Blueberry Almond Chia Squares

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 22, 2011

IMG_9188

Last weekend, I found myself at the Farmer’s Market ogling fresh blueberries.

Before I left, Eric said, “Don’t bring back more than you can eat,” with a wink. This was surely a challenge.

I left with 2 pounds of blueberries and the complete confidence that I would eat all of them. He obviously doesn’t realize that I’m capable of eating my own weight in pretty much any fruit or vegetable. Eric isn’t a big blueberry fan, so I knew that I was on my own for this match.

This week, I made Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats (so amazing!)

IMG_6969-2

Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge with blueberries and cinnamon.

IMG_8741

and now, Blueberry Almond Chia Squares!

IMG_9177

And I think I’m starting to turn blue.

IMG_9200

[print_this]

Blueberry Almond Chia Squares

The ultimate gooey blueberry square packed with chia seeds, oats, and almonds! They make a great breakfast square as they are light, healthy, and oil-free thanks to the applesauce.

Note: Some of you commented saying that the bars crumbled. I didn’t have this problem, but changing up the ingredients or liquid sweetener may effect the results. Please allow to cool completely before cutting as that will help too. :)

Inspired by Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars.

Yield: 12 squares

• 2 cups regular rolled oats
  • 1 & 1/4 cup oat flour (process rolled oats until flour forms)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds (ground flax probably works)
  • 1/2 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tbsp nut butter (I used almond butter)
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/3 cup chopped almonds

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square pan (I used 8” x 8”) with two pieces of parchment paper (this is recommended as the blueberries explode!!)

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (rolled oats, oat flour, cinnamon, chia, salt, and Sucanat). In another small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (nut butter, applesauce, brown rice syrup, extracts). Add wet to dry and stir well until throughly combined.

3. Fold in the blueberries and almonds and pour into pan. Spread batter with wet hands and press firmly so it packs together. This will help them stick together.

4. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350F. Allow to cool completely before cutting. Makes 12 squares or however many you want!

[/print_this]

IMG_9192

As you can see, the blueberries got all gooey and delicious while baking! They are a soft square with a nice chewy texture laced with gooey blueberry ‘jam’. We really enjoyed these and I quickly froze them for my nephews next week.

And I’m seriously craving one after typing up this post! Are blueberry squares good frozen? haha…jk!

IMG_9204

aaaaaaand…because it’s Friday and we all like to fool off a bit, I thought I would share a few websites that I’m loving lately!

1) Pinterest

“Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes. Best of all, you can browse pinboards created by other people. Browsing pinboards is a fun way to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests.”

If you haven’t signed up for an account yet, you definitely should! You can check out my boards here: http://pinterest.com/ohsheglows/ (especially the animal one!!) I created a board for food, travel, photography, fashion, animal, and home décor inspiration. Ahhhh it’s just addictive for the creative mind.

[Mom you would love this!!!]

2)  Kickstarter

When Eric showed me this website last week, I was absolutely blown away! Kickstarter is the largest funding platform for creative projects in the world. People from all over the world submit their unique project and business ideas and then ‘fundraise’ to pledgers. Some Kickstarters have raised over $100,000 in funding for their business ideas! The cool thing about it is that the pitchers still retain 100% ownership of their business.

3) Non-GMO Shopping Guide

Your guide to buying non-genetically modified products! Amazing, informative website to help you avoid the companies that use GMO’s and support the ones who don’t.

What websites are you loving lately?

Page 3 of 3«123
Julie July 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hi Angela,

I have Hemp seeds at home, would it works as a sub for the Chia seeds?

Thanks!

Jackie July 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Angela, I made these bars today and for some reason they didn’t hold together. I made one change which was to sub the oat flour with Buckwheat flour. Do you think that could be the reason? Otherwise I checked and double checked that I followed the directions and I just can’t figure it out. Fortunately I think it will make great granola :) Thanks for the recipe!

Meredith August 3, 2011 at 6:06 am

I made these bars last night and what a delicious treat for breakfast this morning! But it looks like I’m running into the same problem as a few others who have commented here – many of the bars are a crumbly mess! Any suggestions Angela to make them hold together better?

Meredith August 3, 2011 at 6:08 am

I wanted to add – even when I was putting the “batter” into the pan I had my doubts that it was going to hold together well as the batter was very dry and bally. I looked like I was missing something – something to make it more moist – but I double checked the recipe and I was following it to a tee!

Laura June 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hello! I just love your website, thanks for posting all these yummy recipes! I just wanted to let others know that I’ve used gluten free oats and flour and agave instead of some of the above ingredients and it works great too. Also since it’s not always blueberry season, we freeze blueberries when they’re in season and use the frozen ones folded in. They fold in easily and just add an extra five min cook time. Thanks again for a great blog!

Christy September 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm

This is the bomb! My friends and I get together a few times a month to cook for the week ahead and try to do new stuff every time….but I think this one will be a repeat!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2012 at 7:46 am

Aw thank you that makes me happy!!

Julie January 20, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I made these and just changed a few things because I had to go with what I had on hand and was too lazy to go to the grocery store. They still turned out awesome!! I want to try them again by the original recipe though.

Substituted oat flour for all purpose
Used frozen mixed berries instead of blueberries
Substituted maple syrup for rice syrup
Substituted apple butter for nut butter
Substituted pecans for almonds
Aand I threw in some shredded coconut just because I like it.

Delish!

Sarah February 5, 2013 at 10:01 pm

These are so delish! Just made a batch. Used frozen mixed berries and agave. Didnt have any trouble with crumbling!

Allyson April 6, 2013 at 2:30 am

This is a great recipe. I found the batter a little dry, so I added one mashed banana and it worked great. I also used strawberries instead of blueberries b/c that’s what I had on hand – delicious. The almond extract really works.

Sara May 26, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I just made these and they were delicious!!!

Sarah July 14, 2013 at 12:21 pm

These are yummy but a little dense? I will try a tsp. of baking powder maybe next time. It seems very similar to your other recipe (which I LOVE) of oatmeal squares.Thanks again! LOVE your site.

Kathryn September 16, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Just tried a slice fresh out of the pan — these are wonderful! I did make the following modifications, mainly to use what I had on hand: instead of sucanat/brown sugar, I diced up a handful of dates; instead of applesauce and in the hopes of the bars sticking together well, I used one and a half very ripe bananas; maple syrup in the place of rice syrup; and I replaced the chia seeds with ground flax. Also added a tsp of baking powder based on a previous review. Hearty, sweet like I was looking for. These will be great on-the-go energy boosts. Thanks Angela, I love the way cook!