The Other Pizzas: Dessert and Appetizer

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 19, 2010

Good morning!

20101017-IMG_7464

Can we just bottle Fall up, and not let winter come?

I went on a frigid 4 mile run this morning! It was -1C outside which is colder than it has been lately. I thought I might turn into an ice cube. I did 4 miles in about 34 minutes. The hot shower was so welcome today!

Pizza is all I can think about since discovering that pizza dough is super easy to make! Among my 10 trials of pizza that I did on Friday night and Saturday morning, I had two other successful outcomes. I thought I would share those recipes with you today. Up first, the delicious dessert pizza. My original idea for Project Food Blog Challenge #5 was to do a fun twist on a traditional dessert pizza and then I bailed at the last minute and decided that it was a bit too predictable. It still turned out wonderful though.

20101015-IMG_6342

[print_this]

Avocado-Lime Whip Fruit Medley Pizza in a Sugar Cinnamon Crust

Ingredients:

Pizza Dough:

• Homemade Cinnamon Sugar pizza dough (use same recipe here but use 2 tbsp sugar and 1.5 tsp cinnamon. Also sprinkle the entire crust before baking with turbinado sugar)

Avocado-Lime Whip:

• 4 avocados
  • Fresh lime juice from half a lime (approx 1 tsp)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 2-3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1-2 tbsp coconut milk
  • 12 tbsp icing sugar (confectioner’s)

Directions: In a food processor, add in the avocado, lime juice, and agave. Process until smooth. Now add in the vanilla, melted coconut oil, and coconut milk. As the last step, add in the icing sugar very gradually until the consistency you want is achieved. Cool in fridge for about 30 minutes before using. Spread over the base of cooled & cooked pizza crust.

Fruit Medley:

• Fruit salsa: Chop up a mixture of strawberries, mandarin oranges, mango, kiwi, and raspberries. Add in blueberries too. You will want about 2-3 cups of the salsa.
  • Fruit layer: Mandarin, strawberries (sliced), blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, kiwi (sliced), mango (sliced), and whatever else your little heart desires! Peach would be good too.

Directions: After you have spread on the avocado-lime whip, it is time to layer on the fruit. I started with an outer layer of fruit salsa, followed by a layer of sliced fruit. After those two layers, I did a very small layer of sprinkled coconut, followed by a layer of raspberries, and then finally fruit salsa. I left the inner circle open as I was going to put a large strawberry there, but then we ate it and that was that. ;)

[/print_this]

20101015-IMG_6347

Definite winner. I loved the avocado-lime whip too. It was a really unique way to change up the traditional cream cheese base. It was addicting and refreshing and I couldn’t stop eating it.

20101015-IMG_6341

Up next…HUMMUS PIZZA with a curry-infused crust!! Oh my word, did I love this pizza.

20101015-IMG_6333

[print_this]

Hummus Pizza on a Curry Infused Crust

Ingredients:

Pizza Dough:

• Homemade Curry infused pizza dough (use same recipe here but add in 1 tbsp good quality curry powder. Omit the other pizza herbs too.)

Hummus:

Garnish:

• Paprika
  • Olive oil

Directions: After pizza dough is cooked and cooled for just a few minutes, spread on a huge layer of the hummus (I used 2 cups approx) and then sprinkle with paprika. Drizzle on lots of olive oil and serve.

[/print_this]

20101015-IMG_6334

This pizza was incredible. I was seriously addicted and needed an intervention.

They would make a fun appetizer too!

20101015-IMG_6336

I have a few other ideas on my ‘pizza list’ that I still want to try out at some point! One of them includes Guacamole pizza. Mmmm.

If you could make any pizza combination in the world, what would you pick?? :)

Page 2 of 2«12
Eimear Rose October 19, 2010 at 11:48 am

When I think I might have a chocolate addiction, I just look to my boyfriend, and I look normal again! I seriously think it’s men who have the chocolate obsession, not women! And by the way, without sounding creepy (I hope), Eric is looking really great in recent photos- I meant to comment to a a recent post where you mentioned his continued pop avoidance. He’s a testament to the power of simply changes:)
Your pizzas look so beautiful. I’m not a pizza fan (not keen on pizza dough) but the toppings do look delicious:)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 19, 2010 at 11:50 am

I love the hummus pizza idea – it would be great with some roasted veggies on top!

Kelly October 19, 2010 at 12:06 pm

You are amazing. That fruit pizza looks to-die-for. Seriously!!!

Danica October 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Beautiful presentation. I never thought of a hummus pizza – that is a great idea.

I voted for ya :D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Avo Lime Whip. Swoooooon!

I have made avo chocolate mousse many times. In fact, it’s one of my secret party recipes. I always bring or make it for parties and NO ONE ever suspects what the secret ingredient is. Because if you put enough agave and cocoa powder in anything, you can always make it taste decadent :)

The lime + coconut flavors you used…oh I want that.

If I could make or eat any pizza…yours is looking pretty good. Cinny sugar crust? Oh that is SO ME!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 19, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Those all sound amazing! The appetizer idea is super cute. I’d need to be told in advance that there are MORE amazing pizzas coming so I wouldn’t just stuff myself with curry-hummus pizza. Because, that’s exactly what I would do :D
How cool would a 3 course pizza dinner be?

Janessa October 19, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Your pizzas both look great!

This pizza has been on my to-do list for ages:

VEGAN REUBEN PIZZA (holla!)

I don’t have the exacts narrowed down yet, but thinking caraway seed crust, vegan 1000 island sauce, sauerkraut, daiya mozzarella, and peppered tofurkey or field roast.

It’s either going to be so disgusting or extremely delicious.

Laurab @ foodsnobstl October 19, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Oh my. Does the avocado lime whip taste like avocado at all? I love the humus pizza, but i think I would top it with olives, feta, and roasted red peppers.

Dana October 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I think carmalized onions and olives would be great on the hummus pizza.

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing October 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Those look delicious! I’ve never heard of dessert or hummus pizza before but you can bet I’ll be trying them! I thought your blog content was great before, but it’s especially awesome lately!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I HAVE to try that dessert pizza!!! Oh my goodness gracious!

Mellissa October 19, 2010 at 1:15 pm

The fruit pizza looks great, normally I can’t eat them since I am allergic to cream cheese but this one I can do!

Lisa October 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm

That fruit pizza looks amazing! I love how colorful it is.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 19, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Now I want to host a vegan pizza dinner party!! This looks absolutely fantastic…it’s a tough call between the three pizzas, but since I love sweets, I’m going to have to go with the fruit one!!

Allison @ Food for Healing October 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Ooo fruit pizza, i haven’t had that for SO long. i was wanting to make it this summer, but i kind of forgot

Jesse October 19, 2010 at 1:53 pm

You have inspired me to make a Taco pizza, I think it would be so good with the guac. I also love hummus pizza but I like to add sliced tomatoes and cucumbers on top.

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) October 19, 2010 at 2:30 pm

You should definitely make a guacamole pizza :) Or maybe a Mexican style one…

Jo @JAGSfitnessblog.com October 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm

OMG I simply HAVE to try that sweet pizza! You are awesome Angela!!

Brooke October 19, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Angela,

Your fruit pizza looks not only delicious but BEAUTIFUL!

p.s. I’m *swooning* over the hummus pizza. Must. Make. Stat.

Moni'sMeals October 19, 2010 at 4:08 pm

You are on a roll sister!

My dream pizza… a cinnamon oatmeal buttery crust, nutella for the sauce, white and milk chocolate drizzles and for a topping-crumbled cookies of course all over the place. ;)
Has this been done before…

Melissa @ Delectable Living October 19, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Just one question– what did you do with all of the pizza you made?? Photos are beautiful as always :)

Imwaytoobusy October 19, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I am so glad you posted the fruit pizza recipe! The avocado-lime whip is genius!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 19, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Oh I love pizza–sweet and savory! I’ll have to try both of these recipes out!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 19, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I’m so curious to try that avocado-lime whip! That’s such a creative idea!

I know these already exist, but I’d love to try a sushi pizza. :D

Kate @ Walking in the Rain October 19, 2010 at 10:02 pm

The avacado-lime whip is intriguing. I bet it will taste good even if it isn’t on a pizza crust.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 19, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Perhaps a chocolate, bacon, cheese pizza … hehe! Do they make such a thing :-)

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 20, 2010 at 9:11 am

epic…
Heidi xo

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 20, 2010 at 4:30 pm

avocado and fruit?? together?! crazy, but i love the idea!

Kristen October 21, 2010 at 11:11 am

I really want to make a whole bunch of pizzas now.

Melissa July 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Hi! Do you know if anyone has tried the crust of the fruit pizza with gluten free flour? It looks delicious!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Hey Melissa, Im sorry Im not sure! I would try reading through the comments to see if anyone has mentioned it. Let me know if you try it!