Know Your Roots Salad & June Goals

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 2, 2011

IMG_6849-3

Good morning to you!

On Tuesday night, I made Kath’s Know Your Roots Salad which features golden beets, wheatberries, sunflower seeds, beet greens, and sweet potato. Eric and I both went crazy over it. Golden beets are one of my favourite vegetables! If you have not tried them I highly encourage you too. They are sweeter and milder than red beets and even Eric who is not a red beet fan, just loves golden beets.

I made a few modifications based on what I had in my kitchen, but for the most part I stuck to the original recipe.

• I didn’t have any sweet potato, so I used a butternut squash. It went quite well flavour-wise, but I think I would have preferred the sweet potato as it firms up a bit more when roasting and the butternut was mushy.
  • I also used kale instead of the beet greens because my beets were in the fridge for over a week and the greens wilted on me (whoops). The kale was a great sub in a pinch!
  • I added some Navy Beans for some extra protein. Navy beans are great because they blend in well to the flavours in most dishes.
  • I used speltberries instead of wheatberries

The delicious recipe can be found here.

IMG_6853

IMG_6934

June Goals

Thanks for sharing your goals in yesterday’s post! I enjoyed reading them. I’ve come up with a few goals myself.

Goal #1: Core Work via Whittle My Middle, TWICE a week

I’m bringing back Whittle My Middle core work into my workout routine on a regular basis. I’ve been doing it on and off all Spring, but I really want to get consistent and stick with it.

My goal is to do Whittle my Middle twice a week. Each session takes about 7 minutes of actual core work. I like to rest about 30 seconds in between exercises if necessary. I grab my Garmin and time each exercise.

Here are the exercises I will be doing twice a week:

1) Front Plank with fully extended arms: 60 seconds

Plank

[source]

2) Side plank with bent arm: 60 seconds per side

side-plank-reachunder1

[source]

3) Torso Twists (see here for instructions) 60 seconds

516

Note. Instead of a medicine ball you can use hand weights or a large soup can/other heavy object.

4) Plank-Ups: 60 seconds

Start in plank position on forearms, legs extended behind you, resting on toes; raise right leg a few inches off ground, toes out (as shown). Keeping leg lifted, straighten right arm, then left, coming into a raised push-up position. Reverse motion to return to plank. Repeat, alternating lead arms.

Note: If this exercise is too difficult for you, try keeping you leg on the ground and just focus on raising and lowering your arms.

one-month-slimdown-03-fiss296

[Source]

5) Boat Pose: 60 seconds

Begin in a seated position with your knees bent and your feet resting lightly on the ground as you balance on your sit bones. With your core engaged, lengthen through your torso and recline slightly, avoiding any rounding of your back. Extend your arms straight out in front of you, then extend your legs, creating a V-shape with your torso and legs. Breathe comfortably throughout the move.

Note: Instead of just staying still the whole time, I prefer to bring my knees in to my chest and extending them back into boat pose (one rep, hold for 1-2 secs), all while keeping my feet off the ground. I find this challenges the abs more as you have to stay balanced while moving.

wm-el-boat

[Source]

6) Bicycle Crunches: 60 seconds

biabz

I did this workout after my cardio this morning and my abs wept! I admit, I couldn’t do the full 60 seconds for a couple of the exercises, but I hope to get stronger as I go. As long as my abs are weeping, I will be improving. :)

Be sure to always consult your doctor before beginning any workout routine to make sure it is right for you!

Goal #2: Hot Yoga 1-2 times per week

My $40 unlimited monthly pass is almost up at my Moksha studio, which unfortunately means that I won’t be able to go to yoga as frequently as I have been going because it is so expensive! When the intro pass runs out, I hope to go 1-2 times per week, as my budget allows.

Goal #3: Try Spinning Again

In university, I took a couple 3-month spinning classes and I just loved them! My current gym offers spinning so I really want to try it out again and see if it’s something I’d like to add into my routine. I would love to do spinning once a week if I still enjoy it.

Goal #4: Structured meals and Limit snacking

As I mentioned yesterday, I did not accomplish this goal in May. I snack a lot and I really want to break this habit and focus on having larger structured meals, instead of smaller ones that leave me hungry in an hour or two! Along the same line, I need to make the time for proper sit down meals. I often eat lunch in a matter of minutes, or even while standing up when I’m busy (so bad!), and I really need to break this habit. Has anyone transitioned from several smaller meals & snacks to 3 squares a day + 1 snack? I’d love to hear your tips!

~~~

Well, those are my goals for June…I hope it is a great month! It’s such a love-hate relationship, but I feel so strong when I’m rocking out the core work. A strong core also helps with everyday activities and will help prevent lower back pain that I sometimes get from sitting at my desk. Let me know if you’d like to join me!

Page 3 of 3«123
chi June 3, 2011 at 4:28 am

wowzers, that last plank sequence looks killa illa! maybe one day i can build to that (i have terrible back from car accident). i have a question, that may seem a lil “beginners” – there is no description of the bicycle crunch exercise… how quickly or how slowly do you move through that? how many reps, etc?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 3, 2011 at 9:37 am

I believe slow and controlled is usually the way to go with most ab moves. You can do as many as you can. I like to work up to 60 seconds.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 3, 2011 at 5:42 am

WOW! You have set some amazing goals for June! Good luck with those! :)

Jennifer Drummond June 3, 2011 at 6:32 am

Hi Angela,

I eat 3 meals a day, but the snacking is hard! I made a new rule for myself a couple of weeks ago, no eating after six or no eating 3 hours before I go to bed. So if I snack at 7pm, I can’t got to bed till 10pm. I found my endless snacking of granola, made me gain 5lbs in 2 weeks. I had what is know as an alien baby, a hard bump in the middle of my stomach, all from mindless eating of granola.

I started back up on my core exercises too. My abs were looking good and then I slacked, but now I am back at it again. I love to do Jackie’ Warners Extreme Ab workout. It’s 15 minutes standing and 15 minutes of mat work. When I do her workout, even for 15 minutes, I always see results the next day, you should look into it!

Have a great weekend and happy gardening!!

Kim {Recipes To Run On} June 3, 2011 at 6:41 am

So happy to have found your site! Looking forward to being a regular reader. I’ve just recently started working on my core. It’s very weak! Looking forward to building a stronger base.

Pure2raw twins June 3, 2011 at 7:14 am

I miss hot yoga. I hope to get back into soon.

Love working my core! Planks are great and boat pose is killer, haha

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers June 3, 2011 at 7:24 am

Those are great goals. They seem positive and attainable. Go for it! :)

[email protected]"N"OATS June 3, 2011 at 7:57 am

ahh im eager to hear how you manage to stick to goal #4 because i have a horrible problem with this. I am such a snacker that by the time i’m done snacking theres no room for meals either that or–like you– I ‘ll eat standing up,in front of the computer, or reading the newspaper.

LizAshlee June 3, 2011 at 8:42 am

I think it SO important to have more structured meals and this is also one of my goals. It seems like lately, with all of the baking & taste testing, I have been snacking too much & not having enough balanced meals. I feel so much BETTER when I limit my snackin’ and have balanced meals!

When I am more aware of what I am putting in my mouth rather than just eating, eating, eating, everything works out much better! I think it is all about being conscientious!

Happy Friday!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011 at 7:55 am

Totally agree with you!

trish June 3, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Hot yoga is a bit pricey. If you have Groupon and/or Living Social in your area – sign up – your hot yoga studio may offer deals through these companies. I was able to get a couple deals for my local Bikram studio through both LS and Groupon.

Jess @ Fit Chick in the City June 4, 2011 at 6:14 am

I’m actually working on making the transition from grazing all day long to 3 meals and one snack. It’s been harder than I anticipated it to be. However, what’s helped is making sure I start off with a bigger than normal breakfast. That helps me set the tone for the rest of the day an not feel like I need to eat again before lunch. I’m still trying to figure out how to master this so I look forward to seeing what works for you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011 at 7:54 am

I’m glad Im not alone! It is quite difficult…especially, I find when working from home(and being a baker to boot!). I’m confident it can be done though. Yesterday, I upped my water intake. I also drank a large glass of water before each meal (something I hadnt been doing). It helped a bit, but didn’t magically make it easy. My hardest time is the afternoon. I think I need to experiment with bigger lunches and more protein.

It also makes sense to me that my morning and lunch hours should have the most calories because that’s when I workout!

Kath June 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Looks delicious!! I need to make that again – if I can find golden beets soon!!

Alex June 14, 2013 at 8:34 am

Nice information. I Like it.