Boxing Day Feast

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 27, 2010

Murphy’s Law of Vegan Baking:

When you desperately want a new recipe to work out, it won’t.

This is why you got a 1,000 words post yesterday instead of the recipe that Eric and I made!

IMG_7448

We made vegan banana bread and while it turned out pretty good, it needs a few tweaks until I am ready to post the recipe. I think I used too much baking soda!

It will be coming soon though. I already picked up some ripe bananas on the drive home.

Yesterday was Boxing Day and boy did we ever have a feast! My mother-in-law, Margaret, always has her big Christmas dinner on Boxing Day and it was pretty much a full day of face stuffing from breakfast until dessert around 10pm. I’m feeling like I have a bit of a ‘food hangover’ today!

As per usual, she rocked the table decor once again. My MIL is the queen of table settings.

IMG_7562

Every holiday she does something completely new and it always looks stunning.

IMG_7563

I was in charge of the name tags. ;) It has been so long since I have used cursive hand writing though, I felt a bit rusty!

IMG_7566

IMG_7569

IMG_7571

IMG_7572

IMG_7617

IMG_7575

We polished off many bottles of wine! Yes, yes, we did.

IMG_7579

IMG_7629

IMG_7583

And we feasted on incredibly delicious food!

IMG_7598

Classic Stuffing, turkey, asparagus..

IMG_7600

Caesar Salad…

IMG_7601

Brussels sprouts & carrots…

IMG_7602

My MIL’s famous Croquettes (her mom’s Irish recipe) are below. We also made a vegan version this year using almond milk and Earth Balance (on the right) and Eric said he could barely taste the difference between the two! I was really happy to be able to enjoy them again.

IMG_7603

My MIL also surprised me with this amazing vegan wheat berry and navy bean salad that was TOP SECRET until dinner was served!

IMG_7604

It was absolutely amazing and everyone raved about it. If you guys are interested, I will get the recipe and do a recipe post on it.

IMG_7606

I was quite hungry when dinner was served and I STUFFED myself until I was literally uncomfortable. I just couldn’t help myself!

IMG_7608

I had a huge serving of the vegan salad (plus seconds), croquettes, Brussels sprouts, carrots, asparagus, salad.

IMG_7610

I ate every bite!

IMG_7612

For dessert I had 2 Nanaimo squares and a couple vegan gingersnap cookies.

IMG_7630

IMG_6906

And wine.

Too much for my belly!

We worked our dinner off with a couple hours of Kinect, dancing and boxing the night away! It was really fun playing it with a group of 10 adults, all drinking wine. ;) We laughed and laughed and the good times were a rollin’!

IMG_1570

I lost a slipper in all the excitement! lol

IMG_1574

IMG_1586

IMG_1579

I win. bahah

IMG_1575

That would be the look of defeat on Eric’s face. LOL!

P1050755

P1050759

P1050761

We drove home late this morning and the first thing I did when I got home is 1) Make a Green Monster, and 2) Convince myself that a workout would make all the difference. I hadn’t worked out in 3-4 days and it was really started to hit me and I was feeling so sluggish. I felt so much better after running a few miles, even if it wasn’t all that fun while I was sweating! It is hard getting back into the groove, but I find if I just focus on doing a bit at a time and not setting my goal too high, I am more likely to just do it.

IMG_2261

I have a lot of unpacking and organizing to do the rest of the day. See you soon!

Page 2 of 2«12
Katy (The Singing Runner) December 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm

The food looks delicious!!! And it looks like the time after dinner was a blast!

Alisha December 27, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Nice! The food looked great :)

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 27, 2010 at 11:47 pm

What a beautiful table spread!! LOVE the wine glasses!

Ashley December 28, 2010 at 12:05 am

Looks like such a fun night of food + family. The Kinect photos are HILarious!!! :)

Shelby December 28, 2010 at 12:38 am

It all looks great!!! And your cursive writing is wonderful :-) Those nametags are beautiful!
And I loved the pictures of the Kinect game!! Hahahaa :-) and I LOVE the photo of your slipper flying off! Thats great!!!
I’m glad you had a blast!! And yes one day at a time and you’ll get back into the groove :-)
I always love reading!

Denise (the apple hill adventurer) December 28, 2010 at 1:00 am

that salad looks aaaaaamzing. recipe PLEASE. you blog is a nice inspiration. i have been having trouble with the people in my life accepting my veganism .. the holidays are especially hard. knowing there are other compassionate people out there is really comforting. BOOKMARKING your blog for sure~

Alaina December 28, 2010 at 1:17 am

I just had the Little Penguin wine for Christmas and I was really impressed! I think it was a Pinot Noir.

What a fun night playing Kinect! Your family looks like so much fun :-)

Leia December 28, 2010 at 3:59 am

I love that you are reading a food mag while on the treadmill! I’m so going to try that! :D

Danielle December 28, 2010 at 5:31 am

It makes me happy to know that I’m not the only one who has recipes that don’t turn out =)…I’ve been experimenting so much lately and haven’t had any luck! It was really discouraging until I talked to quite a few good cooks who have experienced the same thing!

I have to tell you though…if that vegan banana bread was sitting in front of me I’d eat the whole thing in one sitting! It looks so good! =)

oh and one more thing–how do you control your appetite duing the holidays and even in general? Because I’m supposed to gain weight, I’ve been allowing myself treats and this has caused me to eat way past the point of feeling full…where I feel completely sick. I’ve been giving in waaaay too much lately and have been sliding back into my old habits of binging and this scares me =/ How did you finally overcome your “binging days”? Any advice for someone like me? =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 9:07 am

Hi Danielle,
I wrote two posts on binge eating that may help you!
FAQ Installment 15 (binge eating: Part 1: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/02/04/the-unspoken-issue/

FAQ Installment 16 (Binge eating: Part 2: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/02/05/the-unspoken-issue-part-2/

Danielle December 28, 2010 at 11:09 am

Thank you so much Angela!!! =)

Lou December 28, 2010 at 5:40 am

that is barely anything they were mostly vegetables :) christmas is all about eating!
and i am definitely interested in the wheat berry and navy bean salad!

Kristy December 28, 2010 at 7:34 am

It is my life goal to come to one of your fancy dinner parties. I want a little bulb with my name card on it :-) just once….

Dani @ Body By Nature December 28, 2010 at 7:48 am

What a gorgeous dinner!

I would love the recipe for the wheat berry/navy bean salad…those are 2 of my favourites!!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 28, 2010 at 7:52 am

I’m like you: Partying is fun and all but after a week, my body craves a workout and some TLC :P I can’t wait to buy some kale so I can finally have a green monster :)

Elena December 28, 2010 at 8:00 am

Your meal looks delicious! I love the cookies and the idea of putting the names for each to the table…….You had a party time for an entire week.

tweal December 28, 2010 at 8:25 am

What a nice family celebration you all had – those croquettes look pretty good. Pretty table setting too :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 28, 2010 at 8:39 am

I’m super impressed that you can read a magazine while running! I’ve tried, but I just could not focus on the words at all!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 9:04 am

im not very good at it!!

jenna December 28, 2010 at 8:53 am

I would love to have the bean recipe! it looks amazing! I love that you get straight to business when you get home! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 28, 2010 at 9:16 am

My favorite part is that Granny is doing the Wii – HILARIOUS!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 28, 2010 at 9:16 am

I love that you guys were “boxing” on Boxing Day! :)

That wheatberry salad looks fantastic! Any tips on cooking them? I’ve only eaten it in restaurants and am in the mood to try it out at home.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter December 28, 2010 at 10:14 am

Wow! I absolutely LOVE those table decorations! I really want to do that for my family next year.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 28, 2010 at 11:35 am

What a delicious feast! Looks like you had an amazing Boxing Day and Christmas Ange! Can’t wait to catch up soon! :)

Amber K December 28, 2010 at 12:49 pm

That salad looks amazing! Yum. I would swap in quinoa because I love it, but still. Delicious.

Sommer J December 28, 2010 at 12:57 pm

great post!! looks like an amazing day with gorgeous food.

Cheryl December 29, 2010 at 5:33 am

What a lovely day! Makes me feel all warm inside when i see families enjoying each others company and just laughing and having fun. Angela your site has been such an insipiration to me, in many ways and i’m so grateful that you share your recipes and thoughts and experiences on here. I have just finished up cutting and pasting some of your recipes onto a word doc so that i can have a ‘recipe book’ to cook by. I have never been much of a cook but am inspired to give it a go in 2011. Thank you so much and happy new year! : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 8:43 am

Thank you Cheryl!

[email protected] All Ways Nutritious December 31, 2010 at 7:16 pm

your banana bread looks great. i posted one not too long ago from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen and it tasted amazing!! maybe give that one a try :) happy new year.