The Hummus That Changed Everything

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 4, 2010

20101115-IMG_0504

Happy first Saturday in December! :)

Is your shopping done yet?

I joke, I joke. ;)

Please tell me your shopping is not done yet. I will shed jealous crocodile tears if it is.

I have a couple quick announcements before I get into the post:

1) A huge thank you for your continued votes in Project Food Blog! Yesterday, I advanced to Challenge #9. I was a big ball of nerves all day I tell you. For challenge #9, they are cutting 12 contestants down to just 3 contestants for the final 10th round, so your votes will be more important than ever for this next one. Keep your eyes peeled for my 9th challenge post tomorrow. :) I’ve been working around the clock and very excited!

2) Holiday Glo Bar variety packs are on sale NOW (Sat Dec 4) and are expected to sell out quickly!

IMG_0452

And now on a more serious note, I talk hummus.

For hummus is not to be joked about. It is serious business.

The only problem with sharing a hummus recipe with you is that hummus taste preferences are so varied that it is difficult to say that this hummus recipe will be the perfect, life-changing fit for you, but I can tell you it is the right fit for me!

I can also tell you that the beauty of making hummus at home is that you can play around with the recipe to suit your own needs. Add ingredients like lemon, garlic, and salt gradually so you can taste test and adapt for your own preference.

With that being said, let’s get our hummus on!

IMG_4656

[print_this]

The Homemade Hummus That Changed Everything

Adapted from Barefoot Contessa.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups cooked chickpeas, liquid reserved and set aside
  • 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/3 Cup tahini
  • 7-8 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp reserved chickpea liquid (or water)
  • 4-8 drops of Tabasco sauce (amazing), to taste
  • Olive oil, for drizzling
  • Paprika, for garnish

Directions: Place all ingredients into a food processor (except the salt) and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Now add in salt gradually, stopping to taste as you go. I find the salt preference of hummus varies a lot by the person, so be sure to adjust it to your needs. Also, if you use unsalted chickpeas, you may need more salt. Scoop into a bowl and drizzle with a good quality olive oil and garnish with paprika. Makes about 2 cups and lasts for about 4-5 days in the fridge in a sealed container.

[/print_this]

IMG_4633

One thing I love about homemade hummus is that it is so quick and easy to make!

It literally takes just 5 minutes before you are stuffing your face in hummus glory. :)

IMG_4638

The original recipe calls for 4 cloves of garlic, so I tried that out yesterday and it was way too garlicky for my liking. Two cloves is perfect for me!

I also had to cut down the salt as my canned chickpeas were salted.

IMG_4640

After a few adjustments, the result was a creamy and smooth hummus with the perfect consistency.

IMG_4649

Dare I say this was better than my favourite Fontaine Sante store bought hummus? Yes, I think I do.

I looked at my mom and said, ‘I will never buy store bought hummus again.’

IMG_4661

Don’t forget to drizzle on olive oil and a sprinkle of Paprika. This truly makes the hummus pop and gives it that smooth, buttery quality going down.

IMG_4665

Just perfect.

IMG_4667

The recipe makes about 2 cups and provides a quick and easy lunch spread for wraps, sandwiches, crackers, and veggies.

IMG_4671

Or you can just spoon feed yourself straight from the food processor as you stand there in your hummus ecstasy.

Not that I have done that or anything…

Page 1 of 41234»
Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I love a good hummus! I ate an entire tub of white tuscan hummus from TJ’s in 2 days just this week. I have a hummus problem.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? December 4, 2010 at 12:17 pm

A little hummus hint for even smoother hummus (from my Assyrian friend!): Pop the chickpeas out of their little skins before processing… its AMAZING and so worth the time!

OSGMOM December 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Great tip. I’m going to try this!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 4, 2010 at 9:42 pm

very true!! so worth the time, result is amazing!

Kelcie December 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I LOVE making my own hummus! I also put cayenne pepper and chili powder in mine for a little extra kick. So yummy!

Maissa December 4, 2010 at 12:24 pm

This looks a lot like my dad’s recipe. He’s from the middle east (Tunisia) so he really knowsmwhat he’s doing. And although he might kill me for giving away his trade secrets, try adding just a bit of cumin in – it’ll take it to amwhole new level.

Ps. Congratss on making it to the nex pfbz round! I’m rooting for you to win this. Not only are you awesome, but we need some Canadian representation out there.

kristle December 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm

i love cumin! just made this hummus recipe today and had to add some to it x)

Chloeandwahid August 27, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Tunisia is North Africa.. No way the Middle East

rebecca lustig December 4, 2010 at 12:26 pm

ive been looking for a clean, easy hummus recipe– THANK YOU!!!

Jenn (GH) December 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I’m so excited for you!!!!!! :-D

I love hummus. LOVE. IT.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I asked my parents for a small food processor for Christmas and this is definitely going to be one of the first things I make with it. :D I’ve always wanted to make my own hummus.

Martha December 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Congrats! You’ve got foodbuzz in the bag…

Camille December 4, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Hummus is reallly high on the list of things I have been wanting to make. When my food processor arrives, it will probably be the first thing I make :)

Rhea (Greek Feaster) December 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Brilliant! I read on another blog (Eating Bird Food, mayhaps?) that removing the little chickpea husks (tedious business) yields an ultra-smooth hummus. I like mine with smoked paprika on top for an unexpected zing a ling!
A college roommate of mine made hummus once and I remember being so impressed! It
s definitely one of those recipes you can crank out at home and put out in lieu of store bought. I do like the cilantro-jalapeno version from Trader Joe’s, though :)

Bridget December 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I am so so so happy you made it through!!! I knew you would :) Now lets see you take it all the way to the top!

In regards to christmas shopping……..? yeah….i’m not even close to being done!

Lauren December 4, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Congrats on Foodbuzz :)

Britt December 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Yum! I’m a huge fan of a hummus recipe from Coconut and Lime, however hers is REALLY spicy. I think I’ll give this one a go!

Congrats on the challenge! I’m making your blondies tonight! :)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 4, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I love hummus! I’ve never made it myself. Did you peel the chickpeas??

Lisa December 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I just made a variation of this hummus recipe this afternoon! I, however, love the garlic so I put 5 cloves! I omit the tahini because every time I buy it (for this purpose only) it goes bad before I get a chance to use it all :(

Congratulations for making it through to the next round of PFB!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 4, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Congrats on moving forward in FoodBuzz! I’m voting for you!

This hummus looks soooo good. I use infused olive oils with mine for extra flavor – love rosemary and roasted garlic.

Nicole @ Yuppie Yogini December 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I’m a huge hummus fan. I use dried beans and heavily salt them while cooking–huge difference. I also like cumin in my hummus. Tabasco is a new idea to me, but I’m excited to try it!

Katy @ A Healthy Shot December 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

This is the recipe I use, sans tahini and hot sauce. I haven’t had store-bought hummus in over a year! Sometimes I throw in some basil for something different. And straight from the food processor is always necessary ;-)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm

First off congrats on the Foodbuzz, you’ll totally make it to the top!! Everybody loves OH SHE GLOWS! :)

An amazing addition to hummus is cilantro!! I didn’t believe it, but it’s oh so good!
Also adding different nut butters instead of tahini, so good!!

Liana @ femme fraiche December 4, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I am obsessed with hummus. I actually just discovered Fontaine Sante at Costco and I swear my mom and I have become addicted. We refuse to buy any other kind. But now…you have given it some serious competition!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 4, 2010 at 1:42 pm

My grandpa is israeli and makes hummus from his old family recipe ;) He soaks a big bag of chickpeas overnight then boils them and makes HUGE amounts of hummus for us that never last more than 3 days :) Yummmm, I want him to come back to visit now!

Elle @ Acquired Tastes December 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm

How would you say this recipe compares to the other one you have? I think it was called 50 cent hummus? I like that one a lot :)

Ashley December 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Oh my goodness that hummus looks delicious! Congratulations on Project Foodblog I’ll keep voting for you!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 4, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I definitely have a hummus addiction – we’ve talked before about the huge tubs from Costco… don’t get me started. :) This looks really great though – I always have a hard time making hummus at home – it is NEVER the right consistency!

Allison December 4, 2010 at 1:58 pm

1st, homemade hummus is the best and its so easy (and much cheaper) then buying it from the store and 2nd, I know for a fact that this is good cause i always add siracha to my hummus and it is beyond amazing!!!! The heat from the siracha (or hot sauce) compliments the other flavors perfectly!

YAY!!!! I am super excited for you to win the whole competition:):):):) I think you should have a glo bar giveaway when you win!! just an idea….;);)

jeffie December 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm

that looks incredibly delicious :)
i am definitely adding some tabasco in my hummus!

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) December 4, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Holy yummm. That looks amazing!

Lisa December 4, 2010 at 2:40 pm

You can never go wrong with Ina; tried & true.

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Thank you thank you thank you for the hummus recipe! :) Once I have a food processor, I will be making this!

Catherine December 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Congrats on your progress in Foodbuzz – your entries are great! And thanks for sharing the side by side photos of you and Eric in your last post. You two look great! I just showed my husband for inspiration.

Any suggestions for tahini relacements? I know it’s difficult because that gives a lot of the smooth texture.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010 at 1:36 pm

im not sure there would be a sub for tahini in this recipe since it requires so much of it

Jessica January 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I know this is old but I use plain non-fat yogurt. Actually I use plan non-fat Greek Yogurt now.

Krystina (Basil & Wine) December 4, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I love mixing hummus with tempeh and making a Mediterranean “chicken” salad of sorts. It’s delicious!

[email protected] Stepping to the Brightside December 4, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Big congrats on moving ahead to the next round of Project Food Blog! I can’t wait to see what you have in store :) That hummus is a lot like a recipe I use from the restaurant I work in. Next time I make it, though, I’ll use a food processor (I’ve been using a blender) and add the lemon/ salt to taste instead dumping everything in at once.

Healthy Chocoholic December 4, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Yummy!!!! I don’t think that I’ve ever made or had hummus, even though I have tahini sitting in the cabinet…..now I have a yummy-looking recipe to try out!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Hummus! I love it. I went to a restaurant dedicated to hummus this week. Now I shall make my own and open my own restaurant! Just kidding. But I have bought many disappointing hummuses from stores and only like one brand, so I am looking forward to trying yours! (Most likely with Mara’s tip above for extra creaminess!) Thanks Ange! P.S- I’m looking forward to voting for you in the next challenge!!

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo December 4, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Congrats on advancing! I’m definitely going to be making this hummus…tomorrow, perhaps?

Leanne @healthfulpursuit December 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Or you can just spoon feed yourself straight from the food processor as you stand there in your hummus ecstasy = I’m so glad I’m not the only one that does exactly this.

Congrats on advancing! Can’t wait to see what’s up next.

ezzie December 4, 2010 at 4:33 pm

that hummus looks diivinnee! & i LOVEEE tabasco sauce~!!

ezzie December 4, 2010 at 4:33 pm

that hummus looks diivinnee! & i LOVEEE tabasco sauce~!!

Bronwyn Coyne December 4, 2010 at 4:48 pm

OH yum! I love hummus. :)

Kim December 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Congrats on the contest -I think you have it in the bag!

That hummus looks wonderful, so making it this weekend!