Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 10, 2011

There is a significant increase in Reno happiness when one has four things:

1) Friends to help

2) BEER

3) Warm weather and sun

4) More BEER :)

IMG_0114

We spent all day Saturday outdoors in the gorgeous sunshine and warm weather!  We could not believe our luck because we were planning all-day work on the deck. Usually when we plan anything outside in the Spring it rains!

Not today, not today.

IMG_0112

We also lucked out with a bunch of help from friends and family. Jesse, Shayne, Steve, Joanne, Eric and I tackled the deck for most of the day. We also had a visit from my mother-in-law and niece and nephew too.

Check out our well! This is the first time I have seen it because it hides under the deck.

IMG_0119

We rented a construction bin and filled it with the old deck wood. We spent about 3-4 hours just taking all the scrap wood to the bin. We got such a killer workout, however I think I ‘undid’ my massage from this week. ;)

IMG_0092

The good news is we can keep all of the existing beams that are 4 feet deep in the ground.

IMG_0115

Meet DUKE. :) He is Jesse’s dog.

Duke likes bones.

IMG_0110

Duke, nooooooooo! Don’t eat that!

IMG_0121

Duke went into the forest and came out with this random BONE!!!! Gross!!

The last thing to be removed from the deck was the big staircase.

IMG_0104

We have about 1 month to finish this deck before my birthday party! It is going to be tight because we have the next few weekends booked up.

Eric also saved me this old bench (that he sawed in half) for my outdoor food photography!

IMG_0141

Yay, bench.

IMG_0140

Don’t mind the wobbly leg. It adds character.

After the deck stuff, I got my rake on and raked out the garden again. I find it takes me 2-3 ‘sessions’ to really get it looking good after Winter.

IMG_0124

My goal this Summer is to spend more time on the yard and garden. Last summer, we were so crazy busy that we had no time for anything. This summer is going to be much more relaxed and I can’t wait!

IMG_0126

Today we are off to visit my grandparents. My Grandpa continues to stay strong in his battle with cancer. He has his good days and his bad days, but his positive attitude never ceases to amaze me.

I promised to bring a baked good so I guess I should go figure out what I am going to make! Hmmmm…

Page 2 of 2«12
Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit April 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Love the reno’s and yard work!
My hubby and I are coming onto 12 acres next week and I planted seeds in our little green house yesterday. Hopefully in four weeks I will be able to join you in your pact of spending a lot of time in your yard this summer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm

wow that is amazing! Congrats!

Moni'sMeals April 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Great progress on that deck, BEER is always a good bribe for helpers!

Best of thoughts for your grandpa. Have a nice visit. :)

Varsha April 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Hi Angela,
I simply love your blog (and I’m a carnivore; my mother’s vegetarian though).
Prayers for your grandpa, my cousin battled leukaemia as a young boy.

Hey, I love your renos. It would be really nice if you kept a separate section for ‘RENOS’ like ‘RECIPES’
-Varsha, India

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Thank you Varsha!

Great suggestion. I do have all my renos in a catorgory called ‘Home Renos’ If you look on my right sidebar I have a category drop down list (its HUGE, sorry!) and it will be on there.

Varsha April 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm

oh…thanks :)

[email protected] April 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm

congratulations on all the hard work!!!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Those pictures of you with the bench are just adorable!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I love yard work. Never used to, but once I realized that exercise can be fun and productive, I changed my mind.

Glad to hear your grandpa is in good spirits! That’s very important, so good for the mind and body.

Kaleigh April 10, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I have a chocolate lab named Duke too!!!

and yes. They can find the grossest things when left on their own. My came home once with a dead squirrel as a lovely present.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

oh man!!

Paige @Running Around Normal April 10, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Sounds like a successful day for sure!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 10, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Well done! I am sure it is going to look fab!

Lana April 10, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Wow, y’all have been busy bees! I can’t wait to see what it looks like after the reno’s. If its as good as the rest of the house I have no doubts it will be beautiful!

Sandy April 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm

We have so much yard work to do too. Winter was really hard on all of our trees and we have much hauling and burning of limbs and branches yet to do. I did get the yard part of our property raked and mowed, now I need to get to work on 2 acres of trees so that it is mowable.

Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve April 10, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Quick question: do you have any posts about your decision to go vegan?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Yes I do… Here http://ohsheglows.com/2009/11/18/my-road-to-health-part-vi/ and in my FAQ page I think :)

Natalia - a side of simple April 10, 2011 at 5:11 pm

That sounds like one of the best recipes for success ever :) Oh, maybe throw in a couple of your baked goods in there just for good measure!

Michelle | Gold-hearted Girl April 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Yes, that looks like so much fun! I love spending days like that – at the end of the day, you’ll be exhausted, but oh so happy.

Roz April 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Wow…quite the project. It’s going to be great. Best wishes to your Grandpa!!

[email protected] April 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Looks like a great day! Can’t wait to see the finished deck.

Caitlin @ TPL April 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm

ew that is so weird about the bone! Excited to see what the finished deck looks like, and super nice of Eric with the bench!

Mariah April 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I am a new follower and LOVE your blog! All your recipes I have tried so far have been delicious! I am newly vegan (since January) and it is so nice to have a reliable food blog to browse and enjoy. My absolute favorite recipe right now is your wheat berry salad. Not only are your recipes wonderful, but you take beautiful photographs too! Thank you for inspirational vegan recipes that even my non-vegan friends enjoy!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Mariah!!

Olga Singh April 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Oh boy. That’s a lot of work and time time to maintain that garden! :) We’ve few renoes on our list as well: raised veggie beds, compost bins, second chicken house for raising chicks just to name a few. Have a good day with grandpa!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe April 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Way to go on working so hard! I can’t wait to see your deck when it’s finished – I’m sure it will be amazing!
Also glad to hear your grandpa is doing well:)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 10, 2011 at 9:55 pm

My thoughts are with your grandpa! :-)
Beer and friends usually make anything seem better!…especially hard work!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I totally wish I was handy enough to build a deck. It’s on a very long list of things to do around my house.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) April 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm

It looks like you have a lot of land!! What a great place to live :-)

[email protected] April 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Whoa what a perfect day!!! I’m so jealous of your bench, so perfect for food photography :)

Hope you had fun visiting your grandparents!!

Hannah April 10, 2011 at 11:10 pm

What a gorgeously glossy dog, and what a happy Angela!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 11, 2011 at 6:14 am

Yay for sunshine!!

thehealthyapron April 11, 2011 at 7:58 am

Looks a like a productive day!! I loved being outside yesterday!!

Thoughts and prayers to your grandpa! A positive attitude makes all the difference!

Gaura April 11, 2011 at 9:13 am

I love your yard, so rustic and just the kind of view I want one day :)

Whitney Cosgrave April 11, 2011 at 9:22 am

I just stumbled across your blog and I love it! I can’t wait to try out some of the recipes.

Whitney
seeshopeatdo.com

Christine @ Merf In Progress April 11, 2011 at 9:26 am

I love that you now have a dedicated bench for outdoor photos. :-D

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather April 11, 2011 at 9:35 am

Sounds like you knocked out two things at once. Deck work and working out! I love how getting stuff done around the house can be such a good workout too.

emma April 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

I’m beaming big hugs to you Angela and I am thinking positive thoughts for your grandad. Eric was so sweet to save you the bench for your photography! :-)

Char April 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm

The wobbly leg on the bench made me laugh! As long as it’s not too wobbly when the food’s on it, you’ll be safe (or at least try to save the food if it should happen to fall)!!!