Living & Dining Room: Before and After Pictures

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 27, 2012

IMG_8432

As promised our furniture arrived on Friday…it was quite the exciting day.

This is the first living/dining furniture that Eric and I have purchased new in the 12 years that we’ve been together; everything else we had was a hand me down from family or bought on Craigslist. Exciting indeed. Oddly enough, all the furniture we got rid of in this last move went back to our family, friends, and neighbours (and friend’s neighbours).

Dave and Ewa gave us a bunch of their furniture when we moved into our old house, including a couch. Now it looks like we’re going to give them our current brown sectional couch since it’s too big for our current living area.

It’s the furniture that keeps on giving.

As I mentioned, we ordered from Heritage Furniture in Burlington – a local family owned and operated business. I believe Dave and Ewa were the ones who told us about this place after we drooled over their new furniture a few years ago. One of the sons of Heritage, Shawn (not sure on spelling), told us that he started working there when he was just 8 years old and he’s now in his forties! The service is friendly (not pushy, which is something that puts us off in some furniture stores) and down to earth. Shawn also offered to help Eric and I with antiquing our wood photography boards…you know, in his “down time”. How’s that for nice?

By the way, I don’t get any sort of discount for saying that (nor on any reviews, unless otherwise stated). I just truly love this place.

IMG_8405

The furniture is also excellent quality – Canadian made from recycled and reclaimed wood. No particle board is used.

And my oh my, does it ever smell good.

The furniture’s arrival also meant that we could finally unpack the rest of the boxes on the main level and hang artwork & mirrors.

IMG_8437

Sketchie was clearly overjoyed that we were disturbing his space yet again.

We bought the smallest table they had in this collection (I think it’s the “Irish Collection”) and it expands if necessary. I actually think it’s the perfect size and not small by any means.

IMG_8440

We picked the “Jamaican Sunset” stain, which has a warm antique and rustic look to it.

IMG_8409

IMG_8410

Instead of getting matching chairs, we opted for antiqued black chairs for contrast and to pull from the black in the table.

IMG_8411

I love to watch home shows on TV and one thing the experts say over and over is that you can create “mini rooms” or “areas” even if it’s one open room. We decided to put the “dining area” on the far side of the room, since I would be using the table for photography and there is a ton of natural, glorious light on both sides.

IMG_8555

This is the wine cabinet, located right across from the dining table. I’ve never owned a cabinet and I have to say it’s one of the best things to happen to my life since Green Monsters.

The wine boxes are removable, so we moved them on top to free up some cabinet space.

IMG_8404

The bottom cabinet holds my photography dishes:

IMG_8424

and on the top shelves, other dishes I wanted to display as well as my cookbook collection.

IMG_8431

Unfortunately I packed my cookbook box way too heavy because I hurt my knee trying to lift it. You know the saying, lift with your knees (or is it lift with your legs?) Yea, I think I took that too literally. I’m not sure what I did, but I felt a sharp pain on the inner right knee.

I’m currently resting and icing it, hoping that it will get better before my races start up again in a couple weeks. I don’t think I tore anything, but it’s a dull ache that goes on and off throughout the day. I hope with rest it heals up or I may have to pay a visit to my sports doctor. As for me, no running until the knee feels back to normal. Not the best news, but there is no sense worrying about something out of my control.

Anyways, I absolutely adore my cookbooks, even if they do hurt me! Just seeing them on the shelf makes me so happy.

IMG_8422  IMG_8429

Eric also hung the dish display next to the cabinet (from Pier 1 last year). I might finish off the area with a small circular rug in between the cabinet and table, but I’ll have to see.

IMG_2820

Now onto the living area!

IMG_8467

One tip I picked up is to create spaces by using area rugs to define the boundaries of the room. It works quite nicely as a “frame” for the space.

The coffee table has a lot of storage with two long drawers and space underneath. It’s all about the extra storage with furniture.

IMG_2774

Eric is storing all kinds of manly things in the TV cabinet. I think I saw shot glasses and a bottle of tequila in there already…no joke. We still have to set up our old family room TV. This one here will be going upstairs probably.

IMG_8466

All together:

IMG_2817

I’m still rocking green for the accent colour!

More artwork to fill up the plain walls.

IMG_2818

Our Ikea Hemnes Sofa Table is now in the office, where we will use it for storage.

IMG_2780

Before:

IMG_8258

After:

IMG_2814

Instead of feeling like a rental, it now feels like our home. While it’s different in many ways from our old house, change can be a good thing sometimes.

Someone else has also settled right in over the past few days. He now walks around like he owns the place!

IMG_2767

Well, I think my server may die if I post one more picture today, so the laundry, hallways, bedroom, and bathroom will have to wait. They will be coming up!

Oh, and recipes too..don’t you worry…

Page 3 of 3«123
Mary from Broookfield WI March 28, 2012 at 7:27 am

Love the touches of green – well done!! Is your sweet pussycat an Ocicat? So beautiful.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2012 at 7:54 am

Sketchie is a Bengal, thank you!

Ranelle March 28, 2012 at 7:31 am

Your home is coming along so well! Your new living space looks gorgeous. I’m jealous that you have more on your walls in 6 days than I do in the past 6 months of moving into my house! Guess I know what I should do this weekend…

By the way, I made your favorite homemade granola last night & it came out fantastic! I substituted the brown rice syrup for 1.5 tbsp of maple syrup and it clumped up very nicely. Next time I’ll probably do 2 tbsp, though, so it clumps up a bit more. The flavor was great & made my house smell amazing! Thanks for another great recipe :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2012 at 7:54 am

Glad to hear that granola turned out for you!

Drisana (SoulShineBlog) March 28, 2012 at 7:42 am

Your new furniture is beautiful! Love how you’ve set up the space!

Jennifer March 28, 2012 at 8:21 am

Your place looks fantastic!! You’ve gotten so far in a short time. And I love your new furniture…it’s beautiful and functional.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 28, 2012 at 8:25 am

Your home is gorgeous! I want to re-do my house to look as pretty as yours!

Sarah S. March 28, 2012 at 8:36 am

I think you did a wonderful job decorating! It looks very chic and cozy at the same time. I hope your knee will be better soon!

jenna March 28, 2012 at 9:07 am

i love your new furniture! gorgeous! That dining room table looks so home-y!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 28, 2012 at 10:04 am

looks great, you sure do have an eye for details

[email protected] March 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

The furniture is gorgeous. I will have to check out that store. I see you are a cookbook addict like me. I have never been injured by mine though. ;) I probably have used How it all Vegan most over the years. Do you have a favourite?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Oh gosh that is TOUGH to choose! I’ll have to think about that one :) I use Veganomicon, ED&BV, and Vegan Yum Yum a lot.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 28, 2012 at 11:53 am

Omg I love how this room turned out. You are quite the home decorator! Can’t wait to see the rest :)

Katy March 28, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Lovely livingroom!! I just moved too and am in the middle of decorating. It’s fun but stressful.

Colleen March 28, 2012 at 3:34 pm

The work you guys have done with the space is fantastic, like right out of a magazine!

Jen P. March 28, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Great job Angie! You really have an eye for interior design. I love the green accents. :)

Katrina March 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

So inspirational! Love it all! I checked out the furniture website and didn’t see any prices. We are long overdue for a new table and chairs (hand-me downs from 8 years ago!) and was just wondering their general price range to see if we should look at borrowing a truck for a trip down! Thanks!

anne March 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I really love your new place (even more than your old home)- the light is great and it’ll be much less maintenance! The white & green accents are so nice against the neutrals & wood. But I can’t help but feel that the sofa & media set should be switched with the dining area. But it looks amazing, and I know the fresh space will bring fresh inspiration to you :).

Emily March 29, 2012 at 1:33 am

Beautiful!
Can you hang plants in your livingroom? I know some landlords are picky about that stuff but those windows would be perfect for some lovely hanging vines, spider plants or even hanging herb gardens.
I’ve been addicted to researching ideas for urban gardening recently (being in Seattle with a cement lawn myself) and I know how much you loved your garden in your last house.

Nikkilooch March 29, 2012 at 1:57 am

Your new furniture is beautiful. I love the stain that y’all picked. It’s really coming together. We just moved recently and I hope to get some art on the walls this weekend. It makes such a big difference.

Stefanie March 29, 2012 at 5:46 am

Looks so cozy and welcoming, I could just come over and settle down! Haha, I’ve got the same green cushions on our couch, only that the couch is the color of sand.
Sketchie sure does look very wide-eyed on that one picture – how dare you mess up his space?? LOL

Mrs.CJ March 29, 2012 at 9:23 am

Love the furniture, you have great taste!

Angela April 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Was just thinking, I love your recipies so much. I am always making something you have on here. Today I was looking up different recipies for salad dressings and realized you don’t have a seperate course just for dressings. With all the different salads you make and all the different dressings, I think they are worthy of their own course ;-) – just a thought.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestion!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf April 2, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I love that you have your blog dishes stashed with the cookbooks! So clever!

Dr. Sunita Banerji April 13, 2012 at 4:46 am

The room looks transformed and spacious! The TV, Satellite and amp cables sticking out looks slightly discordant. Try hiding them or using an extension cable or something to that effect.

John March 1, 2013 at 1:25 am

Read your post with great interest. Your new furniture looks great however, the Irish coast collection although made from recycled wood is MADE IN CHINA, not Canada. Don’t feel that you are the only one that was misled, apparentely Heritage uses this misleading information often.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Hi John, I’m curious as to how you found this out? Thanks!

John March 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Hi Angela : We have friends that bought the same items, they were lead to believe the products were made in Canada. If you google “Irish Coast Furniture” you should find several importers that bring this furniture to Canada and the US. The furniture is ok with the usual cracking that is found in wood furniture from China.
Cheers : John

robyn t March 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful home! I love, love, love the canisters on the shelves! I’m totally stealing that idea for an odd wall in my tiny kitchen. Now, the really important thing…can you PLEASE tell me where you got the baskets that fit inside of the top of the IKEA sofa table? I am driving my OCD self nuts trying to find baskets that fit perfectly, lol.

Living Dining Room Ideas January 21, 2015 at 7:10 am

Good post. I absolutely love this site. Keep writing!