Twix or Treat Fingers

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 30, 2010

Good morning!

First of all, I want to say a huge THANK YOU for your votes in Project Food Blog Challenge #6. I received ‘Reader’s Choice’ for the last round and I couldn’t be more thankful for your continued support!! :) Challenge #7, is a video of a recipe, and I am equally excited and nervous for this next challenge.

Secondly, did Halloween ever creep up on me this year!

Let me briefly flash back to Halloween 2009

Alex, Krissy, and I were yoga instructors!

IMG_5788_thumb

and Eric was a Yogi Master…

IMG_5859_thumb

bahahhaa. Doesn’t he look overjoyed?

IMG_5777

Now you know me, I am all about decorating for every holiday. Well, sadly, this year I haven’t had time to decorate the house for Halloween!

I think I might have to move straight into Christmas decorations. :) It’s not like Eric and I haven’t been playing Christmas music lately…

I do have a delicious Halloween inspired recipe to share with you today to make up for my lack of Halloween participation this year…

20101029-IMG_9222

Twix or Treat Fingers (Millionaire bars)

Shortbread adapted from Mangio De Sola.

Shortbread Crust:

• 3/4 cup Earth Balance or unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Cascading Caramel

• 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 6 tbsp Soy Free Earth Balance
  • 2 tsp fleur de sel
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter

Chocolate Ganache:

• 3/4 cup good quality chocolate, chopped
  • 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk (the cream on top of the can)
  • 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F and line a  9 x 9 baking pan with two pieces of parchment paper (one covering each side). Lightly grease parchment paper. Cream the Earth Balance and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and salt. Stir in the flour just until the dough begins to come together in walnut-sized chunks. Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake 20-23 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Do not over bake.

While the shortbread is baking, make your caramel. In a sauce pan, add the Earth Balance and sugar and bring to a boil. Stir well and reduce heat to medium. Stir for a few minutes. Add in the salt, maple syrup, and peanut butter and stir well for another couple minutes. Heat over low until the shortbread has cooled for about 10 minutes. Now pour the caramel over top of the shortbread and spread out quickly until smooth. Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set.

Now make the chocolate ganache by heating the chocolate and coconut milk on low. Stir frequently until smooth. Now add in the maple syrup and stir. Heat on lowest heat setting until the shortbread is out of the freezer.

Remove the shortbread from freezer when the caramel is firm and sit for 5 minutes. Pour on the Ganache and spread covering all sides and corners. Place back into the freezer for about 20-30 minutes or until firm. Remove from freezer and let it sit for about 10 minutes before gently cutting the sides and removing from pan. Slice into ‘fingers’. Makes about 20-26 fingers. Keep in the fridge as the chocolate will get sticky when at room temperature.

I used cake flour for my shortbread because I was out of all-purpose and the result was a very crumbly shortbread. I would not suggest using cake flour!

20101029-IMG_9113

Smooth out your dough.

20101029-IMG_9121

Breathing holes. ;)

20101029-IMG_9123

After baking for about 20-23 minutes and cooling for another 10, pour on the cascading caramel…

20101029-IMG_9134

20101029-IMG_9137 20101029-IMG_9144 20101029-IMG_9151 20101029-IMG_9160

This is fun.

20101029-IMG_9168

Smooth out!

20101029-IMG_9176

That’ll do.

While it sets in the freezer for 30 minutes, make the Ganache.

Now pour onto the firmed up caramel…

20101029-IMG_9181

20101029-IMG_9181-2

Smooth out.

20101029-IMG_9199

Firm in freezer…and then gently remove from pan.

20101029-IMG_9206

Cut into fingers!

20101029-IMG_9218

Do some ‘quality control’ and taste test.

20101029-IMG_9219

While these fingers don’t taste exactly like a Twix bar, I really enjoyed them. Next time I would use all-purpose flour for the shortbread since I had such crumbly results with the cake flour.

20101029-IMG_9243

You might also want to try out these delicious Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups that I made a while back! They are AMAZING and I think they are my favourite.

IMG_8587_thumb

Recipe here.

1) Are you dressing up this year, if so, what will you be? 2) Will you be making any Halloween inspired foods?

I’m off to run some errands and then I have a day of recipe testing for Challenge #7. See you tomorrow for OSG’s 2nd birthday!

Page 2 of 2«12
Mimi (Gingersnaps) October 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Those look so tasty! I’m not dressing up as anything…but I might be making pumpkin muffins, haha.

Charlie October 30, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Those bars look delicious! Do you think I could use maple syrup instead of brown rice syrup in the caramel? I’ve never used brown rice syrup (never found it anywhere), so I have no idea what to use instead.

Charlie November 1, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Finally found brown rice syrup (two days after saying I can’t found it, they decide to add it as a new product at my grocery store :P). Definitely going to make those bars!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm

This are like a recipe for bars that I make, except I use oats in the crust part. Chocolate + caramel is to die for! :D

GFree_Miel October 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Love the yoga themed Halloween! I’m dressing up as a pirate this year (a sad fail after last year’s Edward Cullen costume). I have no Halloween themed recipes but my friend’s mom made us all of these treats last weekend, which I shared here: Summer Blog Project: http://www.glutenfreebiesbymiel.com/?p=84

I love your Twix or Treat fingers! They look so yummy. I can’t wait to make them gluten free!

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 30, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Oh Yum!! Quality control is the best!!!

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 30, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I’m dressing up as a classic nutcracker! Had most of the costume already, too…so proud!
And I’d love to bake treats, but I’m visiting my BF so the pre-made twix and snickers have had to do. TOooooo bad:(

Meaghen October 30, 2010 at 7:09 pm

My mom made millionarie bars last year for Christmas and I really enjoyed them!!

Congrats on making it to the next round of Project Food Blog!

Cyclist Kate October 30, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Oh my gosh! There aren’t too many sweets recipes I see anymore that really grab me and say, “you HAVE to make these!” but these did…so delish! Will definitely be making a batch soon.

I don’t really do Halloween anymore…really, we just turn off the lights, watch a movie, and hope nobody knocks on our door. Such Halloween scrooges, we are!

Paige @Running Around Normal October 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Those sound amazing! And twix is hands down one of my favorite candy bars. It’s the only one I haven’t been able to keep my hand out of from our trick or treat bags :)

Ashley @ Taste For Healthy October 30, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Angela, you are a baking genius!! I can’t wait to make these! Happy early Halloween!!!

Kristy October 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Those looks simply amazing! :)

Cara Craves... October 30, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Those treats looks divine!

My husband and I went as Alice and the Mad Hatter!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy October 30, 2010 at 9:34 pm

OH my gosh, those look sooooooooo frightfully YUMMO!!! I bet they’d be amazing if you used peanut or almond butter in place of the caramel, too. Oh I’m dying here…..!

Wei-Wei October 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I don’t remember what a Twix bar tastes like, the last time I had one was so many years ago! But… wow. It sounds awesome. Happy halloweeeeeen! :D (Cannot WAIT to see your PFB #7!!!)

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 30, 2010 at 11:20 pm

congrats on the win!
was totally pulling for ya.

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear October 31, 2010 at 3:42 am

Delicious looking fingers!

We don’t celebrate Halloween here like you do so no dressing up for me since there were no Halloween parties :D

Shannen October 31, 2010 at 7:45 am

angela, did anyone ever tell you how much you look like (a prettier) anna paquin from true blood? you should totally dress up as sookie ;)

Sara October 31, 2010 at 9:50 am

I’m going to be a Hogwarts wizard! Well, a witch technically. It’s a homemade costume, but I’m really excited! :D

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 31, 2010 at 11:19 am

They look just like Twix bars! Last night I was a punk rocker. My boyfriend was Indiana Jones (for the 4th year in a row…)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 31, 2010 at 5:10 pm

These look soooooooooooo good!

blair October 31, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I too suffered from disordered eating in the past. But about 6 months ago I decided enough was enough and I was going to learn to eat healthy, whole foods, with a sprinkling of cookies and cupcakes in there too. I wouldn’t say I’m 100% yet, but I know reading blogs like yours have helped tremendously. I love trying out your recipes! (I just made your perfect oatmeal raisin cookies last week and everyone I had try them LOVED them. And they had no idea they were vegan!)

Camille November 1, 2010 at 9:37 am

Happy 2nd Birthday! I love twix bars, I can not wait to try this recipe.

Camille @ La Bella Vita November 1, 2010 at 9:39 am

I dressed up as Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. It was classic, comfortable, easy, and inexpensive!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' November 1, 2010 at 10:54 am

Those bars look delicious! I love Twix, but I love finding “healthier” versions!! I actually made some Chocolate Almond Butter Cups this weekend for Halloween, and I don’t miss the traditional Reese’s at all!

I threw together a June “Cleaver” costume this year– zombie style. I’m not usually as excited about Halloween costumes as my husband, but I felt pretty good about mine this year!

And I may be already listening to some Christmas music, too… it’s totally acceptable now that Halloween’s over, right?! ;)

Lisa November 1, 2010 at 11:35 am

Oh man, those look so good! I ate way too much candy yesterday so I will try to avoid any baking for awhile. This might have to be Xmas treat…

k8 November 1, 2010 at 11:53 am

I was Julia Child. She was six foot tall, just like ME!

sara @ busy vegan mama November 2, 2010 at 8:27 am

those look awesome! my husband loves twix AND shortbread so i’ll have to make this treat for him! love your yoga instructor costumes! i didn’t dress up, just dressed up my little ones and took them on their first trick-or-treat!

Sarah November 2, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Do you think these can be frozen? I need to make some desserts in advance for an event I am helping to host.

Hmm I’m not really sure on this question, possibly! Generally I find I can freeze most things I make…heh

Amandah November 6, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Yummmmmm!! And yay, lululemon! I work there! I was Snooki during the day on Halloween, and Katy Perry at night, haha.

snenny September 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I made this today, and I swear it was like a religious experience. Dear sweet sweet mercy. Thank you.