Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 15, 2011

IMG_8853

Over the past few months, Eric has been taking a Project Management Course to get his Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. It hasn’t been easy on him juggling work, the 3.5 hour daily commute, studying, and building the deck at the same time! We’ve been looking forward to the completion of the course so he doesn’t have to spend his evenings studying.

He was under a lot of pressure to pass because his work was paying for the course and no one wants to tell their boss and coworkers they failed the exam. We joked that he probably studied more for this exam than for all his exams combined in university!

Wednesday, Eric wrote the 400-question PMP exam and he passed with flying colours! Whew.

We celebrated, Blizzard style… :)

IMG_8851

I loved reading through your comments on what Blizzard flavours I should make next! So many great ideas. For my 3rd version, I decided to make a spin-off of DQ’s Brownie Batter Blizzard:

DQ10Q4027P_BrownieBatter_28

[source]

It boasts, ‘Double chocolate brownie batter blended with real fudge brownie pieces and creamy vanilla soft serve’

Yes please!

IMG_8840

My previous two versions below:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard                         Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch Blizzard

IMG_2985-4 IMG_8587-2

The first thing I did was whip up some double chocolate brownie dough balls in the food processor.

IMG_8650

[print_this]

Double Chocolate Brownie Dough Balls

Adapted from Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls.

Yield: 12 balls

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup raw cashews
  • 12 Medjool dates (1 cup packed & pitted)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup shredded unsweet. coconut
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1. In a food processor, add the cashews and process until a fine crumb. Be sure not to over process and release the oils too much.

2. Now add in the pitted dates and process until chunky. Add in the rest of the ingredients (except walnuts) and process until a dough forms. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Pulse in walnuts so they remain chunky. Add a bit more liquid sweetener if dough is too dry.

3. Form into balls and store in fridge or freezer.

[/print_this]

IMG_8645

Double chocolaty.

Crunchy.

Nutty.

Chewy.

Sweet & salty.

What’s not to love?

IMG_8844

Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

• Banana Soft Serve or your favourite ice cream
  • Cocoa powder & peanut butter, to taste
  • Brownie dough balls (from above)
  • Toasted coconut, for garnish

1. In a food processor, process your desired amount of frozen bananas until a creamy soft serve forms. We use 3 large bananas for 2 people. OR, simply grab your favourite ice cream and scoop it into the processor.

2. Add cocoa powder and peanut butter, to taste and process until combined.

3. Crumble 2-3 brownie dough balls into the processor and pulse until just combined.

4. Scoop into bowls or glass and crumble another ball on top with toasted coconut, for garnish. Enjoy on a hot summer day!

IMG_8826

I think this flavour would work better without banana soft serve. The banana was just a bit too pronounced in this combo. Next time, I might use Chocolate Coconut Bliss and do without the banana flavour coming through.

Otherwise it was fantastic!

I had to be quick with the photoshoot under the hot sun because I was making a huge mess, as usual!

IMG_8853

Though, we clean up pretty well. ;)

IMG_8854

Have a great Friday!

Page 3 of 3«123
Char July 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Mmmm I have been loving your blizzard posts lately! It’s funny cuz I was starting to think about them now that it’s summer :) will be trying your recipes!! Thanks :)

And congrats to Eric!! :D

Lisa C July 15, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Hi Angela,
I left you a comment this morning but see that it didn’t show up? Or maybe we’re not supposed to leave links? I just wanted to leave another comment and make sure you know I wasn’t trying to be spammy. I just thought you’d enjoy the recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Hey Lisa, links tend to go to spam…I’ll have to look for it!

jen July 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm

omg you are evil. i am sitting here at work totally wanting chocolate while being out of healthy foods and then i open this. looks so great! if only i could reach through my computer and grab it. have a good weekend.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2011 at 10:40 am

lol…that is the worst!!

Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Good God I love you!!! Thank you thank you thank you for this :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 15, 2011 at 7:57 pm

This looks like the best celebration treat ever! Bit congrats to Eric! All that studying combined with everything else sounds so stressful – he must be SO relieved to be done. I hope he has a nice relaxing weekend!

Kris July 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Two little boys here have you requested you make that for them next week! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2011 at 10:40 am

they are going to be spoiled! just made a big box of glo bars for them in the freezer right now waiting for them :)

Jennifer Baldwin July 15, 2011 at 9:00 pm

OMG everytime i visit your site I get hungry ! I have some Nada Moo in my fridge I may have to try this out with. Have you tried it ?? Dairy-free made with coconut milk ? Delish !!
Thanks and btw … just had buckwheat porridge for the THIRD day in a row :)

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life July 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm

CONGRATS to Eric! I hate exams and I’m so glad I never have to take any more if I so choose! I love Dairy Queen and I think your version of the blizzard looks 2104x better than the original!

Brooke July 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm

3.5 hour commute? That sounds like torture!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2011 at 10:38 am

yea its brutal :\

lindsay July 15, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Wow this looks FABULOUS Angela! You always come up with such amazing recipes. DQ was a huge deal for my family on summer weekends up north in Minnesota, but these days I stick to things like banana soft serve and coconut bliss like you. haha but what a killer combo!

Alissa July 15, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Thank you for this!! I will be adding to my grocery list for Sunday so I can’t make them!

Susie July 16, 2011 at 1:15 am

This looks delicious! I am new to this site– what kind/brand of vegan chocolate chips do you use?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 4:14 pm

They are ONFO- ontario natural food coop

Hayley @ Oat Couture July 16, 2011 at 2:02 am

Congratulations Eric!! :) Bet thats such a weight off!! And those blizzards look AMAZING btw!!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig July 16, 2011 at 5:42 am

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever drooled over my computer screen so much. Unfortunately, these definitely won’t cut it on my training program!

Allegra July 16, 2011 at 6:32 am

MMMM weekend plans just updated (1) THIS recipe after spin and (2) HAVE to convince my parents to invest in a vitamix!!! :) This looks so delicious. Congrats to Eric!

Jessie July 16, 2011 at 9:09 am

Can not wait to try it! I made the chocolate chip ones the other day and my whole family (even my husband who likes nothing healthy) LOVED them!

Jessie July 16, 2011 at 9:09 am

Michaela July 16, 2011 at 10:10 am

happy for your husband!
omg, I am so craving these blizzards right now!!!! they look absolutely delicious!

Kristen July 16, 2011 at 10:38 am

You’re a genius!!! My non-vegan boyfriend goes to DQ all the time and gets that exact blizzard…I already made your cookie dough balls for him with the banana soft serve and he loved it…so I know this will be a big hit! Thank you Angela :)

teresa July 16, 2011 at 11:49 am

Omg…x 1000!!!!!
Angela…this looks beyond fabulous!!!!
You ROCK!
Hugs from Bainbridge!

Christine (The Raw Project) July 16, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Congrats to Eric, that’s wonderful! And this looks amazing, something I must make for my hubby. :-) Thanks!

[email protected] July 16, 2011 at 12:19 pm

they look amazing, congrats to you both. xx

Dayanna July 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Oh MY gosh! I just finished my morning run an hour and I am drooling on my keyboard for one of these – can’t to try it! :)

VeggieGirl July 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’m thinking of going from vegetarian to vegan, you recipes inspire me :)

Living, Learning, Eating July 16, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Your Blizzards look amazing! I’d be vegan, but I can’t give up the ice cream/yogurt/honey quite yet…maybe some day :P

Alison July 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Oh my gosh… i am pregnant and have been wanting icecream for so long..but have YET to get it yet this pregnancy and im already 32 weeks!! I always knew it would make me feel terrible since I don’t handle dairy and sugar well, so i didn’t bother ever buying it. THANK GOD for your recipe! LOL. I just made this with frozen bananas and oh my gosh…it is even better then icecream! Thank you so much!! :) I love that you show ways to eat healthy without sacrificing taste! :) its just awesome!

marla {family fresh cooking} July 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm

These blizzards look amazing. So wish this could be my dinner tonight!

Emily July 16, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Yuuuum!!! I love how chocolate and banana taste together so I definitely wouldn’t mind the strong banana flavor! :) Also, congrats to Eric!!

digamba July 16, 2011 at 10:46 pm

You’re right…the bananas don’t work. I love bananas but this was just not the right thing…I’m amazed to find I do not like BSS. The brownie dough balls are great, though, and I will try again with some Coconut Bliss or maybe So Delicious.

Susan July 17, 2011 at 8:44 am

What a great idea!

Crystal July 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Loved these brownie balls! The texture was super and they were so fast to make, the hubs loves them too. Thank you for the recipe!

Carissa July 18, 2011 at 11:07 am

This is now at the top of my list for what to make this week. YUM!!!

Teri July 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Angela you are WONDERFUL!

Nancy May 28, 2012 at 10:07 am

Thank you so much for sharing your recipes and stories. I am newly vegan and struggling to find foods that I really like. I am giving myself time tho, since i have been eating meat for 40 something years before i chose vegan for health reasons.
i LOVE the brownie bites. They taste like milk duds to me, and since my hubby still likes a blizzard now and again… I can enjoy something similar.
Your web site is so beautiful. I was so excited to see all the yummy pictures. I tried the blueberry muffins, and have many more to try too! Thank you again!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2012 at 10:23 am

Thank you Nancy, that means so much to me!

Barbara August 18, 2013 at 9:09 pm

The family wiped this out. It was a hit. Thanks!

Kathleen Campbell April 1, 2014 at 11:24 am

Hi ! After trying the Peanut Butter blizzard last night, which was amazing, I think this one will be next on my list to try. I agree with someone, Heath blizzards are the best and definitely one that needs a healthy recipe made for it! Or mint cookie. Or coffee :)

PS- I’m confused… I thought all your recipes were vegan, but I’ve seen some that call for dark chocolate chips. Is it just assumed that you buy vegan dark chocolate chips? Because dark c.c. have milk in them, and I haven’t seen a vegan version, but if there is I’ll keep looking!