on my second box. Will have to try the buckwheat. Love the beet lipgloss tip. Will have to give it a try. Thanks.

Jenn April 19, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Love your site…I’ve been lurking for years :)
An easier way to get the same great color lip stain you get from fresh beets is to use beet root powder (available at most health food stores). Depending on the intensity of the color, it makes a gest cheek/lip stain. Here’s a link to diy recipes, but there are lots on the web. In a pinch I’ve even mixed a bit with some Vaseline (which I don’t buy anymore after switching to natural products but seem to have a ton lying around still). http://www.yumuniverse.com/2010/10/14/easy-diy-beet-powder-cream-blush/
Thanks for your great recipes and tips, I always feel motivated to make healthier choices after reading your blog.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 21, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Oh wow I didnt even know you could buy beet powder! Thanks for the link :)

marlies April 21, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I just made that smoothie and wow! It was delicious! Even though I have had goji berries before, I never really noticed their flavor until I had this smoothie, where they definitely had a punch. Thanks for the tip with this great smoothie!

Victoria April 22, 2013 at 10:38 am

That could be mold if your seeds have been stored in a damp place. Or if you don’t rinse them frequently. :)

Leona April 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

The app is looking great! I definitely going to try it :)

Liliana April 26, 2013 at 2:36 pm

So interesting the beet homemade lip gloss! I drink beet juice, but never thought of using it as a lip gloss :). Great idea!

Lindsey MM April 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm

That citrus/strawberry/goji berry smoothie is amazing!! I just made it after yoga to tide me over while I’m waiting for dinner to cook :) thanks for the recipe!!

Heidi Kress May 2, 2013 at 12:16 pm

can a girl get the recipe/quantities for the beet, apple, cucumber, lemon and carrot, smoothie? Looks AWESOME!! At our gym they were doing testers one day of one with beet and cranberries and lemon, and I don’t remember what else it was fantastic…

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2013 at 8:03 am

Hi Heidi, For sure! I posted it above in the comments section :)

Maree Kniest May 16, 2013 at 3:34 pm

fresh mint + pineapple+ cucumber+ ginger+ coconut water=yum