Crazy Mother Nature!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 18, 2011

A couple weeks ago, Ontario had a burst of severe thunderstorms throughout the week. We missed them in our neck of the woods, but they weren’t so kind to those around us.

My in-laws, who live in Eastern Ontario, went out to run some errands and they came back to discover that one of the largest trees in their yard- approx. 180 years old– had completely fallen over….huge roots and all. It was my favourite tree on their lot! It grew right on the edge of the water so I guess that made it a bit more vulnerable and unstable.

Here are some crazy photos of the aftermath…

100_1910

100_1888

100_1901

Ouch!

100_1884

To give some perspective, check out this picture of my father-in-law Ken standing in front of it.

100_1905

Despite the tree falling onto the house, amazingly, the tree didn’t break one window or damage the roof. Now that is lucky. I think they had a bit of damage to the eaves trough and parts of the deck.

100_1903

You can see how close it got to the windows….yikes!

100_1877

Thankfully they weren’t outside when it happened…or even in the house. I can only imagine what their poor cats were thinking.

On the deck:

100_1912

Needless to say it took a whole crew to cut it all up and remove the tree.

100_1875

Have you ever found yourself in the middle of storm debris or even a natural disaster?

Page 2 of 2«12
Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 19, 2011 at 12:46 am

Wow, that’s crazy! I’ve never been in a storm like that (don’t get too many out here in California), and I can’t imagine how scary that would be. Thank goodness everyone is okay and it didn’t damage the house!

Hayley @ Oat Couture June 19, 2011 at 1:01 am

Wow thats crazy!! So lucky that there was no damage to the house, or that someone wasn’t hurt! We have terrible crazy thunderstorms here in Cyprus, the worst i’ve ever seen, lots of buildings get fried by lightening but so far (touch wood!) we have never been affected! Mother natures one scary biizzattch!! :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 19, 2011 at 2:24 am

Oh my goodness, that tree is enormous! Good thing your in-laws and their home were unharmed for the most part!

ellalinea June 19, 2011 at 5:24 am

Oh dear, that’s a three!

I got into a typhoon once in the philippines, when I was there for modeling.. Scariest experience ever!!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 19, 2011 at 6:06 am

Oh my gosh, this is crazy! 8O I haven’t been in the middle of such a disaster myself, but my thesis supervisor almost died in the earthquake in Christchurch in February because he was in the cathedral when the quake occurred, and it was very shocking to know that a person I’ve been knowing for some time now and like a lot had been on the edge between life and death.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 19, 2011 at 7:01 am

Oh wow, they are lucky! That tree is gigantic! Our property has a lot of old, big trees (not quite that big but close) and I’m always nervous in a thunder storm that one of them is going to fall on our cars or house.

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming June 19, 2011 at 8:22 am

That tree is gorgeous! I’m so glad your family is safe and minimal damage was done to the property.

LizAshlee June 19, 2011 at 8:31 am

Thank goodness no one was around and it didn’t cause anymore damage!!

I fortunately have never been caught in a natural disaster…severe conditions…lots of snow or rain…but not a natural disaster and I would like to keep it that way!! :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 19, 2011 at 9:09 am

Wow, that is insane that the tree broke! Thank goodness it just missed your window. That would have been a mess.

Jenny June 19, 2011 at 10:30 am

I grew up in various countries in South East Asia, so I’ve experienced countless natural disasters – in all shapes and forms. I was vacationing in Phuket, Thailand with my family when the “Christmas tsunami” hit in 2004… Phuket was badly hit, although there were obviously other parts of Thailand that had it worse. I was also living in Manila, the Philippines when Typhoon Milenyo hit in 2006, and was back there to visit my family when Typhoon Ondoy hit in 2009… I was studying abroad in Fukuoka, Japan during the 2005 Fukuoka earthquake. I was supposed to visit a friend in Fukushima in March this year – when the Touhoku Earthquake hit – but ended up not being able to go… Otherwise that would’ve been another one to the list.

It takes a really big storm to faze me now! Although, that is a big tree, ahah. I can’t imagine the damage it would’ve done to that side of the house if it had stood just a little bit closer… Good thing no one was hurt! And hopefully their cats weren’t too horrified!

Have a great Sunday. :)

Amber K June 19, 2011 at 11:06 am

I feel very blessed living in Oregon because I have never experienced anything even close to that. So sorry for your family!

Liza June 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Hurricane Katrina. Mother Nature is TOTALLY crazy!

Melissa June 19, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Wow! That is crazy!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 19, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Oh My Gosh. How terrible!!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Insane!! Good thing that it was far enough away from the house eh?

My cousins live in Leamington and remember when they got that big tornado last year that ripped through? Well they lost EVERY tree in their yard. It sucked.

Annika June 20, 2011 at 5:13 am

What a magnificent tree that was. And how lucky you were! That photo with the view from your window is scary!

Caitlin June 20, 2011 at 10:15 am

omigosh- that is SO scary! luckily no one was near it OR injured AND it didn’t cause any structural damage to the house! wowwww…

Kristen June 20, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Wow. I was just saying a few weeks ago how I wanted to move to Canada because I didn’t think you guys had weather like that at all. I live in Missouri and we have had to go to our basement because of tornado warnings 7 times in the past 6 months. I’m a little sick of it! I’m so glad everything is OK with your in-laws!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm

We had a tree about that size fall on one of our friends’ tents while camping one year during a storm. Luckily our friend got out of the tent about 35 seconds prior to the tree falling. It was scary!