Christmas in Alberta: Part 2

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 3, 2010

IMG_4185

IMG_2250

IMG_3553

IMG_3559

Eric wrapping our nephew’s gifts!

IMG_3561

IMG_3566

IMG_4141

Rudi and his catnip that got stuck on his tooth.

IMG_4494

Flashback five years ago to Christmas 2005…

DSC01998

DSC02005 DSC02000

2010:

IMG_2253

A lot healthier these days!

20101128-IMG_3842

This was before a dinner out on Saturday night to an Italian restaurant.

20101127-IMG_3611

I realized it was a bad choice not wearing an empire waist for that meal!

Then we were back in the kitchen once again with Timmy’s coffee in hand and recipes in the other.

IMG_4488

OSGMOM had a couple helpers…and I got to wear my new polka-dot apron from my sis.

IMG_4508

I made ultra fudgy brownies with spelt flour.

IMG_4518

I let someone lick the spoon when it was all over! :)

IMG_4525

Then we got busy on dinner.

IMG_4535

Mom made a regular mac ‘n cheese and then I made the vegan mac ‘n cheese.

IMG_4542

This time I doubled the sauce recipe and it turned out even better.

It was so good, I revised the original recipe!

IMG_4546

Everyone tasted it and said they couldn’t tell it didn’t have cheese in it. :) My mom actually preferred the vegan version and said she will make this from now on. We also agreed that the sauce would be wonderful over broccoli.

IMG_4568

We had a big sweets tray for dessert filled with Soft peanut butter cookies, ultra fudgy brownies, ultimate oatmeal raisin cookies, and other goodies.

IMG_4584

IMG_4603

Hi Pete :) (my brother in law)

IMG_4607

Then we opened a few gifts…

Rudi wanted to come home with us.

IMG_4616

IMG_4622

Sketchie had to put his foot paw down though.

Coming up, the hummus recipe my mom introduced me to that changed everything…

IMG_3552

I actually said the words, ‘I’ll never buy store bought again.’

I don’t joke around when it comes to hummus.

Page 2 of 2«12
traci December 3, 2010 at 2:11 pm

What a fun time and a beautiful family :) You really do glo. I’m glad you had a great trip!

Jenny December 3, 2010 at 2:12 pm

your sister’s sparkly dress is FABULOUS!

Kath December 3, 2010 at 2:26 pm

OMG RUDI!! xoxoxo

Moni'sMeals December 3, 2010 at 2:37 pm

wow! Radiance and Health is what I see. :)

Noelle December 3, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Oh I can’t wait to read about the hummus!

Healthy Chocoholic December 3, 2010 at 2:46 pm

All of your pictureslook sooo professional!!!!!!!! Gorgeous! The food looks tasty, too! I’m glad you had a good time visiting your family!

Ashley (Taste For Healthy) December 3, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Beautiful photos!! And you look so radiant & healthy in all of them! Looks like you had an amazing time!

P.S. I really love your necklace… it makes your face sparkle even more! :)

Camille December 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm

You guys all look gorgeous all dressed up! It looks like a wonderful time :)

Amber K December 3, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I’m addicted to hummus. A homemade version that’s worth it? I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure it’s there.

Alaina December 3, 2010 at 3:22 pm

You look so happy and cute with Eric!! And I love that cat. Reminds me of my parents except different colors.

Glad you had a happy holiday!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 3, 2010 at 4:13 pm

what beautiful photos, angela!!!

of your family, food, YOU, kitty, tim horton’s coffee :) and just the special times…gosh, I can feel the love and holiday spirit in this post!

have a wonderful weekend :)

Alicia December 3, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Hummus should never be joked about. Looks like a fun time! Can’t wait for the hummus recipe :)

Gina December 3, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Wow, Alberta, GA looks so beautiful! Especially this time of year.

Love your photos, you look stunning! So happy and healthy :)

Lauren December 3, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Doubling the sauce? Genius!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Wow, what a difference between 2005 and now! It looks like you guys have aged in reverse. It’s amazing how good health and happiness can make such a difference in our appearances. :)

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo December 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm

You look gorgeous in that dinner pic! It’s a very pretty dress. I can’t wait for the hummus recipe; we made some over the Thanksgiving weekend, but I’m curious to see what yours has in it.

Cara Craves... December 3, 2010 at 6:40 pm

It must be fun to be able to spread out your Christmas celebrations like that…
makes the season feel a lot longer.

Looking forward to the hummus recipe.

ronnie December 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Great looking food, Angela! And you two look lovely in your photos- so happy and glowing! I’m actually having a party for my mom’s b-day soon and was wondering what to make for dinner. Any ideas? I’d like to make something that we don’t usually have or haven’t had before, but I want to make sure I’m making something that someone will definately recommend to me. I’m trying to find dinner and dessert. Ahhhh! What would you say about your mac n cheese or cheryl’s spinach cheesy pasta you’d posted before? Anyway, nice to see you had a good time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Id go with the mac n cheese…it’s delicious!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! December 3, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I actually told my husband he’s not allowed to let me buy storebought hummus ever again! So far, it’s worked!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 3, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I loooove your apron!

Anne Marie December 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Oh my goodness, I MISS TIM HORTONS! I’m from Buffalo, NY…this will be my first winter without TImmy Ho’s hot chocolate :( …until I go home to see my family! Great post, as always!

lindsay (goodiesgalore) December 3, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Damn girl, you look smoking in that black dress!

Lisa December 3, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Ok you, your mom, & sis look like the Barbie Christmas edition! So pretty.

stacey-healthylife December 3, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Eric looks so much healthier and happier 5 years later. You to look very healthy and happy together.

Stephie December 3, 2010 at 9:52 pm

YOU MADE IT THROUGH TO THE NEXT ROUND ON PROJECT FOOD BLOG! Congrats!!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2010 at 9:35 am

thanks!!!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Wow! Eric looks so much younger now! Go you two!!
Congrats on advancing to the next round in PFB!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Thanks for the heads-up, Stephie!)

Bronwyn Coyne December 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm

OH so good. I really must try the vegan mac n cheese this christmas when I’m home. Hopefully the parents will want to eat some. heeheehee. :D

Andrea Bloomfield December 3, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Your pictures are amazing Angela ~ my family lives 12 hrs away in KY, USA and I can’t wait to spend some holiday time with them in a few weeks! I tried the mac & cheese and I think’ll I’ll double the recipe next time as well. Can’t wait to hear about your hummus recipe….one of my fave foods of all time!

PS – congrats on making it through to the next round in the Project Food Blog – I think you have a really good chance of winning – Good Luck!!!

[email protected] December 4, 2010 at 2:09 am

that mac and cheese looks amazing!!!!

Marina December 4, 2010 at 2:17 am

Everything looks so beautiful, and cozy! But you three girls are really stunning, and glowing with happiness!

Marie @ quarterlife quandary December 4, 2010 at 6:10 am

to echo everyone else- you are positively glowing with happiness- it’s so genuine and great to see! makes me so excited to go home over the holidays! :)

JL goes Vegan December 4, 2010 at 6:52 am

What a gorgeous holiday! I must try that mac and cheese. I’ve yet to make a vegan one (and love the idea of using the sauce over broccoli…which reminds me of a non-vegan broccoli casserole my mother used to make every holiday…maybe your cheese sauce can veganize it! Must try!

jen December 4, 2010 at 7:02 am

Beautiful pictures!!! Love the transformation from 2005 until now! You both look a lot happier :)

Jen

annelies December 4, 2010 at 7:08 am

What a feast! I especially loved you making vegan mac n cheese that outshined the regular. I too am a hummus fiend and find it’s so easy to make homemade (I like mine really lemony).

Casey Thomas December 4, 2010 at 7:50 am

Looks like you had a fabulous time! Hope the missing-the-family-blues pass soon!

Roz December 4, 2010 at 9:19 am

What wonderful photos. You and your husband do look healthier now. And Rudi? AWWWW!!!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) December 4, 2010 at 10:35 am

I love that kitty picture! Too much catnip, I guess. :) Looks like you and your family had a wonderful time.

Kim December 4, 2010 at 3:46 pm

So excited to try the hummus!

I have been baking a lot of your cookies lately (tis the season) and had a question. When it asks for maple syrup is there anything else that you could substitute for it? maybe honey?

I so love your recipes! They are great because they do not make a ton of food and simple to create. Thanks so much for making my life easier :)

Chelsea @ LoveBugBites December 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Love your christmas pictures!! they all look so beautiful. Hope you had a great time visiting with family, can’t wait till I get to visit mine!

Kim Dave December 8, 2010 at 11:08 pm

OMG I finally got to make the Vegan Mac & Cheese and it is beyond amazing! Everyone couldn’t believe there was not cheese in it. I realized I didn’t have any lemon when I came to that part so I used a little less lime and added some water and I couldn’t tell any difference. Yummy! Thanks for making such awesomeness!

I have also been making lots of your cookie for the holiday season. They are so fantastic. I did have a question. When it calls for Maple Syrup is there something else I could sub for it. Maybe honey or Agave Nectar?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 9, 2010 at 12:00 am

ususally honey or agave work as subs, although they will change the flavour a bit :)