Family Love

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 11, 2011

The name of the game before mom arrives?

Clean House :)

img-7734

Eric is a big list guy so he always makes a big list for us to cross off when we do a big top-to-bottom house clean. It always makes me laugh when he gives me a list!

IMG_7292

Mom was very impressed with the renos we’ve done since her last visit!

IMG_7337

Earlier in the day, we had a lovely visit with Grandpa and Diane when we picked up my mom (she was staying there for a few days).

IMG_7296

My Grandpa continues to stay very positive with his Leukemia battle. He’s had a very rough go with a chemo drug called Valcade, so he’s off of it for the time being. The drug gave him extreme leg pain and he lost about 15 pounds while on it. Not a very fun way to live! Since he’s been off it, he has regained about 10 pounds and his leg pain has improved about 40%. He is still on another chemo drug (can’t remember the name) that doesn’t have as many side effects.

Despite all this, he is always positive and staying active. He’s a fighter!

IMG_7300

DSC01063

A couple group shots…

IMG_7302

DSC01072

IMG_7303

After our visit, we met my Grammy and Harry for lunch. It was a beautiful day so we sat outside!

IMG_7318

Cuties!

IMG_7319

Eric enjoyed beer because I was the driver yesterday. :)

IMG_7308

Mom and I had green tea.

IMG_7315

Meals were enjoyed…

IMG_7323

IMG_7324

IMG_7325

IMG_7329

The North Restaurant is by no means a vegan-friendly restaurant, but the chef said he could make me a stir-fry that was vegan. I asked for brown rice and a vegan protein along with the stir-fry, but no such luck….just veggies came out!

IMG_7330

It was beautiful, but not very filling for my growling stomach. Luckily, I packed a high-protein Renew Glo Bar and apple + PB in my purse because I anticipated post-restaurant hunger. I dream of the day when restaurants are more vegan-friendly…until then, I make do with what I can!

This morning, I was the first one up around 7am, so I headed out for a quick run while the beauties slept. We’re supposed to get T-storms all day, but I was happy to see that it was just cloudy this morning instead of rain.

IMG_7278

I picked up this Power Y tank after so many of you recommended it in my workout clothes post. I’m in love with it…I also love that it is one of their cheapest tanks. It doesn’t have much support though, so I wear the Flow Y bra underneath when running.

IMG_2295

Umm..don’t mind my weird alien expression…it takes me about a mile before I wake up in the morning!

IMG_7353

I ran a 3-mile progressive negative split (<—info) and I told myself I was running a race to make it more interesting!

• Mile 1 = 8:36
  • Mile 2 = 8:26
  • Mile 3 = 8:13

I just love fast & short runs. I’m thinking of signing up for my very first 5k race soon! I think this will be the summer of short distance races, perhaps…

When I returned the sleeping beauties were awake and we made breakfast. Mom and I both thought a Green Monster would hit the spot…

IMG_7347

I made us a berry banana GM with lots of chia seeds and spinach.

IMG_7339

For two servings: 3 handfuls spinach, 2 cups almond milk, 3/4 cup frozen berries (cherries, strawberries), 2 tbsp chia seeds, 2 frozen bananas, protein powder.

Yummerz.

IMG_7344

I photographed them on our new tablerunner & napkins that mom got us from Crate & Barrel. :) They match our orange dining room really well. :)

I think we’re off to do a bit of gardening before the storms move in…see ya soon!

Page 2 of 2«12
[email protected] June 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Beautiful and happy people :-)

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Those glasses you’re drinking the GMs in look like how I like to enjoy my smoothies! It’s a small ~8oz glass that was probably a jar in a former life. I think I naturally might run negative splits – the first mile for me is terrible and then I fall into a groove. I’ve never run more than like 3.5 miles though :P

danielle June 11, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I have a question…how much do you and your husband eat out/wk? i am trying to cut back and I am curious!
Thanks:)
Danielle

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Rarely…they arent many good restaurants nearby so that makes it very easy! :) Eric eats out for lunch at work though.
Now if we lived in an area with great restaurants though, I would say we’d go out to eat once a week. :)

kris (everyday oats) June 11, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I love spending time with the family! Hope you’re enjoying your time with your mom!

Great photos btw!

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 11, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I’m jealous of your beautiful family! And those green smoothies!!!!!
P.S. Your grandpa looks great! :-)

Ariane June 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I haven’t been able to keep up with my fave blogs too much since I started my new job, so today was my first day here in soooo long! :(
1. The first thing I said to myself was “oh my gosh I forgot how pretty she is!” You’re so pretty!
2. I forgot how much I love green monsters. They’re definitely going to make a comeback into my life soon.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011 at 8:19 pm

you are too sweet!
Yes GMs are great, esp in the summer….ahhhh

Heather (Faces of Beauty) June 11, 2011 at 6:43 pm

what a fun time with your family! i’m so glad that your grandfather is fighting so hard…he looks like he’s truly finding joy in life despite the circumstances!

[email protected] June 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Good to hear your grandpa is positive. He is an inspiration!

stella ~ shiny yoga* June 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm

oh wowser, that berry banana GM sounds a-mah-zing!!! xx

Angela June 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Glad to hear that you are spending some quality time with your family. Random question: Have you ever done a post about running first thing in the morning? (if you eat something before, stretching, tips for getting up early enough etc.) I’m afraid my new work schedule is going to force me to fit in my runs in the morning and I’ve always run in the late afternoon. Any suggestions? THANKS!!
(Oh, and I just have to say that though I don’t comment often, I love your blog! It was one of the first blogs I ever started reading and it’s still the best)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Hey Angela! Thanks for your comments :)
I usually have half a banana before a regular distance run (3-5 miles). Anything more than that and I have something a bit more substantial. I find I can run almost immediaately after having half a banana too which is nice. I also like to bring pitted medjool dates if im running over 6 miles.
As for getting up, the only way I can do it is getting into a schedule of going to bed earlier at night. There will often be a few nights/days when you are tiredm but eventually the body will start craving to go to bed earlier. I find this is easier in the summer and MUCH more difficult in the winter/fall! I also find I need less sleep in the summer..right now I get about 7 hours and i feel fine, but in the winter i need about 8.

Have fun :)

Angela June 12, 2011 at 6:20 am

Thanks for these tips!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011 at 7:14 am

NP!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me June 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. That’s tough. But I’m glad he’s feeling a little better. Your kitchen is gorgeous btw. I love it!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) June 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Your family looks so kind! I love it when family comes over…the house always looks so clean afterward.

Jamie June 11, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I am looking into protien powders and I was wondering what kind of protein powder you use and what you would suggest. Please and thank you

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011 at 7:15 am

I use Vega choc-o-lot protein powder right now. Im starting to get sick of it! lol. But it is one of my favs…im not big on many protein powder, but I love that this one is made from pea protein and no artificial sweeteners.

ashley @ cooking for john June 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm

oh my goodness, that tea cup is awesome! i love the linens your mom brought you, so colorful!

Sam @ Mom At The Barre June 12, 2011 at 1:09 am

I just stumbled across your blog while researching green smoothie recipes. How did I not know of your blog before? Such a world of amazing recipes that I cannot wait to try out!

I recently started supplementing green smoothies into my diet, more as a way to ensure getting a decent amount of veggies and fruits daily. It’s working out well so far.

Looking forward to catching up on your earlier posts!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011 at 7:12 am

Thank you Sam!

Barry June 12, 2011 at 6:55 am

Nice photos, the first I have seen of your family. There is great power in a sense of humour and a positive attitude. It is a major part of climbing mountains.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011 at 7:15 am

I bet it is :) We’ll have to go hiking with you soon!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 12, 2011 at 9:08 am

I like your whole running outfit! The top looks comfy + cute. So cool that your mom loves GMs too. Have a great time with your family :)

Mer June 12, 2011 at 9:33 am

Your family is absolutely lovely! Looks like you had a fantastic time!
Question for you: when you run in the morning and it takes you a while to wake up, do you feel that your form suffers or do you have a tip on preventing that? The only time I really have to run is in the morning, but my body seems to take FOREVER to wake up, and I know my form is off, which leads to shin splints, etc.
Thanks!

Sarah June 12, 2011 at 9:58 am

Gorgeous photos!! Those meals look SO delicious!

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming June 12, 2011 at 10:34 am

Amazing photos! Looks like you had a lovely visit :)

I clean too when I have visitors!

Stephanie June 12, 2011 at 10:43 am

I love the cast iron tea pot. It’s so pretty!

Sheena January 25, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Lovely! You have a beautiful family, thanks for sharing.