Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 7, 2010

Good afternoon!

Well, it looks as if all signs point to waiting to upload my video until next Sunday. Thank you for all of your input in last night’s post. As Eric said, sometimes it is best to keep things under wraps. ;) The great news is that my post is completely finished and all I have to do next Sunday is hit ‘publish’. Thanks for your support and patience in waiting for the reveal of my video. I’m reeeeeeally excited for next Sunday and can’t wait to show you.

As you may know, I am a bit obsessed with these oat squares. So far I have made Strawberry oat Squares:

20101018-IMG_7579-3

and Buttery Apple Streusel Oat Squares

20101026-IMG_8798 (2)

This weekend I made Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans.

20101106-IMG_9808-2

I have been wanting to make this variety for a while now and I finally made a new batch of pumpkin butter just for this occasion. This recipe involves a lot of steps so you can make the pumpkin butter and candied pecans ahead of time if you prefer.

Pumpkin Butter Oat Squares with Candied Pecans

Ingredients:

For Oat Base:

• 1.5 cups regular oats
  • 1 cup whole-grain spelt flour (or kamut, whole wheat pastry flour, or white/whole wheat)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup Sucanat sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds+ 4 tbsp warm water, mixed well and set aside for 5 mins)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Earth Balance, melted
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp almond milk

Pumpkin Butter:

Candied Pecans:

• 1 cup candied and chopped pecans (See below for recipe)

Directions: Preheat oven to 275F. Line a square pan (I used a 9×9) with parchment paper and oil the sides of the pan and base. In a medium sized pot, prepare the pumpkin butter. Once cooked, remove from heat to cool.

Next prepare your candied pecans while the pumpkin butter is simmering. See below for recipe. When finished, set aside. Now preheat oven to 350F.

In a small bowl, mix the chia or flax egg and set aside. In a large bowl, mix the oat base dry ingredients: oats, flour, Sucanat/brown sugar, baking soda, salt. In a small bowl, mix the melted earth balance, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla, and chia egg. Stir well.

Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well, using hands to mix well. Set aside 1/2 cup of the oat base mixture if desired (I didn’t in this recipe, but I probably would next time). Pour the oat mixture onto the square pan and press down with fingers. Use a pastry roller to smooth out if desired.

Pre-bake the oat base at 350F for approximately 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and pour on 1.5 cups cooled pumpkin butter and smooth out with spatula. Now sprinkle on the reserved 1/2 cup oat mixture and 1 cup candied pecan topping over top of pumpkin butter.

Bake at 350F for another 8-10 minutes. Allow to fully cool on counter for about 20 minutes and then in the freezer for at least 30-50 minutes before gently removing from pan and slicing.

Baking notes: These bars taste better the next day after the flavours have developed and the moisture from the pumpkin butter has moistened the crust. Store in fridge for up to 1 week. I used spelt flour this time and I think it resulted in a more crumbly base, so I’m not sure I would use spelt flour again.

20101106-IMG_9756

Candied Pecans:

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted

Directions: Preheat oven to 275F. Add 1 cup of chopped pecans on a baking sheet and toast for 8 minutes being careful not to burn. Remove from oven and place in a large bowl. In a medium sized pot, add all ingredients (except pecans!) and heat over medium stirring well to blend. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low-medium to simmer. Be careful not to burn. Keep stirring the mixture for about 10 minutes until it gets thick and caramelizes. Once it has thickened up remove immediately from stove top and pour into bowl with pecans. Stir quickly being sure to coat all the pecans. This is a very quick process and it is essential that you not leave the syrup mixture sitting for any amount of time or it will harden.

When I made the candied pecans I did not stop to take a photo of the syrup and it worked SO much better! :)

20101106-IMG_9757

Much better than my walnut attempt.

Now make your oat base!

20101026-IMG_8824 20101026-IMG_8832  20101026-IMG_8844

I pre-baked the oat base for about 15-18 minutes before layering on Pumpkin Butter and pecan topping. I did this because I wasn’t sure if the crust would harden up if I baked it together with the pumpkin butter because the pumpkin butter has so much moisture in it. If anyone tries baking it all at once let me know how it works out!

20101106-IMG_9759

After pre-baking, spread on 1.5 cups cooled pumpkin butter. You could also use store bought pumpkin butter too.

20101106-IMG_9764

Mmmmmm.

20101106-IMG_9766

20101106-IMG_9769

Pumpkin butter goodness!

Now sprinkle on candied pecans and reserved oat mixture (I forgot this step again, but would do it next time!)

20101106-IMG_9772

Looking good.

20101106-IMG_9774

Bake for another 8-10 minutes and then cool for about 20 minutes on counter.

20101106-IMG_9776

Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes before removing from pan and slicing.

20101106-IMG_9798

Makes 16 squares.

20101106-IMG_9820

The squares are good after baking, but they are soooooo much better the next day once the flavours have had a chance to mingle and the moisture from the pumpkin butter has moistened the base.

20101106-IMG_9808

The pumpkin butter topping isn’t overly sweet (you may want to add more sugar when making the pumpkin butter), but the candied pecans give it a bit of sweetness and also a nice crunch.

I made these as a thank you gift for a friend and it is taking all of my power not to eat them!

20101106-IMG_9815

Anyone else forget about the time change today? I didn’t realize the time changed until about 11am and I have yet to change my clocks!

I embraced the extra hour in the day by catching on the phone with OSGMOM. I also had a beautiful 4 mile run. The weather is gorgeous today and it was just the perfect day to get outside and clear my head.

What did you do with your extra hour today?

I will see you tomorrow morning for a quick and easy dinner recipe inspired by a fabulous restaurant dish I enjoyed on Friday night.

Page 2 of 2«12
Alyson @ Nourished Fitness November 7, 2010 at 8:52 pm

This sound perfect, can’t wait to try them!

lindsay November 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm

i’m sure the video and post is perfect! Can’t wait! These bars look so good. I can’t get enough fall baking. Now, enjoy some down time with your hubs!
LC

Laughter-Loving Stacy November 7, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I slept in! I wake up super early every day of the week… so today I made it a relaxing first half of the day. :)

monicanelsonfitness November 7, 2010 at 9:30 pm

these look even better Angela …How do you do that!?

The extra hour was called “make an amazing breakfast” and I did. Pumpkin Pancakes with Persimmons and Apples. :)

Corey @ The Runner's Cookie November 7, 2010 at 9:37 pm

My extra hour was spent doing a double-shift of baking (which I’m sure you do plenty of everyday!) Those pumpkin bars look seriously amazing Angela – as always. I still want to make a blueberry version of those :)

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge November 7, 2010 at 10:17 pm

The extra hour this morning let me get up a little bit earlier than usual to bake up some snickerdoodle cookies for a bridal shower. I’m never a good baker and these came out perfect!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm

These look awesome!

I LOVE candied nuts. I am not really a raw nut, plain nut, salty nut girl…but candied. Now we’re talkin’!

What did I do with my extra hour? Unpacked my Food BUzz trip suitcase, caught up on emails, housework, hugged my family extra tight :)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 7, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Gorgeous pics and this recipe sounds… amazing! I love candied nuts.

sarahnotsoplainandtall November 7, 2010 at 11:51 pm

AHHHHH Im soooooo happy you posted this!! Last time I was at Trader Joes I bought some of the Pumpkin Butter and told my mom how I have heard so many people RAVE about it…yet I had no idea what to use it in!! Now I have a great way to put it to use!!

xx
@healthymodel

Katherine November 7, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Those candied pecans look amazing! I took advantage of my extra hour by “sleeping in” which really wasn’t sleeping in and going on an amazing long run!

Livvie November 7, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Is that rolling pin from Dollar-rama? I’ve searched and searched and couldn’t find one ANYWHERE. Anyhoo. These look yummy, but I am not a pumpkin fan, so hopefully, you make a pear one next! :)

I made these this week, because I actually had all the ingredients – I used agave instead of maple syrup though and it came out fine.. I made apple. so nice and yummy, and they get yummier every time I eat one (I think because they are sitting). I have to see if I can buy strawberries, and make an apple strawberry rhrubarb streusel batch. :D

[i got work done on my extra hour, and cooked. me + rice = fail].

Camille @ La Bella Vita November 8, 2010 at 1:04 am

I got up and tidied the house and hit the gym feeling refreshed. I definitely needed that extra hour.

Casey Thomas November 8, 2010 at 2:02 am

Oh my! Anything with pumpkin I luuuuurve!!! Nice job Angela

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed November 8, 2010 at 6:04 am

Ok….THESE take the cake. Seriously though, Angela, every time you come out with something even more amazing. How do you do it? :) No extra hour for me here in Australia. IF I did have that extra hour, no doubt I would have enjoyed an extra hour of sleep (couldn’t settle last night).
Heidi xo

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 8, 2010 at 7:32 am

These look amazing! I would have had trouble not eating them too. I bet your friend will LOVE them.

I took advantage of my extra hour by working on some assignments and studying. How exciting. :P

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 8, 2010 at 8:34 am

I so have to make these and your pumpkin butter!

Sierra November 8, 2010 at 8:53 am

You are AMAZING! Please don’t ever stop blogging! I was wondering, I don’t have chia seeds, can I do a flax egg or Ener-G egg replacer instead? Keep bringing us gluten-free recipes…I need them! :)

Jessica November 8, 2010 at 10:30 am

Of course pumpkin- why didn’t I think of that?! I made your recipe with raspberries and next I think I’ll try blueberry filling and add in some mashed banana to the crust and crumb mixture. This one’s so fun cause the combos are endless ;-)

Kaneil, The Ritts November 8, 2010 at 10:41 am

I went to mass and then dinner at the in-laws! Loved the extra hour!

These oat bars might be the perfect thing for me to bake for my students. Our school has had a complete nutrition overhaul and I want to bring in something healthy and delicious to prove how tasty healthy treats can be!

Kaneil, The Ritts

Amy November 8, 2010 at 10:59 am

I made the oat squares this weekend for the first time. I had about 15 plums from my CSA box that needed to be used, so I made plum butter. It turned out really good, I added cloves. With the oats and the crunchy topping – it was just perfect. Thanks for the great recipes!
I am addicted to your Pumpkin gingerbread!

Jenny November 8, 2010 at 11:02 am

I’m going to have to try this! I made the cinnamon apple ones and everyone loved them! Pumpkin sounds GREAT!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss November 8, 2010 at 11:19 am

That pumpkin butter looks so fantastically rich and thick! Beautiful!

amanda November 8, 2010 at 11:35 am

Those look delicious! I really want to try making my own bars, and these may just be first on my list!

Amber K November 8, 2010 at 11:38 am

I hate the change in time and dread it…well twice a year! It always messes me up. I’m sick, so at least thankfully this year it didn’t really affect me as my sleep is already disordered right now!

Dee November 8, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Oh my gosh! This looks absolutely heavenly!

Paige Dix November 8, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I can’t find your post from your dinner last night,regarding your stir fry. I made it tonight and it was a hit. We scraped the pan clean. Thank you! I am really enjoying your website. Thank you for being so honest. You are helping me and so many others. Keep shining your light!

Rebecca November 9, 2010 at 11:06 am

Angela, you are such an inspiring person. I read your blogs almost every day and I love how you share your stories on your road to health. Many women like myself struggle with weight issues, low self-esteem and thinking food is the enemy and you sharing your story is a reminder that we CAN be healthy and happy and love our food! You’ve not only made food fun, but also nutritional and energizing. I love your recipes and how you follow a vegan diet, as do I, and your recipes and blogs are a blessing. Thank you so much for allowing others to know they’re not alone and that there is hope.

Katherine November 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

I wanted to make these, but do not have chia seeds. Do you think a flax egg would work in place?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hi Katherine, I’m not too sure! I would suggest reading through the comments to see if anyone has mentioned using this swap.

Genesis January 9, 2013 at 11:16 pm

This may be a ridiculous questions, and since the last person to post was in 2010 this might not even be seen, but I’d like to try this recipe and I’m not sure what “regular” oats are… does that just mean not any kind of quick/instant oat but rather the large flake kind? I’d appreciate feedback from anyone who’s made this recipe with success!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013 at 8:53 am

Hey! I mean rolled oats :) Sorry for the confusion

Andrea January 31, 2013 at 7:08 am

Angela, do you think I could use quick oats instead of rolled oats in this recipe?

Nayla August 15, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Hi Angela,
I was wondering which Earth Balance product you used for the oat base. The link shows me all the products they offer. Thank you very much!

Angela Liddon August 17, 2017 at 11:31 am

Hi Nayla, I use the soy-free butter spread. I expect any of their varieties should work okay though! Hope this helps.

Dee October 10, 2017 at 7:45 am

I made these bars for Thanksgiving this year and, as suggested, reserved half the oat base for a second layer over the pumpkin butter. Every mouthful was a reminder of all things fall: toasted pecans, maple, spiced pumpkin; a lovely treat! My only difficulty was that all the layers made it really difficult to ‘set’ into a bar that I could cut. I ended up scooping it out more like a crumble. Next time, I think I’d use a bigger dish than a 9 x 9 to really get that firm bar consistency.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 10, 2017 at 8:11 am

Hey Dee, Thank you so much for your feedback! I’m so glad the bars were enjoyed, even if they were more of a crumble texture. Happy belated Thanksgiving :)