Coconut Whipped Cream: A Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 30, 2012

coconut whipped cream-4406

Did you know you can make a decadent whipped cream by using a can of coconut milk? Not only is it simple to make, but it’s easily the best-tasting whipped cream I’ve tried.

I know whipped coconut cream isn’t new to many of you – people have been making coconut whipped cream for years and years. I first read about it a couple years ago on Vegan Joy’s website and have seen it popping up everywhere.

coconut whipped cream-4108

In today’s post, I’ll show you just how easy it is to make. I can promise you, your life will change when you taste this stuff!

1. Grab a can of full-fat can coconut milk (without guar gum listed as an ingredient) – Update: Native Forest now puts guar gum in the ingredients and this causes the cream and water to emulsify which is not what we want. The can must also be full-fat because you will be whipping the solid cream. Do not use light coconut milk because it won’t turn out. In summary – look for a full-fat can of coconut milk that does not have guar gum listed on the ingredient list. Cool?

Many of you have had trouble making whipped coconut cream with certain brands because some cans don’t always separate. A reader let me know that Thai Kitchen has changed their formula so that it doesn’t separate anymore. Apparently they are coming out with small cans of pure coconut cream instead. Be on the look out! I used Native Forest with decent result, although I have had some duds before.

coconut whipped cream-4086

2. Place can in the fridge overnight. This is another crucial step. You need to chill the coconut cream until it’s very firm. I once tried to make whipped coconut cream without chilling the can – big mistake! It was a watery mess. I like to keep at least a couple cans in the back of my fridge just in case I need a quick whipped cream for a recipe. Then you always have it on hand and don’t have to wait overnight to use it. A few extra cans of chilled coconut milk never hurt anyone.

Just before you make your whipped cream, place a mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes or so. This helps keep everything cold and will be especially helpful for those of you in very warm climates.You can also put the beaters in the freezer too, but it’s not necessary.

3. Remove the chilled can from fridge and FLIP it upside down.

coconut whipped cream-4563

Why flip it upside down?

The liquid coconut milk (the part that doesn’t harden) will now be at the top of the can! Note: Not all cans work for this – check yours.

4. Open the can. See the liquid at the top? You won’t be whipping this part.

coconut whipped cream-4564

5. Pour the coconut liquid into another bowl. You should have just under 1 cup of liquid, but this yield will vary a bit by brand and even by can.

coconut whipped cream-4566

Don’t throw it away – I like to use it in smoothies along with mango, kale, banana, and chia for a fun tropical smoothie. You can also use it in baking and cooking.

As you can see below, you are left with only the hardened coconut cream! Come to mama!! This is exactly what we want to use to make our coconut whipped cream.

coconut whipped cream-4568

6. Scoop the coconut cream into your chilled bowl. (I don’t recommend using a shallow bowl like this one – I only used it for photo purposes so you could see it better!)

coconut whipped cream-4570

As you can see, you get a lot of hardened cream to work with!

coconut whipped cream-4392

7. Whip the cream. Grab a hand mixer (alternatively, you can do this in a stand mixer – just chill the bowl first) and whip the cream until fluffy. It’s really too much fun.

4.6 from 11 reviews

Coconut Whipped Cream

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

You can easily create a decadent, fluffy whipped cream by using a can of full-fat coconut milk. Not only is the technique simple, but it’s easily the best-tasting whipped cream I’ve tried. You can use this whipped cream just like regular dairy whipped cream. I like to use it in a bowl of fruit, on top of a fruit crisp, or stirred into Banana Soft Serve. The options are really endless! One important tip: you’ll want to chill the can of coconut milk for at least 24 hours before you begin to ensure the white coconut cream solidifies (be sure to read all my tips below on how to buy the right coconut milk for this recipe).

Yield
1 cup (250 mL)
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 (14-ounce/400mL) can full-fat coconut milk, chilled for 24 hours*
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons sweetener (maple syrup, powdered sugar, cane sugar, etc), to taste
  • 1 vanilla bean, scraped or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)

Directions:

1. Chill the can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 24 hours. I like to keep a few cans in the fridge at all times so I don’t have to wait.
  2. About 1 hour before making the coconut whip, chill a mixing bowl in the freezer.
  3. After chilling the can, open the can and scoop the solid white coconut cream into the bowl. Discard the coconut water or save it for another use (such as coconut water ice cubes).
  4. Using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the cream until fluffy and smooth. Add in sweetener to taste and vanilla.
  5. Return whipped cream to fridge until ready to use. It will firm when chilled and soften at room temperature. This will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 1 week or you can freeze it in an airtight freezer-safe bag for up to 1 month. After chilling in the fridge, allow it to sit at room temperature until it softens slightly and then you can re-whip it as needed.

Nutrition Information

Serving Size 2 tablespoons (30 mL) | Calories 100 calories | Total Fat 11 grams
Saturated Fat 9 grams | Sodium 5 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 3 grams
Fiber 0 grams | Sugar 2 grams | Protein 1 grams
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.

Tips:

• * Some brands of canned coconut milk will be better than others for making whipped cream, and even some cans within the same brand can vary quite a bit. For whatever reason, the cream and water in some brands or cans do not separate. A few of the most consistent brands for making coconut whipped cream are: Thai Kitchen full-fat coconut milk, Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream (just the cream—no water in the can!), and Native Forest. I always keep at least a few cans of full-fat coconut milk in my fridge at all times just in case I get a “dud”—then I know I have more on hand. If you happen to get a dud don’t be discouraged. Try out one of the brands above, and be sure to chill it for at least 24 hours. Odds are you will find your perfect brand after some trial and error!!

coconut whipped cream

There may be a strong urge to shove your face in the bowl.

8. Add in a touch of sweetener and vanilla extract and whip it again.

You can use regular cane sugar, confectioner’s sugar, or even a touch of maple syrup. I find 2-3 teaspoons usually does the trick for my taste buds. I also like to add about 1/4-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or a vanilla bean. The vanilla really takes it over the edge – I don’t suggest skipping it!

The first time I made this I could not get over how amaaaaazing it tastes. Eric even said he wouldn’t be able to tell that it wasn’t made from dairy. Two big thumbs up from us!

How to use:

You can use this whipped cream just like regular dairy whipped cream. I like to use it in desserts & frostings, it’s amazing over a simple bowl of fruit or pancakes, and sometimes I add a dollop on my vegan overnight oats for an extra creamy bowl. You can even spoon a bit on top of a pie or fruit crisp or stir some into a bowl of banana soft serve. The options are really endless! Have fun making different kinds of flavours and fooling your friends and family.

If making a whipped frosting, I suggest storing the decorated cake/cupcakes in the fridge until ready to serve.

Storing:

Have leftovers? You can easily store it in the fridge for at least 1.5 weeks (probably longer) in a sealed container. It will firm up a bit more in the fridge. Simply scoop it into a bowl and re-whip it when you need it.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do! For those of you who’ve been making it for a while now, what’s your favourite way to prepare/enjoy it?

Page 1 of 912345»...Last »
Yellow Haired Girl August 30, 2012 at 9:20 am

So simple! What a great tutorial … maybe I’ll just put whipped cream on everything now? ;)

Angela August 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

It’s also lovely on a spoon. ;)

phyllis December 7, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I discovered your tutorial while looking for a brand name whipped cream stabilizer (not gelatin). If I understand your method it actually replaces whipped cream and it doesn’t taste like coconut. If I want that I guess I must substitute coconut extract for vanilla and I may forget about stabilizers.

I will try this recipe.

Kate Lamb January 8, 2013 at 10:45 am

I was so excited to try this because I LOVE real whipped cream but it is so bad for your health. I tried this (I omitted vanilla because I didn’t have any) and I did not like the taste. It tasted very much like coconut but not in a good way. I love coconut but this tasted funny. I used the organic brand “Native Forest” but it was not good. Is it possible the omission of vanilla made the difference? The taste was so strong, but not good. I wish it had tasted like pure coconut because I LOVE that. But this was different. The date on the can was not expired.

Laura January 18, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I’ve personally had luck with native forest. It tastes pretty heavenly to me, light and coconutty. Once I tried a brand called polar, I thought it would be good for whipping because the fat content was a little higher and it had more cream than water in the can. It had a bad sort of woody, and bitter taste – I’d say it could have tasted like the husk of the coconut. And it didn’t help to add anything. Maybe it was a bad batch that you got…

Salem March 7, 2013 at 1:51 am

I know that politically correct nutrition tells us that real (dairy) whipped cream is bad for us, but, in fact, the opposite is true. Especially if you are using raw cream as I do. I’ve struggled for so many years from many health issues and it wasn’t until I started eating traditionally (diets based on the studies of Dr. Weston A. Price that thoroughly studied very healthy primitive societies before their culture was invaded by modern food) that my health actually started getting better. I even tried vegan for a bit and had a nervous breakdown. I don’t wanna tell anyone else how to eat or make anyone feel bad for being vegan (cause, when done right, is definitely better than the SAD), but it is frustrating that we’re continually told that foods our bodies crave (like cream and butter) are bad for us. It’s all based on the lipid hypothesis which was developed from a very flawed study that was never corrected because it helped the big producers of cheap, denatured vegetable oils sell margarine, shortening and vegetable oil. Epidemiology isn’t concrete, but it shows a very strong link between our decrease in intake of saturated fats (being replaced by either carbs &/or vegetable oils & trans fats) over the last several decades and an increase in several degenerative diseases including diabetes, heart disease and cancer. I know I might get a few negative comments for speaking out about this, but what I have learned has changed my life so much that I want to share it with others. If you are curious, start by reading “Nutrition and Physical Degeneration” by Dr. Weston A. Price. It’s just a book, so it can’t hurt you.

Kat March 12, 2013 at 9:54 am

Yes, I enjoy the real thing better also. But I’ve never tried whipping it this way before. I bet a little almond extract would help cover any off flavors. I would venture to say that you could go half and half – real whipped cream with the coconut cream, and have a creamy whipped dream! Thanks for the recipe and tutorial.

Toby March 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Thanks you, Salem, for speaking the truth! All the disinformation that runs rampant in today’s culture needs to be dispelled, our health is a stake! Butter is GOOD for you, vegetable oils are BAD for you, meat is GOOD for you, a vegan diet is BAD for you, the Prefect Health Diet is another great source of legitimate, well researched, information.

Zabela March 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

This is a very simplistic statement based, not on truth but on opinion. Many people seek dairy-free alternatives due to lactose intolerance or because a meat and dairy diet creates intolerable lifetime suffering for animals. There is no dispute on that. On the other issues, there is plenty of scientific research available for people to make their own choices. This forum is about making delicious food and not banging the drum for carnivores.

Daniela April 3, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Zabela, very well said. Vegan diet is the most suitable and healthiest diet for the majority of the human kind. Even though, I never met one, there might be some exceptions (like 0.0002%). How many people are dying of heart problems, cancers, etc that are caused by the consumption of animal flesh and their secreation? How many people are dying from consumption of vegetable and their oils? Although this is a very simplistic way to put it, however the honest scientific research without any hidden agendas (of makind money of it) clearly states that the plant based diet is not only the most effective preventive medicine but as importantly the only sustainable and moraly correct choice for human species. For those who promoting false claims or opinions, educate yourselves and you can start with visiting the website of the PCRM. This group of doctors deserves the highest respect of all.

Jenn May 24, 2015 at 7:34 am

I’m here cuz my husband is lactose intolerant, I have recently been wheat/gluten free, per my dr, cuz our “food” keeps getting messed with and my body wasn’t happy with it, but we are meat eaters :) I never understood either side putting others down for their food choice. If you are vegan, great! If you are a meat eater, great! Both sides need to stop pushing their food choice way of life onto society. I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to worry about then what we all choose to eat/not eat.

appley June 9, 2015 at 7:26 am

Zabela and Daniela; First time I have ever read replies (to a stupid comment) on a forum and felt that they were so well written I didnt need to chime in. Well done!

judy April 7, 2013 at 10:18 am

How can eating fruit, vegetables and nuts be BAD for anybody? Tell that to elephants, cows and giraffes also hindus. If you can’t give up meat that’s fair enough but don’t state as fact that eating fruit, veg, and nuts are bad. I have not eaten meat for 9 months nearly and I gave it up because of the cruelty to the animals. However I can say I don’t miss it and whilst my health in some respects has remained the same (eating too much sugar). I have noticed I am not bloated, and I’m not suffering with wind plus there are lots of meat free alternatives that are really good and lastly I am really enjoying my vegetables and legunes because I flavour them really well. I Love not eating meat.

Elemjay April 11, 2014 at 5:28 am

Tell that to elephants, cows and giraffes?
Seriously?
You are a homo-sapien!….
Cats don’t thrive on dog food. Dogs can get seriously ill on”human” food. Chocolate being totally toxic to them.
Cows have four, count ’em, FOUR stomachs to deal with their herbivore diet. We cannot eat what other mammals thrive on. .. Because we’re all built differently. A diesel engine just ups and quits if given four stroke.
I’m not saying we should be carnivores (only eating meat) or herbivores (only eating vegetable matter) or pescatarian.. We are omnivores. That’s what we evolved into. That’s why we have teeth dedicated to both tearing AND grinding.
At least until we teach the next stage of our evolution anyway.

A.Moore May 11, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Really Toby… meat is not healthy for you. I don’t know who your doctor is, but I am a nutritionist and there are too many statics facts and proof out there to say otherwise. It is easy to get defensive when you want to only believe facts that are more suitable for your lifestyle. But why I am really commenting is because this whipped coconut cream was delicious and can’t wait to recommend this to my clients!

Amanda June 2, 2015 at 2:12 pm

to Elemjay: “It is interesting to note that most of our teeth are flat for grinding grains and vegetables-and that our hands are better designed for gathering than for tearing flesh apart. Our saliva contains alpha-amylase whose sole purpose is the digestion of carbohydrates. Alpha-amylase is not found in the saliva of carnivorous animals. Carnivores have the capacity to eliminate large amounts of cholesterol, whereas our livers can excrete only limited amounts. Like herbivores, we sweat to cool our bodies rather than pant like carnivores.
“Of all animals that include meat in their diet, man is the only animal that is unable to break down uric acid to allantoin. This is due to the fact that man does not possess the necessary enzyme uricase. This leads to an increased possibility of an accumulation of uric acid in the body when animal products are eaten. (Uric acid is an intermediary product of metabolism that is associated with various pathological states, including gout.)” http://nutritionstudies.org/get-protein-where/

Animals that are designed to eat meat don’t have seminal vesicles. Animals that are herbivores have seminal vesicles. Humans have seminal vesicles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS8cmlbKDTU&index=14&list=PLHor9b_4urNuTICynjjFrXE13n0SpbPsC

minimalistbaker November 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I would like to strongly disagree Toby! It is very easy to just say that being vegan is “BAD” for you and eating meat is good just because it’s suits your lifestyle. It’s your choice to eat meat and none of us are saying become vegan, but I will say something when you are actually saying that eating fruits, nuts, and veggies are bad for you. Many people think just because we don’t consume any animal products means we aren’t getting enough protein. That is factually incorrect. If people would actually take the time to research instead of just dismissing it. It is a scientific FACT that avocados, peaches, and figs are very high in protein. Also, kale and other leafy vegetables such as spinach are very high in protein as well. So before you go off and say how being vegan is BAD for you, check your diet because there are MANY studies that show that eating meat over your lifetime (as an typical American diet) you have a high chance of developing cancer, some already developing cancer because of animals proteins and fats. You get plenty of protein in a vegan, plant based diet. “For example, spinach is 51 percent protein; mushrooms, 35 percent; beans, 26 percent; oatmeal, 16 percent; whole wheat pasta, 15 percent; corn, 12 percent; and potatoes, 11 percent.” Please read http://engine2diet.com/question/can-i-get-enough-protein-eating-a-plant-based-diet/. You will find very useful information. Read their website, Rip talks about the effects of animal proteins over the years on your body. So please do not go out saying that being vegan is BAD for when you do not know your facts. And sorry if this came out harsh, I am just very passionate about my health. I am not telling ANYONE to become vegan; it is your choice, your health, your lifestyle. I am just saying, it wouldn’t be bad to look into it or if you continue eating meat and animal proteins, just know that veganism isn’t bad for your health.

Madeleine May 7, 2016 at 1:37 am

There are several studies suggesting you don’t need more than roughly 2-10% protein in your diet. I know. You’re going to say, “What? But I NEED protein! I need it to..build muscles and stuff!” And that is the conventional thought. This is what nutritionists are taught because when you slice open a cow or a chicken or a man and put a slab of his muscle on a slide, what is it made out of? Protein! So, then, you must NEED t I take in protein–ingest it, and plenty of it–to build your muscles, right? Let’s say that’s true. In that case, where does that cow whose big, beefy muscle you were checking out get her protein? Following the nutrition logic we’ve all been fed, to be that big, she’d need to be eating a ton (maybe even literally) of protein, so certainly it can’t be the grass—grass is only 1.8% protein. And what about babies? Human babies, our babies. When they’re born, they’re tiny–mine was only 2.5kilo (about 5 1/2 pounds I think?). By three months old, he was over twice his birthweight! And what did he eat while he did all that growing? Breast milk. Roughly 1% protein. And mum had endless cravings for jacket potatoes (2.4%). We’re both well muscled and happy with just a spoonful of protein in our diets and I hope to keep it that way. It’s only natural.

Jen May 25, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Dude that is the biggest load of bullshit. Ever. Eating a plant based diet is not nor will it ever be bad for you and it’s funny that you say meat and butter aren’t bad for you considering they are directly linked to a number of diseases that are the leading causes of death in today’s society.

Weina August 31, 2014 at 2:30 pm

This is quite a general statement based entirely on opinion. Countless medical journals has published research conducted on various forms of diets and their effects on health and chronic diseases. In fact, the best kind of diet which has actually proven – yes, PROVEN – a cure for various forms of Cancer, heart disease and the top 15 chronic illnesses in North America is a vegetarian or even better – vegan diet. And it’s also been proven that meat is a MAJOR contributor for these illnesses. Our bias and habitual love for meat should not stand in the way of scientific facts.
More info and backup for what I mentioned can be found at Michael Greger M.D’s website nutritionfacts.org

Michelle June 15, 2015 at 12:51 pm

I have to disagree. Growing up on a meat farm around dairy farms, most of these people have poor health. I gained so much weight living at home on the farm and lost and kept it off without trying once I left home. Seeing all these farmers face stroke, heart problems, and diabetes, obesity very young has contributed to my loss of interest in animal products. Not to mention the ” China study ” the largest study in history showing proof of the rise on disease once meat and dairy is introduced in the diet. The wars also prove once meat and dairy was removed from the diet diseases decreased immensely. You can eat meat and dairy with little health problems if its under 20% of your total daily diet. I also had a cousin at 38 die of liver cancer this year, which is directly linked to meat anx dairy. 75% of the world is lactose intolerant. That is damming evidence right there!!!

Mei January 15, 2016 at 7:08 pm

I have been on the search for dairy free recipes that mimic the dairy original. Not because I’ve been told dairy is bad for me, but because it puts my husband and kids in pain and is the cause of sleepless nights full of tummy grumbles. So no, dairy is not good for my family. It is BAD for my family. Gluten messes with my stomach and causes a lot of pain. You shouldn’t make such judgmental blanket statements. My family just started a dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free, and mostly vegan diet. It works well for us. We are already seeing a huge difference. Just because you enjoy a way of eating doesn’t mean you should bash the way other people eat. Just because someone else’s diet doesn’t work for you, doesn’t mean it is bad for everyone.

Sandy April 7, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Recipe Rating:

All this talk about vegan is bad for you is really ignorant to the facts. Whatever you choose your diet to be if it’s in moderation is the key.Some people have reactions to certain foods that are too quickly labled as a allergy. There are literally thousands of pages of information about the benefits of the Vegan diet. I have 3 family members that went vegan for health reasons or like my son just to be supportive of his wife. He unexspectedly lost 70lbs. Over a year’s time feels better and looks better then he ever has.He doesn’t work out and has the body of a bronze god!! Ask my daughter in law…lol. But his health and hers is fine.So there is something to be said about not opening your mouth to berate someone’s choice of eating. It makes you look ignorant when you open your mouth without facts. Just sayin..notice I did say anything bad about your choices.

msredcell April 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Are you really trying to claim there is no scientific evidence to support the belief that eating a solid lump of animal fat is bad for the circulatory system.

I am not vegan or vegatarian. I eat meat and have absolutely no ethical problem with it. BUT that doesn’t negate my grip on reality and the need for moderation. I have drawn blood from animals who eat a high animal fat diet. It is the color of a strawberry milkshake there are so many fat globules floating around in it. Nurses tell me they see the same in humans. You don’t find this in low animal fat diets. I’m not sure the verdict is in on how healthy a solid lump of vegetable fat is either, but this is a treat, eaten occasionally, so probably not an issue.

Animal proteins are an efficient means of getting all the essential amino acids. You can’t compare a human digestive system with that of an herbivore, especially the ruminents mentioned. We just don’t efficiently digest roughage. If we want a animal protein free diet we have to work hard to insure it is well balanced and meets our protein needs. We are omivours. Our digestive track is designed to eat everything and requires high quality protein. Our problem is we have turned that into meat being the mainstay of most of our diets, We are not carnivores and that diet also leaves out many items essential to our health.

That said, even though I eat meat, please don’t try to inferthat nuts, vegetables, whole grains, etc are not good for me.just because vegetable oils have been hydrogenated to death in order to replace butter.

Besides, isn’t this website really about sharing recipes, and vegan, vegetarian or meat eater, this sounds like a very fun, tasty way to splurge on dessert. I can hardly wait to try it.

Nutrition is very complex and we are very fortunate that as humans, we can figure out many healthy eating programs.

Sheila Shupe May 30, 2013 at 6:04 pm

First off, I am a huge supporter of Mr. Price Via Sally Fallon’s book, “Nourishing Traditions”. I am ALWAYS trying to convince people that real, healthy fat is better than the fake stuff- however, coconut fat is very,very, good for you as well. It just happens to be non-dairy.

Marie-France January 29, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Salem,
I agree. I too eat all natural foods in reasonable quantities. I think that this is the ticket. In fact I much prefer to eat a bit of butter and cream and feel good about it, then put hydrogenated trans oils like margarine into my system! My body doesn’t know what to make of that – so I stick to nice virgin cold pressed oils and butter, and I am in perfect happy and grateful to be blessed with excellent health! ;-)
All best,
Marie-France

Sara June 19, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Recipe Rating:

A lot of comments stated that you should return to ‘natural’ products such as butter and cream. But if you think about it, how natural is it really to consume the breastmilk of another species? I can’t believe that we were told for generations that this counts as ‘natural’. I am not saying vegetable fats are any better, just doubting that our stomach can cope with cows milk.(someone said we shouldn’t compare ourselves to cows because they have four stomachs to digest plants. How come that we try to digest their milk then?) If you can enjoy it that’s great, to each its own, but many people have allergies or are lactose intolerant. So it’s great to have that alternative :) besides, coconut is awesome!

Angela March 18, 2014 at 12:24 am

I think you may need to watch the documentary, “Forks Over Knives”. And don’t forget to watch the extended interviews DVD that is offered, too. They are only videos. They can’t hurt you. :-)

Vyolet March 30, 2014 at 7:20 am

Why do carnivores come to a vegan blog and bash the vegan way of life. We are not hurting anyone (literally). Please find your recipes on another site if you find these unhealthy.

Davey April 5, 2014 at 11:41 am

No kidding! I cook all the time, and I don’t read comments on epicurious that are like, “pineapple? Did you know pineapples are blah blah no evidence and doctor boobahroo actual found pineapples blah blah…”

Whether it’s true or not it’s off topic. On a recipe site comments are more useful if they refine the recipe, provide alternatives or offer feedback.

Aiko April 26, 2014 at 8:33 pm

There’s one thing I’ve never liked about true vegans and vegetarians. Don’t get me wrong I love your food, I think your beliefs are really cool and mature (most of the time) but that one phrase always gets to me “we never hurt anyone”. The better phrase would be “we don’t hurt animals” (humans included in that category). Plants do feel, they have young and have been proven to communicate with them and take care of them. They have REAL emotions and can physically feel your touch and your shears. They just do things differently than walking creatures and just because they don’t talk or scream doesn’t mean that what are doing doesn’t hurt them. I believe in rights for all animals but I also believe plants deserve more respect. to be treated like they are living too (which they are, everyone knows what a dead plant looks like), we may eat them and we do, we have to eat. but to be blind and deaf enough to not acknowledge they are living and that harvest does in fact hurt them and sometimes even kills them? whether we choose to eat meat or not doesn’t matter, how we treat those we do eat, does. at least acknowledge plants are alive and feeling.

Kim November 1, 2014 at 1:30 pm

You are hurting plants…

Aiko April 26, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I’ve actually learned the diet of our ancestors is the most appropriate. Humans are frugivores IE. eating fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, seeds and nuts with OR without meat. meat only being consumed every now and then. Our canines aren’t long enough to be true carnivores or omnivores and our nashers aren’t large enough or shaped correctly to be true herbivores either. we’re are more in between herbivores and omnivores, the difference is we are capable of omitting meat from our diets (if we want) omnivores can’t they HAVE to eat meat. Our true diet should consist of 85% or more of plant products and the rest meat should we choose. looking at the rest of our frugivore companions the same holds true for them, some monkeys and apes will eat only plant products and some will eat meat (only what they can catch though). I think we should just pick a diet that suits our region rather than expecting every one to eat the exact same foods. some regions can’t eat strictly vegetable diets as its hard to grow food there and other can’t eat too much meat since raising animals may be difficult too.

Weina August 31, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I agree with mostly what you wrote here about not everyone should eat the exact same diet depending on their environment and situation.

However, your earlier comment about plants having feelings stumps me.
As far as I know no reputable study has ever shown that plants can “feel pain”. They lack the nervous system and brain necessary for this to happen. A plant can respond to stimuli, for example by turning towards the light or closing over a fly, but that is not the same thing. It is also hard to see what purpose pain could serve for the plant, since they can hardly run away.
I agree with you that we should treat all living beings with respect, people, animals, plants and the earth in general since it is a gift given freely to us by God to enjoy. And I also agree that plants have consciousness (in the sense they respond to positive and negative energy around them), as even water is conscious (refer to Dr. Masaru Emoto’s experiments). However, to go as far as saying plants have “feelings” and “emotions”, in my humble opinion is quite far fetched. Emotions like love, jealousy, anger, resentment, joy, guilt are felt by humans. Some emotions are also felt by animals. But it would be a very great feat to prove to me that plants can feel the joy in seeing a sunrise, the sadness in seeing their plant buddy being picked up and moved away, the jealousy towards another more beautiful flower….
Maybe science has not come to a point to be able to prove all this, or maybe I’m not understanding you correctly, but it is very hard for me to take your statement of plants having feelings into serious consideration.

Chef Shac May 2, 2014 at 10:24 am

Thank you Salem! The truth of eating whole food and it’s healing properties is refreshing.. Who cares who doesn’t agree! The truth will set you free to really live whole and healthy! Thank you and I will be looking for this book!

VeganBee August 12, 2014 at 5:06 am

Are you kidding me? I feel bad for you. I really do. If that’s how you see veganism you’re sadly being miss informed. Go enjoy the breast milk a raped cow has produced for her baby that was taken from her at birth, fed formula while fretting for his mother then slaughtered. Veganism is a compassionate movement based on the fact that animal exploitation is just flat out wrong. It has nothing to do with sales in vegetable shortening. Wowzers.

Vic September 6, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I am an herbivore and have been my entire life. I am 45. I am extremely healthy. I am healthier than most people that I know. My grandparents, who raised dairy cows and ate meat, died young of heart problems and diabetes related causes. This caused my parents to forgo all animal products. They raised me and my siblings vegan, way before vegan was all the rage. I am thankful of this in so many ways. Whether it’s for ethical, environmental, or health reasons, vegan is the way to go, for the optimal healthy lifestyle (especially if you are very active, like myself). My children are being raised vegan and I hope they continue the tradition.

Ezee September 13, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Ok hold on a sec. Did you know that most of the things our taste buds crave are not good for our bodies?! For example: salty msg flavoured chips, sugary doughnuts, white bread, KFC, mcdonalds hamburgers and other fast food items…. We tend to crave food by the extremes (salty, sweet, fatty foods.) Major food productions know this and have used it well to their advantage. Craving a particular food, does not mean that it is “naturally” healthy for you. It only means that your brain was enjoying it while eating it, and wants to experience that same amount of joy..thus sending out signals that you “NEED” to eat that really deliciously greasy French fry you had last weekend or that slice of store bought Oreo cake you consumed a few days ago.

mark November 1, 2014 at 4:10 pm

My understanding is that we have cravings when our bodies are not getting something they need. They are craving nutrients, which are obtained through eating, and if you eat junk like you mentioned then your body will be a little confused about what’s available and how to meet its needs. I don’t eat those things and so never crave them. Sometimes I really want to eat a banana or something, but nothing at the level of craving because I eat real food. Why would your body ever truly want you to eat msg? It doesn’t get anything from that.

Sara June 19, 2016 at 4:13 pm
Recipe Rating:

What we tend to forget is that we can also crave cigarettes, coffee and alkohol. It is all about what we are used to. But there are different kinds of cravings. We really need to think about our needs a little bit. I was craving chocolate once a month, turned out it was really just iron I needed. I included more lentils in my diet and had no cravings ever since. Unfortunately we can train our brain to want certain things as well that doesn’t mean that your body needs them. It is just conditioned to seek that stimulant which doesn’t need to have any nutritional value.

mags November 26, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Thank you for your well researched opinion. I strongly agree.

Kathie January 28, 2015 at 12:54 am

Well, for me the Lactose is a real trigger so the cow’s milk – raw or processed is not an option as is the case for many people who cannot tolerate dairy and gluten. So I appreciate any alternative recipes. I am actually making my own gluten free birthday cake and looking for a recipe for a not too sweet frosting at the moment.

Mellisa May 28, 2015 at 10:09 am

Exactly! If you don’t have a dairy allergy or intolerance, there’s no reason to replace fat from cows milk with fat from a coconut.
Whipped cream is delicious.
However, for people who can’t have dairy, this is probably the best replacement.

Loretta February 12, 2016 at 11:04 pm

May I suggest the breakdown the person had was not related to being a vegan.
Propaganda and rubbish. People have breakdowns (horrible term) for unrelieved stress of maybe illness or eating incorrect diet.
Vegan diet can be very healthy.

Loretta February 12, 2016 at 11:06 pm

May I suggest the breakdown the person had was not related to being a vegan.
Propaganda and rubbish. People have breakdowns (horrible term) for unrelieved stress or maybe illness or eating incorrect diet. Or major loss
Vegan diet can be very healthy.
And well researched.
I eat whole grain whole food vegan, little oil and lots of vegetables, have done for nearly fifteen years, am 66 very fit and healthy.

Hottomato January 13, 2017 at 4:07 pm

If you don’t have a problem with dairy whipped cream, then why are you here? I am allergic, as are most that have seeked out this recipe. If you don’t want to make anyone else feel bad, here’s a thought, don’t!

mk April 15, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Hi, Salem. It was nice of you to share, and I’m sure some non-vegans will appreciate it, but I think most long term vegans avoid dairy due to the animal abuse involved, with the health concerns being secondary. You’re correct about the low fat craze taking us away from healthy, saturated fats like avocado and coconut fat, of course, but this recipe uses just that.

Since you’re a reader and you recommend books for others, I’m sure you won’t mind me recommending some reading for you. This is what the Humane Society has to say about dairy: http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/farm/hsus-the-welfare-of-cows-in-the-dairy-industry.pdf Go ahead – it’s just an article – it can’t hurt you.

You may think that organic, pasture fed dairy is exempt, but no. There’s lots a reading out there and clearly you’re a good researcher, so I’ll leave you with one more easy read: http://www.alternet.org/story/145378/got_milk_a_disturbing_look_at_the_dairy_industry.

Last thought: there is a misconception about dairy being a basic food group. Only a small number of people in northern Europe evolved to tolerate milk further into their lives and they developed bovine milk as a food source. The practice spread, but the tolerance only developed somewhat. After a certain age, most of us feel much better when we stop using it.

jane August 14, 2017 at 10:51 am

I have read nutrition and physical degeneration, and found it fascinating, I think everyone should read it. It provides clarity from all the hype surrounding diet these days, somethings good for you one minute, bad the next. At the end of the day we are animals and should just eat what nature provides. We have lost the art of preparing foods properly, most cultures ferment their grains. Also todays mass production and soil quality means less nutrition in food.

mark curtis November 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Please do some reading, real cream is one of the healthiest fats you can eat! Do no deprive yourself of one of nature’s beautiful foods. I would venture to guess that you drink skim milk also, sad if true.

That being said, Coconut cream really is healthier than dairy cream.

JR November 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

It’s not healthier for the dairy cow! Where is the conversation about the ethics of factory farming!

Dawn November 10, 2015 at 6:57 pm

milk has pus, urine feces, and usually antibiotics and the pain and suffering of the cow in it…

moi January 20, 2015 at 5:08 pm

YES, it makes a huge difference! You absolutely need sweetener and vanilla. I use maple syryp (1tbsp) and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. It’s delicious.

Dawn November 10, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I was going to say, it may have been rancid and or you could be tasting the metal…i hope someday, they’ll put this stuff in glass jars or some new natural hemp ‘plastic’…

Amanda May 9, 2013 at 7:17 pm

It does taste like coconut. Coconut heaven.

Narconon Fresh Start Reviews July 23, 2013 at 6:55 am

They are one of my favorites! They are pretty dramatic recipie, yet natural at the same time. Thank you!

Shara September 13, 2014 at 4:18 pm

trade aid coconut milk works well – it is fair trade BPA free and even though guar gum is the only added ingredient it still separates beautifully (even in my pantry in the winter never mind the fridge)

monica January 23, 2013 at 11:23 pm

LOL!! me to

Pattigail March 23, 2013 at 9:38 am

I am so excited about this recipe. I hate using cool whip on my coconut cake because of the chemicals. This will be a perfect. Coconut all the way!

esther August 30, 2012 at 9:23 am

Looks great! Thanks for the tip about refrigerating it before whipping. I can’t wait to try!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family August 30, 2012 at 9:33 am

Simple is the name of the game for me today, and the title of my blog post :)

I love all of the pictures because it helps me visualize (that is the type of learner I am) what things should look like.

I cannot wait to give this a try. One more thing to check off my list as I make my way into a full on vegan lifestyle.

Happy Thursday to you Angela!

Angela August 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

So glad to hear that! Good luck!

Janae @ Bring-Joy August 30, 2012 at 9:36 am

I’ve been vegan for 6 years & I’m still coming across lovely tricks like this!

I have a funny story about whipped cream. My husband made me a gluten-free, vegan cake for my birthday (how sweet, right? especially since he is neither vegan nor gluten-free AND belongs to the sex that is typically not known for baking skills). He surprised me with the cake, beautifully topped with strawberries and…cool whip. I was thrilled he went to all the effort to make the cake so I happily ate it. Now I have a little trick to pass along, so when next birthday rolls around, he’ll be fully prepared :).

Angela August 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

hahah that’s cute. Now he has a solution! That reminds me of when Eric put an entire banana peel into my Green Monster the first time he made one.

Janae @ Bring-Joy August 30, 2012 at 10:11 am

Oh my goodness. A whole banana peel. I love it. That must have been
hilarious. Just tell me you didn’t find that out AFTER you tried it?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012 at 11:53 am

I chugged it right before leaving for a friend’s wedding that I was a bridesmaid in (!!)…and later Eric told me casually what he put in it.
Oddly enough I read an article the other day touting the health benefits of banana peels. We had a good chuckle about that!

Janae @ Bring-Joy August 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm

So, you didn’t notice anything *weird* about the smoothie? You must have a great blender!

Karrie August 30, 2012 at 9:36 am

You can do that very same thing with the can and use the same part for no-churn coconut milk ice cream! (I just bookmarked this the other day and haven’t had a chance ti try it!) vegan-magic.blogspot.com/2012/07/no-churn-coconut-chocolate-ice-cream.html

Beks August 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

I was thinking that you could easily turn this into ice cream. I was thinking of flavoring it and putting it in the ice cream maker for a bit. But that works, too. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012 at 11:53 am

I’ve heard of that too! Will check it out.

Andrea @ Vegvacious August 30, 2012 at 9:36 am

How easy and awesome is this?! I think I’m one of the only people who’s never heard of this before! I love this and would definitely prefer to use this over Cool Whip which tends to be my family’s first choice ;-) Thanks for the great tutorial!!

JILL CARRERO September 3, 2012 at 5:51 pm

i am so excited! I have food allergies, have not had a descent dessert in a yr and a half!
oh, are you kidding? coconut whip cream?? non dairy! and ice cream??? Thank you GOD!!!

Mrs Kelly April 9, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Andrea, here’s a little experiment that may end your family’s love of cool whip. It sure did it for me & I could eat a whole tub of it with a spoon BEFORE this… http://www.jonathanfields.com/blog/horrifying-12-day-cool-whip-experiment/

Helene August 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

The pictures are so beautiful, I wanted to lick my computer screen.

Emma August 30, 2012 at 9:41 am

This is how I make it too!
It also stores and defrost great from the freezer. I fill my silicone ice cube trays with double batchs for a single serving size any time I feel the urge

Lea August 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

This is all too much for me…as I luvvvvv coconut. Freeze the coconut whipped cream in silicone ice cream trays!!………..thx so much Emma!!! and thanx for the tutorial Angela!!

Devon October 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Brilliant!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings August 30, 2012 at 9:42 am

I’m so glad you shared this! I tried to make it one night for a dairy free strawberry shortcake and it did not turn out at all! Now I know not to use the coconut “milk” part :) So So yum!

Destini August 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

I make my coconut whip cream exactly like this! my husband loves it :)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh August 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

Absolutely BRILLIANT!! I can so see this on top of a banana cream pie…or anything that will stand still.

Tanya @ playful and hungry August 30, 2012 at 9:48 am

Ah, how funny! This was one of the first things I tried when going vegan! I didn’t even know whether coconut cream would whip at all – obviously it did and it made my day. ;)

Joanna August 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

Love this. I’ve never thought to whip coconut whip cream. Will definitely bookmark this page.

deva by definition August 30, 2012 at 9:56 am

I was at the grocery store last night looking for coconut milk to use for my breakfast and saw that there was Goya brand cream of coconut – which I think is just the coconut crea. I may have to try this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’ve heard of that brand I think! Awesome. I have yet to see it, but will keep my eyes peeled. let me know how it goes!

Marian August 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm

It’s sweetened.

adam August 30, 2012 at 10:03 am

thanks for coming out and sharing the secret! I must admit I should get back on to doing this more regularly again too, remembering how easy it really is. I’ve been using a can of soy whip, but it, well, taste like soya..
ps. Helene please don’t lick your screen, make the damn cream instead ! ; )

Jenn KD August 30, 2012 at 10:05 am

You just made my dairy free day!!

Erica {EricaDHouse.com} August 30, 2012 at 10:05 am

I think I may have to try and freeze this and see what kind of ice cream concoction I can come up with!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 30, 2012 at 10:21 am

I have wanted to try this for so long! I made a coconut flour “fluff” to top my key lime smoothie today, but I am thinking this would be over-the-top. Must buy coconut milk.

Ksenija August 30, 2012 at 10:21 am

I always wondered how to do this – so useful! Thanks!

Julie (A Case of the Runs) August 30, 2012 at 10:29 am

Mmm, I need to try again! Tried it recently, and it was a big-o fail. I never got all that thick stuff from the can, and no amount of beating helped. It was definitely a full-fat coconut milk, too. I’ll try a different brand.

tatiana September 29, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Just a tip i have learned – gently shake the can before you buy it. if you hear it swishing much, it won’t separate into the thick cream and water parts- don’t buy it! find a can that sounds solid!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm

great tip, thank you!

Katrina March 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm

yeah, mine separated but both parts were liquid so flipping the can half mixed them up again.

Rajvinder Kaur August 30, 2012 at 10:32 am

I had come across this recently on another blog but seeing the picutres here has motivated me even more to try it. I guess now I know what I will be doing over the weekend :). Thanks Angela!!

Lauren @ Golden Ring Runner August 30, 2012 at 10:34 am

OMG STOPPP. That looks just too fabulous. I die. :)

Lisa August 30, 2012 at 10:36 am

I make this with maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon! Last year at Thanksgiving my family preferred this over the dairy stuff on the pumpkin pie!

Christa @ Edible Balance August 30, 2012 at 10:37 am

whoa!!! how have I not known about this?! my mind has just been blown… I need to make this asap! I don’t even know what for, but even if it’s to dip my finger in it and eat straight up, I’m doing it :)

fabulous tutorial Angela, I love seeing all the steps

OSGMOM August 30, 2012 at 10:41 am

Well this might be “Old Hat” to many but totally new to me :) Can’t wait to try this out!

Rhona August 30, 2012 at 10:42 am

I just made whipped coconut the past weekend for a vegan apple tartin but I had a bit of trouble as I didn’t know about the flipping can bit. This was an excellent tutorial. Thank you so much. I will be using this again and again now.

Jenny August 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

I’ve seen recipes for this for such a long time, but your tutorial really makes me want to make it now. I love that about your site- you always motivate me to put my fears aside and just go for it.

Solveig @ gluten-free-vegan-girl August 30, 2012 at 10:47 am

Wow, I actually did not know you could make whipped cream from just a can of coconut milk! Will definitely try this out soon, and the step-by-step tutorial makes it very easy to understand, so thank you for uploading this! :)

Betty August 30, 2012 at 10:49 am

How have I not known about this before?!?! I can’t wait to try it …. Fabulous tutorial and pics!

Jody August 30, 2012 at 10:52 am

Thank you so much for this!! I had never even heard of coconut whipped cream, I had only tried that yucky soy one! So many possibilities for this…

Willow August 30, 2012 at 10:57 am

Wow, I feel like an idiot now… I use the cream off the top of the can all the time (and of course chill it in the fridge the night before) but I never would have thought to flip it upside down and just poor the liquid off. Brilliant!

Daniella August 30, 2012 at 11:00 am

This looks great! Just a question… if you had to chill it in order to get the cream, and then used it on a cake you might have sitting out at a party or something, would the cream pretty much melt? Or does it hold its solid form after being whipped?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Thats a great question. I havent tried it, but what I would do is keep the cake in the fridge until just before serving. That way you won’t have to worry about it getting soft. Maybe even serve it on a cake stand that has been in the freezer to keep it cool? I think it would depend on the temperature of the room too. Maybe there is someone else reading who can weigh in on this question! I will be trying it for a recipe, so I will be sure to test it out.

Daniella August 30, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Yeah, good point! I guess you don’t really need to serve it until it’s actually needed. I’ll have to try this some time and see what happens.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

you’re absolutely right. i want to stick my face in that bowl!! yum!!

Stacy August 30, 2012 at 11:54 am

On QVC last weekend they were selling the Vitamix. During the demonstration they made dairy whipped cream right in the blender! They just poured in some cream, blended for a couple minutes, and in came out thick and creamy! Do you think you could do this with the coconut milk?

Thea September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Stacy: I can’t way whether the VitaMix would work or not. However, I have a thought for you: According to the recipe, it seems like having everything be very cold is important. The VitaMix generates a lot of heat – so much so that the company brags that you can cook right in it. I don’t know if it would get too hot to make this work or not. I just thought I would share the thought with you.

Stephanie August 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm

This looks so great! I’m pinning to try with my next dessert!

anna @ adaptive advantage August 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thank you, thank you for this post! I’ve been missing something creamy like this, especially for pies and ice cream — and this will do the trick just perfect!
I’ve been so intimidated to try something like this — but I think the step by step pictures will do the trick.
I just want to go and eat this all right now!

Kelly August 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thank you so much!!! My oldest son has a lot of allregies, which dairy is one of them!! I can not wait to get a can and try this!! I’ll be able to make him so many more reciepies that are more like “mom and dads”…..And share it with the rest of my family!! Again, THANK YOU so much!!

Samantha August 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm

So bummed I just finished the chocolate zucchini muffins before I read this because I would have totally pretended they were cupcakes.. Though now visions of maple syrup and cinnamon spiked whipped cream topping pumpkin spice muffins are starting to dance in my head….

Catherine August 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm

This looks awesome! Why have I never tried this? Thanks for the tutorial. It looks perfect for strawberry shortcake.

Wonder what would happen if I added cocoa powder….?

kathryn August 30, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I have seen a recipe for icing using whipped coconut cream and cocoa, it looked amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

I agree – I made one for a recipe in the book. Just like a fudge whip!

Deirdre August 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I want to take a bath in that stuff…oh my yummy.

DeAnn September 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Does anyone know if I can just use a can of chilled coconut cream instead of coconut milk?

Ann Duncan December 23, 2012 at 9:18 pm

DeAnn – pretty sure that would work but I look forward to hearing from someone that has already tried it :)

CCC January 7, 2013 at 9:07 pm

OMG I was so looking forward to this whole experience, and bamm… a bummer can of coconuts; GOYA does not work, I was so psyked to kick off my cow-free tiramisu. Pulled out the chilled can of Goya coconut milk………..and….SPLASH!! No sludge,,,, just pure watery-white, milk. 8>(
Now on the prowl for the Native Forest brand. Does any one have any names of other brands of cocnut milk that work????? A picture of the the label ingredients from the can would be great too, in case you can’t find the exact brand, you could at least compare label ingredients, etc.
O well, the joys in the journey!!! CCC

Barbara January 15, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Try Aroy-D Coconut milk “for cooking” (not the one “for desserts”) Look for what is written on the can. I found mine at a Chinese grocer. I keep these cans in my cold room (40 F) and when I open one, the entire contents of the can is solid. Haven’t tried the whipping cream yet but will soon. Thanks Angela for this great website – hubby and I went vegan two months ago – a bit of a challenge to cook meals with variety but this site has helped. I have to admit that some nights when I run out of ideas I think about the “old days” when all I had to do was throw a chicken in the oven. Seemed easier. But we HAVE NOT succumbed to the temptation. :)

Kat March 12, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thai Kitchen is a good full fat brand – no preservatives too.
Another tip: I have been soaking dates in a little water (just enough to barely cover) overnight. In the morning, I put them in my food processor with the blade, add a little almond and vanilla extract – and it whips up into a light, sweet topping. Maybe could try going halfsies with the coconut milk and the date “cream” – so the date cream would sweeten the mixture.

Charlotte April 16, 2013 at 8:45 am

Yes, please–I would like to know what brands others have tried.

Jae December 25, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Hi – I tried this tonight with Trader Joes Extra Rich and Creamy – it has Xanthum Gum and one funky Cellulous ingredient. The WHOLE can was cream – I used half and frozen the rest for the future. Added some vanilla and sweetener – was great! Made with a ‘no bake apple pie’ (found on Whole Foods’ site) – a big hit with non-vegans!

Gillian April 21, 2014 at 10:15 am

I use the Aroy-D pure coconut milk, no preservatives or guar gum etc. available at No Frills in southern Ontario. There are a few different kinds of Aroy-D and I think one or 2 might have additives, but not this one – make sure you look for the black/dark green can with no “lite” or “dessert” label.

Lisa September 25, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Thanks, Gillian. I just discovered this post and I am so excited to be able to have whipped cream for Thanksgiving this year! I will pick up a few cans of Aroy-D from No Frills this weekend and put them in the fridge. :)