Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Breakfast Cereal

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 6, 2011

Check out what arrived this week…

IMG_0280

2.5 cubic yards of triple mix soil for the veggie garden. :) Thrilling, I know.

After weeks of looking at different types of soils, I went with a triple mix from Van Beek’s. It’s made from composted manure, black loam, and sandy topsoil. I couldn’t find ‘certified’ organic anywhere, but the owner said it is organic and assured me that they do not add any chemicals or fertilizers to it. That will have to do!

We used this soil calculator to determine how much soil we needed:

Take the Length (ft) of the area to be covered x Width (ft) x Depth (inches) divided by 12, then again divided by 27 and you have your cubic measurement!

For two 4 foot by 8 foot beds, I calculated our soil need to be about 2.37 cubic yards, so we ordered 2.5.

IMG_0284

[We used this step by step tutorial to build the beds.]

When we filled up the beds it was raining (of course!) and shoveling the soil was like shoveling bricks. What a workout! At least I know that the soil is nice and moist for planting. :)

IMG_0292

The rain sure has made our lawn green though!

I’m going to the nursery tonight to check out the new organic plants that just came in and figure out what I need to buy. So far, I have sketched out a rough plan for both of the beds using this Companion Planting info to guide me. I’m trying to plant veggies with their companion plants, figure out specific spacing/planting requirements, and also how many of each plant I will need.

I also put a compost bin and gardening tools on my Birthday list. How cool am I? :)

IMG_5268

Meet: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cereal– a new breakfast and snack infatuation.

In the cookie bowl: Nature’s Path Spelt cereal, chopped banana, 1 tsp chia seeds, 8-10 mini Chocolate chip cookie dough balls, and non-dairy milk.

It tastes like you are eating a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough for breakfast!

IMG_5271

Another breakfast I’ve been rocking this week…The Mango Banana Green Monster.

IMG_5401

I recently discovered that President’s Choice sells frozen mango chunks. I haven’t had the best experience with some frozen fruit mixes, but this frozen mango is super fresh and sweet. You can nibble on it straight from the bag. :) It is great to keep in the freezer for quick and easy smoothies.

IMG_5160

This week’s favourite mix: 1 cup frozen kale, 1 ripe banana, 1/2-2/3 cup frozen mango chunks, 1.25 cup almond milk, 1/2 scoop wheatgrass powder, 1 tbsp chia seeds.

IMG_5399

So refreshing. :)

IMG_5403

Have a wonderful Friday!

“We are all functioning at a small fraction of our capacity to live fully in its total meaning of loving, caring, creating and adventuring. Consequently, the actual­izing of our potential can become the most exciting adventure of our lifetime.” – Herbert Ottto

Page 3 of 3«123
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I’m planting a garden this weekend too! Thanks for the link to the companion plant list – it really helped!

Tawney (Eat Hike Sleep Repeat) May 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm

My backyard looked like yours last week! This my first year planting a garden so I’m crossing my fingers. I now have a few months of successful wheatgrass growing under my belt, so I am hopeful that at a minimum I get a bowl of strawberries and one stirfry out of the effort. Happy planting!

marla May 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Wow with that cookie dough cereal/snack. Amazes me how much fun we can all have with whole food ingredients. I much prefer this idea to real cookie dough.
Go you with the garden. Love the thought of the workout being lifting that heavy soil.
Have a great weekend.
xo

Molly @ RDexposed May 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Why have I never had a green smoothie?? And I’m pretty jealous of your new soil!

my little celebration May 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Brilliant! I WILL be making these soon :D.

Misti May 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm

1: Love your beginning garden! I miss mine, I’m off on a work project and away for a few months.
2: I am living in a hotel while on this work project and now I am thinking I need to buy a blender because the green monsters are looking good! I am attempting to go veg for the whole two months and some day just aren’t so good. A green monster would cheer me up for sure! And that cereal—mmm!

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit May 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Sounds like my week! Our garden beds are in and the composted has been built and is starting to be used, now I just need soil so that my seedlings can leave the greenhouse and really flourish!

Just out of curiosity though, why the insistence on growing only organic produce while shopping for PC frozen mango? I’m always curious about people’s local bs. Organic opinions!

[email protected] May 6, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I recently tried frozen mango as well! I think mango and strawberries are the best freezer fruits.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 6, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I haven’t had the greatest luck with frozen fruit either. The President’s Choice frozen raspberries and frozen mixed berries really don’t defrost well!

That’s exciting to see the garden coming along!

Christina May 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Super exciting about the raised plant beds, I need to get started on my own (container) garden soon! Just wondering if you were able to find a triple mix with plant manure and if not, were you at all concerned with using animal manure in your food garden?

The frozen mango reminds me that I found frozen cherries at Costco recently and I wanted to pass that along since they are so hard to find in Canada.

Gina May 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Mango Green Monsters are my absolute favorite! I usually use a frozen banana and then an almost too ripe mango. It comes out perfectly sweet, smooth, and neon which I love!

Lou May 6, 2011 at 9:23 pm

omg i LOVE to have cereal for breakfast and this is just perfect!! i’d probably eat it for snack too haha :) thank you!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat May 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm

That sounds like the best cereal bowl ever! Did it fill you up?

Diana @ frontyardfoodie May 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Compost manure is the best soil for planting tomatoes in! They friggin’ love it.

I’m so excited to see how your garden pans out. I’ve been loving my garden this year because last year I was super pregnant throughout the most work intensive garden season and I couldn’t do very much and even hired the neighbor boy to weed for me but this year has gotten great start!

ellalinea May 7, 2011 at 2:47 am

That breakfast seems like dessert :))

Libby May 7, 2011 at 3:34 am

The beds are coming along nicely, One thing though that I have learned with composting, is to get two composters, so that you can turn the older compost out and keep adding to the new, that way you get the lovely dry compost to garden with instead of it being all moist and still decomposing…

Also mad love for the smoothie, and for the blog, very useful for a new vegan – I am trying to keep as raw as I can but your blog is very inspirational and shows just how fun cooking can be!! :)

Hannah May 7, 2011 at 4:37 am

Best breakfast! I was wondering, as the Green Monster Queen, whether you’d have recommendations for banana-less and mango-less smoothies? Bananas currently cost $2.50-$3 EACH in Australia right now, and mangoes aren’t in season (and we don’t have frozen mangos, at least not that I’ve ever seen!). I’d really love some ideas for a good smoothie without those two fruits, as my efforts have been lacklustre lately!

Morgan May 7, 2011 at 6:37 am

I SO have to make those cookie dough balls. I do have an allergy to tree nuts so I will have to substitute with peanuts and hope I get close to the same result :) *fingers crossed*

Have a beautiful day!!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) May 7, 2011 at 7:04 am

That breakfast has my drooling! WAAAAY better than Cookie Crisp cereal…then again, the cookie dough was always better than the cookies!

Frozen mango is awesome. I love how it has the “banana creamer” effect too.

Jessie May 7, 2011 at 7:12 am

I want to make a double compost bin for mother’s day, but my husband hasn’t asked what I wanted, so I’m just hoping he will ask that day and we can run and get some lumber! Right now I’m waiting for some fresh compost and my beds to dry out before I can plant . . . I’m not a patient person :(

Good Luck on your garden!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

That sounds so so yummy!! I love the idea of using those “balls” in the cereal, I wonder how it would taste with a broken up cookie dough larabar?!

VEGirl May 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm

What a great idea! Chocolate chips at breakfast are always a hit :) Thanks for the quote btw, very inspiring!

mariah (pictures pups and pies) May 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm

my husband saw the title of this blog today and said, “Babe, make that for breakfast!” It does sound delicious…. chocolate chip cookie dough breakfast cereal! THANKS- can’t wait to try it.

Cassie (A Pinch of Cassafras) May 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hi Angela! I’ve been lurking around here for a while and was finally encouraged to comment and even start my own blog! But that’s besides the point! I’m so jealous of the beds you’ve made! If I had the room, I would do exactly the same.
Also, that breakfast sounds amazing and will be the next recipe of yours that I try.
I finally tried VOO and I LOVED it! It was amazing with banana and strawberry soft serve. YUM!

Thanks for all the amazing posts! :D

Alex @ Healing Beauty May 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm

The breakfast cereal looks like it came from heaven. Can’t wait to try it! J’adore les mangues!

Livvy May 7, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Angela-AHHH!! You are totally KILLING me with your incredible, amazing, over-the-moon FANTASTIC RECIPES!!! (I’m attempting to make my very own homemade coconut butter tonight-I’m like you and can’t seem to get enough of Artisana’s brand!) (which btw, is SO AMAZING and your homemade toast breakfast with the coconut butta looks BOMB!) annyway, I love this healthy cookie dough bowl idea; SUCH a great one and I can’t wait to try it!! (probably over chocolate cheerios this monday though!) yay yay yay! annnd also, the smoothie looks so great! I love green smoothies and happen to have some frozen mango in the freezer that’s been there for EVVAA’! So I can’t wait to use it up! does frozen kale really make a difference? I’m definitely going to try freezing mine; I would have never thought of that!! Well I hope this wasn’t an obnoxiously long comment; I really do just love your blog and feel like my comments could never do it justice! xoxo

Angel7 May 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Mary, Mary, how does your garden grow? :) It looks great thus far!

That cereal looks heavenly!!! I love, love, love cookie dough!!!

Amy May 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Oh YUM! That blizzard looks amazing!!! I make my own almond milk using raw almonds and water in my Vitamix. Do you think all the leftover almond meal I have in my freezer would work in place of the cashews in your cookie dough recipe? I think I’m going to try it! :)

Ragnhild May 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

Hi Angela :)
I notice this isnt the right post to comment this on, but I need to do it anyway :)
Im a 23 year old girl, vegetarianer from I was 12, and vegan since I turned 18, and I have struggled with eating since i was 12. Although I wont say I have a ED at the moment (I used to binge, starve myselfe, overtrain when I was younger), I still have a really messed-up relationship with food. I want to show myself that my body is trustworthy, but I keep making “plans” (only raw food, only macrobiotic ++), instead of listning to my body.

I have decided that I WANT to start really listening to my body- I know it knows whats best, and I have started to see my psychologist again. I never knew it was going to be SO hard! I have only worked with it for the past few weeks, and some mornings I just cant get up because it scares me so much not to have a food plan. Obviously Im still vegan (Im that for so many other reason too, not just healt), but not being “all raw” or what ever, makes me so scared to make mistakes.

Anyway, I have a long long way to go, but I have found reading this kind of health blogs so helpful. I have a few favorites that really helps me see that it is possible to make my realationship with food good and healthy again. And you a one of the girls I admire the most! You are such an inspiration to me, and I just want to thank you so much!

Thank you thank you thank you! Really!

I wish you a really good day:D

Ragnhild

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 9, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thank you so much! I wish you all the best with your journey.

Beth May 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I have been thinking about these chocolate chip cookie balls and banana soft serve since this post. Today I bought a bunch of extra bananas that I will hide from my husband so he doesn’t eat them just for the banana soft serve! And I’ll make the chocolate chip cookie balls to go on them. Can’t wait!

Amber Schaefer May 11, 2011 at 3:23 am

THAT LOOKS AMAZING!! I’m going to have to try this ASAP! Also, how much cereal did you use?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

mm maybe 1 cup or a bit more?

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 11, 2011 at 9:18 am

A bowl of cookie dough for breakfast?? I’m in!!

Kristi May 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hi Angela,

I absolutely loved the cereal bowl idea! I must admit– not only does it feel like a treat for breakfast (cookie dough balls?!), it is very satisfying, too! I made cherry coconut amaretto cookie dough balls to top my cereal with. Yum, yum, yum! I’m also a fan of this particular green monster as well. It’s perfectly refreshing, and right on par with the spring-like weather we’re having in the SF Bay Area. I tried it this morning, and I’m hooked.

Thank you so much for your beautiful website! I love your content, and look forward to new posts each and every day! :o)

Cheers~Kristi

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Thanks kristi! Im so happy that you are enjoying the recipes.

Also, random, but you spell your name like my sister…I dont come across too many ‘Kristi’s’!!! ;)

Kristi May 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm