Falafel Burgers

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 1, 2011

IMG_1811

HELLO March!

Damn, you look good. Just lose the snow, mmm kay?

March > February.

IMG_9673

I am always the most excited for March out of the entire year. Well, except for April. And May. And then June. Yes I like those months much more than March. OK, scratch that.

IMG_9677

I’m just happy to be done with February! February is my least favourite month of the year because of the Winter blahs. On March 1st, there is hope. The days are getting longer. Even though it was –9C when I got up this morning, I know that warmer weather is on its way sometime between now and July 1st. Approximately.

IMG_9675

Today, I bumped the regularly scheduled post (Soup!) for this important announcement:

These Falafel Burgers are amazing. Addicting even…And I only had 1 bowl to clean up when it was all said and done.

IMG_1811-2

I had my eye on Julie’s recipe ever since I posted about it in my Recipe Link Love the other day. Ok, that is a bit of a lie…I completely stalked her post several times a day.

Yup, still there. Whew.

I knew that these Falafel burgers would soon be in my belly. It was really only a matter of time.

Well, technically, 3 days, but you shouldn’t wait that long….run, skip, fly into that kitchen of yours and whip up these incredibly easy burgers and enjoy the leftovers all week long for a protein-packed pick-me-up. They would go lovely with breakfast, a snack, or lunch on the fly. If you make 12 large patties, each burger has about 9-10 grams of protein (rough calculation only).

IMG_1818

And because I can never let any recipe be, I played around with the recipe and prayed for a successful outcome. The result was a delicious falafel patty with a seedy crunch and crispy exterior. At the end of it all, I had just one processor bowl to clean up. And by clean up, I mean that I blasted a second of water on it and tossed it into the dishwasher.

Score.

I almost shed tears of joy, my friends, tears of joy.

IMG_1816

[print_this]

Falafel burgers

Adapted from Savvy Eats.

Yield: 12 large burgers.

Ingredients:

• 3.5-4 cups cooked chickpeas (two 15oz cans), rinsed + drained
  • 2 small carrots, peeled & roughly chopped
  • 1 small onion, peeled & roughly chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon (~2 tbsp)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup tahini
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
  • Freshly ground black pepper & Paprika, to taste
  • 3/4 cup stone ground kamut flour (or flour of choice- whole wheat, white, etc)
  • 1 cup raw sunflower seeds (for crunch!)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a non-stick mat. In a food processor, process the garlic, carrot, and onion. Now add in the drained chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, cumin, and salt. Process until fully combined.

2. Add in the 1 cup of flour and process again. You may have to stop the processor and use a big spoon to stir. Finally, stir in the sunflower seeds. Season to taste with pepper and paprika.

3. Spoon about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter into baking sheet, leaving about 3-4 inches between each scoop. Wet hands and flatten until patty is about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat for all patties. Sprinkle with Paprika.

4. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes. Now, very gently flip the burgers and bake for another 5-10 minutes. If you do not use a baking mat like I do, your burgers will likely cook a few minutes faster so watch carefully. Burgers will be golden brown when ready and slightly firm. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes so they can firm up and cool completely before storing. My burgers got soft after placing them in Tupperware. I’m not sure if this is because they were not cooled properly or not.

[/print_this]

The changes I made to the original recipe:

• I cut the olive oil in half from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup
  • I increased the flour from 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup (my batter was very wet, so I had to thicken it up more)
  • I added 1 cup of raw sunflower seeds for a crunchy texture
  • I garnished the patties with Paprika before baking

Line up the troops…

IMG_1785

Absent from the photoshoot: raw sunflower seeds, which were an after thought. :) I also did not use the ground flax like I thought I would.

Start by processing the carrots, onion, and garlic in a food processor. Next add in the drained chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, and salt + seasonings. Process until almost smooth. Finally process the flour into the mixture and stir in 1 cup of sunflower seeds. (The seeds are key for the crunch!)

The ‘batter’ is like a jacked up tahini-rich hummus…with a crunch.

IMG_1788

Scoop about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter onto baking sheet and flatten with wet hands. You want the burgers to be quite thin so they will cook throughout.

More surface area = quicker cooking time.

IMG_1794

Bake for 20 minutes and gently flip over and bake for another 5-10 minutes, watching carefully. If you do not use a baking mat like I do, your burgers will likely cook a few minutes faster.

IMG_1798

The burgers will be golden brown on one side, but not to worry. This gives them that crispy exterior!

IMG_1804

Cool for about 15 minutes and enjoy. I didn’t have any issues with crumbling and they held together well. Sadly, the burgers got soft when I placed them in Tupperware and into the fridge. I’m not sure if this was because I didn’t allow them to cool enough or what…

IMG_1808

Serve them on a burger patty, in a sandwich, crumbled on a salad, or with a warm pita with your favourite toppings and sauce.

IMG_1818

Or, might I sheepishly add…straight from the baking sheet…Surprised smile

I turned into a Falafel Burger Pac Woman after I tried one. ..

IMG_1818b

Yum! Thanks Julie. :)

If you are feeling crazy you could always do the Falafel Double Down Version too…by smothering a couple spoonfuls of hummus in between two patties. That is always a favourite of mine with chickpea burgers.

And I think I just heard a bird chirp. March, you are off to a good start!

Page 3 of 3«123
Leia March 2, 2011 at 5:00 am

I think I am going to have to make these TODAY! Thanks Angela & Savvy Eats!

Johi March 2, 2011 at 5:34 am

Wooow! a perfect idea how to get my proteins tomorrow! :) I am addicted to tahini… Thanks Angela! I love you blog! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 2, 2011 at 6:47 am

I die. Falafel is basically my favorite thing in the world. Can you say in my belly, asap?!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 2, 2011 at 7:02 am

Oh, those look really good! I made a recipe that was sort of similar to this one and my husband and I ate them for three weeks straight! I bet we’d like this one, too.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 2, 2011 at 8:05 am

Yum, these burgers looks delicious!! Although I am not a vegetarian or vegan, I do not eat regular burgers (probably haven’t had one in nearly 15 years!), so I am always looking for a great veggie burger recipe. This one sounds perfect!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 2, 2011 at 9:09 am

The “Falafel Double Down” is a hilarious idea. These look delicious!

Becca March 2, 2011 at 9:22 am

Just wanted to say that I’ve voted every single day for you in the “Best of Health Blog Awards”. Good luck!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 2, 2011 at 9:58 am

I will have to try those… SOON! You should really move further south, it was nearly 75 here in Texas. It’s been t-shirt weather for a while now… Then again, I hate the snow so I’m probably biased.

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

I am sooo over winter and would love just love for the snow to be gone aswell. I think we may be not that far from one another. It’s always just a tease though… one last snow story always seems to appear out of nowhere!!

Jenny March 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’ve never tried falafel burgers before! They look great, must try soon:)

Halley (Blunder Construction) March 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

Yuummm, I love anything that can easily be transformed into burger form. Give me a spoonful of tabouleh, and I’ll be set!

rachel March 2, 2011 at 11:03 am

i hear you on february blahness. march is finally here! northern winters drag on forever. now we just need somemore sunlight.

& i also need to eat these falafel burgers!

do you grow any of your own veggies?

Epicurean Vegan March 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

Those look downright sensational–and easy! Gotta love that they’re all natural and packed with protein. Thanks!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

Eventhough spring is near i’m still waiting for some snow!

These protein packed pattys sound amazing and look like a great snack too!

Nichole March 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm

These look so delicious, I bet freezing them and grilling them in the summer would be a great option!

Leslie Paquette March 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Those look delicious! I can’t wait to try the recipe.

Just curious why you close comments on prior recipes/blogs? If I have a question about an old recipe should I post it on your most recent blog? I’ve been trying out a lot of your recipes and find myself wanting to comment on how awesome they are but can’t.

Thanks, Leslie

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Hey Leslie,
I close the comments after 30 days because it is otherwise difficult for myself to keep up with comments on older posts.

Sherry March 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm

How many burgers does this approx make?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm

11-12 burgers (its included in the recipe description for your convenience) :)

Sherry March 2, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Oh sorry, I must have missed it. Thanks!! I am making these tonight, they look delish!!

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond March 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm

These look delicious. I am crazy about falafel, I would love these.

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner March 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Haha, I love your Falafel Monsta! :)

xoxo
Kathleen

Debbie B. (DebaRooRoo) March 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm

LOVE the last pic!! Cracks me up! I think I might halve the recipe and give it a try!

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 3, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Would these work without the tahini? I am out. :( Do you taste it a lot?

Jess March 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm

These were delicious!! I used kidney beans instead of chickpeas (like Caitlyn at HTP did), because I am out of chickpeas. :) I ate them with plain yogurt and kale chips. Yummy!

Shannon March 13, 2011 at 10:27 am

These are so yummy! I was out of sunflower seeds but I sprinkled sesame seeds on the top with the paprika. Love it! Then I took the leftovers the other night and topped them with a whole roasted green chili, black olives and some pico de gallo-stuck under the broiler to heat up. Served with salad and spanish rice. It was to die for. The last one was a snack with some plain old salsa on top. I will be making these again for certain!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm

LOVE falafels!! They make me bloated but I never learn!!
These look awesome.

Molly January 17, 2016 at 7:19 pm

This looks yummy and I want to make it! Could you tell me how many patties per serving?