Weekly Health News

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 13, 2010

Well, it is a good thing I made energy bites for last night because we needed them to fuel our beer and chatting marathon on the couch!

Last night  = Sitting on the couch > Kinect

I am a strong believer in listening to your body and last night our bodies wanted beer, energy bites, blankets, and a comfy couch. The technical term is Pre-Winter hibernation I believe.

Lots of wedding talk occurred! Steve and Joanne are trying to decide what kind of wedding they want to have (destination vs home). It is a difficult decision!

Today, I am in the kitchen testing my pumpkin recipe should I advance to challenge #8 in Project Food Blog. Yesterday, I tested a pumpkin recipe that I had been planning all week and it was a huge and utter flop. I was left with a kitchen that looked like a bomb went off. Sometimes creating vegan recipes is not easy!

Now I start from scratch.

I threw around some ideas with Eric last night and I came up with a new idea that I hope will be great!

Because I am busy in the kitchen today, I thought I would do a health news round up for you today. :)

Health News Round Up

Random question of the day- If you are married, did you opt for a destination wedding or one in your area? If you are planning on getting married some day, have you thought about what you would do for your wedding?

Page 2 of 2«12
Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 13, 2010 at 3:41 pm

We had one in our area, because there were so many people we wanted there. I have so many loved ones that I didn’t want them to miss out! Plus, we wanted to get married in our church that we go to.

Krista @ Can't Survive On Yarn Alone November 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm

We got married in the area. We had a small wedding – about 100 actually were able to attend. We were able to have a low budget yet still raved about wedding. People who lived in the area could stop at home in between the ceremony and reception if they wanted. The most important part especially with it being February, if the weather was bad the driving wouldn’t be horrible for most people. A destination wedding would have been nice but then it would have been a possible financial burden on some of our friends and family. It wouldn’t be a question if they wanted to go but rather if they could without having to spend a small fortune.

kt November 13, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I had a traditional wedding, and although the day was a blast, I’m now envious of my brother and his wife who eloped and then had a giant, casual party afterwards. They saved so much money and didn’t miss the stress of planning a wedding for a year. My advice to people preparing to get married is to do what feels right to YOU, and don’t worry about what other people will think.

Jenny November 13, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I would definitely do the home wedding! I wouldn’t want people to not come because of how far it is..

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 13, 2010 at 7:06 pm

when we got married i had big dreams of getting married by the ocean, but we knew that not a lot of people would be able to come so we went with a local wedding instead. now that i look back i would have done a destination wedding anyway…and just invited fewer people!

Gypsy November 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I’m currently engaged and of course everyone’s question is “when is the wedding?”
I consider myself pretty girly but for some reason never dreamed of the big day and have no desire to plan a big wedding. Honestly, the only time I thought “well maybe…” is when I saw all your wedding pictures!!
But the biggest factor is the cost and we are saving for a house. Being such a practical lady, I just can’t fathom spending the money when I want to buy a house so bad.
I think we are going to the courthouse to get married and then a party afterwards. Or three parties: one here in LA with our friends, one in PA with his family, and one in MI with my family!

stacey-healthylife November 13, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Hope your recipe turns out soon so you can relax. Can’t wait to see it.

Kelly November 13, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I love your weekly health news- I don’t really have time to stay up on it all so I love that you do it for me. (I shouldn’t say I don’t have time, I don’t make time like you do haha).

I just got married this past summer. Our wedding was technically a destination because it was about an hour and a half away from our house and most guests stayed overnight. But it was good because everyone could come where as if we had to really far away, people might not have been able to. I loved our wedding, but I will say there were times during the planning process that I was really wishing we had done even closer.

Caroline @ NaturallyCare.blogspot.com November 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I love your round-up posts! All the health/food info I need in one place… perfection.

I’m only 18 so thinking of my wedding seems pretty crazy at the moment… But I guess I would have to say Santa Fe, New Mexico. So random, and not exactly an exotic place… but it’s beyond beautiful there. And I just love the vibe there!

Diana November 13, 2010 at 11:23 pm

If it makes you feel better, I’ve been working on chocolate chip cookie dough balls since Tuesday and made my sixth batch last night. Err…lol. I’m still not 100% happy with them, but I think I only have 1 batch left go. Anywho, I have no doubt your recipe will be just as fabulous as all your others!

As for the random question, hubby and I did a destination wedding in the Bahamas. We got married on a beach and it was sooo pretty! :)

[email protected] November 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm

i got married in my hometown, and it was wonderful but I wish I had known that I would have liked a smaller wedding. We invited as many people as we could afford/fit in the venue, but I wish we just selected our very closest friends and family. No regrets in the end though!

[email protected] Fitting It All In November 14, 2010 at 12:42 am

Love the news round ups. Thanks!

And I’m not married but know I will have a home wedding – likely my home town but depends on the groom too obviously. It’s just more important to me to have all my loved ones able to be there, and I love the traditions of a Church I grew up with and things. But each person is different! For me the destination part will be the honeymoon…just the two of us!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 14, 2010 at 12:53 am

I got married in my city, but I think destination weddings are awesome!!!!!

Teresa November 14, 2010 at 1:25 am

I think my husband and I have one of those great stories of how we met :). We were both friends with the same people (for years!) but had never been in the same place at the same time to meet. Then one day a bunch of us were invited to a friend’s house for a fun night of hanging out and he and I were the only ones that were able to show up! Funny thing was that we had even had other plans that night but decided we would go there instead. So we believed it was meant to be ;). Anyways that wasn’t what you asked! haha. 3 weeks after meeting we were married at the courthouse. Shock. His parents thought I had to be pregnant. Mine were very supportive. But VERY short “enagements” run in my family. We did have a church wedding 2 months later for the rest of our family and friends to attend. We chose this big huge church where my parents live. Since it was going to be Christmas time we figured we wouldn’t have to buy decorations because they always decorated beautifully for Christmas at the church. Lo and behold we picked the ONE year they chose not to decorate the church! LOL

laurak November 14, 2010 at 5:15 am

Hi Angela!

(Not sure whether I’ve commented before but LOVE LOVE your blog and read it daily!)

I’m not married myself, but I did have a very odd dream the other night about being proposed to and instead of saying ‘yes!’, being so overcome with shock that I responded with ‘thankyou!’, instead. Then, the following morning, one of my best friends called to tell me that her long term boyfriend had popped the question, and she was so surprised that the first thing she blurted out was ‘thankyou!’, herself! Haha, strange hey!

Laura :)

Traci November 14, 2010 at 8:18 am

My husband and I opted for a small ceremony on the beaches of San Desin ,FL. It was in November ,the weather was beautiful but the day we said I do was quite chilly. I have only the warmest memories though :)

[email protected] November 14, 2010 at 10:23 am

i loved watching the videos of the guy doing the junk food diet..or i guess the Twinkie Diet :) lol its too hilarious <3 all i would say to him would be "yea… well.. good luck with that" lol

Danielle November 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Hope you’ve been having a beautiful weekend. I cannot wait to hear what you came up with for your vegan pumpkin recipe. I have no doubt it is fantastic :)

As for the wedding q, I have definitely thought about it, but to be honest, the only thing I’m sure of is that I want my wedding to be small. I don’t know where it will be, what my dress will look like, or who will be standing across from me as I say my vows for that matter! I’ll let you know when I do ;)

Chryss November 14, 2010 at 1:35 pm

My husband and I rented the Bower Center in Elk Neck State Park in MD. It was about $900 to rent for the whole weekend and consisted of a fairly rustic main house with a kitchen, dining area, and a few bedrooms with bathrooms down the hall. (My parents arrived at the park office first thing the morning the rental selection started and secured the summer solstice weekend for us!) There was also a carriage house adjacent to the main house that was set up with maybe 15-20 beds and a shared bathroom. We hired a caterer for the food (all vegetarian), a college classmate who owned a flower shop prepared some basic arrangements and the corsages/boutonnieres, and a photographer friend took the pictures as a wedding present. I bought my Renaissance-style dress online for $200. My dad bought a keg of beer and we served wine and red wine with a champagne toast. We had the ceremony outside overlooking the Chesapeake Bay and dinner inside the main house, with all the doors open. It had poured early in the day, but cleared up perfectly in time for our evening festivities. “Parents” stayed until about 9 pm, then us “kids” partied ’till dawn with the keg bonfire on the beach. There was plenty of room for our friends to stay over, so no one had to drive after drinking. The out of town guests stayed the whole weekend, so that cut a big expense that I think everyone appreciated. Even after 10 years, all our friends say it was the best, most fun, and unique wedding they had ever attended.

Lea @ Healthy Coconut November 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I’m nearlywed and planning my destination wedding in a wonderful tropical location and what sold me is the privacy of the venue, a private beach/island that is accessible by boat. We will have the entire beach to ourselves, with our closest family and friends and also get to spend 3 days of tropical vacation with them.

For me, that’s how I want to celebarate my wedding weekend, and not just a wedding day.

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope November 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Angela,
So random, but…how would you veganize these burgers? They are so good, SO GOOD. They sound simple, but they’re amazing. They have 2 eggs to keep them together and parmesan cheese–any suggestions? I’m vegetarian, but like to try things vegan, too…:)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope November 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Angela,

miss muse November 14, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Niagara, Ontario is a great destination in wine country!

kathleen November 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm

My husband and I had a long distance engagement. I was in Boston, he was in Florida. I actually went through the process of trying to plan a wedding in Florida while I was in Boston (my family as well as his are in FL). Well, we ended up canning that plan and went to the courthouse shortly after we moved in together. I wore jeans and a white t-shirt and honestly, wouldn’t change how we did it for the world.

Halley (Blunder Construction) November 15, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Angela, I raced home today so I could watch your video (no sound at work!) It came out great! So worth all the effort you put in, good luck this round! My favorite part, I think, is at the end with Eric smiling at the end. He must be such a great helper :)

Halley (Blunder Construction) November 15, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Oops, this was obviously supposed to go on your next post.

Natasha November 15, 2010 at 12:35 pm

We went the Destination Wedding route in Punta Cana, celebrating our wedding with 53 of our closest family & friends in paradise!
My husband & I are so happy we made the choice to get married away, and are celebrating our one year anniversary tomorrow!

Sonia November 15, 2010 at 12:43 pm

The hubby, Eric, and I were married in Santa Cruz, CA this past July 3. :) We’ve been together for 6 years and married for 4 months. Lol. It was a local wedding since I’m from the Bay Area and he’s from Monterrey County. All of our family (except for my Hungarian side (they’re in Hungary!)) pretty much live in the area and only a few friends had to come from out of town (San Diego, where we met). We wanted to make it easy for our family and definitely cut costs down, so in total we had about 95 guests. I have no regrets about our location. A fun garden ceremony with tons of flowers in bloom and delicious steakhouse/reception hall to party in. It was a blur of an evening but ever so fun. Oh and my hubby had a BIG hand in planning the wedding. He was more into the planning than I was! :D We each had our personal touch and they went beautifully together.

Lindsey November 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm

My husband and I were married 3 years ago this December in Punta Cana, DR. Along with 35 of our closest friends and family we stayed at the Bahia Principe resort. It was such a stress free experience, the resort took care of everything for us! Everyone had a great time and we have a weeks worth or special memories. Oh and the tropical scenery provided a gorgeous backdrop for our photos!