The June Salad Challenge! Plus, 6 Scrumptious Salad Recipes to Kick it Off.

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 28, 2012

IMG_5549

It’s been a while since I’ve done a challenge on the blog and as I mentioned last week I’ve had an idea cooking in my mind for a while now. In spirit of some friendly inspiration and accountability, I’m challenging myself and all of you lovely readers to enjoy one salad each and every day for the month of June.

I have a tendency to fall off the salad bandwagon, so this challenge is an effort to bring salads back into my life and amp up the veggies in my diet as summer approaches. And I hope you will be on board too! If you already do enjoy a salad each day, I challenge you to mix up your go-to salads using new ingredients, toppings, and dressings all month long.

The challenge kicks off on Friday June 1st, but I’m giving you a few days notice in case you want to prepare. Or start today! Fill the crisper. Hit up the farmer’s market. Sharpen your knives. And prepare yourself for renewed energy during the last month of spring.

Below are 6 reader favourite salads to get you started. I will be posting 5 other salad recipes shortly and hopefully a recap of my favourite easy homemade dressings for those of us who want to ditch the bottled stuff and try something new. A new salad recipe will also be featured on the blog each week during the challenge.

1) The Detox Salad

IMG_2320

If you want to feel energized and balanced, this is the salad to start off with! It’s inspired by the Detox Salad at Whole Foods. I love it drizzled with a touch of maple syrup and sprinkle of cinnamon just before serving. You will never look at raw broccoli and cauliflower the same way again…trust me on this one.

2) Spring Salad with Strawberry Basil Lemon Dressing

IMG_9518 IMG_9513

A pretty salad to honour spring and use up all of those fresh strawberries! The dressing is made up of strawberries and basil, along with fresh lemon juice, a touch of olive oil, pure maple syrup, fine grain sea salt, & black pepper. It’s healthy and light, yet creamy and indulgent tasting. Pour it on top of mixed greens, chopped strawberries, and toasted coconut and slivered almonds for a healthy yet “fancy” salad.

3) Long Weekend Grilled Salad

IMG_1380-2_thumb

Mmm…one of my favs! Light, fresh, filling, and easy to throw together for any long weekend gathering. The fresh corn lends a light sweetness to the zesty lime dressing. A generous dusting of salt and pepper before serving really makes everything come together. You can also make this the day before and let the flavours develop overnight in the fridge. Just throw it into a container and you’re good to go!

4) Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

IMG_9501

Extremely light, fresh, and packed with protein and healthy fats, this tangy cilantro and lime salad will have you dreaming of Summer.

5) Layered Salad with Orange-Ginger Dressing

IMG_7494

Just like the Whole Foods layered salad, but now made in the comfort of your own home. With some advance prep work, you can enjoy this salad all week long. You can also layer it in a big glass bowl for a party or BBQ, or even quicker, just mix it all up together and pour on the dressing!

6) High Protein Almond Quinoa Berry Salad

IMG_7655-2

Use this fun fruit salad as a side dish, breakfast, or even dessert! Strawberries, blueberries, cherries, almonds, and fluffy quinoa are mixed with a lovely maple-balsamic-lime dressing. This would make a great fruit salad to bring to a summer BBQ or gathering too.

Want to join me in this challenge?

There are many different ways you can participate…

– Leave a comment below and commit to the salad challenge! woot woot

– Blog about the challenge and post pics & recipes of your salads throughout the month of June.

– Tweet, Pin, and/or Instagram your salad creations using the hashtag: #saladaday

Page 7 of 7« First...«34567
Saguna June 1, 2012 at 8:36 am

Here’s my first June #saladaday -http://fictionsfactsfractiousness.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/strawberry-watermelon-spinach-salad.html Thanks for the awesome motivation and idea, Angela!

katie June 1, 2012 at 8:39 am

i am in and i am excited.
thanks, katie

erin @ blue yurt farms June 1, 2012 at 11:36 am

Love the idea — and can’t wait to try new salads. We eat one nearly every day, but it’s generally the same sort of recipe — lettuce + red onion + cheese + homemade dressing. Just created a new salad pin board to stay inspired (http://pinterest.com/blueyurtfarms/salads-salads-more-salads)!

Amy Ramos June 1, 2012 at 11:55 am

I am so glad I found this! This sounds like a fabulous challenge and I will do my best to do it.

Tamara June 1, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I’m in. thanks girl!

xox
T

Sylvie June 1, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I’m so in! I already fed my meat-loving dh your red quinoa salad and he loved it! That’s all he stuffed back all night. He even went for more information stead of his late night chips/nuts/cookie munchies.

Nicole June 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Loving this idea! These salads all look amazing, although I was wondering if you had any idea as to what I could use rather then all the olive oil in the dressings. I am trying to stay away from oils…

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012 at 8:56 am

Pureed avocado perhaps? Im not saying it would work with every flavour though…

Miranda Eddy June 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm

started the day off with the detox salad!! yum! had some chickpeas and quinoa on the side! yum! even my kids ate it!

Nancy June 2, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I usually do eat a salad a day, but this will keep me on track and help me discover new ones :) Great idea!

Carol June 3, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Made the detox salad tonight for dinner. My hubby loved it and had seconds:)

RC @ Just Add Cayenne June 4, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I love this “challenge”! I put it in quotes b/c I have salads everyday anyway, but they could be more creative. Today’s salad was a spring mix with steamed Brussels Sprouts, beets, broccoli, and beans (that’s a lot of B’s!) and I used a thick veggie lentil puree mixed with balsamic for the dressing.

kristle June 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

i just wanted to say thanks for introducing the salad challenge idea to me. i’ve only tried one of these so far, but i’ve been making an effort to include more colors and healthy toppings onto my daily salad. recently tried sprouts and pea shoots for the first time :)

Kathy June 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I can’t believe the month of salads is coming to a close. This was so much fun! My husband didn’t think we could do it and still keep it interesting – but he has been hooked too. We have tried so many new salads. I’ll definitely keep it going into July – thanks for the great idea!

Karen April 30, 2015 at 10:14 am

Excited to try the 6 Scrumptious Salads. I just printed out all Six!! Thank you for all your hard work!! Have to be careful not to overdo my shopping, seems like I am at the grocery store everyday, I have a very small pantry! I may even have a lot of the ingredients at home.. have to take inventory…first.