Behind The Scenes: Take 2

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 28, 2011

IMG_1133

It’s time for another round of behind the scenes! For part 1, see this post.

Once again, I’m showcasing all of the flops, disasters, forgotten, and so-so recipes I’ve made since July. Only the best recipes get posted on the blog, but I think it’s fun to give you a sneak peek of what didn’t make the cut!

And show you some of the flops that I had to eat until I was blue in the face. I’m telling you I don’t want to see a sweet potato or spaghetti squash for a very long time…

Speaking of squash, I made a sweet cinnamon & Sucanat flavoured spaghetti squash.

IMG_0159

I thought I was going to LOVE this change up from the usual savoury squash. It tasted good and all, but something was off and I got sick of it real fast. Butternut or acorn squash and a lightly sweet topping works, but somehow it just didn’t work with spaghetti squash…

IMG_0172

Sure was pretty, though!

IMG_0191

I’m guessing this was a brownie flop?

IMG_0214

I really don’t remember! This was the only picture on my camera…no finished product. Suspicious…

I tried to replicate my Project Food Blog S’more in a jar, yet again.

IMG_0831

Still didn’t turn out how I remembered it! I lost the recipe and haven’t been able to replicate it since last Fall.

IMG_0860

IMG_0927

Homemade Vanilla Bean almond milk!

It tasted pretty decent, but I didn’t find that it was much cheaper than buying it from the store. And the leftover almond pulp just stressed me out…

IMG_0958

I made a navy bean based pasta sauce that was a huge flop.

IMG_0981

Ok, it wasn’t that bad, but it was just bland no matter what spices and seasonings I added to it.

Navy beans are tricky to get right…

IMG_0983

I tried an all natural, oil-free, and no sugar added granola bar recipe that I found on Pinterest, but I wasn’t a fan…It was pretty mushy and tasteless.

IMG_0986

I made a gorgeous two-tier carrot cake…until it crumbled!

IMG_1109

But love is all you need, clearly.

IMG_1112

They are holding hands, right? bahah

I made a peach and cilantro pesto.

IMG_1123

The pesto tasted great, but once on pasta it just tasted bland and boring.

IMG_1219

Watermelon smoothies!

Just watermelon, ice, and almond milk.

IMG_1227

Crock Pot Blueberry Pie steel-cut oatmeal.

IMG_1245

I didn’t post this because I prefer the make-ahead steel cut oatmeal. Mainly because I really don’t like cleaning the crock pot! The oats just get all stuck on (even when I grease it) and it’s not a fun cleaning job. Or maybe I don’t know the trick?

I made s’more granola bars, based off my chocolate chunk toffee bars. I didn’t like them more than the original recipe, so I figured there was no point in posting. The toffee bars are the best! So far…

IMG_1272

I made nut-butter crusted potato chips, but they didn’t turn out.

IMG_1335

Stick with the nut butter parsnip fries, for sure.

I made that cinnamon sweet potato coconut soup that I told you about…

IMG_1474

Nothing to write home about.

IMG_1496

I also tried this magic trick for instant oatmeal. You pour boiling water over the oats and leave it in the jar for 15 mins. Sadly, it didn’t work for me after 4-5 trials using different amounts of oats.

IMG_0350

Update: I did hear from a couple of you that you need to fill the oats half way up the jar. I tried this a couple times, but maybe I should give it another shot!

IMG_0352

I made a vanilla cake batter smoothie. I prefer the chocolate one!

IMG_1476

I roasted cherry tomatoes…

IMG_1514

and made a roasted cherry & lentil wrap. The dressing I made for it was a bit off, so I didn’t post it.

IMG_1535

Click “continue” for the other half of the post…lots more pictures to come!

Eric likes taking pictures of the moon…lol.

IMG_1569

I bought a new kind of wheatgrass powder from Whole Foods.

IMG_1588

These espresso beans are addicting, but a bit hard on my stomach!

IMG_1602

I made ANOTHER sweet potato soup. I’m stubborn.

IMG_1613

Second time is not a charm.

IMG_1619

I made crispy pan-fried tofu which tasted pretty good, but I was reminded why I don’t eat soy. (I get stomach pains from soy)

IMG_1648

Really good Cinnamon Bun oatmeal…lost but not forgotten.

IMG_1672

I made roasted red pepper pasta sauce. I had such high hopes for this!

IMG_1843

I wasn’t sold on it. It just wasn’t thick and creamy like I wanted it to be.

IMG_1853

IMG_1865

So I made another.

IMG_1866

Close but no cigar.

IMG_1875

I made Carrot Cake Granola Bars.

IMG_1882

Eric said, “It’s a crime against humanity that you didn’t post this recipe.”

I think he liked them. ;) I loved these as well, but will need to work on the recipe a bit more.

IMG_1917

I made Peach oats.

IMG_1953

A bit tart.

I made tropical coconut milk pineapple oatmeal. It was quite good!

IMG_1960

Pumpkin Butter Swirl Oats….also very good.

IMG_1966

I shot my new Fall header on a coffee table in the back yard!

IMG_2273

And things got a bit crazy, as usual.

IMG_1133

So that’s what you haven’t seen since July! Time sure flies.

Any surprises in this post? Any crimes against humanity?

Page 3 of 3«123
[email protected] KatieDid September 28, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Wow your try out sooo much! I wish I could find the time and money for so many attempts at recipes I make but.. I guess I’ll just stick to trying out your tried and true versions :)

Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection September 28, 2011 at 7:01 pm

It’s fun to see what didn’t quite make the cut for the blog–this might sound weird but it’s a nice reminder that no one is perfect when experimenting in the kitchen. Things can’t always turn out amazingly (though your food still LOOKS fantastic!!)

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm

They may not have made the blog, but they all sure look darn good to me!

blossjoss September 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Super fun post!

Lori September 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Have you tried the crockpot steel cut oats on just the warm setting overnight? I tried this instead of the low setting and it turned out really good!

Nina @ SLO Foodie September 28, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Oh cinnamon bun oatmeal! I want to know that one so badly since I have tried and tried to come up with a good one. If it ever resurfaces, please post! :)

Tara September 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm

YUM the toffee bars look great. I am a huge fan of your other ones and have made them quite a few times :) Would you be able to let me know what modifications you made to this one? :) They look delish!

jenna September 28, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Such a fun post :) I also used to wonder what the heck to do with the leftover almond pulp when making almond milk… UNTIL I mixed it up with some nutritional yeast, lemon juice and salt and pepper. The quickest “cheese” spread you’ll ever make, and I think it’s one of the best I’ve had.

Manda September 28, 2011 at 9:51 pm

You are posting the recipes for some of these right?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2011 at 8:04 am

perhaps, if some of them turn out the way I want them to :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 28, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Everything looks so good! Great pictures!! The S’mores in the jar look out of this world!!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 28, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I keep catching myself drooling.

I must start making more fall flavors.

Jessica September 29, 2011 at 12:15 am

You can use the leftover almond pulp to make homemade almond flour. I just spread it out on a baking sheet, let it sit overnight to dry out a little, and then stick it in the oven, as low as the temp will go, for an hour or two. You could probably use a dehydrator, too. Once the pulp has dried out sufficiently, I use my spice grinder to turn it into flour. When you consider the fact that you get two products out of the almonds this way, it really does become a huge cost savings.

If I’m too lazy to make flour, I add the pulp to my overnight oats, or to bread or other baked goods.

Ashley September 29, 2011 at 12:36 am

You my dear, are completely amazing!!!

Rachel September 29, 2011 at 2:12 am

I will never get over not having the s’mores cake in a jar recipe (as I have mentioned it at least 3 times before). But it’s comforting to know that you are still trying, and for that I am appreciative :-)

Rachel September 29, 2011 at 2:35 am

I love “inside info” posts like these! Thanks for sharing :-)

DORIS @vanillacocoberry September 29, 2011 at 6:10 am

hahaha I sure have met Mr. Chocolate more than once :)
had to laugh multiple times while reading this

Sophie September 29, 2011 at 6:59 am

There were some tasty & eadible recipes in there, I thought! MMMMMM,…You certainly have been busy!!

I had to smile & laugh through the whole post! :)

Many greetings from Belgium!

Heather September 29, 2011 at 7:17 am

Wow, I love this V.I.P. look. I feel so stealth. I really commend you for all of your trial and errors. You really do work so hard and it is super inspiring!

Jessica September 29, 2011 at 7:43 am

Whew! I thought I was the only one with recipe mishaps! You better be posting that carrot cake granola bar recipe soon! :)

Jennifer September 29, 2011 at 8:19 am

You should try making your crock pot overnight oatmeal using a crock pot liner. My husband’s aunt uses them at every holiday and she’s always so glad she can just pull the liner out and not actually have to clean the crock pot!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 29, 2011 at 8:26 am

Thanks for the honesty! It happens to the best of us. Oh, and yes, cleaning the crock pot is a major undertaking!

robyn September 29, 2011 at 8:33 am

Even your disasters make good pictures! That first and last picture of the pot?? That’s whats happens to me way too many times making yogurt!!

Shira September 29, 2011 at 8:39 am

Fun to see ideas, even if they don’t turn out!
I have a question, kinda unrelated, but I have seen posts of yours about oatmeal, and different ways of making it and etc, and on other blogs too.. is there a reason for ‘overnight oats’ or the steel cut oats? I mean I make and have always made rolled oats in the microwave or stovetop.. just wondering if there is a health benefit or reason for these other methods?

Mac September 29, 2011 at 8:43 am

I have far too many of these incidences, thanks for sharing yours!

PS secret to crock pot cleaning is to not clean at all, by getting crock pot plastic lining. They apparently don’t stick to the crock pot and all you have to do is throw them out when you’re done eating/cooking. My aunt uses them all the time for Thanksgiving so we don’t have to clean up a whole lot.

Marcy September 29, 2011 at 8:53 am

Such creative flops! Sometimes flops are the most fun. My disastrous attempt at savory vegan ice cream sandwiches is one of my most popular posts. What’s up with that?

Sarah September 29, 2011 at 9:01 am

Cleaning oats from the crockpot is pretty simple… I just empty the crock pot and fill it with water up to where the “oat line” is. Then I just go to class and leave it to soak (for a few hours) and it pulls the oats right off the side. Good luck!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 29, 2011 at 9:03 am

try marinating and then pureeing gigante beans. Add a teensy bit of evoo and red wine vinegar-amazing pasta sauce.

Jenny September 29, 2011 at 9:31 am

Any more crimes against humanity? Yes: not posting the Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal recipe! The recipe for apple Pie Oatmeal on here is my favourite thus far, but… perhaps I’m mistaken and just have yet to taste something as heavenly as Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal sounds.

I was always under the impression that almond milk was much cheaper to make than the store-bought stuff… unless it’s that much cheaper in Ontario than it is in BC. And I don’t doubt that the oatmeal and boiled water trick works for others, but I’ve never gotten it right either. :| At least overnight oatmeal always seems to turn out just right!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner September 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I want those recipes SO bad!!!! :)

michelle September 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I love how you post your ‘flops’…although what you consider a failure is probably delicious.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 29, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I like these behind the scenes posts :-)

Carly September 30, 2011 at 6:41 am

For the oats and boiling water, I have had great success with using a bowl, pouring the boiling water over the oats/ingredients so you can JUST see it at the top of the oats and then cover for 5 minutes. It produces great almost-creamy oats. Very quick & yummy

digamba October 2, 2011 at 5:09 am

I have a sweet potato soup recipe and it’s great…it uses peanut butter, but you could sub cashew or sunflower butter (not almond, that wouldn’t taste right). Are you interested?

Lynna @wholeytreats October 2, 2011 at 9:14 pm

oh my god, carrot cake granola bars? what a great idea! I can’t wait til you perfect and post that recipe. I may experiment a little myself!

Sophia October 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Just saw your comments about making almond milk at home. In the UK, making your own almond milk is definitely cheaper than buying store-bought. However, I initially had the same concerns about wasting the almond pulp – until I discovered you can easily swap out half the flour in most quick bread recipes (e.g. banana loaf) with the almond pulp and you end up with a super moist crumb that is a bit nutty and has a bit more bite to it than using just flour (and I actually prefer it that way now!).

All the best

Sophia

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thats a great tip!

Laura @ prettylittlewords October 7, 2011 at 2:31 am

Angela! The secret to slow cooker oats is that you don’t use a slow cooker at all…use a RICE cooker! The nonstick coating and steam release, as well as different settings (you have to use one of the “fancier” computerized ones, although mine was only $60) and set it on either the quick cook/porridge setting or the white rice setting. It’s magic, every time. I will never go back!