Workout Log Oct 28-Nov 3rd

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 6, 2011

nike-run

Good afternoon!

I thought I’d give a little update on how my Workout Log Challenge is going so far.  I mentioned last week that I was struggling with motivation and this log seems to be renewing my enthusiasm for exercise. I don’t plan on doing it forever, but for right now it’s giving me the bit of edge that I was looking for.

I’ve been sticking to my plan for the most part, with a couple minor hiccups here and there. The log only takes a couple minutes each day and I find it helps me get excited about exercise, especially when I read the weekly recap over.

The week looked like this:

• Friday Oct 28th: hot yoga
  • Saturday Oct 29th: Treadmill hill workout
  • Sunday Oct 30th: OFF day
  • Monday Oct 31st: Spin class
  • Tuesday Nov 1st: OFF day. Skipped planned workout…just wasn’t feeling it!
  • Wed Nov 2nd: Body Pump weight class
  • Thursday Nov 3rd: Hot yoga

Week summary: 2 yoga classes, 1 spin class, 1 weight class, and a treadmill workout

I’d say it was pretty balanced and fun! I love the variety and the 2 rest days allowed my body time to heal in between workouts.

You can try to read my chicken scratch in the workout log below if you’d like…or not…

workoutlog_1

Don’t worry that made absolutely no sense to me either.

Some of you asked me what my treadmill hill workouts look like so I thought I would show you an example of what I do. I’ve been doing these treadmill hill workouts for at least 5 years now and I find them to be the most challenging workout that I do on cardio equipment, even more than running on the treadmill.

What I love about hill workouts: The intervals make the time fly by (it’s the only way I will workout on a treadmill!)

What I hate about hill workouts: The hills.

It’s complicated. ;)

A typical 45 minute treadmill hill workout for me looks like:

• 5 min walking warm-up, speed 4 mph, incline 2%
  • 5 min running at speed 6.5 mph, incline 5%
  • 5 min walking at speed 4.2 mph, incline 13%
  • Alternate running and walking intervals until I hit 40 mins.
  • 5 min walking cool down at speed 3.5 mph, incline 2%
  • Water breaks as necessary!!

This varies greatly depending on my energy levels and whatnot, but I like to keep it mixed up and as challenging as possible. I worked up to this intensity after a lot of training, so if you are starting out I suggest going at the pace and incline that works for YOU and you can’t go wrong. Also, when I don’t want to run I just do walking intervals at different speeds and inclines. This hill workout always leaves me covered in sweat and filled with endorphins!

Page 2 of 2«12
Sara Grambusch November 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

That looks like a great well-rounded week. I’ve taken two weeks off while moving and I’m dying to get on spin bike…butt pain and all! ;)

Meaghan November 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

I generally keep a white board at home for mapping out all of my intended workouts for the week. Right now I play for a couple of softball teams and having the paper in my pocket/planner is really helping me adjust on the fly. If a practice or impromptu game comes up, I can change my weeks plans on my way over so I don’t feel like I’ve “skipped” a workout (which always leads to more workout skippage). Great post!

Valerie November 7, 2011 at 10:51 am

If I kept a log of my workouts, they would all look exactly like yours on Nov. 1! My biggest problem is that I love group fitness classes and hot yoga… and I’m broke! I’m trying really hard to “learn to love” running or at-home workouts, but so far that has gone nowhere. Any recommendations for an empty wallet and a full(ish) schedule?

martina November 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

You may want to check with any of ur local gyms to see if they have a barter program. Friends of mine have done childcare, laundry or calling customers in trade for free memberships/classes.

Andrea November 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I second this question!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011 at 8:46 am

That’s a great suggestion Martina. Many yoga studios also offer the bartering option for free classes.

My best secret for cheap classes? GROUPON! I buy my yoga passes on the coupon sites and it saves sooooo much money. I think I get the classes for like $5 each or something like that. Also, I got my gym membership 50% off from my friend who is an instructor (they give out friend and family passes each year). If you have any friends or family members who work at a gym it pays to ask them if they can get you a discount. When I’m not a member of a gym (I don’t think I will be signing up for another membership after december), then I try to get outside as much as possible…I love to run outdoors. It’s easy & free. My fav workout DVDs are the Booty Camp Fitness (LOVE that one!) and sometimes 30 day shred too.
As for fitting it into a busy schedule, I find the 6am classes work well for me and allow me to pack a lot into my day.

Goodluck!

[email protected] Tell Stories November 7, 2011 at 11:35 am

Thanks for the workout log idea – these will be super useful to me after I have my baby in December :)

Andrea November 7, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I have been really struggling with motivation when it comes to working out/exercising lately. I printed out your workout log and it helped me for the first three days of the week, and then I slacked off. But seeing this post is very inspiring and motivating… so I encourage more workout posts… they definately help me :)

Lauren @chigallauren November 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I love this workout log! I’ve been struggling with motivation to workout and I think this is great! Thanks for posting the PDF :)

Steffany November 9, 2011 at 11:01 am

I LOVE your workout log !! Just printed it out and started using it for myself !! Reminds me of how great I always feel after exercising, even if I was feeling blah beforehand.

jess November 11, 2011 at 1:50 am

rhianna is so good to run too!! and i LOVE that saxobeat song hahaha I just repeat it over and over LOL

Debbie Panning November 14, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Thanks for this! It’s one of the things which inspired me to go back the the gym last week. I used your form and it helped keep me motivated. I’m going to fill it out again this week too. I think logging my workouts and how I feel helps keep me focused. Thanks again!

Tirzah November 17, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I loving reading this! I wouldn’t mind if you posted more…it’s so inspiring, and gives me good ideas for my workouts!