Christmas In Alberta

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 30, 2010

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your kind words about my Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls entry for Challenge #8! The post was in the works for about 3 weeks now and I was soooo happy to finally hit publish. Voting is now open if you care to show your support. They are cutting 50% of contestants, so only 12 will remain for round #9.

20101129-IMG_3889

What’s with all this snow, you ask?

Eric and I are in Alberta visiting my family for an early Christmas celebration!

20101128-IMG_3717

We leave on Wednesday and I am already very sad to say goodbye to my family. I’m pretty sure I am going to stuff my nephews in my suitcase and make a run for it. ;)

We were a bit scared during the days leading up to our trip out West because we heard that there was a deep freeze going down in the Prairies…

20101127-IMG_3587

Burrrrrr.

Luckily, OSGMOM told us that it would be ‘warming up’ to –10C by the time we arrived.

Err… ;)

20101129-IMG_4102

I need layers…lots and lots of layers.

I have also been drinking my body weight in hot chocolate and tea.

20101127-IMG_3555

Luckily, fur ball Rudi has been keeping us warm…

20101127-IMG_3549-2

He is never cold!

Well, sometimes…when he wants to snuggle up to The Cat Whisperer (Eric).

20101128-IMG_3635

I hope Sketchie doesn’t see this!

20101128-IMG_3627

They have a view of The Rockies from their backyard. I guess this makes up for the cold! :)

20101129-IMG_3844

Gorgeous, eh?

20101129-IMG_3856

My mom and sister Kristi surprised us with a mostly vegan Christmas dinner on Sunday night.

20101128-IMG_3678

It was very exciting.

I came into the kitchen to find that they were working hard on a bunch of my recipes!

20101128-IMG_3646

Remember that crazy night?

This time I got to have it made for me!

20101127-IMG_3595

Mom said, ‘I hope you will still love me if I screw up these recipes!!’

I said, “I don’t care what you do as long as I don’t have to cook!’ ;)

20101128-IMG_3694

I had total faith in my worker bees.

I kept them in line with a spoon!

20101128-IMG_3697

I got to make the vegan gravy and then I forgot about it on the burner and nearly fried it! Just a day in the life…

20101128-IMG_3707 20101128-IMG_3713

20101128-IMG_3743

20101128-IMG_3840

20101128-IMG_3764

20101128-IMG_3756

The non-vegans had stuffed chicken and myself and my friend Ashley had In A Jiffy spelt veggie patties.

20101128-IMG_3769 20101128-IMG_3774

They were awesome in a roll with vegan gravy! It was a great idea to make for the vegan protein portion.

High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes:

20101128-IMG_3771

I also brought along Soft Peanut Butter Cookies for my nephews and the rest of my family. They were a huge hit!

20101128-IMG_3644

20101128-IMG_3660 20101128-IMG_3661

20101128-IMG_3659

20101128-IMG_3673

Mmmm, I filled my plate and was one happy vegan!

20101128-IMG_3794

I had a whole wheat dinner roll with vegan butter, peas, butternut squash, This Ain’t Grandmas Sweet Potato Casserole, High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes, In A Jiffy Veggie Spelt patties, vegan gravy, and Cranberry, Pear, and Pecan Spinach Salad.

20101128-IMG_3715

For dessert, my mom made my Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream!! Gosh I love this dessert.

20101128-IMG_3805

And some non-vegan layered cake!

20101128-IMG_3806

The boys watched the Grey Cup football…

20101128-IMG_3780

The ladies did not. :)

Then we exchanged gifts with Kristi and the family. I got some amazing pictures of my nephews, a new apron, a holiday table runner, and artwork from my oldest nephew. :)

20101128-IMG_3828b 20101128-IMG_3839

I told my nephew that my fridge was covered in his artwork, but I was going to add all of the new drawings to it too, and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and he said, ‘REALLY???’

Then Papa and mammoth Kinder Eggs stole the show and that was that!

20101128-IMG_3824

Well, we are off for another day of adventures. See you later!

Page 3 of 3«123
Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 30, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Aw, how fun!!! That makes me so excited for Christmas!

Lois November 30, 2010 at 10:05 pm

That looks like the view from my sister’s house… they must be neighbors! Enjoy your family vacation.

KaraHadley November 30, 2010 at 10:30 pm

your family seems so amazingly supportive. that must have been the best christmas gift ever.
oh, and your nephews seem too cute for words.

Alicia November 30, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Sounds like a fun time! That marshmallow sweet potato yumminess looks sooo good, is that recipe in your recipe section? (not sure what its called)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] November 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I love the pic of the boys! Too cute.

Laura November 30, 2010 at 11:46 pm

An early Christmas celebration! So fun!
I havent even started shopping :O

Kate @ Walking in the Rain December 1, 2010 at 12:01 am

That view is amazing!

Rudi looks like a great way to stay warm if its -33C.

Steph in Dubai December 1, 2010 at 1:55 am

I wondered where you were! Glad you are having a good time with your gorgeous family!

Wei-Wei December 1, 2010 at 3:03 am

Your family is amazing! Their acceptance of your veganism is lovely, too. Have you done a post on that? I’m curious to know what they thought when you first went vegan!

retro sweets December 1, 2010 at 3:59 am

It’s only December first and you already got your gift???? Huhu.. will you be my Santa and give me that cute little fuzzy cat? :)

Anyway, I love your dinner table. I thought you’ll include the brown ribbons in your peanut butter cookies, they look great with it.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes December 1, 2010 at 7:01 am

All this good looks so good! If only I could climb into the pictures to enjoy the food with you!

Kristy December 1, 2010 at 7:34 am

That was so kind of your family! Y’all look so happy!!! :-)

Liana @ femme fraiche December 1, 2010 at 8:19 am

Awww what a special holiday. I loved your table decor…have a great trip! It looks beautiful

Coco December 1, 2010 at 9:54 am

The roasted butternut squash pic looks so good. Butternut is such a sultry vegetable, especially when purreed to make silky soups!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 1, 2010 at 10:58 am

beautiful photos! i love clear teapots – i see it hidden in that photo haha!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 1, 2010 at 11:03 am

You guys look just alike – and you’re all gorgeous! (So is the food! :) )

Amy at TheSceneFromMe December 1, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Oh how I’d love a piece of pumpkin gingerbread cake now! I love icing and that all looks scrumptious!

Erin December 1, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Welcome back to Alberta! It’s hard to beat on a sunny winter day, especially when you can see the mountains. It’s so beautiful here today – glad you got some nice weather in the end :) You sure look like your mom and sister. What a beautiful family. Your dinner looks amazing too! It’s awesome that your family is so supportive.

Christina December 1, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Angela,
You obviously have some mad photography skilz girly. Would you mind sharing a bit about the SLR camera that you use, and how you’ve developed your skills over the years? I am really interested in purchasing a DLSR camera, but am a bit intimidated by all the choices out there. Thanks so much!

Jessica @ Jessica Balances December 1, 2010 at 2:28 pm

OH my goodness – Eric, the Cat Whisperer! So adorable and funny! :) glad you are enjoying an early holiday!

Becky December 1, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Love your post! It looked so beautiful! I love snow! I have a question do you have any kind of recipe for a vegan pizza? I love pizza and I have been craving it, but didn’t know how to make it vegan. I am new to vegan, I also incorporate raw into my diet, however, it is getting cold where I live and I need some warm food. Thank you so much! I hope that you had a safe trip home!

Allison December 1, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Wow, your pictures look amazing! I can’t believe all that snow up there! We just got our first flurries in Chicago!

Roz December 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Those are fantastic photos. Looks like you are having a great time! And Rudi is adorable!!!!

kristin @ the expat diaries December 1, 2010 at 7:26 pm

It’s so awesome that they surprised you with your vegan yummies. Have a wonderful visit! Those sweet potatoes look SO amazing. And the Rockies aren’t to shabby either!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) December 1, 2010 at 9:25 pm

What a beautiful Christmas you had with your family :-)

Laura December 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Love the fluffy kitty!!! My mom has those same bowls with the nursery rhymes written inside.

Erica December 2, 2010 at 3:37 am

I’m glad to hear you’re having a wonderful time in Alberta (and that you escaped the weird cold snap, especially since it’s not usually past -30 until jan/feb). Since you’re so close to the mountains, if you have the time, you should give some of the trails a try; there are few things prettier than the Rockies in winter.

Thanks for sharing your lovely photographs with us readers.

RhodeyGirl December 2, 2010 at 8:53 am

Now I am REALLY excited for the holidays!!!!!!

Have fun with your family. It is so sweet that they made such an effort to have vegan dishes! They are awesome!!

Hope December 2, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Lurker but never a commenter….. but I’m quite curious, is that picture of Springbank Rd just outside of Calgary?

Love your site and recipes, I have tried so many and never had a failure yet! Glad you had a great trip!

Helen December 11, 2010 at 3:19 pm

i made your gingerbread, but omitted the pumpkin and altered the frosting a bit–instead of using the spice blend, i used 1/4 tsp peppermint extract and once i frosted the gingerbread, sprinkled crushed candy cane on top. so good! a fun alternative of your recipe for christmastime. although, i will definitely need to make your pumpkin version next year!

Lauren October 20, 2012 at 12:17 am

Seriously in LOVE with the Beatrix Potter table wear! I would love to find something like that.