Blanket Stew

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 13, 2010

20101013-IMG_6125

I love a good bowl of stew.

Not only is it one of my favourite cold weather foods (note: frost), but it is also one of the most comforting foods to eat.

Simmer some stew on the stovetop or in a slow cooker for a few hours and your house will be filled with the comforting aroma of herbs, spices, vegetables, and broth.

The experience of stew begins long before you even sit down to eat it.

20101013-IMG_6050

Blanket Stew in a Gravy Broth

This stew is the equivalent of wrapping yourself in a warm, fuzzy blanket in front of the fireplace (note: hot flash below). It can be customized to whatever you have lurking in your fridge or cupboards. I basically threw in whatever veggies I had to use up and it turned out wonderful!

Ingredients:

Gravy Broth

• 9 cups vegetable broth
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard
  • 1 tbsp tamari
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
  • 2 tbsp tahini
  • 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1.5 tbsp blackstrap molasses
  • ½ tsp agave nectar (optional)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil

Directions: In a food processor combine all broth ingredients except vegetable broth and puree until smooth. In a pot on medium to high heat, mix the vegetable broth with the processed mixture and stir well. Bring broth to a boil and then reduce to low heat. Add in chopped vegetables and grains (below).

Vegetables + Grains

You can customize this any way you like it!

• 2 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 acorn squash, peeled and chopped (butternut would work well here too)
  • 1 large can of corn, drained and rinsed
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped (I didn’t have any)
  • 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice, rinsed
  • 1/2 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed
  • Optional spices to stir in: 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • Black pepper and sea salt, as necessary

Directions (continued): After broth has come to a boil and is now simmering on low heat, add in chopped vegetables and rinsed grains. Stir well. Bring to a boil again and then reduce to low heat. Add in optional spices if preferred. Simmer on low for 1.5-2 hours, making sure to add more vegetable broth if it gets too thick. Serve with a big hunk of bread!

20101013-IMG_6052

Make the gravy broth (loved it!) and chop the veggies…

20101013-IMG_6055

This stew is great for those times when you have veggies on their last legs that need to be used up!

20101013-IMG_6060 20101013-IMG_6063

Side note: I despise peeling and chopping acorn squash. I felt like chucking it out the window, but I resisted.

20101013-IMG_6064

Rinse your lentils and brown rice…

20101013-IMG_6073

20101013-IMG_6075

And dump everything into the big pot of goodness!

20101013-IMG_6089

I love one pot meals I tell ya. Especially after a loooong day of baking.

20101013-IMG_6108

Stir it up!

20101013-IMG_6114

After about 1.5 hours of cooking on low it was thick, rich, and flavourful. Mmmm.

20101013-IMG_6119

The house smelled good enough to eat!

I enjoyed a bowl with a sprinkle of ground black pepper and paprika. It would also be wonderful with a dollop of sour cream or hummus.

20101013-IMG_6128

20101013-IMG_6132

I was SO warm after this bowl, I almost had a hot flash. I had to remove a layer. ;)

It also kept me full for hours and hours. Actually, come to think of it, I am still quite full as I type this!

20101013-IMG_6135

Good to the last bite.

20101013-IMG_6138

You might want to also check out my most popular soup recipe- Holiday Soup for the Soul.

What are your favourite cold-weather comfort foods?

Page 2 of 2«12
faith @ gracefulfitness October 14, 2010 at 8:00 am

Roasted winter squash is my winter comfort food go-to. Love it.

jenna October 14, 2010 at 8:36 am

this stew look fabulous! i love lentils so much! :) they are so yummy and they are a great protien option for stews and soups.

jaime October 14, 2010 at 8:46 am

The blogging world got me addicted to pumpkin spice lattes at satrbucks and now I think it’s trying to get me addict to is Lentils! They are everywhere! Excuse me while I go buy some Lentils……

Becky October 14, 2010 at 8:56 am

Jamie, that’s so funny! I JUST fixed myself a pumpkin spice latte and sat down to read the blogs! It’s great stuff , isn’t it ????

Amber K October 14, 2010 at 9:19 am

Soup definitely makes me feel good during winter. And hot cocoa!

thefruitpersuit (Sabine) October 14, 2010 at 10:16 am

I just made a stew inspired by yours’ Angela and holey smokes, it’s awesome! I basically made the same broth base (only I used date paste because I don’t have molasses haha) and I chopped up: onion, sweet potato, bokchoi (the stems), tomato and green beans, and I threw in wild rice and blackeye peas (a lot, by accident haha). It is so amazing.

Could you tell me if it matters a lot what kind of pan you use though? I used a saucepan since that’s all I have, and the bottom burnt a little. Also, my stew was boiling a lot, and I wasnt sure if that was a bad thing. Your stew ingredients are still fairly recognizable in the end, mine kind of blended together and I think this was because I couldn’t keep it under boiling point.

I’d appreciate any advice you (or someone else) gave on this.

love, sabine

Dorry October 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

This looks hearty and delicious! I can’t resist a spicy veggie chili packed with beans and of course, lots of veggies. Also love a good lentil soup. Mmmm.

GFree_Miel October 14, 2010 at 10:46 am

What a good looking autumn dish! Stew is so perfect now that it’s starting to get a bit cooler out. Yum!

Triona October 14, 2010 at 10:46 am

what is nutritional yeast or what can be used instead of it, I never heard of it, from Ireland here ha ha

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2010 at 11:08 am

You can leave it out all together. I didnt have any last night and it was fine without it :)

Triona October 14, 2010 at 12:47 pm

oh great thanks Angela :)

ElizabethMDS October 14, 2010 at 10:59 am

That looks wonderful!

Paula October 14, 2010 at 11:01 am

As it starts cooling down (which is not very cold in So Cal!) I love when we get a little rain cause my favorite thing to do is make CHILLI! I had the opportunity to make it last week and for the first time made a VEGAN version :) and I love homemade cornbread with chilli – SO GOOD!

Nichole October 14, 2010 at 11:24 am

I love making chili on a cold day, really warms me up and I love leftovers! I always make too much! Your stew looks great!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 14, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I love stews! I recently made a tomato-pumpkin stew and it was fabulicious :)

Bonnie Lang October 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Yum! I think I might have to make some of this myself today – the weather in Calgary is slowly starting to turn (thankful it’s been slow – what a beautiful fall we’ve had like you!) and this stew looks like it would hit the spot. Great photos too – so neat to enjoy the process step by step. :)

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I have an acorn squash and a bag of lentils I need to use…I haven’t broken out my crock pot yet but this recipe may have just inspired me to do so!

Erin October 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I love the idea of gravy as the base of a stew! Very smart. Sounds delicious.

Cara Craves... October 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I love the thick “gravy sauce” idea!
That’s one delicious bowl of comfort.

Felicia October 14, 2010 at 7:41 pm

i am soooo making this!! finally bought nutritional yeast , so i’m excited for the gravy broth!

Moni'sMeals October 14, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Beautiful recipe!
My cold weather comfort foods are hot chocolate, 3 bean veggie chili, all winter squash, and soups of all kinds. ;)

Ravenous Rowie October 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm

This stew sounds great! I love meals that clean out your fridge, but taste amazing and are comforting! Great recipe!

Roanne October 16, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I made this last night and my daughter and I loved it! :D

Karen Beth October 31, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I made a pot of this last week and ate it all up within a couple of days! So… I’ve got my second batch simmering now. I’m totally addicted to this stew. Just really amazingly good!

Skie Stanyard January 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

How many is this recipe to serve?

Kaitlyn August 31, 2013 at 8:46 pm

This turned out AMAZING.

Just curious, how would you suggest to adapt the recipe to be made in a slow cooker? (I’m always so antsy when something needs to simmer for over an hour!)

Rebecca December 31, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I’ve had a really bad cold the past couple of weeks so I made this today. I instantly felt better and I could genuinely eat this every day! Thanks for sharing. <3