Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 28, 2010

IMG_7694

I deemed that this week is officially my Get Back On Track Week!

Over the past few weeks, my eating, exercise, and home life/work routines have been all over the place.

Wait, who am I kidding, my life has been all over the place since September actually!

My goal for the next few days is to get organized and get back on track, hopefully achieving a nice balance once again. I absolutely love the last week of the year to get organized for the new year ahead. This week, I will also be talking about my goals for 2011 and I will be going over last year’s goals to see how I did.

Many of you expressed interest in the salad that my mother-in-law made, so I thought today would be a great time to do a recipe post on a healthy salad that makes for a great ‘getting back on track’ dish! I am just in love with this salad. It is in my Top 5 all-time favourite salads for sure.

IMG_7688

[print_this]

Back On Track Wheat Berry and Bean Salad

Adapted from Alive Magazine.

Yield: 7.5-8 cups

Salad Ingredients:

• 1 cup dry wheat berries, cooked and drained
  • 2 cups/500 ml cooked navy beans (I was out so I used chickpeas!)
  • 1 English cucumber, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup fresh parsley, diced with large stems removed
  • 4 green onions, diced
  • Kosher salt + pepper, to taste

Dressing Ingredients:

• 2-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, to taste (I used 2 tbsp)
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp hot mustard (I used regular)
  • 1 tbsp Tamari
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Directions: In a medium bowl, soak the wheat berries overnight in cold water. The next day, drain the wheat berries and place in a medium sized pot, covered in 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and cool.

In a large bowl, mix together the diced vegetables (cucumber, red pepper, tomato, minced garlic, parsley, green onions). Add in cooked and drained navy beans (or other bean of choice) and stir.

In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, Tamari, fresh lemon juice). Set aside.

When the wheat berries are ready, drain and rinse and then stir into the salad. Add the dressing just before serving and stir well. Now season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with additional parsley if desired.

Yield: 7.5-8 cups.

[/print_this]

IMG_7641

Gather up the troops and the wheat berries that you soaked overnight! Place the wheat berries in a medium sized pot covered with 3 inches of water and simmer on medium for 1 hour.

IMG_7645

IMG_7647

While the wheat berries are cooking, dice your little heart out.

IMG_7651

You want the veggies diced very small.

Stir the veggies together in a large bowl and set aside.

IMG_7656

Now make your dressing with Tamari, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, hot mustard (I didn’t have any), and fresh lemon juice.

IMG_7662

I decided to try reducing the oil in this recipe by half and it turned out amazing! I actually think I liked the dressing better with 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil vs. 4 tbsp. It really made the balsamic vinegar pop.

IMG_7663

Whisk.

IMG_7667

I realized that I didn’t have any navy beans after all, so I decided to use chickpeas instead.

IMG_7670

After 1 hour of simmering, I drained and rinsed the wheat berries.

IMG_7674

Add them in and stir well.

Add dressing and mix again.

IMG_7677

Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.

IMG_7681

Serve!

IMG_7685

One of my favourite salads of all time. It has so many amazing flavours and textures and it is high in protein and fibre too! I think this was my first time trying wheat berries too. They add such a great texture to salads. I will definitely be buying more in the future!

IMG_7688

It makes about 8 cups worth. Enough to fuel the week ahead.

IMG_7696

Now that the holidays are drawing to a close, are you thinking about getting back on track or re-organizing your life in some way?

Page 3 of 3«123
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 29, 2010 at 8:44 am

Love this recipe! Where do you buy your wheat berries though? I haven’t been able to find them at Loblaws!

I want to get back on track with organizing my time better. Towards the end of the semester I spent way too much time on school work and too little time with my friends. This upcoming semester I want to have more time for my friends and for personal pursuits like cooking and yoga!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 8:45 am

I’m not sure, I will have to ask my MIL where she bought them!

Margaret December 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I bought the wheat berries at a Health Food Store
MIL

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm

thanks mom!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day December 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

I just love wheatberries! They are perfect for salads and this one looks wonderful.

Sruthi December 29, 2010 at 10:53 am

The salad looks amazing, I will definitely try it out. Where do you buy wheat berries?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 11:17 am

im not sure where my MIL got them, I will have to ask her.

Lisa December 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

If you’re in the US you can get them in the bulk bins at Whole Foods.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm

My MIL got them at a health food store. They were also called Wheat Kernels and not wheat berries :)

sara December 29, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Most stores in Canada have them in the bulk bins!

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond December 30, 2010 at 10:42 am

Thanks Lisa! I will look for them in Whole Foods.

Leanne December 29, 2010 at 11:07 am

I really feel the need to organize my life before 2011 starts. I always feel like a new year offers a new clean slate, and I like to begin the new year feeling in control and organzied! I’ll be cleaning & organizing tonight & tomorrow night!

Stephanie December 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I made this salad for lunch today and it looks gorgeous! I made it exactly as the recipe said, however, I would make two changes next time. These are both based on my personal taste…i would start with one clove of garlic, then add more if necessary. Secondly, i would use about half the amount of parsley(it’s not my favorite). Thanks for the entree ideas this week, I like sweets, but I love savory!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Great feedback! The beauty of it is that you can really adjust it to what you prefer. :) Hope you like it even more next time!

Tami December 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I have been following your wonderful blog for some time but I have never left a comment. This salad was amazing. I made it with farro and quinoa. It was delecious!

Alicia December 29, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I just made this with black quinoa instead of wheat berries and it worked great, so yummy!!! I slapped some pesto hummus on top too, can’t wait to make the rainbow one :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm

its so good with hummus!

Jessica Nichols January 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm

This is SO good. Just made it. I love so many of your recipes! Thanks!! I just read online that you can “pop” wheat berries (like popcorn) to snack on them or top salads. I’m going to have to try this too. It did say to partially cook them before popping.

Stephanie P January 3, 2011 at 12:24 am

I made this last week and sent half of it home to my parents house. They called me tonight to tell me they are currently fighting over who gets the last little bit and that I have to make it again ASAP! HAHA… we ALL loved it! It was soooooo good!!!! Happy New Year :)

Emily January 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Just had this for lunch and it was great. Another success! I had to use soy sauce instead of tamari, and I didn’t soak the wheat berries before cooking them (also forgot to rinse them). Oh I also left out the tomatoes since the winter ones I get in NY are crap. But everything turned out wonderfully.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm

haha nice!!

Cindy January 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I just made your recipe for Wheat Berry salad – I was very hesitant, as other wheat berry recipes I have found and made were not that tasty. This one is great and it is now in my “favorites” file. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas and recipes. I love your site and always look forward to reading it. Happy New Year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm

thanks Cindy Im glad you like it! Im going to try it with some spelt berries next time :)

Anon January 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm

New reader here. Thanks for introducing wheatberries to my diet. I tried this recipe; it didn’t turn out as flavorful as I had hoped for. It was a bit on the mushy side, but maybe that’s because of the tomatoes I used. The dressing was great.

Stephanie May 31, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Made this for the salad a day challenge for lunch tomorrow! Taste tested it tonight and oh my, its so good!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

glad to hear that!

Julie R June 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Just made this tonight but with quinoa since it’s what I had. Totally delish and my 3 yr old loved the deconstructed version i put on her plate. I served it with a cold pea and basil soup ( which she also loved to my amazement). Great for a hot summer night. I’ve made a few of your recipes now and they have all been winners. Thanks! And yes, i’m telling all my friends to read your site too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Thank you so much Julie!

Lynn Fregoso June 25, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I am so glad that I found this web-site!! I am working through your recipe page, I started with the salads first. We loved the Red Quinoia Black bean salad so much that we made it every week, now we are off to the Wheatberry bean salad. My kids are athletes, as I wrote in earlier, and they want healthy meals, these fit the bill, healthy and good tasting. Thank you so much for your work in trying these recipes and then posting them. Lynn

Alina July 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Made this last night for my meat loving parents. They devoured it! I used quinoa instead of wheat berries and it was a terrific combo. Thanks for your blog, I LOVE IT.

Lisa November 15, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I just made this…..it’s delicious! Im glad I finally tried wheat berries!

Betsy Stevens December 27, 2012 at 10:44 am

This salad looks great! Thanks for posting – can’t wait to try it!!

Jill January 8, 2013 at 3:36 am

Hiya!
Your website is awesome! =) Any suggestions on what to replace wheat berries with? Not sure if I can get it easily here in Malaysia. Thanks!

Bryn January 11, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Tried this with a creamy balsamic dressing as that’s what I had on hand and it was outstanding! I had never grated garlic before and whoa, does it ever pack a punch. Forgive me if I ever run into you in town and make a fool out of myself by saying what a fan I am of yours! I promise I will not ask for your autograph, lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2013 at 9:02 am

hah well I would love to meet you! Thanks for trying out the recipe, I’m happy that you enjoyed it.

Lara February 7, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Hi Angela! I’m having a friend over for dinner soon, and I decided to make this recipe (Your recipes never fail!). I already bought all the ingredients and I just found out my friend is sensitive to garlic. Would this recipe still work without the garlic?
Thanks in advance!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Yes im sure it would still be fine :) Goodluck!

Shweta Ganesh March 17, 2013 at 12:34 am

All of your recipes are excellent and so are the professional photos.
Just saw the site and thought all of the meal recipes are nutritious and fresh.
Excellent site

Abby April 12, 2013 at 9:27 am

I am planning on making this DELICIOUS looking recipe for my in-laws tomorrow night at a dinner I am hosting, and needless to say they are unfamiliar with vegan eating. What would be good options to serve alongside this salad that would knock their socks off? I love making soups (but am unsure of flavors that would be harmonious with this salad) and I thought perhaps something like that and maybe some roasted mushrooms or a large portobello but would also like to stay seasonal. Suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2013 at 11:34 am

Hi Abby, Yes this salad tends to do well at potlucks. I’d also recommend my favourite salad – lightened up goddess bowl found here: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/12/lightened-up-protein-power-goddess-bowl/

Abby April 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Thank you, Angela! I hadn’t seen that recipe for the goddess bowl and that looks perfect! I have made several of your soups and have lots of favorites, but I want to try all new recipes for this dinner I’m hosting. Do you think the carrot ginger apple soup would be a good pairing? Thanks for your help!

Ruby August 4, 2013 at 12:20 am

This salad is lovely! We made it with tomato and steamed broccoli instead of capsicum. It was amazing! The flavour had a lovely depth. Very nice! I like wheat berries too.

Pam August 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm

This is what I made today – starting a new school year with my fav salad. I’m set for the week. Thanks so much once again for this recipe – I so enjoy it.

Cassie September 23, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Hi Angela!

I made this for dinner tonight, and boy was it delicious! We gobbled it right up and felt great afterward.

I just have to ask though – how in the world do you get your wheat berries to look so scrumptious?? I followed your directions precisely, but when I looked at the wheat berries this morning after soaking them overnight, they were all split and ugly, though they tasted just great in the salad ;) Any tips?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Hmm I’m not sure, I may have undercooked them? lol.

Elena December 27, 2013 at 12:50 am

Great recipe! I am going to make it! Thank u!

Kara January 8, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Amazing website ! Awesome recipes ! I just recreated this never cooked wheatberries before they salad doesn’t look as pretty as yours but it’s delicious

Ella May 6, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Hey Angela, we made this for dinner last night with all the subs you made and my whole family thought it was delicious! I had leftovers for lunch today and I’m thinking it will definitely become a staple around here

Terri July 28, 2014 at 1:16 pm

This is a great salad. Easy and delicious. Great warm weather salad.

tina January 20, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Is there anything I can sub the wheat berry for? Thank you :)

Kris April 19, 2015 at 7:44 pm

I’m sure you could used quinoa or spelt berries even rice. And grain would fit I think.

Kris April 19, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Yum! This salad was so refreshing. It made a lot but was really good and ,are look forward to lunch :)

Anat September 6, 2015 at 10:40 am

What can i use instead of tamari?

Gamat November 11, 2015 at 1:21 am

Thank you, recipe I’ve ever tried in combination with peanut sauce and the kids really liked this salad

Marlina November 21, 2016 at 4:08 am

healthy food is very good for families, I would try to make it