Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 29, 2011

IMG_6553

For those of you who don’t already know, The Great Fundraising Act organized by Janetha raised a whopping $26,432 for Susan!!!

photo-1_thumb1

[source]

I’ve said it before, but this community is truly amazing in every way possible!!

img_7695_thumb

[source]

Susan writes, “I was running on a high all day yesterday watching the bids come through and keeping up on Twitter. My family and I were all texting each other with updates. You didn’t just save me, but you saved my family. The predicted amount for my chemotherapy drugs is $30,000 if I have to do the full 6 months. This covers almost all of it. That means my retired mother doesn’t have to cash in her RRSPs. My Nana doesn’t have to give up her “just in case” nursing home savings. I don’t have to work full-time when my doctors have advised me against it.

It doesn’t end here however. I am still going to work at getting the drug assistance my province owes me. This gives me a cushion while I go through the bureaucratic minefield of getting there. I originally wanted to give the remaining funds to buying items for the kitchen and family room in the oncology ward that I lived in for one month. But maybe this means we could renovate to give them a proper kitchen! I met SO many amazing people fighting cancer in that hospital, they and their visiting families certainly don’t deserve to eat food like this. I will be blogging all the details about where the money goes.”

Susan also appeared on CBC News and on the front page of the Fredericton newspaper!!

Kicking butt and taking numbers. Whooo!

IMG_9269_thumb

In other exciting news, I’m having quite the week hosting my family during their stay in Ontario! We’ve been on the go all week doing fun activities with my nephews. (Thanks to some major blog pre-planning, I’ve been able to stay OFF the computer! Amen sista.)

I’ll be posting a recap with pictures soon. :)

IMG_9289_thumb

I’m also here to tell you that it’s never too early in the day for Chocolate Peanut Butter dip.

IMG_6599

Or strong coffee, but you knew that already.

We tested this theory after it called our names from the fridge at 8am. You can’t say no to peanut butter and chocolate when the moment presents itself. You just can’t.

Luckily, this isn’t your average sweet fruit dip loaded with sugar. It’s a dip that can be enjoyed at 8am…just because you are a cool Aunt and the kiddies will think they are doing the naughtiest thing in the world!

Just don’t blame me if they request this at home as much as that Dora character I keep seeing all week.

IMG_6551

[print_this]

Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip

Adapted from ABU which was adapted from Heather.

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter (all natural)
  • 1/4 cup to 3/4 cup almond milk, as needed
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, or to taste
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate, stirred in & to garnish

Directions: In a blender add all ingredients (start with the lesser amount of milk) except the chocolate. Note: If you want to make the swirl, also leave out the cocoa powder at first. Blend until smooth. To make the swirl, I simply portioned some out before adding the cocoa powder. I put it in a plastic bag with the ends cut off and I swirled it over top.

Now blend in the cocoa powder and pulse in the chocolate until chunky.  Garnish with more shaved chocolate.

[/print_this]

IMG_6574

Making sliced fruit look naughty since 1998. ;)

IMG_6600

Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~Margaret Mead

Page 3 of 3«123
Maxwell July 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I just made your fruit dip, but I am planning on using it as a banana soft serve topping and ice cream topping. It doesn’t look exactly like yours but it tastes amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) July 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm

It’s so great that there are people like Susan to help those in need! :)

And I think I just about died and went to heaven when I read the title of this post! You’re definitely right that it would make a great breakfast! I mean fruit, healthy fats, antioxidants from chocolate… sounds pretty healthy to me ;)

Laura @ Special Treats July 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm

This is right up my alley, must try soon! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I love thinking ahead to plan for posts for an entire week when I have something going on. I’m glad you’re having a nice time with your family, and this dip looks so so good!

[email protected] July 29, 2011 at 7:58 pm

WOW! that looks so good… I know what I am making this weekend!

Shelley July 29, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Oh my gosh! I don’t think i have the guts to make this cuz i seriously think i will just eat it…with a spoon.. by myself. Thats ok right :)

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery July 29, 2011 at 9:30 pm

It’s truly amazing what people can do when they work together. Just….amazing. I don’t even know what else to call it. <3

Kris July 30, 2011 at 6:16 am

Dora needs to step up to the times and get a GPS ;)

But in all seriousness, I’ve been enjoying your blogs for weeks and think you’re fantastic! I can’t wait to read more!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 30, 2011 at 6:56 am

true words! ;)

thanks!

Michaela July 30, 2011 at 10:01 am

you are such a fabulous aunt!!
and I am smitten by the support for Susan, that is awesome.

Bee @ Icky Bee's Piece O' Cake July 30, 2011 at 10:19 am

I just made this dip and sheesh, I am trying (unsuccessfully) not to eat it with a spoon. I promised my husband some of this with apple slices, but I think it’s all going to be gone before he gets home! Mine turned out much fluffier, almost like a mousse, than your photos and I think it would make a great icing. Now, I’m off to find more things to put in/on this.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 30, 2011 at 3:31 pm

That dip is inane. In an awesome way.

Sarah Williams July 31, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Wow! I just made this and it is phenomenal!!! I dipped graham crackers and melon in it and MAN was it delicious! Cant wait to eat left overs in my lunch at work tomorrow!

Kristin August 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm

This dip sounds delicious. I can’t wait to try it!

Maggie Wilson August 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hi Angela, I made this today for my kids and my daughter’s friend. They LOVED it. Thanks for another great recipe. Love your blog :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Maggie!

kate August 2, 2011 at 9:49 pm

OMG…..I made this this afternoon for my kids and we were literally ohhing and ahhing the entire time! Thank you for the great treat and all of your wonderful ideas! I love reading your blog!

Carissa August 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Yes please! This is getting added to my breakfast list. Yum!

Marianne August 5, 2011 at 2:54 am

The dip looks delicious, but what I really want to know is – where are those spoons from? I see them everywhere on blogs, but have no idea where they come from!

Kate August 7, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Wooow that looks so good! I have a hard time saying No to peanut butter and chocolate myself! Actually I’ve got a bunch of recipes on my healthy vegan blog with either or both of those as the stars. I’ve posted about your blog on a couple of occasions because you have so many wonderful recipes over here! Thanks a bunch for all the inspiration! =)

Anita Pepita January 20, 2013 at 4:07 am

Omg Angela… why tempt me at 8pm at night? 12 hours after you say you may eat this! I made it but I had to change it as I of course didn’t have all the ingredients. I used half peanut butter and half sunflower seed butter, and didn’t use chocolate but instead added some raw, organic coconut and extra cocoa powder. To. Die. For.

Annie October 9, 2013 at 4:53 pm

is there any way to make this with less sweetener? any suggestions for something i can replace the maple syrup with? I’m on a really restricted diet and sugar isn’t allowed but it just looks so tempting…

Tracy October 29, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I made this dip for a chips and dip party and served it with banana chips. It was a big hit! However, I will say that mine came out super thin – more of a sauce than a dip. I ended up adding a little extra PB, cacao powder, and some oat flour to thicken it up. That worked, but I am left wondering why my initial version came out so thin. Thanks again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2017 at 7:40 am

Hey Tracy, Thanks for letting me know! It could be due to variations in thickness for nut butters. Sometimes they can be on the oily side or very thin, sometimes very thick and dry. I love that you were able to thicken it up by adding more PB and cocoa powder though! Good call.

Laura January 25, 2018 at 6:10 pm

I just attempted this and (like Tracy wrote in October) it came out very thin. I didn’t even use a full cup of almond milk. Tried adding extra cocoa, extra PB, and finally a little cornstarch. It’s finally become as thick as a milkshake. Tastes good, but definitely not a dip.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 26, 2018 at 8:42 am

Hey Laura, Thank you so much for your feedback! I have made a note to test this recipe and update the amounts. So sorry it was too thin for you!