Warm Quinoa Salad with 3-Herb Green Sauce

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 20, 2012

quinoa salad summer-3978

My weekend consisted of about 20+ hours cooking, baking, styling, and shooting cookbook recipes. It was intense, but luckily I always seem to have a lot of fun when there’s food involved. I managed to cap off the weekend by gouging my middle finger with a processor blade. Middle finger indeed. Side note – Have you ever tried to type with a band-aid on? This could get ugly…

As Hillary said on Instagram, my kitchen photo made her twitch:

20120817_152056

I feel you, Hillary.

Anyway, it felt so good to kick up my feet Sunday night! This quinoa salad fueled my weekend, in addition to 3 summer appetizers, 1 breakfast recipe, and 2 entrées. Luckily, we had friends over Saturday night to help us eat all the appetizers we were drowning in. The plates were empty within an hour, so I’ll take that as a good sign!

quinoa salad summer-3894

This quinoa salad is served warm, which seemed appropriate for the cooler temps we had over the weekend. It’s all topped off with a lovely green sauce to infuse the dish with a tangy bite of fresh herbs, lemon, and olive oil. I used basil, chives, and dill because that’s what I had on hand, but feel free to use any herbs you like.

quinoa salad summer-3989

Warm Quinoa Salad with 3-Herb Green Sauce

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 2-3 servings

Salad:

• 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 0.45kg/1 lb mixed cherry/Campari tomatoes
  • 3 corn-on-the-cob, shucked
  • 3 green onions, chopped

3-Herb Green Sauce: (yield = approx 1/3 cup)

• 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 cup lightly packed basil
  • 1 tbsp fresh dill*
  • 2 tbsp fresh chives
  • approx 1/4 cup yellow tomato*
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/8th tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)

1. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Add quinoa to a medium-sized pot along with 1.5 cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat to low and cover with lid. Cook for 15-17 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes with the lid on before fluffing with a fork.

2. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Chop tomatoes and mince garlic. Remove corn from the cob by slicing down the ear of the corn with a chef’s knife. Add oil to skillet and the chopped veggies. Season generously with Herbamare or fine grain sea salt. Cook for about 7-8 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in chopped green onions.

3. Meanwhile, make the green sauce in a food processor. Start by dropping the garlic into the processor to mince. Now add in the herbs and mince again. Next add the liquids – tomatoes, oil, and lemon juice. Stop to scrape down the side of the bowl as needed. Season to taste & add opt. nooch.

4. To assemble, spoon quinoa into a bowl, layer the tomato and corn mix on top, and spoon on green sauce. Season with salt and pepper & enjoy!

Notes: 1) You can sub any fresh herbs that you like. 2) The yellow tomatoes in this green sauce acts as an oil-replacer. They thin out the sauce without needing a ton of oil. I used yellow tomatoes so the sauce would remain a lovely green colour. Red tomatoes will likely change the colour to be less vibrant.

quinoa salad summer-3962

The fridge is overflowing with simple, healthy food. It’s going to be a great week!

Page 2 of 2«12
LizAshlee August 21, 2012 at 6:29 am

Mmm..this does look perfect for the cooler temps we might be having soon! Those blades can be nasty! Hope it heals fast!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 21, 2012 at 6:47 am

Looks delicious! I love quinoa and the vegetable combination is wonderful!! Great dish! Makes for a perfect lunch!!

Marissa August 21, 2012 at 9:08 am

What a beautiful salad! The array of colors make this especially appealing to me. I could see this being a great dish to bring to a family gathering.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet August 21, 2012 at 9:51 am

So pretty! Pretty salads are always fun to eat. :) The sauce sounds amazing – I can’t wait to try it!!

Squash Blossom Babies August 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

What a great recipe! I can totally relate to having a kitchen look like that after a marathon cooking day! those are the best!

Brooke August 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

I love your dinner/entree recipes the best!

I made this last night as part of my you-really-need-to-eat-some-nutrients kick, and it was just so delightful. The crunch of the corn is perfect in the dish, and I even sliced up a bit of avocado and put it on top!

Thanks for this recipe :)

Marya August 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm

This looks delish! Can’t wait to try it, you have the best sauce recipes and this is such a great time for tomatoes.

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen August 21, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thank goooooooooooooooodness I’m not the only one with a totally crazy kitchen! My husband wants to kill me sometimes!

LIme August 22, 2012 at 10:10 am

I loved this recipe… Also don’t like corn so sautéed red peppers with tomatoes and carrots instead… Suprisingly tasty! The green dressing was amazing.. I was eating it out of the food processor…great recipe Angela!

Katherine August 22, 2012 at 3:31 pm

This was AMAZING! (FYI, we added some chopped avacado and cucumber on top, and didn’t have any dill.) My husband and I couldn’t believe how delicious this was. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Good call with the avocado and cuke!! Glad you enjoyed it.

Catherine August 24, 2012 at 8:41 am

Sorry about your finger! I understand – I fractured my middle finger a couple weeks ago, and it makes things like typing and cooking much more difficult than usual.

This quinoa dish looks fantastic. It is so pretty! I love the mix of vibrant summer colors. I bet it’s as delicious as it is beautiful.

Aislinn August 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I made the today – sooooo good. I added some fresh jalapenos, red pepper and some english cucumber to my salad (basically whatever was in the fridge. This dish is so yummy!

Jessica August 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I had this for dinner tonight. So good!

Julie Ann Ivanov August 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Just wanted to say I so enjoy your new format on your website. Your creativity and healthy cooking have been such a help to me caring for my family. Thank you for sharing your gifting with all of us!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2012 at 6:45 am

Thank you Julie! I will pass along your comments to Eric.

Stephanie August 28, 2012 at 9:16 pm

This recipe is amazing! I tried it over the weekend and I’ve gladly been eating the leftovers since then. All the flavours mix so well together, absolutely delicious!

Ashley August 31, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I’ve made this salad twice in three days and I am in love! Truthfully, if you include the leftovers for lunch, I’ve eaten this salad every day for the past three days, and I’m looking forward to lunch tomorrow! Thank you for another fabulous recipe!

Nancy Brennan September 1, 2012 at 10:49 am

I made the quinoa salad last week and it was yummy!! We went to the farmer’s market and picked up what we need to make it again! Thank you so much, recipe and directions…purrfect!

Dena maddie September 2, 2012 at 9:47 am

Holy moly. That 3 herb green sauce dressing was fantastic! This is a keeper

jannifer September 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

I have a problem with your blog. I want to make every recipe you post! It’s a little bit of an obsession. I’ve loved everything I’ve tried. Last night I made this one and it’s delicious. It’s great the next morning at room temp as a snack before a run, too! I’m eagerly anticipating your cookbook release.

Lynne D September 3, 2012 at 1:28 am

This was so good and so filling.

Susan September 6, 2012 at 11:23 am

Served this on Labour Day to non vegan friends. Everyone including the kids loved it.
Only change I made: roasted cherry tomatoes instead of sautéing the tomatoes.
It was delish!

Cheryl September 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm

This was one of the best dishes I have ever made. Tasted even better the next day.

Jamie September 19, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I guess this recipe yields a happy belly and a hurting body part for me too! Knocked my head pretty good on the cabinet but, OH how my his and and I loved this recipe! Added almond slices for a little crunch :) thank you!

Amanda October 10, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This was awesome! I had to make adjustments as I didn’t have any dill or chives in the garden — I used basil with a little oregano and tarragon and threw in a couple spoonfuls of the green onion for t. I also had a bunch of bell peppers and a zucchini so I added those in with the corn and tomato mixture. Even my husband (the meat and potatoes guy) and my toddler loved it. I have enough left for lunch tomorrow, too (which I am really looking forward to, let me tell you!). I ended up with a few extra veggies due to my additions, but they’ll go great in the vegan enchiladas I’m making tomorrow. Thanks for the great recipe!

Amanda November 8, 2012 at 1:36 am

Made it a second time with a cilantro basil dressing and cubed avocado on top — even better. Such a versatile recipe!

Lexi B October 14, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Wow! This salad really stands up to improvisation, too! We were out of just the weirdest things today (like garlic- we were out of garlic!), and I made it using garlic powder, edamame for the corn, and a handful of parsley. Still delicious!

daphne October 22, 2012 at 2:58 am

How’s your middle finger now? hope it’s fine. .I am so impressed! And your photography is just STUNNING! : )

Juanita December 3, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I’m drooling over this….looks so good!

Samantha January 18, 2013 at 10:16 am

Hi Angela,
You may have heard this already, but did you see this scary article about quinoa?
guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa
Luckily I have found a place where we can Canadian grown quinoa. I bet it taste better too!
quinoa.com/store
Cheers,
Samantha

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013 at 8:41 am

Yes another reader linked to it on my maple baked lentil post and I replied there.

rachel June 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm

YUM! I just made this today: added fresh cilantro to the green dressing and kale to the veggie topping. Delish!

Ramona June 25, 2013 at 1:32 pm

So good and so quick! Ran home from work and whipped it up in time for some friends to come over for dinner.

Liz July 2, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Yummy salad! I added grilled steak for my carnivorous husband & he thought it was great! Awesome summer salad!

Jessica April 20, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I’ve been making this about twice a month for awhile now, even my picky kids love it,
They call it greenwah

Liat July 4, 2014 at 11:55 am

Terrific, thank you! I added some zucchini and yellow pepper to the veggies, and replaced the dill with mint. YUM!

Karin August 23, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Another great recipe. I added raw cashews to the sauce to make it a little creamier & more filling. Delicious!

Deborah October 12, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Made this for my 12 year old daughter who is a vegetarian. She loves this salad and takes it to school for lunch. She can’t get enough of the green sauce!

Vannie October 12, 2017 at 10:52 am

So easy to make and adapt depending on what you have in your pantry . Huge hit with the kids and very filling .
I added avacado to the green sauce and black beans to the corn veg mix . Was wonderful !!

Kevin November 15, 2018 at 9:02 pm

Just ate tonight! What an incredible meal. Flavors were top notch!
That herb sauce smelt SOOOOO good I put a dab of it on my neck. Had to bat away the Mediterranean ladies.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2018 at 3:00 pm

haha, too funny. I’m so happy to hear you loved it Kevin! Thanks :)