Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch ‘Blizzard’

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 7, 2011

Last night, I made a new veggie burger recipe.

IMG_8552

Don’t get too excited though, they were crap. I’m super picky when it comes to veggie burgers and I rarely meet one that I’m happy with.

Eric goes, ‘They’d be good without all the lemon…’

‘They are rosemary lemon burgers.’

‘Oh…hah’

Fail.

I also won’t tell you that I had to skin my rosemary plant to get enough leaves for the recipe. I’m pretty sure it’s going to die today in protest.

IMG_8193

However, I redeemed myself with this salad made with garden romaine lettuce! It was the freshest romaine I’ve ever laid eyes on or tasted. And most importantly, I grew it!

IMG_8505

We currently have romaine lettuce coming out of the wazoo. I’m thinking a salad party is in store. Sadly, I think it will just be me attending.

But still, dinner left us wanting more. Half eaten crap lemon burgers and salad just wasn’t enough to tame our hunger monsters.

I had to pull out a secret weapon…

IMG_8539

Cookie Dough balls. 5 minutes to whip up. Instant gratification.

IMG_8561

[print_this]

Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch Cookie Dough Balls (GF + Vegan)

Adapted from my Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls.

Yield: 12 balls

• 1/2 cup unsalted raw cashews
  • 1/2 cup regular rolled oats (Use GF oats if you want it GF)
  • 1/4 cup brown teff flour (or any flour you desire!)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
  • 3 tbsp peanut butter
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (add gradually until desired consistency is achieved)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup diced peanuts
  • 1/4 cup Nature’s Path GF rice crisp cereal

Directions:

1. In a food processor, process the cashews and oats until very fine, like a flour consistency.

2. Add in the teff flour, salt, and sugar and pulse until combined. Now add in vanilla, peanut butter, and maple syrup gradually until desired consistency is achieved. Process until a dough forms. Stop to scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary. Dough will be very sticky! If it is too sticky to make balls, you can add a bit more flour. The type of flour you use will alter the consistency so you may have to adjust it a bit.

3. Add chocolate chips and peanuts into processor and pulse. Scoop dough into a bowl and stir in the rice crisp cereal. Form balls with the dough (lightly wet fingers if necessary). Store in the fridge or freezer.

Note: If dough is too dry, add a bit more maple syrup. If too wet, add a bit more flour.

[/print_this]

And then I did something really crazy…because it’s stifling hot and we can’t just eat balls for crying out loud!

IMG_8590

Meet the Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch ‘Blizzard’ in all its crunchy, crispy, creamy, and peanut buttery glory.

IMG_8583

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard put me up to it of course.

IMG_2985-4

This was my best idea all week. Actually, it was the only successful recipe I’ve had all week. Last night, I decided if I had one more recipe fail this week, I was going to have to hire a ghost chef for the blog.

I’m happy to say this was not made by a ghost chef.

It was all me, baby. All me. And you can thank me this weekend when you are sitting on your porch in a state of Blizzard induced bliss.

IMG_8580

Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch Blizzard for 2 (GF + Vegan)

• 3 large frozen bananas (or your favourite ice cream- it would be good with coconut bliss!)
  • 1 heaping tbsp peanut butter
  • 2-3 balls, to pulse into soft serve
  • 2 balls to crumble on top

Directions: To make this dreamy delight, grab a few frozen bananas and process them in a food processor with a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter. Once the mixture is creamy like soft serve, add in a few peanut butter balls and pulse until chunky. Scoop this mixture into a small glass and top with crumbled cookie dough balls. Serves 2.

IMG_8581

Helpful hint: If anyone in your home sees you eating this, tell them it’s Vegan and Gluten-Free and they will run like hell.

More blizzard for you.

It will be our little secret. ;)

IMG_8587-2

Best of all, we forgot all about the crap lemon burgers and the skinned rosemary plant, as we sat on the deck watching the sun bid farewell to this hot summer day.

IMG_8595

But an important question remains: What Blizzard flavour should I tackle next?

Page 5 of 5«12345
Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 8, 2011 at 8:47 am

Oh my gosh. I LOVE YOU!!!!! How about a Butterfinger one!

eva @5fruitsNveggies July 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

oh i know how you feel with the less-than-tasty meals….i feel cheated when i go through the effort to make something–bleh…the salad looks so refreshing! jealous that you have a garden that can produce the romaine….we have on purpose–due to our lack of foresight, made our garden easy to take care of–which means no gardening patches…..ps i am addicted to dough balls introduced to me through averie @love veggies and yoga…and i am really learning the beauty of using teff flour

Gen July 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Yuum!!! I think a mint choc chip blizzard would be fabulous!

Vivian July 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Your blog is the first food and health blog that I followed..and has led me to find other related blogs. I just want to say that your blog is SUCH an inspiration to me…I might even start my own!! :) Btw, are you a self-taught photographer? Because I absolutely LOVEEE your photos!! I recently just started photography, any tips on how to improve my skills? And AHHH I just wanna eat my computer right now these blizzards look delicious….drool..

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Aww thanks Vivian! I’m self-taught, mostly by googling photography blogs and just reading up on the internet here and there. I would like to take professional courses someday though! It’s so much fun to learn and experiment. Goodluck with your blog if you start one :)

Mai July 8, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Mmmm. I made this last night. SO DELICIOUS.

Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go July 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I haven’t had a blizzard in years! I will need to try a homemade, vegan one ASAP now! :D

Sarah July 8, 2011 at 11:16 pm

OMGGGG Angela!!! I am BEAMING and eating this DECADENT DESSERT RIGHT NOW as I am typing this!! I am in HEAVEN on Earth!!

This is one of the most delicious, decadent and guilt-free dessert I have EVER tried!! You just made my night with this recipe.

Thank you soooo much for sharing.
To all of you reading this, make this thing ASAP. Its sooooo amazing ^_^

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2011 at 8:12 am

So glad to hear that Sarah!

Brittnie July 9, 2011 at 6:28 am

This looks totally amazing!! Wow. I say try an Oreo flavor next. Oreo anything = best ever.

Mary July 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Thanks so much for this idea!! I just made a dialed down version of it- 3 frozen bananas and 1.5 heaping tablespoons of almond butter. Delicious!! :)

michelle July 9, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I’ve had a couple of failures this week too. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

marla {family fresh cooking} July 10, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Sorry to hear the veggie burgers were crap. Looks like you more than redeemed yourself with these blizzards. Beautiful work girl! Love all those fresh from the garden veggies you got there.

Andrea July 10, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Count me in on the salad party!

Ruth July 11, 2011 at 2:17 am

I agree with lots of folks above – oreo would be awesome! I’ve tired your previous blizzard, and cookie dough bites – you can’t go wrong!

Lindsey Krist July 11, 2011 at 9:39 am

“…because it’s stifling hot and we can’t just eat balls for crying out loud!” – HAHA….That’s what SHE said….

Tammy Hollingworth July 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Angela- I’m new to your site and I LOVE it!! I have made a couple of things and cant wait to try your Green Monster’s. I also have just started running and exercising. And hope that one day I can see it as “fun”. I have been training (not as much as I should) for my first 5K that will take place in a bit over a month. I’m very excited about it and doing it as one of my first goals. I am 46 and beginning to “reflect” on my life. Realizing that it is time that I am the only one that can make positive changes in my life for MYSELF.
So I would like to say thank you and I am really enjoying your site. Love the stories and recipe’s. I look forward to your emails everyday.
Tammy~

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2011 at 7:28 am

Thanks Tammy! Goodluck with your 5k!

Natasha Kay July 17, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I just got home with my new food processor and after whipping up some quick guacamole, I knew I needed to try this recipe! I just about ate the dough straight because it was so yummy! Bananas are freezing now and then I’ll be whipping up the “blizzard”! :)

Just a minor detail: the peanut butter is missing from the recipe instructions (for the balls).

Thanks again!

Lily's Health Pad July 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm

yep! I just made this recipe and was logging on to comment about the missing 3 TBSP of PB.

Melanie Keenan July 19, 2011 at 7:11 pm

If I were a man, and you were single…I would ask you to marry me just because of this recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!! Just accidentally stumbled upon your site because I googled “Stuffed Patty Pan Squash recipes” and will be trying this blizzard recipe AND your patty pan recipe this week!!!! I will be a return and avid reader!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2011 at 7:28 pm

LOL love this comment! Glad you enjoyed it and welcome to the blog!

May Ng July 21, 2011 at 8:44 am

How about chocolate-orange blizzard? or even more exotic one, black sesame green tea blizzard?

Kelli R July 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Hi Angela, I found your site a few months ago and I love it! Such creative, healthy recipes. I made the peanut butter blizzard tonight and it was amazing. (I doubled the recipe for the balls so I will have plenty made for future blizzards- plus they’re awesome on their own.) Please keep the recipes coming. I’ve already bought all the ingredients for the summer salad and will be making that tomorrow.

Rachel May 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

For the balls, when do you add the peanut butter to the mixture? The same time as the vanilla/syrup?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm

at the very end, I just pulse them in or just stir them in crumbled up. Enjoy!

Rachel May 2, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Not the peanuts, i mean the 3 tablespoons of peanut-butter listed in the recipe.. I am sorry to be a nit-pick! Earlier this week I had a bad experience with a vegan cookie recipe and I really kick myself if I forget something/mess up a dough! Thank you for any help :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2012 at 7:15 am

Oh sorry I mis-read your question!!
Yes you add it in with the vanilla and maple syrup. I will add that into the recipe!

Katie August 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I vote Mint Chocolate Chip or Pumpkin pie “blizzard” mmmm! The Strawberry Cheesecake one sounds good too! Oh, andI just tried the banana soft serve today…& now I’m going bananas for it! Literally! Thanks for the idea :-)

Kate November 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

Angela, I’m dying to know more about these spoons. Can you tell me what brand/line they are?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thank you Kate! They are from William Ashley, but from 2008 so Im not sure they are still there.

Kate November 28, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Thank you so much! It appears to be Sambonet Bamboo. :)

Gabrielle January 6, 2013 at 7:42 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I had a vegan over for a dinner party, so I wanted to make a dessert he could enjoy as well, and lets just say everyone loved it! I’m not a vegan, but I would definitely make this again, it was amazing!

Fiona November 9, 2013 at 12:31 am

Oh this was so good! I left out the chocolate chips, peanuts, and rice cereal because I didn’t have them and used ww pastry flour. So good in the banana soft serve! Thanks for an amazing and super easy recipe!

Melissa February 6, 2014 at 8:51 am

The display image for this is the veggie burger

Kimberly February 27, 2014 at 2:14 pm

May I say, you are not only a talented Vegan creationist but an amazing writer. I love reading your blogs, especially all the parts with you and Eric from that July when you were “too busy pushing Eric into the snakes so you could save yourself from imminent death” (LOL) and the short, sweet conversation between you guys after he tried the Rosemary-Lemon Burgers! LOL. You two are just the sweetest, balls of sunshine that always lights up my day. It really doesn’t get any better than cooking incredible, healthy meals while laughing at all the humor and wit in between. Awww….life’s simple pleasures!

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/07/03/spicy-bbq-chickpea-burgers-lightened-up-crispy-baked-fries/#ixzz2uYClLXlPreaction to your Rosemary-Lemon Burgers and you taking his Oh-hah as a fail. You guys are just too funny and I love your writing as much as I love your recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2014 at 8:27 am

haha thank you Kimberly!!

Kathleen Campbell April 1, 2014 at 12:16 am

Oh my goodness. I didn’t not expect these to be THIS good. Who needs dairy queen when you can make your own blizzard at home!! I had to try this recipe to believe it, I couldn’t believe you could have creamy soft serve ice cream out of just bananas, but it’s true! And it’s delicious! Thank you for introducing this into my life!!! (PS the one thing I would say that you could add to all your recipes that would be SUPER helpful is prep/bake time.)

Traci April 25, 2014 at 4:24 pm

How about a ginger snap or molasses crinkle cookie blizzard? Or snickerdoodle. Just thinking how my favorite cookies could translate into a frozen treat!