Spring Chick Cupcakes

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 16, 2011

IMG_4473

Cue: awwwwwwww!

Today, Eric and I are off to my brothers for a family get together! I wanted to make my niece some birthday cupcakes for an early birthday celebration so I searched Martha Stewart for some Spring Cupcake ideas. It wasn’t long before I came across her super cute Spring Chick Cupcakes!

My heart melted when I saw them. Red heart

And then I saw how easy they are to make and I loved them even more. And no chicks were harmed in the process. Well, except when I stuffed one in my mouth!

IMG_4488

You won’t BELIEVE how easy these are to make!

What You’ll Need:

• 3-4 cups sweetened shredded coconut (you want the thick shred)
  • 1 batch cupcakes
  • 1 batch frosting
  • Almonds + something black for the eyes (I used cacao nibs). Martha also used red licorice for feet and hair.

Spring Chick Cupcakes

Idea from Martha.

Step 1: Toast about 3-4 cups sweetened coconut at 300F until golden. Remove and set aside. Bake cupcakes (I used my favourite vegan chocolate cupcake recipe) and allow to cool. Once cooled, remove the liner from each.

Step 2: Meanwhile, make the frosting. I used my vegan almond buttercream frosting. Flip cupcake upside down and trim the top so it sits flat on plate. Eat scraps. ;)

Step 3: Frost cupcakes around sides and top. Roll in toasted sweetened coconut and use fingers to cover bare spots.

Step 4: Insert eyes, beak, and feet. I used an almond for the beak and feet and cacao nibs for eyes. See Martha for her suggestions.

IMG_4461

These vegan cupcakes always rise so nicely. I had to trim the top a bit so it would lie flat on the plate. I didn’t mind eating the scraps either. :)

Flip the cupcake so the top is on the bottom of plate. Frost sides and top.

IMG_4470

Roll in toasted and sweetened coconut (thick shreds) and then garnish with a beak, eyes, and feet.

IMG_4480

I can’t handle how cute these are! And I really can’t look at them without laughing. They are a bit homely looking and I love them for that.

They would be really fun to make with kids for Easter too.

IMG_4487

Some of you were asking how my back is doing so I thought I would give a little update. My sciatic nerve is feeling about 80-90% better after two massage therapy sessions. I am also keeping up with stretching, ab planks, and yoga. For my cardio, I have been doing the elliptical 5-6 days a week and also light weight lifting a couple times a week. I am hoping to try running sometime this week to see if I have any pain.

My RMT recommended that I pick up a stability ball to use as a deck chair because my posture is so poor and I always get a ton of shoulder pain. Anyone use one at a desk? Hopefully it helps. :)

Have a great Saturday!

Page 3 of 3«123
Kathy April 17, 2011 at 12:07 am

Cute!!! I would make these…but they’d be gone before you can say, “Cupcakes? Where?” and that wouldn’t be good for my waistline at all….but the cupcakes look so moist<3 my cupcakes are always dried out and have a gas/acid-y taste to them…must mean I have a super powerful oven!
Hope your back gets back to being 100% and all healed soon!

Alison April 17, 2011 at 1:22 am

You are seriously the cutest thing ever!! These are a must to make.
I’m thinking about creating my own blog, and wanted to know if you had any tips. By the way you were the first blog I ever read, and I think I’ve been reading like at least 20 blogs every morning for the past year and a half, but always yours first. You had so many posts that inspired me, and truly look up to you in every way. You are beautiful, motivated, determined, happy, and so creative.You seriously have opened my eyes to alot of things! I’ve always wanted to start a blog but was scared no one would follow or it would be bad or I would eat EVERYTHING I make!! My boyfriend and even my family keeps pushing me to do it but I don’t know where to start!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Hey Alison! Thank you for your very kind words. :) I say go for it! I too wasn’t sure if I would enjoy blogging when I first started up, but it certainly surprised me. If you don’t like it, you can always stop doing it right? I think it is one of those things where you don’t know if it will be a good fit for you until you experiment. I always say write about what you LOVE- if baking isn’t your thing, don’t force it. Do what you are passionate about!
I think I have some more blog tips on my FAQ page here: http://www.ohsheglows.com/FAQ Goodluck! :)

Jane April 17, 2011 at 2:18 am

I knew these little guys looked familiar. I surprised my friend with these little chick cupcakes for her birthday maybe….5 years ago. They were easy to make, very adorable, and delicious! I even made the larger (loaf pan size) one that goes them. I forget if it was a chick or a rabbit. I’m thinking rabbit. So fun and yours turned out great!

Tori April 17, 2011 at 4:53 am

These are so cute. Amazing x

Mariah April 17, 2011 at 6:46 am

these are the cutest things ever!!!!

Chelsa April 17, 2011 at 8:25 am

You are so creative. Those chicks are adorable.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 17, 2011 at 8:46 am

These are soooo cute! They *almost* make me want kids. LOL!

I’ve been thinking about replacing my chair with a stability ball too. Will be interested to see what you think!

Molly April 17, 2011 at 9:14 am

Ugh, I have the worst posture. I should take my stability ball to work. Those chicks are so cute! If only I liked coconut more!

Stephanie April 17, 2011 at 9:14 am

Those are absolutely adorable! You’re inspired me to make some for dessert on Easter. I used to sit on a ball at my desk. I loved it…it let me wiggle and fidget and my neck felt really good. Then my dog bit it. Oh well.

Brittany April 17, 2011 at 9:22 am

I love your Spring Chicks. They are too cute!

I have poor posture as well and have considered taking my stability ball to work but haven’t done it yet. I’ll be interested to know if it helps you!

Halley (Blunder Construction) April 17, 2011 at 9:46 am

These chick cupcakes are so cute! I imagine them alongside some ducks (with lemon zest perhaps)… a stability ball is to have in an office to improve mobility!

Dalai Lina April 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

I bought on of those goofy looking kneeling desk chairs when I developed back issues and it has saved me! Everyone in the family uses it now!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 17, 2011 at 11:42 am

These are too darn cute!! And so yummy looking, I would NOT mind eating the scraps either:))

[email protected] April 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm

omgsh they look adorable! hahha they look so real and like they’re starting at me….

Hilary April 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I have Martha’s cupcake book and have seen these…definitely adorable! I have no experience with stability balls as desk chairs, but something I’d like to try as well!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition April 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Those are beyond adorable! I can’t wait to have little kiddies in my life to make stuff like that for :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm

AWWWWEEEEE!!!! They are SO CUTE!!! :)

laura April 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Adorable! Perfect for spring & easter.

Laura April 17, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Those are adorable!

Nat April 17, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Too cute!

Jo April 17, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is perfect for my 3rd Grade students!! We will make these this Thursday. Thank you!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm

awwww these are so cute!!!

Katy April 17, 2011 at 6:37 pm

During my year of clinical training (I’m a med tech), we had 4 months where we had 8 hours of didactic training (lectures) every day. That’s 4 months of sitting on my rear end at a desk for 40 hours a week. So when my mom sent me a fit ball for my birthday early in the year, I took it to school and sat on it during lectures. Everyone gave me strange looks the first couple of days, but it was SOOO much better than sitting in a chair – and bonus – it gave me freedom to “fidget”, as I’m prone to doing!

P.S. I’m definitely trying your cupcakes – they look DELICIOUS!

Michelle | Gold-hearted Girl April 17, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Those are so adorable! I would love one right now.

Christine (The Raw Project) April 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm

These are so stinking cute, I’ve gotta try them for our Easter gathering!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 17, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Adorable! That looks SO much better than a nasty Peep!

McKayla (Green Groats) April 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Mmm. These look delightful. Just found your blog! I LOVE it. I’m your newest fan!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2011 at 6:55 am

thanks!

Lauri (RedHeadrecipes.com) April 17, 2011 at 9:21 pm

How Fun!!! And delicious ;)

Allison April 17, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I made these today! I saw your post about them and just had to try them! I looked up the recipe on Martha’s website just to see what else I could find, and I ended up making both the Spring Chick Cupcakes and some that have little bluebirds in a nest.

They’re just so cute, and a nice Easter treat that I brought to a family dinner! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Christina April 17, 2011 at 11:26 pm

love love love these!!!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) April 18, 2011 at 8:36 am

omg those are soooo cute!!! I think I might make those for everyone at work :-) Thank you for sharing girl!

Nicole April 18, 2011 at 8:46 am

Hi Angela,

Amazing blog! I’m not much of a cook, but your website is truly inspiring me to try some recipes… my family is wondering what’s wrong with me :)

As for the stability ball; is it supposed to help with upper back and neck pain as well? I’ve been in chronic pain with this since a car accident two years ago and am desperate for help. Chiro and massage help a bit, but sitting at a computer, or in the car, are my two undoings over the course of the day. Anyone? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Roz April 18, 2011 at 8:48 am

VERY VERY VERY cute! Have a good week.

[email protected] 321delish April 18, 2011 at 8:54 am

I just LOL’d and then as I just wrote this I LOL’d for actually writing LOL.

who am I?

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite April 18, 2011 at 10:36 am

Um, these are the cutest cupcakes EVER!!! Love it! Not to mention the abundance of frosting on each one :)

Lou April 19, 2011 at 4:37 am

omgg so cute! too bad my family doesn’t celebrate Easter :(

Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment April 19, 2011 at 8:36 am

So cute!! Someone inevitably brings a “Bunny Cake” to Easter, and this year I’m totally going to make these adorable little chicks to combat the overly-sweet, supermarket frosted confectionary disaster! I love the idea of toasting the coconut – YUM!

Gloria April 23, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I made these today for my nephew’s 1st birthday party! They turned out great :)

Whitney @ She Lives Fit April 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I love these so much!! They definitely make me smile and giggle a bit, too. :) I might have to steal this idea yet sometime this spring… for no particular reason, even….

Thanks for sharing your tasty creations! I recommend more people to YOUR blog than any other. I always love your recipes. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thank you Whitney! They make me laugh too. I love the “homely/rustic” look to them. ahah

Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 20, 2013 at 4:12 am

These are so cute!!!!!!!
I like the almond feetz hehe
And the outside part too–I like coconut everything, one of the top flavors for me along with lemon and blueberry :)