Neon Pink Smoothie “Juice”

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 2, 2012

IMG_2817-2

When we moved earlier this year, we parted with a lot of household and personal items so we could fit into our new space. Parting with stuff also helped us stage the house – less clutter and personal items translates into a more “showable” house and we had a lot of positive feedback from prospective buyers.

IMG_1571

In this case below, we actually had to add furniture and things. It was previously an empty entryway if some of you recall.

IMG_1537

The best way to de-clutter is to do it in waves. Normally, I’d say “just rip the bandage off in one quick motion”, but with de-cluttering there really is a mental shift that has to occur over time. We’d go through each room 3-5 times over the span of a few months. Each time, it got a bit easier to get rid of things, and then a bit easier still. It was a freeing experience to finally get rid of things we didn’t even know were weighing us down. I was concerned that I would regret giving some things away, but 4 months later, those items haven’t entered my mind. I actually can’t even remember what we gave away!! I guess that’s a good sign that they weren’t necessities.

Well, I did think about one donation actually – my juicer! Even though my juicer was looking busted from plenty of use, I still debated whether I would regret giving it away. And I’ll admit, a few times this summer it has longingly crossed my mind. Then I remember my kitchen storage situation – and I’m thankful I don’t have to find a place to cram it.

The one thing I do not want to ever part with is my blender. I use my Vitamix every.single.day. without fail, sometimes multiple times a day if I’m testing certain recipes. They are costly machines, but when I factor in how much I use it, the quality, and the 7 year warranty, it’s worth it for me. I even use it in the colder months – it’s great for blending soups and sauces (think Butternut Squash mac and cheeze) and I still like to get my smoothie fix in the winter, bundled up in a sweater of course.

IMG_2974

Recently, I heard about making juices with a Vitamix. You blend vegetables in the Vitamix and then strain the liquid through an old pair of tights, nut milk bag, or cheesecloth. This strains out the fibre from the juice, much like a traditional juicer would (Ange has a great tutorial here).

The one thing I never liked about juicing was all the leftover pulp. I would sometimes use it in soups or my vegetable garden compost, but there were many times when I couldn’t find a use for it. I like the idea of using a Vitamix to juice, but to be honest, I can’t see myself patient enough to strain the juice each time and then find a use for the pulp. I decided to just try it without straining to see if it was decent enough to enjoy.

IMG_2963

Surprisingly, it was decent! And I got hooked on adding all kinds of veggies into the blender. My vegetable consumption has gone way up by adding one of these drinks in a day and I love that I’m still getting all the fibre. It’s hotly debated right now whether smoothies or juices are better for the body, but I think both have their place in a healthy diet.

I wouldn’t recommend this recipe without a heavy duty blender, but if you do attempt it, I suggest blending it on the highest setting for at least a couple minutes. Keep in mind that even with my Vitamix, the texture is still thick (the best way to describe the texture is “foamy”) – keep in mind we’re blending whole veggies and fruit. If your blender can’t get the vegetables smooth, I suggest straining it through a cheesecloth.

I’ve been making all kinds of veggie combos, but here is an easy one to get started with. It’s lightly sweetened with an apple and has a kick of grapefruit in there for a little zing. The bright pink colour is so gorgeous it’s hard to believe it’s all from 1/2 a tiny beet.

IMG_2814-2

Neon Pink Smoothie Juice

I call this smoothie juice because it’s a cross between a smoothie and a veggie juice. The texture comes out thick and foamy, but you have the added benefits of the fibre in there to move the digestive track right along. These juices aren’t overly sweet or filling, so I enjoy them as an addition to a normal breakfast or simply as a refreshing drink on its own.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 2.5 cups

Ingredients:

• 1/2 English cucumber, peeled & roughly chopped
  • 1/2 small raw beet, peeled & roughly chopped
  • 1 apple, cored & roughly chopped
  • Fresh Grapefruit juice, to taste (I used 6 tbsp fresh grapefruit juice) or other citrus to taste
  • 3-5 ice cubes

1. In a high-speed blender, add the cucumber and blend on low speed to break it up. Now add the beet and apple. Blend, starting on a lower speed, and gradually increase the speed. I used my Vitamix plunger stick a lot to push it down and stir it as it was coming together. If needed, add a bit of water.

2. Blend on highest speed for 1-2 minutes. Add in citrus juice to taste and about 4 ice cubes. Blend again until smooth.

3. Serve immediately.

20120731_124720

I also make green/brown ones using various things like kale, cucumbers, avocado, celery, carrots, oranges, apples, etc. I add in some water if needed to get it going. Sometimes I also throw in a tablespoon of chia seeds for extra nutrition.

They don’t always taste amazing, but they sure are quick and make me feel great.

Page 2 of 2«12
Britt @Better Living XoXo August 2, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Mmmmm….I love smoothies! And this definitely looks like one delicious smoothie!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt August 2, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I love the color of this juice! I have a Vitamix, but I’ve never used it to make juice. I’ll have to try it. :) And I agree, I used to think that Vitamix machines were overpriced and overrated…until I got one. Now I think that t was worth every penny!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 2, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I love beets! Can’t wait to try this juice :)

Wynne August 2, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I’ve just started juicing in the blender, too. I got a Blendtec (on your recommendation) and two turns on the “whole juice” cycle smooths out even kale and broccoli stems for drinking unfiltered. I can’t wait to try this beautiful recipe–beets + grapefruit? Wow.

[email protected] August 2, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Angela….I just add extra water to the Vitamix to make whatever is in there more like a juice (as opposed to a smoothie). I would NEVER bother with a cheesecloth or old tights. When you combine fruit and veggies in the Vitamix, it tastes great no matter what the consistency. I agree with you that there is a rightful place for both juices and smoothies with fiber. It’s all good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Good point about just adding more water!

Jessica August 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Beautiful photos! I absolutely love it when you blog about de-cluttering, it always inspires me to clean out my apartment and get rid of unused items that are taking up space. I wish I had a Vita-mixer, but until them I’ll day-dream about one and drink my fruit/veggie smoothies from my Magic Bullet. :)

Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) August 2, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I am all for de-cluttering, it’s kinda one of my mottos, so I was excited to read about your experience, too! I just wanted to make a comment about making juice in a high-speed blender and that is that I have heard that it is not ideal because the heat from the blades can damage the enzymes in the juice. They make vertical, space-saving juicers now in case you have a little bit of extra counter space. Just sayin’. Christmas present? :)

[email protected] High Knoll Homestead August 2, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Thanks so much for posting this VitaMix recipe. I recently bought one and am just starting to tap the potential. Hope you post more recipes for the VitaMix!

Peta August 2, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Hoping for some advice. Strongly considering a vitamix but am hesitating regarding how much I will use it vs cost. I don’t drink smoothies or juices much at all. I’m mostly attracted to it for the soups, batters, ice-creams, scrambed eggs and grinding options. Do you know if there are limitations on what it can grind? Do you reckon it could grind quinoa to make quinoa flour? Is it really useful for chopping ingredients eg onions and carrots for use in non-blended recipes?

I have a blender but don’t use it much cos the results are disappointing (possibly cos I’m scared of overheating it) and it’s horrible to clean. Is the vitamix really as easy to clean as they say?

Finally I’m scared that I’ll find it difficult to know what settings to use if I am making up my own recipe. I don’t want to be stuck limited to just the recipes published online or sight variations. Do you think that is a valid concern with the vitamix?

Sorry to bombard you with this but I’m really hopeful you can help me :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2012 at 7:48 am

Hey Peta,
I would suggest getting a trial offer. I think my sister bought one from Costco when they came to town (they do Vitamix tours) and there is a certain amount of time that you can try it out. If you dont use it, you can take it back. Worth looking into, especially if you are uncertain. I don’t want to sway you one way or another because it’s a big purchase.
As for settings, the Vitamix only has one on/off switch, speed dial, and a turbo switch, if I remember correctly. Its very simple to use.

Peta August 3, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thanks Angela. Sadly I am in Australia so I won’t have access to any trial offers. Luckily for me though there are plenty of blogs and communities that discuss the vitamix so hopefully I can collect a good range of opinions to help with my decision.

Have a great day

Emma McCulloch August 3, 2012 at 3:21 am

What else could work for colour? Can’t have beets, they turn me into a gas powered ‘Billy-No-Mates’ within 30 mins of eating them! Eeek!

Maybe really, really ripe plums might work….. <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2012 at 7:44 am

hmm..strawberries, raspberries, or red pepper?
I dont think anything can mimic the intensity of beets, but they might give you a nice colour anyways!

Duck August 3, 2012 at 3:22 am

The colour is so vibrant! I’m sure my lips and teeth would look fabulous after a glass of that…

Natalcho @ Tomatoes Rock August 3, 2012 at 6:20 am

When I first got my Vitamix I just put a lot of carrots in and started blending. Obviously the mixture was very dense so I just kept adding water and ended up with a brithly orange carrot “juice” – I loved it!

Since getting the Vita I really don’t throw any veggies/fruits anymore – I just put everything in and mix with a bit of water. No waste!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 3, 2012 at 6:41 am

I love that your smoothie juice still has all the fibre in it! It seems like such a shame to throw out all the nutritious pulp when juicing!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 3, 2012 at 8:08 am

Smoothie juice, what a fun name! I usually just call it whole food juice, but that’s not nearly as creative.

It’s so challenging to stage a home, de-clutter your life, and choose the pieces that you want to take with you. I know all too well what you’re talking about. In the end though, as long as we’re with the ones we love, the rest will just fall into place!

Suz @ avocadoandbasil August 3, 2012 at 9:06 am

Love the colour! Just wish I had a blender powerful enough to cope with beetroot. Love the new blog layout too!

Lauren August 3, 2012 at 11:27 am

I love your kitchen! I think I painted my kitchen a similar color, strangely enough, but, alas, I do not have your beautiful cabinets and countertops. You pretty much have my dream house! I’m unable to be in a house with carpet, due to allergies, so the wood/tile combination is what we hope to install in out next home. Beautiful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Thank you Lauren. Sadly, that was my old kitchen in the house that we sold earlier in the year! I wish I had it back…but onward and upward! heh

Rachel August 3, 2012 at 11:59 am

WOW! That color is amazing! I’ve never tried anything other than spinach and kale in my smoothies lol

Heather August 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I love your home! It is so lovely! I had to part ways with my precious Breville Juicer last year because I had to sell it for some quick cash, and totally regretted it, until I started using my blender to make juice. Now, I do it every morning with my blender, plus, I don’t even use a cheesecloth! I used brand new cloth rags that I bought, and simply lay one over a glass and create a well with the cloth inside the top of the glass, pour in the juice of whatever I blended, and the pulp stays in the cloth while the juice soaks through into the cup. Then, I gather up the edges of the cloth, and just squeeze like a nutmilk bag to strain out the rest of the liquid. I throw away the pulp and have juice, and no mess to clean up. I always hated cleaning all the parts to my juicer. Now, I just have to worry about wringing the cloth rag out, and it’s actually quicker than cleaning the juicer. I’d love to have another juicer someday, but for now, I love this quick and easy method!:)

Bek @ Crave August 3, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I want a vita-mix! So exxy- hmm one day :)

Melissa August 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm

After over 2 years of longing for a Vitamix to call my own, I finally ordered one last night! Can’t wait for it to get here so I try this recipe for myself!

Sherlock August 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Wow! Gorgeous home!

Tanya August 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

We just moved too….bought our very first house! The kitchen is very nice and new, but not a ton of storage space. Still, I couldn’t part with my juicer or any of my other big appliances. I have my Vitamix on the counter because I also use it the most. This “juice” looks great…I’ve been contemplating taking the juicer out of its box, since I got some beets at the farmer’s market. But…perhaps I’ll make it this way instead :)

Laura August 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I’m running my first ‘smoothie’ bar this weekend and wasn’t quite sure about adding beets to the menu…after seeing that gorgeous colour I think it’s now a must!

@Antonia if you read this…. I have a Blendtec and I absolutely love it! It’s a little bit louder than I would like but it blends up pretty much anything you can think of perfectly. I’ve never tried the Vitamix so I can’t compare but I think you’ll be happy with either one. And don’t shy away from the refurbs- mine was one and it’s lasted forever!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner August 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

What a gorgeous juice! :)

allison August 8, 2012 at 10:17 am

made this today. oh my goodness :-) roasted the beats first to be kind to my inexpensive knock off majic bullet. this is so good. i was skeptical but that red grapefruit juice is soooo good in there :-)

Susan August 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Oh my goodness, the Neon Smoothie is so good. I used a granny smith apple so mine may be more tart but wow! I love it. I think I’ll make more and freeze it into pops. Yum! Thanks for a great recipe! PS: love your website!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2012 at 7:05 pm

So glad you like it!! Ive been rocking the beet smoothies allllll month.

Dalia August 18, 2012 at 7:14 am

This drink is amazing! So good! I’ll make it many more times and I think, with that awesome color, my girls will drink it. I love beets and never tried ingesting one raw but it still had the flavor that I love and I felt so much better having it raw.

Natalia January 23, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I loved this smoothie! I never thought of using beets, plus I never had them before. But now that I have tried them, I love them! Almost taste like baby corn to me.
My smoothie wasn’t as neon pink as yours but it was close and it was a very refreshing part of my breakfast with left over grapefruit. The only thing I altered was adding some stevia because I am a weakling when it comes to unsweetened smoothies :(
Thank you for your ideas!

water April 24, 2013 at 10:50 pm

It is actually a great and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Timothy June 16, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Great recipes! Beautiful colors! I made a vegan peach fruit smoothie that came out a bubble gum color! Check it out.

Kelly Caiazzo November 24, 2014 at 5:55 pm

You’ve got me hooked on beet smoothies! I made this and loved it, and then started making your other pink beet smoothie that has the celery in it, and adore both. They taste earthy and cleansing in the most refreshingly delicious way. I feel like I’m getting healthier just by drinking them! Thanks for the beet inspiration!

Jewel Chen December 24, 2014 at 11:40 am

Good Day, Merry Christmas!

I read the FAQs. But i would like to double check. I would like to have a facebook posting to share to my readers Neon Pink Smoothie Juice. Would totally be crediting the post with your blog link. Guess that is correct, right? (:

Sincerly
Jewel

Lata January 26, 2015 at 8:18 pm

I like your recipe and recommend eating greens,and drinking fruits and vegetable juice.

Sarah January 6, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Not a fan :(. My husband bought the ingredients for this shake when he wanted to make the other pink smoothie recipe from this site. We realized the error before we started to make it but thought we’d give it a go anyways…. My kids cried when they tried it. My husband and I drank it but didn’t enjoy it.

Susan McGee March 5, 2016 at 4:48 am

These juice recipes sounds amazing! Excited to give these very tasty sounding juices a try! Yum!! Thank you very much for sharing juice recipe.it’s very helpful for any juice lover people.

Angela Liddon March 10, 2016 at 9:25 am

Hi Susan, you’re very welcome! I hope you enjoy the recipes when you give them a try. :)

Zoey April 12, 2016 at 4:49 am

The neon pink smoothie is gorgeous :) I don’t have a blender yet, but this is one of the smoothie recipes that I’d like to try out once I get my hand on to a Vitamix blender :) Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

Sarah August 2, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Ohh, I think it’s very enticing. Although I have come across people that make smoothie using beetroot, myself have never tried it before. After reading your blog, I think I am finally going to give this a try. I bought juicer here http://juicer.guru/best-masticating-juicers-review so now I can try to make this juice. Also I’ve add to my cookbook.
Thank you!

Anna Kimbel December 14, 2016 at 5:55 pm

The color of this juice is amazing, I don’t know how you did it but thats fantastic..

I understand how you feel about not being able to part way with your juicer.. I would never part way with it :D

Nicholas February 14, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Love the color! Can’t wait to taste this juice :)