Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles + Blog News

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 25, 2012

IMG_2626-2

Last weekend, as I was making banana soft serve, the idea struck me to use it as a base for a popsicle. Instead of a typical icy, fruit-based popsicle, I wanted a popsicle with an ice-cream like taste and texture. A bit similar to these fruity popsicles, but more ice cream like. I figured banana soft serve could do the trick while being less costly than all-natural popsicles from the grocery store.

And, tell me, what goes better with banana than peanut butter and jam?

IMG_2637

A little planning ahead will do you well with this recipe because you’ll need 4 peeled and frozen bananas to kick things off. For some reason, I seemed to be hoarding frozen bananas in the freezer last week, so I had them ready to go! Who am I kidding, I’m always hoarding bananas. Don’t worry if the frozen bananas are covered in ice crystals; it’ll all come out in the wash.

Roughly chop the frozen bananas and whirl in the food processor along with 3-4 tbsp of almond milk. Once it starts to get creamy (you’ll have to scrape the bowl down every now and then), add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and process until smooth.

Now we have amaaaazing peanut butter banana soft serve. You might think to yourself it doesn’t get much better than this

IMG_2624-2

Oh but it does.

Now remove the bowl from the base of the processor and stir in 3 tbsp of your favourite jam and another tablespoon of peanut butter. You want to leave it nice and chunky, with thick ribbon-like swirls throughout.

IMG_2629-2

Try to stop yourself from planting your face in the bowl. It’s difficult.

Scoop into popsicle molds, sneaking spoonfuls here and there.

IMG_2634

Now, here is the tricky part. These take a long time to freeze & set. I would say about 6-8 hours or longer. It might as well have been a week as far as my impatient self was concerned.  I suggest leaving them overnight in the freezer if you can. Your sanity will thank you for it.

Don’t worry though, the clean up is fun!

IMG_2632-2

Here’s the thing. These are probably the homeliest, sad lookin’ popsicles I’ve ever laid eyes on, but they are also some of the best popsicles I’ve tried. It’s like PB & J & B ice cream, without the dairy. A banana split in popsicle form.

Maybe they aren’t the best looking popsicles I’ve come across, but I can promise you won’t be able to stop at just one.

IMG_2648c

Peanut Butter, Jam, & Banana Soft Serve Popsicles

These are soft, ice cream like popsicles with swirls of PB and jam throughout. For a fun twist, try stirring in some shaved chocolate. When freezing, shaved chocolate is nice because you don’t have to bite into big frozen chocolate chips.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 6 small popsicles

Ingredients:

• 4 medium/large bananas, peeled and frozen
  • 3-4 tbsp almond milk
  • 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 3 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam, for swirling in
  • 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, for swirling in

1. In a food processor, add 4 roughly chopped frozen bananas along with a few tablespoons of almond milk. Whirl in the processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

2. Now add in two tablespoons of peanut butter and process again until combined & smooth.

3. Remove bowl from base and stir in the jam and another tablespoon of peanut butter, leaving thick ribbons of jam and PB throughout the soft serve. Do not overmix.

4. Spoon the soft serve into popsicle molds (it made enough for 6 small popsicles for me, however this will vary based on the size of your molds). Push the mixture all the way to the bottom with the end of a spoon. Freeze for at least 6-8 hours, or overnight. Run hot water over the mold to help the popsicle slide out. I found they were a bit difficult to get out of the mold, but I’m not sure if that was due to my strange shaped popsicle mold or simply the consistency of the popsicle.

For nutritional info, see here.

IMG_2627-2

and some blog news to share…

Eric and I have been working behind the scenes on some exciting blog stuff that I’m really excited to share with you! One of the changes I’m excited about is a new categorization system. My recipes will soon be completely searchable via a new menu system directly from my home page. You will be able to search easily by dietary preferences (gluten-free, soy-free, etc), season, type of dish (appetizer, entrée, dessert, etc), and much more. This is something I’ve wanted to do for years now and I hope it makes your life easier. My other blog topics, such as fitness and my various writing posts, will also be categorized in various ways so they are much easier to locate.

Needless to say, this has been a huge undertaking as it’s involved going through every single blog post over the last (almost) 4 years and re-categorizing everything with a fine tooth comb. Eric has been working his magic on a few other design related things (involving lots of coding that I know nothing about) and you will be seeing those changes soon too. I don’t know what I’d do without this guy. He’s a smart cookie! He also decided to DRAW a picture of me on the sidebar so every time I see the new homepage I die laughing. I’ll have to get a screenshot of it to show you so you know what I mean. Anyway, there won’t be any major changes right now – in fact you might not even notice some of them – but the blog will look a bit fresher and easier to navigate. That is the goal.

There are other things going on too – we’re working on an entirely new website. Unfortunately, it’s going to be a long time in the works, so more on that at a later date!

Page 3 of 3«123
Khadijah July 26, 2012 at 12:37 pm

This soft-serve looks AMAZING! I would never be able to get them to the popsicle molds before I ate it all!

Samantha July 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hi Angela!

Just wondering if a food processor is necessary for this recipe? I recently purchased a vitamix and juicer (Whoop! Aeroplan points!) and am hesitant to spend more on a processor! Let me know if you have any tips :)

Thanks!!

-Sam

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

Hey Samantha, I think I’ve heard that it won’t work in a blender, but I haven’t personally tried it out myself. Goodluck if you try it out!

Helene July 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm

What a treat for a nice, warm summer day!

Lisa @ the raw serenity July 26, 2012 at 3:31 pm

You amaze me!
These look and sound so damn good!
Naww Eric is such a good hubby! He doesn’t have a brother living in Australia does he ;)

meg July 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm

This look so yummy! I wish I could eat bananas, but I can’t. They upset my stomach. I wonder if I could make soft serve with frozen avocado. Have you tried freezing avocado before? I’m little skeptical about it… would freezing it change the texture of avocado? Any thoughts on this?

olivia July 26, 2012 at 10:14 pm

i just made this recipe. so simple but SO amazing. i have a huge bag of flax seed meal in my fridge that i need to use so i threw in almost 1/2 c. of it. didn’t change the texture or taste much at all. added about 1/3 c more of coconut milk (instead of almond milk) just to make up for the thickness of the flax. i can see putting this in the cuisinart ice cream maker but i did the popsicle mold route this time. so sweet and filling. i plan to have one for breakfast!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

Wow who knew you could add in ground flax into popsicles? I love it!

Sharon July 27, 2012 at 12:58 am

YUM, what a clever idea! Thank you so much for coming up with yummy, simple, healthy, exciting things to eat. And I LOVE Crofter’s spreads, they are the BEST! The “Asia” Superfruit flavor tastes like pie filling to me, and I love the all-fruit blackberry and blueberry too. :)

Mrs.CJ July 27, 2012 at 5:56 am

You had me at peanut butter! Going to freeze some bananas now! :)

greenthyme July 27, 2012 at 7:24 am

Haha your homely popsicle looks delicious!! :)

Sara July 27, 2012 at 8:36 am

I just stared at that first picture for like five minutes, drooling all over my keyboard. How did we ever survive before banana soft serve? These look AWESOME! You’re a genius. (True story.)

sweetsmartsexyvegan July 27, 2012 at 8:44 am

Great Idea. I played around with banana soft serve last night and came up with an amazing WHEAT GRASS BANANA SOFT SERVE recipe. It tasted amazing and the nutritional benefits are unbelievable. Check it out: http://sweetsmartsexyvegan.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/what-to-do-with-all-my-wheat-grass/

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama July 27, 2012 at 11:49 am

Amazing recipe! I am going to have to make these for Little Man! He will love them!
And congratulations on the blog news – it’s such a project but so fun to revamp!
XxOo
Tasha

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama July 27, 2012 at 11:55 am

PS – I am including this recipe on my Sharing the Love post on Sunday – <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Tasha, I look forward to your post!

Lindsay July 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm

My girls (6 and 4) and I just made these and they are AMAZING!!! We used our own homemade almond butter, frozen strawberries, almond milk, chia seeds, and unfrozen bananas. We made way more than our molds could hold so we drank the leftovers as smoothies ;)

Moni Meals July 28, 2012 at 9:30 am

I am going to try my version if these this weekend! Brilliant to try soft serve as a Popsicle! I know what it is like in regards to your blog, hang tight! It will be worth it. ;) thanks for a great recipe again and clever approach. :)

lisa July 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

My son and I made the banana-peanut butter soft serve yesterday and ate it right up! Delicious! We’re gradually weaning animal products from out diet and recipies like these make it much easier!

Jessica July 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

YUM!! Its amazing any of the batter made it into the popsicle mold! I could have eaten the whole bowl! Apparently I have gone far to long in life without having tried banana soft serve. I think I’m going to need a bigger food processor though as I almost burned out the motor on my baby one trying to chop up all the bananas.

Lindsey July 30, 2012 at 8:16 pm

okay, so i don’t know what happened, but I made the soft serve, tried my best not to eat it, and put what did survive into molds….but they wouldn’t come out of the molds once frozen.. :(
I even thawed them a bit but all that happened was that the sticks/handles slid out of them… again :( …but then!! i made it as a soft serve and what-do-you-know! AMAZING!! i heart you! so freeeeaaaakkkkin’ yummy! knock your socks off!! Im going to try it next with my flourless vegan peanut butter cookie dough (gasp) rolled into tiny balls and then swirl in some vegan soft caramel (oh lord)

You, my friend, are a genius. Ice cream was the one thing that i was having a hard time with…this is a lifesaver. And if you use not so ripe ones, you can even taste the ‘naner! and the consistency is amazing! Thank you so much for this recipe (and all of them of course, but this one….ohh you’ve outdone yourself)

Lyd July 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Hello!
These look amazing and I was wondering if you know whether or not they’d work in the Zoku Popsicle maker?
Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012 at 7:43 am

Hi Lyd, I’m not sure, I haven’t heard of that before. Best of luck!

Mary July 31, 2012 at 6:56 am

Wow, loving the creativity and those look awesome :)

Sydney August 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Wow, this looks amazing! I think I’d have to make it and just eat it out of a bowl :)

Sarah August 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Just made these. I loved them (plus the licking of the bowl was awesome!).

Foodforthoughtlinds August 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I just combined this recipe with your green monster smoothie and made chocolate banana spinach soft serve. My 2 year old son LOVES this and uses chia seed as “sprinkles”. Hope you won’t mind that I shared this idea on my own blog:

Timmy August 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Could I use almond butter instead of peanut butter?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2012 at 6:46 am

I cant see why not, although the flavour will change of course. Let me know if you try it out!

Tara Lidell September 30, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Hi really enjoy the blog too and love that you include the recipes! I’m going to try this one later this week!! Tara Lidell

Mary November 12, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Oh…I can see you are going to be my “go to gal” for all things tasty! My little granddaughter will love these! Already have the frozen bananas work’n in the freezer!

Kristin May 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm

My kids and I are very allergic to bananas, {hiss boo! I know, I LOVE bananas} but now im a llergic, what can I use instead?

Victoria March 17, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Hi everyone. I’m catering for vegan family weekends this weekend. I enjoy the challenge and as it is a party, I would like it if what I made for them appealed to everybody else too. These look perfect! However, can you tell me before I start freezing millions of bananas, would this dessert still work if served in smart little ramekins? Is it the right sort of consistency to be eaten with a spoon? Thank you in advance for your help! Xx

phelipe November 4, 2014 at 1:41 am

Delicious receipe.! I tried it and posted the comment. Give me with some more recipes.

Felipe January 5, 2015 at 1:40 am

he delicious Flavour . I tried and tasted .. superb

Lolly May 3, 2015 at 1:53 am

Look. Yours photo: http://kuchennelasuchowanie.blogspot.com/2015/05/lody-bananowe-z-pb-v.html

Alex April 20, 2016 at 12:11 pm

is there a way to make the basic banana soft serve with a different fruit besides bananas? or does the texture just not turn out? i was looking at making your chia pudding with banana soft serve but was hoping to try a use a different flavor soft serve

Angela Liddon April 21, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Hi Alex, You can definitely try different frozen fruits and then sweeten them to taste with something like maple syrup. I have a couple really good soft serve recipes using different fruit in my next book!

imgrum October 5, 2017 at 4:54 am

Hope my blender could beat this challenge. I wanna try this recipe! Thank you for sharing!!

Jill Roberts @ WellnessGeeky December 21, 2017 at 7:36 pm

It looked soooo good, I had to try and make peanut butter jam banana. I used your suggestion and used 3-4 tbsp almond milk. Thx for sharing!

Bella Hardy June 21, 2018 at 4:26 am

Absolutely love your creative idea with peanut butter jam banana! Never seen something like this! Definitely, I will try to make it too! Thx for sharing!