True Food Kitchen

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 27, 2012

On Tuesday, we had the pleasure of lunching at True Food Kitchen at the Biltmore Fashion Park in Phoenix. Many of you recommended it on the blog and on my Facebook page (thank you!), so we figured it was a safe bet. I later found out that the famous Dr. Andrew Weil (along with restaurateur Sam Fox) opened this first location of several, in 2008. The entire menu is based around Dr. Weil’s Anti-Inflammatory Diet and food pyramid with an emphasis on local and organic food whenever possible.

IMG_1807

The weather was gorgeous and sunny, so we opted to sit out on the large patio. A quick peek inside the restaurant revealed a huge interior absolutely packed at 1:30pm on a Tuesday. That’s always a good sign!

IMG_1764-2 IMG_1784

We soon deemed the weather beer worthy.

IMG_1776

I tried the organic Eel River Acai Berry Wheat Ale. Loved it. Light and fruity, but not overly so.

IMG_1773

For an appetizer, my mom and I shared the Shiitake and Tofu Lettuce Cups with Ginger, Cashew, and Garlic.

IMG_1792

The lettuce cups are filled primarily with cashews, teeny-tiny bits of tofu, and shredded carrot all coated in a lovely Teriyaki-like glaze. Very fun to roll up and make a huge mess!

IMG_1793

For my main, I ordered the Teriyaki Brown Rice Bowl with Asian vegetables, sesame, and avocado. I also added big chunks of tofu.

IMG_1801

Oh my gosh was this ever amazing. Easily, one of my favourite meals in a long time. It’s so simple, but not lacking in any way. I also loved the huge sliced avocado half on top. Not one single piece of rice was left behind.

Eric and John ordered the Turkey Burger with provolone, lettuce, tomato, avocado, mayo, on a flax seed bun. It came with sweet potato hash and a kale salad.

IMG_1796

They both gave it two thumbs up!

Mom ordered the Spaghetti Squash Casserole with mozzarella, organic tomato, and zucchini. She also really enjoyed it, but thought the cheese was a bit heavy.

IMG_1797

For dessert, Eric devoured the warm & pudding-like Flourless Chocolate Cake. No surprise there!

IMG_1802

My mom and I shared the Vegan Apple Crisp with Maple Ice Cream. John also had the apple crisp, but did not share with anyone. ;)

IMG_1804

Absolute perfection. The crispy, sweet crumble topping was the best part.

IMG_1805

I washed it down with a big glass of water when I realized that beer probably wasn’t the best idea before hiking a desert mountain!

IMG_1769

After lunch, Eric and I drove straight to Camelback Mountain to begin the hike of our lives, my dangly earrings and all.

All in all, it was a great experience at True Foods. The service was friendly and attentive, the atmosphere to die for, and the food fresh and satisfying. My only suggestion is that the restaurant adds more vegan options on their menu as there were only 2-3 vegan entrees indicated on their lunch menu.

As for that hike, my glutes and quads might recover some day. Just not today.

Tomorrow = Sedona and the promise of more hiking. Better rest up!

Page 3 of 3«123
Ally January 28, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Ok seriously…right now it is gloomy and snowing in Toronto. Do you know how jealous I am?? Unfair! :)

Docia January 29, 2012 at 3:49 am

Sounds like a relaxing afternoon out on the patio!

Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open January 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Those lettuce wraps look AHHH-Mazing!!

Weight Loss King January 29, 2012 at 3:11 pm

The Flourless Chocolate Cake actually made me salivate! :P

VeggieGirl January 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Oh WOW, what a wonderful place to eat! Im jealous, I wish I had one in my town! I’d love sweet potatoes and kale as a side rather than the average unhealthy fare, eating out could be good for you that way :) And the Acai beer looks almost healthy too ;)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles January 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Yummy looking food!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 29, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I must say the food looks sensational…but more than that your hair looks amazing!!!

lyndsay January 29, 2012 at 7:34 pm

i found the official true food recipe for the tofu lettuce cups!

the video — http://www.fitsugar.com/Vegetarian-Lettuce-Wraps-From-True-Food-Kitchen-Fight-PMS-18198248

and in print — http://www.fitsugar.com/Dr-Weils-Vegetarian-Lettuce-Wraps-From-True-Food-Kitchen-Fight-PMS-18199349

also, the recipe for the tuscan kale salad. my fave! http://www.truefoodkitchen.com/recipes/tuscan-kale-salad.php

enjoy :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm

awesome!!! Thanks Lyndsay I will check them out :)

Karen February 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

Aaaah, I feel ya – no worries, not a DOUBT you can create sum’in even BETTER your own self! ;D

Kelsey January 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I live in Phoenix and was just at True Food. Were we there at the same time? Glad you enjoyed your time in Arizona.

Karen Singer February 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Hi sweetie!! OMG, I HEART True Food Kitchen – I went there this past summer -yummy, and they were really nice, fun atmosphere – two enthusiastic thumbs up…oh and LOVE the kale salad there! Did you try it – It’s fabulous even w/o the parm. :) (I’m usually not a raw kale girl but whoooa – LOL xoxo Karen

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

No I didn’t get too since Eric’s had cheese on it…but it looked insanely good!

Jaima February 2, 2012 at 11:24 pm

This was the first place we went to eat brunch for our honeymoon the day we flew in. We absolutely loved it and wish they had them in Florida.

Hollyrock February 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Yea! I am so glad you were able to visit True Food. It is an awesome place to eat. Thanks for coming to Arizona.