7 Universal Truths

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 6, 2010

Good morning!

It’s still raining. And dark. Yuk!

Shortly after my Fluffy White Clouds post last week, I received a wonderful email from a friend who is currently in yoga teacher training. She told me that I might enjoy the 7 axioms/Universal Truths that they were taught in her yoga class.

I loved them so much, I thought I would pass them on to you! I have printed the list and will be placing it on my vision board because I find it so inspirational.

Zuda Yoga Teacher Training – 7 axioms/Universal Truths

1. You are exactly where you are supposed to be
2. Fear and pain are life’s greatest teachers
3. Laughter and play are the keys to the fountain of youth
4. Exercise and rest are the keys to vibrant health
5. Touch and intimacy are basic human needs
6. Everything is impermanent
7. Everything is connected

I love the first one especially- ‘You are exactly where you are supposed to be’.

I think that we can often get caught up in where we think we should be or where we want to be, but to realize that we are exactly where we should be at this very moment in time is very powerful.

To accept where we are at this moment helps remove the guilt that so many of us face every single day. To appreciate the times when we are struggling or having a bad day and to realize that even the moments that seem difficult, upsetting, flawed, or discouraging all have their particular place.

How many times have you been down on yourself because you felt like you should or shouldn’t have done something?

Or that you let someone down?

Or that you ate too much?

Or that you should have found a job by now?

Or that you should have had a baby by the time you hit 30?

Or that you shouldn’t have said something or you should have stood up to someone?

We all have regrets and we all have guilt, but often it helps to take a step back and to release some of the guilt that we all have over our heads.

We all make mistakes. We all have things we struggle with in life. But to realize that where we are right now is where we are supposed to be can be very freeing.

It does not mean that we have to stay in a negative situation; it simply means that everything has a learning purpose in our lives.

I always say that if I didn’t struggle so much with making the wrong career choice,  I would never be where I am today. Sometimes we must go through hard times to really push ourselves and grow!

Lately I have been struggling with motivation. Instead of feeling worse about it, I think it might help to accept it for what it is and then think of ways that might help how I am feeling. I am considering joining a local community gym for a few months to add some new challenges to my routine. I used to LOVE doing body pump and spinning classes in university and I think I might love to add classes back into my life. I am definitely going to look into my options and what is out there for me during the colder months. I am also thinking about signing up for a Fall race since I currently don’t have anything on the horizon.

These 7 Universal Truths help me understand that every day has a place and purpose….even the bad ones.

With this in mind, my pancake fail this morning wasn’t so bad. ;)

20101006-IMG_9092

LOL…this my friends is what we call #pancakefail.

Why is writing #pancakefail so much fun?

I shall return with endorphins in my blood and a recipe success. :)

Page 3 of 3«123
thefruitpersuit (Sabine) October 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Hahaha oh my… and I thought I was bad at making (normal) pancakes! My friend was surprised that all my pancakes always get ruined and yet I spend so much time in the kitch baking and cooking :p.

ps I retract my earlier statement; I do not like the ‘possibly related topics’. Keeps me reading for hours…

bonnie October 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

wow i love those truths! especially the first one! i often look to people i admire for guidance and inspiration and get frustrated when i can’t reach the peak of where i want to be. but i have to realize, that even my mentors put in their time. success and goals don’t happen overnight. but i think when i make a goal, i automatically believe i should accomplish it as soon as possible or its a failed dream.
thanks for posting!! so powerful to remember these ideas!

jaime October 6, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I just love your blog! You really help me glow with your words of encouragement! Thanks.

Emily October 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Loved this post and list!! My favorite (and they all are pretty close) for today was Exercise and rest are the keys to vibrant health. It put me in such a great mindset for my yoga class today (first in weeks!!). I think that we do need both exercise and rest in our lives to be vibrant, balanced, and healthy :) Thanks Angela!

TheHealthyApron October 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm

This is the exact post I needed to hear today. Thank you so much for such positive messages! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I DO have to remember that I need to relish in each and every day, good or bad, and realize that every day is there for a reason. :) Live and learn!…and then get Luvs (hahaha remember that commercial?)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA October 6, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I love it when you share pictures of your failed recipes! It definitely makes me feel better hahah

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 6, 2010 at 3:03 pm

SO powerful! This post just made me feel better about being extra hungry/snacky this week (did I need the pretzels I just stole from the office jar?? ;)

Natalia - a side of simple October 6, 2010 at 3:07 pm

What a great list! I find it very comforting and inspiring. Thank you!

Tiffany @ Eat, Run, Write, Love October 6, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I love this! Just what I needed to hear! I have been feeling sick and haven’t been able to exercise, then I get really down on myself. I forget that our bodies also need rest. That is what I am going to do today. Thanks for this post.

stacey-healthylife October 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I agree that you may just need a little change and a little challenge. The motivation will come back. Fitness is a part of your life, so it’s okay if you take sometime off. Since you will be exercising for the rest of your life, I think you deserve it.

Claire @ Low Impact Fashionista October 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Hahah I love how you always keep it real and post your little failures along with your HUGE successes (still not over how amazing your vegan thanksgiving looked!)

betsy October 6, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for sharing those Angela. I really needed to read those today. I think I will print them and put them on our fridge. Those are for moments we we need a little ” lifting up”.
Have a great evening :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 6, 2010 at 3:53 pm

“You are exactly where you are supposed to be ” >>>> Oh my! My yoga teacher read this out during the meditation section of a class a few months ago and they were the EXACT words I needed to hear. It has now become a little mantra of mine!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 6, 2010 at 3:57 pm

It’s nice to see that even you Angela encounter some cooking disasters :)

[email protected] October 6, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Love the truths. Thanks for sharing!

Hope @ One Healthy Hope October 6, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Thanks for posting this list. When I read it in bed from my iPhone this morning I immediately identified with the first truth: ‘You are exactly where you are supposed to be’.
Am in the process of trying to recover from a badly broken toe, which means I have not been able to do any of my usual beloved exercise = super intense guilt! So instead of being all “woe is me” and feeling guilty, I have found new ways of working different parts of my body and I have enjoyed the change…my body has also enjoyed the rest.
You are exactly where you are supposed to be – yep, I am.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I wish you a speedy recovery! xo

Katie October 6, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Changing up your routine is such a great idea! I was feeling very meh about 8 months ago, and changed things up. Now, I never do the same thing for more than a month, which is about when I start to get bored.

I don’t know if you have Girls on the Run in Canada, but it is a great organization that works with 5-8th grade girls. I just signed up to be a running buddy in this fall’s 5K. It’s my 4th season, and I love it! Great motivation too.

Joanna October 6, 2010 at 7:59 pm

These are so true. True true TRUE. Thank you for posting this list. It summarizes all of the wisdom I like to try to focus on in my life.

Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex October 6, 2010 at 8:14 pm

GREAT post!

maria @ Chasing the Now October 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Really enjoyed this post. I believe all of those truths are right on. Especially the one about being exactly what you are supposed to be. I like to say, “In the end everything will work out. If it isn’t working out, it’s not the end!”

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 6, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I’ve never heard of these before, but they’re such lovely thoughts! I actually really like the last one. Lately I’ve been really trying to feel connected everything, like to myself, to others, and to nature. It makes me feel really at peace to feel so much a part of the world!

Alyson @ Your Nourished Life Blog October 6, 2010 at 10:48 pm

This beautiful post couldn’t have come at a better time.. I’ve been struggling lately with feeling like I’m not living up to expectations or letting myself/others down, also searching for my workout mojo. The 1st one is something one of my favorite yoga teachers talks about a lot and it really strikes home with me. I think all of them are things we generally know, but sometimes forget and need that little reminder. Thanks Angela!

Allison October 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

Thank you.

nancylicious October 7, 2010 at 12:18 am

i love the 7 truths so much. thanks so much for sharing!

Amanda October 7, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Angela I adore your blog! I found this blog entry particularity inspirational – and I think I will make an inspiration board myself! I’m going through a hard time now since I was laid-off and stuck in a terribly boring temp job, but using the mantra of “I am exactly where I’m supposed to be” is rather liberating. Thanks again!

kate October 7, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Hi Angela and everyone- just wanted to add a good read to this topic. It’s a book that utterly changed my life: “Loving What Is” by Byron Katie. It’s about realizing that when we struggle with “What is”, we suffer. When we go to “I should…” or “He should..” and basically decide we know what “should be” in our lives and even for others, we get ourselves into a terrible mess. It’s powerful and freeing to let go and love what is.