Link Love + What I’m Making Today

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 6, 2011

My words to Eric last night were, ‘I can’t wait to sleep in tomorrow morning!’

But Sketchie had other plans.

All week long I have been the one pulling Sketchie’s lazy butt out of bed and this morning he finally got his revenge. He set off the security alarm sensor at the crack of dawn this morning and I was jolted into next week when it went off.  I really have no clue what he must have been doing to set it off, but I have a feeling it has to do with his new cat toy…

Lesson #1: Never say your sleeping plans out loud near a cat. They will ruin you.

Need less to say, I could not fall back asleep…but the boys did…

IMG_5607

Eric and Sketchie slept in the rest of the morning while I walked around the house in a haze that only 5 hours of sleep could produce. I decided to cheer myself up by making pink pancakes and I quickly learned my second lesson of the day…

Lesson #2: 3/4 cup of POM juice does not taste good in a pancake recipe. Please do not try this at home.

After my pancake fail and a satisfying bowl of VOO later, I decided to get caught up on my reading. :) It was a great week for some health and food reads…so I hope you enjoy these stories below!

What I’m making today:

I’m off to make the incredibly delicious Pioneer Woman Pico de Gallo + Guacamole for the Super Bowl.

IMG_6146_thumb1

If you are looking for a great recipe, you can’t go wrong with this crowd pleaser!

IMG_6160_thumb

Other plans include a vegan banana cake because the blackened bananas in my kitchen are starting to become a bit of a health hazard…

Page 2 of 2«12
big sis February 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for a wonderful visit and goodies. The lentil walnut loaf was outstanding!! I espeically loved the navy bean potatoes … you turned my favourite dip – artichoke – into a healthy vegan treat! Have a wonderful day! xo

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! February 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I am trying a week of vegan eating (Oprah stole my idea!) and am facing Day One with a husband who bought all of my favourite cheese-flavoured treats for Super Bowl watching purchases. I wish I had someone around to make Pico de Gallo and guac for snacking! Wish me luck :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Pico de Gallo with guacamole…I am in LOVE!!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Oh I can’t wait for the vegan banana cake! I have one and it uses PB in it. I can’t wait to see what you do! There are always a few ripe bananas to use, aren’t there :)

The Pioneer Woman’s pico you made looks delish!

And all those links, thanks for taking the time to share what you find interesting. I love getting into people’s heads and seeing what they like to read. When they’re not blogging, cooking, photographing, or updating their recipe page like you are :)

Light Delight with Tou Tou February 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Hi Angela, I have been reading your post on my google reader for a long time, and I’d like to say that thank you for making the food blog so lively and colorful. I can tell you put lots of thoughts on your blog, and every picture comes out beautiful. I enjoyed your creation very much! :-D

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

hehe oh that sounds like something my two cats would do!

AGS February 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Perhaps of interest: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703439504576116083514534672.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

Gwen~healthymamma February 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm

HaaaHaaa, that happend to us a while back at like 3 a.m. I still have not fully recovered. Totally thought it was WW III sirens going off, LOUD!
I can’t wait until tomatoes are in season so I can make this!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm

hahaha, agreed!!! It’s like my cat knows when weekends are because she’ll do EVERYTHING she can to wake me up when I’m trying to sleep in.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Ditto on that guacamole! It looks delicious!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 6, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I can never fall back asleep when I’m woken up early in the morning either!

I love it when you post health-related links! I read Fit Sugar a few times a week, but you always manage to find other links that aren’t on that site. I love reading them. :D

Emma February 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm

guac is a vegan football staple if you as me! so is chili, of course….
i made a promise to myself that for every point the Packers score, i have to do 2 modified pushups and one real pushup. and if the steelers still aren’t winning at halftime, i get to have another bowl of ice cream to drown my sorrows. my arms are very sore and i’m about to go get my second bowl of ben and jerrys. lol

MeagAlayne February 6, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Yum! We make pico every week and keep it on hand — It’s such a great addition to just about everything. On top of eggs, mixed in with wraps, added to chilis or soups, mixed with hummus and enjoyed with fresh raw veggies. Such an easy condiment and full of flavour! I even top my stews with it :D Thanks for the links, Angela!

Emily February 6, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Good to know about the Pom-cakes, although I’m not sure I would have been so creative to try the. Excited for your banana cake recipe!

Amanda (Eating Up) February 6, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Ooo vegan banana cake! Hope you post the recipe. I love banana cake!

Meredith February 6, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Food looks great! Football, however, really suffers from a distinct lack of Sidney Crosby ;)

Hannah February 6, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I love when bloggers link to things they’ve enjoyed reading – I always discover something new! And thank you for doing some non-recipe links too :)

Kasey @ thisbodyismyhome February 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Thanks for the links, Angela. They came right in time. I can’t believe all the snow we got recently!

Angela (the diet book junkie) February 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm

you just gave me an idea of what to do with the avocados in my fridge. and thanks for the links, i’ll be sure to check them out! :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs) February 6, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I love mixing pico de gallo with guacamole! I could eat pico de gallo allllll day.

Sarah @ Flavoropolis February 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I’ve never heard of banana cake, as opposed to bread, but it sounds delicious.
And what is it with cats? I don’t get this with any other animal, so I swear I’m not crazy, but sometimes I get the eery impression that certain cats are listening to and understanding everything I’m saying…

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 6, 2011 at 11:14 pm

id love to stuff this guacamole in one of my regular wraps, it would be so yummy!! and i agree, awesome for super bowl dippage!! <3

xoxo

Sana February 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Oh no! That would wake me up as well! Do I spy cilantro? My fav!

Kate February 6, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Mannnn, the pico/guac looks amazing! And awww I miss my pet kitties at home :( so presh.

Lesley Lifting Life February 7, 2011 at 8:32 am

Pico+guac is a favorite of mine lately! I can’t seem to get enough of it.

Rach February 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Aww Sketchie is so adorable!

Charmaine February 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Pink Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup
Serves 2
Pankakes:
2/3 of a cup flour
1/4 teaspoon slat
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 of a cup soy milk
1 tablespoon coconut milk (full fat,creamy stuff off the top)
1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries (fi always use fresh but frozen could work too.. i think)
Coconut oil for cooking
Syrup (optional):
1/2 cup strawberries ( for this i use frozen fresh could work too though)
4 tablespoons maple syrup
tiny splash of vanilla extract

Pancakes:
mix dry ingredents in a bowl, and while stirring slowly add soy milk, add coconut milk and strawberries.
cook like normal(small) pancakes. ( should be self explanitory)

Syrup:
mash ingredients together over medium heat stirring often to prevent burning.