No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB ‘Fudge’

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 28, 2011

Now this is what I call a Happy Friday.

IMG_0068-2

Luckily for my little baking ‘habit’, there is always a reason to bake.

My friends have birthdays. Their significant others have birthdays. My family have birthdays. It’s December. It’s the 3rd Tuesday of the month. Eric’s coworkers hit the 3pm slump. It’s storming outside. There is an old lady down the road who doesn’t know who I am but enjoys my baked goods. Valentine’s Day. This blog. Eric. You.

vdaybanner120th

This creates a sense of purpose in my life.

But don’t get me wrong, I will bake for no other reason other than just wanting to bake. And wanting to eat what I bake. Yes, I do enjoy that quite a bit come to think of it. Baking for sheer enjoyment is a good reason in itself, but it does make me happy when I have others I can bake for too.

And really, what could be better to drool over on a Friday morning when you are anxiously watching the clock, anticipating the fun weekend ahead, and planning all the delicious things that you are going to eat?

IMG_0065

My friend Julie had a birthday get together last night and she is a huge chocolate and peanut butter fan. When she heard that I made Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter she made a double batch that very same day, as well as a Dark Chocolate Almond Butter batch for good measure. Her love for chocolate and peanut butter is quite intense. Obviously, I made the girl a chocolate peanut butter dessert and the end result was so fantastic, I wished it was my birthday. Only 3.5 months to go…

IMG_0046

No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with PB Fudge

Like a chocolate rice crispie square amped up and packed with crispy, chewy goodness. The chocolate peanut butter fudgy ‘frosting’ is the perfect compliment to this not too sweet dessert.

Print this recipe!

Inspired by Joy of Baking.

Yield: 16 squares.

Squares:

• 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
  • 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
  • 3 cups crisp rice cereal (I use GF Nature’s Path)
  • 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts (optional, but adds a nice texture)
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips

Dark Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter ‘Fudge’:

This is adapted from my Chocolate Peanut Butter.

• 1 cup all-natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut + coconut for sprinkling (optional)

Directions

1. Line an 8 inch square pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper going each way.

2. In a medium sized saucepan, stir together the peanut butter, brown rice syrup, vanilla, and almond milk together over low-medium heat. Once combined, slowly add in the sifted cocoa power and the kosher salt. Stir over low heat being careful not to burn.

3. Mix in the 3 cups of rice crispies and remove from heat. Now add I the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and optional peanuts. stir well. Spread this mixture into the square pan lined with parchment paper. Press down firmly and evenly. Place in the freezer for at least 10 minutes to firm up.

4. Meanwhile, make the Dark Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter by melting the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Be careful not to burn. Now stir in the 1 cup peanut butter, 1/3 cup coconut (optional), and kosher salt to taste. Mix until completely combined.

5. Remove the pan from the freezer when firm to touch and spread on as much of the Dark Chocolate PB ‘fudge’ as you prefer. I think I used about 3/4-1 cup. Sprinkle with coconut if desired.

6. Place in the freezer for 45-50 minutes until firm (yes it takes longer to firm up than you think!). Cut into squares and enjoy! Store in the freezer or fridge.

I’m obviously really into the no-bake (i.e. fast and easy) treats lately so I tried to come up with something that would fit the bill, but still make a show-stopping and drool-worthy dessert for any birthday girl.

IMG_9972b

The peanuts are optional in this recipe, but they provided a nice texture in the squares.

IMG_9975

The first thing you do is mix together the vanilla, brown rice syrup, peanut butter, and almond milk over low-medium heat on the stovetop.

IMG_9981

Now add in the kosher salt, sifted cocoa power, and peanuts. Stir well until smooth.

IMG_9982

Add in the 3 cups rice crisp and the 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Oh yeaaaaa.

IMG_9985

Scoop into your square pan and spread out.

IMG_9994

Place in freezer for about 10 minutes to firm up.

IMG_9996 IMG_9999

Meanwhile, on the ranch…

20101126-IMG_3422

Make the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter! I had some leftover in the fridge so I just softened it in the microwave for about 25 seconds or so and then stirred.

IMG_0012

However, if you are making it from scratch, it is very quick…

IMG_8751 IMG_8759

Melt chocolate. Stir in the remaining ingredients. EASY!

IMG_8768 IMG_8802b

I also added in some shredded coconut for a fun texture in this fudgy frosting.

IMG_0013 IMG_0014

Once the square mixture is firm, pour on your desired amount of fudgy frosting. I think I used 3/4 cup or so.

IMG_0017

Spread the goodness all around.

IMG_0018 IMG_0019

Now place in the freezer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes to set.

IMG_0020

Remove from pan and cut into squares.

IMG_0028 IMG_0029

Dear me.

IMG_0041

Quality control.

IMG_0065

I had no idea how these were going to turn out, but I was blown away. These are one of my favourite desserts to ever cross this kitchen. You can get creative with the ingredients too. It might be fun using Dark Chocolate Almond Butter and chopped almonds, or other mix ins like raisins, walnuts, or pecans too!

Or what about White Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter? Mmm.

IMG_0068-2

I ended up saving a square for Eric and after he tried it he said if we weren’t already married he would have proposed to me upon first bite. bahaha.

IMG_0072

I think I know what dessert I’m making him for Valentine’s Day now!

These squares would go perfectly with my Choco Peanut Butter Hot Cocoa too…

P.S.- Don’t forget you have until Feb. 7th to enter my Valentine’s Day recipe contest. =)

Page 4 of 4«1234
Anastasia January 28, 2013 at 1:10 am

Hi, they look amazing!
Cant wait to make them!
Just a quick question though, where can I find brown rice syrup? Or can I omit it? Or substitute it with something else? Please reply.

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2013 at 10:18 am

If you eat honey you can use that probably, also coconut nectar may work!

Tara February 24, 2013 at 11:59 am

OMG!! These are delish! I used corn syrup for the brown rice syrup. Thank you for this wonderful blog…you have made going gluten free so much easier by providing me with such healthy and delicious options!

Alyson April 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I made these last night in celebration of my paragone cleanse being over and wow! I brought them into work and everyone loved them :)

I used organic honey because I couldn’t find brown rice syrup, no peanuts and I cut the PB down in the fudge to 1/2 a cup.

I am now making a list of your recipes I want to tackle! Great site! Thank you.

Zoe Abreder May 4, 2013 at 1:33 pm

These were goood… (but not as good as the crispy twix bars!) I didn’t add as much brown rice syrup to the square as recommended, and so mine were a little bitter dark chocolate tasting. My advice is follow Angela’s recipe! :)

Michelle June 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm

These look amazing! Can you sub Cacao Powder for the cocoa powder… and not “sift”??

Ish June 26, 2013 at 8:16 am

Can I use cacao powder Instead of
Cocoa? If so should I be using the same amount?

Chris Fryatt July 19, 2013 at 7:47 am

Hi Angela, love your website & so glad I found it. I made the No bake Peanut Butter
Chocolate Crispies last night – so delicious, my son & his friend couldn’t believe they
were from a healthy recipe. I made them for my daughter who like you had been suffering
some stomach issues. They turned out perfect until I started cutting them up. The first row was fine & after that the Crispies on the bottom started breaking up – can you tell me what
you think I can do to prevent that from happening next time. I even purchased some of your
Kitchen tools including the two- ended roller which I used to flatten the mixture in the pan.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Chris

Christy December 11, 2013 at 8:35 pm

We have just made this our new favorite oh she glows chocolate peanut butter recipe – will be making 3 batches this week – thanks!

Megan Lanae December 16, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Hi Angela!
I know this is an older, technically Valentines Day recipe, but it is one of my favourites to make for the Christmas season!
I didn’t have any brown rice crisp on hand so I used (brown paper bag) popcorn instead!
Thank you for all the beautiful, delicious recipes! Cannot wait for the cookbook.

Jenny Duffy December 25, 2013 at 9:06 am

I just made these this morning to take to a family get together today for Christmas. They turned out wonderful and were so easy to make. Thank you for another great tasting vegan recipe!

Jennifer B.T. January 14, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Call me crazy but… I hate, hate, hate peanut butter. And the combo of peanut butter and chocolate is even worse. Why ruin wonderful chocolate by adding something as discussing as peanut butter. I know I am a lone in this. In fact, my family loves the combo. This does look delicious. I will be making them soon for my family but I think I’m going to try them with almond butter for myself. Thank you for another amazing recipe. Many blessings.

rachel February 4, 2014 at 1:41 pm

hi! these look amazing! you store them in an airtight container and they are fine? reason i’m asking is cos i’m planning to send them in the mail. do you think they will hold up? sans frosting maybe?

sylvie March 4, 2014 at 11:17 am

j’aimerais avoir le site en Français s.v.p.

Christina Patrekar June 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Love love love your site follow it everyday. I am allergic to peanuts need a substituting nut. Please help

Lauren August 28, 2014 at 9:34 am

Oh Gods, these look amazing! I’ve been reading your recipes all afternoon – I have so many random food intolerances I have a really hard time working around them. These look fantastic – they’re next on my list, I tried the 5 ingredient wraps the other day, and they were amazing :D

You should have another recipe book just for baked goods!

Lauren xx

Katie September 11, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Making these for the second time in less than 3 weeks. They are like eating a chocolate bar. I served these to a group of vegan skeptics, and they have all asked for the recipe. Amazing!

Aoife September 20, 2014 at 1:33 pm

The flavor of these was on point but unfortunately the crispies went chewy-soggy! So sad. Made a double batch but will try get through them! Anyone have any tips?

Melissa November 20, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Crazy CRAZY good. “thiff if weawy vegan an gwuten fwee?” (husbands question with a mouth-full of one of these amazing squares.)

Alex M January 28, 2015 at 8:24 am

I’ve made these twice and they taste wonderful, especially with salt flecks sprinkled on top! However each time I made them, the day after I put them in the fridge, the cereal inside got soggy. What could I be doing wrong?

hailey March 5, 2015 at 11:18 am

Hello! great recipe! I made it last night for my boyfriend, however the crisp rice I used turned really chewy/soggy, I am not sure what I did wrong, I followed the recipe and instructions. Maybe could it be that I used brown crisp rice cereal? Taste was great, but the texture made them inedible

Carol May 19, 2015 at 1:38 am

These look amazing but do you think they would work with any other kind of nut butter?

Cath July 8, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Hi,

these really look scrumptious, and I will try the recipe as is, however, I’d also like to make a batch for a friend who is allergic to coconut. What can I use to replace the coconut oil? I’ve tried replacing it in another recipe with vegan margarine, but the chocolate became hard.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Haley Colpitts January 28, 2018 at 6:30 pm

Hi Angela! I have made these before and absolutely love them, but I had a question. I want to make these for a friend who only eats maple syrup and honey for sugars. I wondered if the brown rice syrup could be replaced with either of those? Do you think it could work? Thanks so much for all your amazing recipes! You have been such an inspiration for my whole vegan journey :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2018 at 10:00 am

Hi Haley, Aww thank you for your kind words! :)
From my experience, brown rice syrup is the only liquid sweetener that’s sticky enough to bind squares and bars, so while I do think you could swap maple syrup or honey, I think the squares would likely fall apart.