Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 15, 2011

IMG_7594

Monday was my mom’s last day here so I treated her to a manicure for Mother’s Day and also made her a special meal by request. In return, she organized the back hall closet and laundry room for me. I think she is trying to shape me into a civilized home owner. ;) It was an offer I couldn’t refuse!

After some careful consideration on my recipes page, she decided on my Mushroom Barley Risotto. [On the weekend, she also chose 15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta]- two very good choices!

We picked up a few groceries and also Eric at the train station.

IMG_0670

Then I got busy in the kitchen…!

IMG_7574

I must have inherited my mom’s love for mushrooms because I can’t get enough of them lately. I never used to like them growing up (I only liked the canned variety), but now I just love most kinds of fresh mushrooms.

9-2-of-9

When you have a local mushroom farm nearby, it only makes sense to learn to love ‘em!

9-9-of-9

Mushrooms are also quite healthy too!

According to Alive Magazine, mushrooms are:

• High in antioxidants: Cremini and Portabella mushrooms have antioxidant levels comparable to that of broccoli, red peppers, and carrots.
  • Immunity Boosters: Mushrooms appear to stimulate the immune system, including T and B cells, macrophages, and natural killer cells.
  • Phytochemical rich: Phytochemicals are thought to have an anticancer effect in some research.
  • Rich in dietary fibre, riboflavin, Vitamin D, and niacin.

9-7-of-17

[In case you missed it last summer, check out the Portabella mushroom recipe challenge I participated in where I made Easy Stuffed Portabella Pizza in a Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce.]

Next, I made Cheezy Garlic Bread inspired by the garlic bread in Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan. I sliced a multi-grain baguette in half, spread on some Earth Balance, and then sprinkled it with garlic powder, kosher salt, and nutritional yeast. I placed it in the oven on low broil for a couple minutes until crisp. It turned out great!

IMG_7595-2

I also sautéed some broccoli in a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar until just tender.

IMG_7596

With Cave Springs white wine from Niagara region.

IMG_7597

I love that this mock ‘risotto’ recipe is made with pearled barley…it really does amp up the nutrition and satiety factor.

Check out our dining room GLOW!

IMG_7598

For dessert, we split the last two Chocolate Cupcakes…so sad to see those go. Eric and my mom just rave about those cupcakes! I will be making those for guests again real soon.

Peace out!

Page 2 of 2«12
birdie to be June 15, 2011 at 11:05 am

This looks delish! Thanks for sharing

Amber K June 15, 2011 at 11:34 am

I wish I could get myself to like mushrooms because they are quite healthy! But the taste and texture is just so awful to me. Especially when people use them as a vegetarian option, because they always try to make it taste meaty and the main reason I don’t eat meat is the awful, awful taste!

Sarah June 15, 2011 at 11:36 am

I would feel really pampered if someone would make this meal for me- you and your mother certainly know how to take care of each other!

Katie June 15, 2011 at 11:45 am

Your dining room and the meal both look fantastic!

Hayley @ Oat Couture June 15, 2011 at 12:07 pm

That looks great! I Love mushrooms so end up adding them to pretty much everything! :) I’m yet to try nutritional yeast but keep hearing good things about it. Your dining room loves fab as well! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Thank you!

Christina @ According To C June 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I LOVE mushrooms. And I LOVE Cave Springs wine. Sadly, cannot have either right now, as I’m trying to fight an overgrowth of candida.
But I’m putting this on my list of things to make when I’m able!

Rhona June 15, 2011 at 12:54 pm

That orange glow is so very pretty! I must admit that I HATED mushrooms until last year. I thought the texture was funny. But, now that I am vegan, I find I can’t get enough. It is so funny because veggies I would not let cross my lips in the past are now part of my weekly rotation. Funny how that works right? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I have a lot of those experiences with certain veggies too!

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 15, 2011 at 1:47 pm

You have a local mushroom farm near you?!?! I would sneak in there at night and fill up baskets of mushrooms! hehe.. jk… kind of…

Kris June 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Did Eric really eat the muchrooms too? ;)

xoxo

Kris June 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm

*Mushrooms….really I can spell!

Rachel June 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Looks great! Next time you make garlic bread, try fresh garlic! So much better than garlic powder. Just mix it in with the earth balance and then spread on :-)

kris (everyday oats) June 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm

oooh, this looks like something I could make for my family. Yum!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That’s a cool shot of your dining room glow.

“I never used to like them growing up (I only liked the canned variety), but now I just love most kinds of fresh mushrooms. “– I never used to like them growing up b/c it was one of those foods my mom didnt like and never served them and I didnt realize how much I dig them til my early adulthood.

I love the looks of your recipe!

The pic of you stirring the pot…nice hair, nice biceps. Lookin’ good there girlie :)

Alexa @ Simple Eats June 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I could eat mushrooms AND barley all the time…so this one’s definitely a win!

Moni'sMeals June 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

It all looks so INCREDIBLE! I like mushrooms and together with barely it is a killer combo. :)

thehealthyapron June 15, 2011 at 3:35 pm

What a tasty looking dinner! Yum!

vivoir June 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm

you know my second-worst food? (after minced meat- it’s a texture thing!) mushrooms

i want to ‘like’ them, i really do! and recipes like this make me think i will… then i eat one and, ugggggggh! i really need to shake that off don’t i?!!

check my recent post- i need some ideas on seed-additions!!

Stephenie Zamora June 15, 2011 at 4:45 pm

This looks delicious… and I LOVE the idea for the cheezy garlic bread! Will be trying! xo

LizAshlee June 15, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Beautiful dining set-up…just gorgeous! :)

Jen June 15, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I absolutely love mushrooms! Especially when they are roasted in the oven, there’s just something about the way they taste after being cooked. I can’t explain it, haha. I can’t get enough of those ‘shrooms! :)

I’ll have to try your mushroom risotto recipe out one of these days soon!

Victoria June 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Looks Delish! I’ve been thinking of doing a dairy-free risotto for a while for my blog www.glutendairyfreedom.net and you have inspired me!

Aja June 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Mushrooms = yum. They are always good. I’ll have to try this sometime.

[email protected] June 15, 2011 at 6:27 pm

That meal looks fantastic!! I’ll have to try that barley risotto- I’m crazy about mushrooms :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I remember reading that article in Alive magazine – I was surprised that mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D! I never knew that. Good thing I love mushrooms! :D

katie June 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm

gorgeous spread, and the table really does seem to glow! glad you had such a nice time with your mom. It’s so bittersweet (just bitter?) to leave family no matter how old I seem to grow.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 15, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I used to love canned mushrooms too! They were (also) the only mushroom I’d eat. I tried a couple a week or so ago and nearly died with how tasteless they were.
This dish looks so warm and delicious. Perfect for all the rainy gloomy days we’ve been having

Marit June 16, 2011 at 7:10 am

I LOOOOVE Barley!
I am so going to try this as soon as i can!

ashley @ cooking for john June 16, 2011 at 11:21 pm

i love mushrooms too, my favorite way to eat them is in a delicious and vegan mushroom gravy! yummy!

that last shot of your dining room is gorgeous, love the colors! :)

Audrey June 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I think that’s so cool that you actually go to a train station! I wish we had passenger trains where I lived.

I absolutely love your orange dining room. That was a bold choice but it is BEAUTIFUL!

Tess July 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I made this over the weekend and it was delicious!

Laura December 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Angela, I found your website last summer while looking for vegan recipes. I tried the mushroom risotto this weekend. I thought about your comment on the toughness of the barley. So I used dried mushrooms, portobello and shitake, and also soaked the barley in the mushroom water for at least an hour. Then I used the mushroom water, and a little extra water, to cook the risotto, instead of the broth. I did as you did and used a combination of steaming and cooking with the top off. It was terrific. Many thanks, and Happy New Year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Happy New Year Laura! Thanks for your feedback :)