Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 21, 2011

Good morning!

Those Valentine’s Day recipes are looking delicious so far! Eric is going to have a very hard decision on his hands. I caught him drooling over the recipes this morning and he promptly told me that he might have to pick ‘10 or 30’ recipes, instead of 2.

IMG_9501

Yesterday, I had a wonderful speed run. As I mentioned in my Tempo run post, I love intervals.

I used to hate the idea of speed work because I thought it was one long, exhausting sprint the entire workout, but that just isn’t true. Speed work is simply a succession of hard + easy intervals on the treadmill, road, or track, often run in 400 metre/0.25 mile intervals.

They are quick, productive, and are great for those days when you don’t have a lot of time!

Hal Hidgon explains:

1) If you want to run at a fast pace, you need to train at a fast pace several days a week.

2) An interval workout usually consists of fast repeats separated by walking or jogging.

3) Run the 400s at about your pace for 5-K, or 10-K.

Yesterday, my Speed training looked like this:

Jog Interval = 6.0 mph (10 min/mile) for 400 metres/0.25 mile

Speed Interval = 7.5 mph (8 min/mile) for 400 metres/0.25 mile

REPEAT 8 times for a total distance of 4 miles (37 mins). I paused for a water break in between each mile.

I really love the intervals because I get to ‘rest’ every 400 metres, so it really helps me push hard during my speed interval. I’m hoping the Tempo runs and Speed work will help offset the fact that I am training for this half marathon mostly indoors.

And after a tough workout, there is nothing more I love to do than to help my body ‘recover’…wink, wink.

IMG_9488

[print_this]

Red Quinoa and Black Bean Vegetable Salad

Light, fresh, and packed with protein and healthy fats, this tangy salad will have you dreaming of Spring and Summer.

Inspired by Epicurious.

Yield: ~5 cups

For the salad:

• 1 cup uncooked Red quinoa
  • 1 (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 Green Onions, chopped
  • 1 cup fresh corn (optional) *see note
  • 1 small avocado, chopped into 1 inch pieces

For the dressing:

• 4-5 tbsp of fresh lime juice (Juice from 2 small limes)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin, or more to taste

Directions:

1. Cook 1 cup Red Quinoa according to package directions.

2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare the chopped vegetables and whisk together the dressing.

3. Allow quinoa to cool after cooking for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the beans and vegetables and toss well.

4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Bring salad to room temperature before serving. Keep fresh in a sealed container for 1-2 days. Makes about 5 cups.

Note: I defrosted and drained frozen corn before adding it to the salad, but the result was rubbery corn. I would suggest using fresh corn only, if the season applies, otherwise I wouldn’t bother with the frozen stuff.

[/print_this]

IMG_9457

Grab that beautiful cup of Red Quinoa and cook it according to package directions.

IMG_9459

Red Quinoa is so much more fun than the regular kind!

IMG_9461

Chop your vegetables and rinse and drain the black beans…

IMG_9476b

Assemble the dressing ingredients:

IMG_9462b

Juice the limes to make 4-5 tablespoons.

IMG_9467

Add all dressing ingredients into a bowl.

IMG_9468

Whisk away!

IMG_9470

When the quinoa is cooked, add in the chopped vegetables and beans and stir well.

IMG_9479

I just dumped everything into the cooking pot, but I supposed you could transfer it to a bowl if you wanted to!

IMG_9480

Pour on the dressing and mix. Serve at room temperature.

IMG_9488

This salad is irresistible! It is light, fresh, and has a wonderful tangy kick from the lime juice. It also makes a great lunch and has a lot of staying power thanks to the protein-rich black beans and quinoa and healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil.

IMG_9499

Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.

IMG_9520

Here’s to a healthy weekend ahead!

It’s time to have a productive Friday of work to kick off the weekend. Have a good one!

Page 4 of 4«1234
Tracy September 18, 2014 at 9:06 am

I made this amazing dish last night with a few of modifications:
1) Dressing, I added a tsp of organic sweetner Blue Agave to add a layer of taste on top of lime juice
2) Salad, I added a roasted sweet potato, cubed

No leftover! This is a clear success!

Rachel Zierzow December 18, 2014 at 2:32 pm

We are excited to try this as well as the vegan caesar recipe as part of our student and alumni social at the end of January at the Natural Epicurean Academy of Culinary Arts. Thanks for the inspiration!

baby-fine hair July 25, 2015 at 9:46 am

Great post. I’m experiencing a few of these issues as well..

James July 26, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Funny this recipe is printed verbatim on the back of the Earthly Choice package of red quinoa.

Regina April 3, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Made this for dinner and it’s so yummy and colorful!!! I’m so excited for leftovers!

Melanie April 19, 2016 at 10:39 am

Oh my word! I have been on a vegan only kick and this recipe made me so happy. Irresistible for sure! Thank you so much for sharing. The thing I miss on a vegan diet is staying power and texture and this quinoa salad had both. Really, a home run. I will definitely make this one again and again. Cheers!

Angela Liddon April 19, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Hi Melanie, it’s great to hear you enjoyed this recipe! It definitely has staying power, that’s for sure. :)

Tara June 5, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Just made this – it’s so good! I was short on cilantro so just added more garlic, green onions, and lime to make up for flavor. Thanks for the great recipe!!

Angela Liddon June 6, 2016 at 8:59 am

So glad the recipe was a hit, Tara! :)

Joan August 22, 2016 at 9:23 am

What are the nutrition facts for this salad?
I LOVE IT!!!

Angela Liddon August 23, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Hi Joan, Unfortunately I haven’t calculated that info myself, but if you head over to an online tool like caloriecount.com or nutritiondata.com and plug in the recipe, you should be able to find out the nutrition facts pretty quickly. Hope this helps!

Sian January 1, 2017 at 6:06 pm

What an exceptional, gorgeous salad! DH is ambivalent when it comes to quinoa, so it’s always a little dicey auditioning a new recipe. I had to omit both the cumin and cilantro because he’s allergic, but added in additional scallions and a pinch of Creole seasoning to boost the flavour. Served with some roasted potatoes on the side, this was a huge hit! I had to promise to add it to the rotation. Thanks so much for posting the recipe!

Angela Liddon January 3, 2017 at 9:50 am

That extra seasoning sounds like a great twist! So glad the recipe was a hit, Sian.

Donna February 8, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I omitted the avocado and after tossing with the delicious sauce I top it off with cubed baked yams. I serve it at room temperature.

Hannah October 9, 2017 at 6:19 pm

I’ve been making this recipe regularly for over five years; I finally figured it was time to say thank you! Thank you for nourishing your readers and sharing your life with us!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2017 at 8:17 am

Hey Hannah, I’m so honoured that this recipe has been a regular for you for years now! That’s pretty awesome. I’m really happy that you love it so much. I haven’t made it in ages (Eric always complains that I never make my old recipes because I’m always making new things to share, lol), but I really should soon.

Jennifer September 29, 2018 at 11:21 am

This is a great recipe! My in-laws made something like this before and put some chicken in it as well. We loved it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2018 at 1:12 pm