Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 28, 2010

Good morning!

Miraculously, I’m still waking up around 5-5:30am since I have been back. I want this early to rise, early to bed streak to become a habit because I have fallen in love with the early morning again. I will be having a discussion tomorrow on early rising and the timing of meals, so stay tuned for that.

But, for now, tarts. It’s all about the tarts this week.

Do you ever see a picture so beautiful that it literally makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

20100927-IMG_3475

That is what this onion did to me this morning!

20100927-IMG_3474

When I was a child and teenager my entire family used to call me ‘The Little Tourist’ because I took so many pictures.

As I always say, look to your childhood for answers about your passions!

I have always had a love for photography. Even back in the day, when I was fascinated with our Pink Polaroid Camera…

p1070205

Now, that’s hot.

[source]

From organic farmer,

20100927-IMG_3476

To skillet,

20100927-IMG_3493

To table.

20100927-IMG_3539

Mushroom, Spinach, & Onion Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Goat Cheeze inspired by Choosing Raw.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup white Kamut flour (or all-purpose)
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance buttery stick
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 4-4.5 tbsp almond milk
  • 2.5-3 cups mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1.5 cups packed spinach
  • 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Goat Cheeze: 1/2 cup macadamia nut butter, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, black pepper, sea salt, to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a tart pan or alternatively you can simply roll out the dough, trim, and place on parchment on a baking sheet. To assemble the dough: In a stand mixer with a dough hook (or by hand), mix the flour, salt, butter, and almond milk together. Use your hands when necessary to form into a ball. Place in fridge for 20 mins. to chill. While it is chilling prepare the onions and mushrooms. In a skillet over medium-low heat, add in 2-3 tbsp oil and the sliced onion. Cook onion over low for about 10 minutes until it caramelizes and slightly browns. Remove dough from fridge and lightly flour your surface. Roll out dough to desired size and place into tart pan (see this post for more pictures of the process). Pierce dough with a fork and place in the oven for 13-16 minutes at 400F to pre-bake. While it is baking, add the sliced mushrooms and garlic to the onion mixture and cook over low-medium heat for another 10 minutes. Add in the spinach and cook for another 5 minutes until wilted. Make the goat cheeze by mixing 1/2 cup macadamia nut butter, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, black pepper, and approx 1/8th tsp sea salt. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. When tart is done pre-baking, remove from oven and spread on a layer of olive oil with a brush to keep the crust moist. Now, layer on the mushroom and onion mixture. Now add on clumps of goat cheeze. Bake in over for another 5 minutes or so, watching carefully, until golden in colour.

Note: Makes enough dough and filling to make two 3×12 inch tarts. You can also make mini tarts or even use a cupcake pan if you don’t have mini tart pans. As a third option, simply roll out your dough, trim the edges to form a rectangle, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Score the edges to form a crust.

20100927-IMG_3487

20100927-IMG_3495

I didn’t have enough mushrooms and onion (maybe half of what was required), so I had to make due without. I suggest using the quantity recommended in the recipe so you can really fill your tart to the brim. I found my filling was very sparse.

20100927-IMG_3494

20100927-IMG_3503

20100927-IMG_3504

I would have preferred double the filling than what I had…

20100927-IMG_3509

This ‘goat cheeze’ was fun! I didn’t have macadamia nuts, so I made a modified version of Gena’s Goat cheese.

20100927-IMG_3517

20100927-IMG_3518

Oops I forgot the spinach!

Much better.

20100927-IMG_3528

I love how the goat cheeze browned in the oven. Very authentic looking!

20100927-IMG_3539

The goat cheeze was slightly dry, so I think next time I wouldn’t cook it for as long. Maybe just 5 minutes to retain the moisture.

20100927-IMG_3543

It tasted wonderful! Very authentic tasting for a vegan tart.

20100927-IMG_3531

Now for the one thing I really struggled with since getting back from my trip…

EXERCISE!

While on our trip, my sister and I were a great team. The night before, she would convince me that getting up at 6am while on vacation to workout was a good idea and when the alarm went off the next morning, I dragged her butt out of bed. We worked in complete harmony.

Except for that morning after a night of too much wine, when we both looked at each other with that knowing look and snuggled up under the warm bed sheets for a couple more hours. I had three workouts out of 6 days while away. I consider that a success being jet-lagged and all. We never did regret one of those early morning workouts!

However, once I got home, my motivation disappeared.

I came home to cloudy, cold, and rainy weather and to make matters worse, I felt under the weather myself. I decided to let my body tell me when it was ready to workout again.

Thursday passed, as did Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Nothing.

Not even the slightest desire to workout.

Then I realized that I could go for weeks if I didn’t intervene! This was quite silly, all I had to do was put on my sneakers and sweat. Was it really that bad?

So yesterday, I ran 3 miles and I felt like a new woman afterwards. I always say, starting a workout is the hardest part.

And yes, sometimes, a swift kick to my own butt is necessary to get those workout juices going once again. [Side note: Kicking your own butt is not easy!]

Page 3 of 3«123
Heather September 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I agree, the first mile of my runs is the WORST until I get into a groove!

Melisser; The Urban Housewife September 28, 2010 at 3:22 pm

This looks fantastic.. and I don’t just mean that awesome Polaroid camera!

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) September 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Mushrooms, mushrooms everywhere! All these blogs talking about mushrooms today is making me crave some fungus. Looks fabulous…beautiful pictures Angela!

Erica Vore September 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I know what you mean in regards to motivation. There are some days That I am ready to GO and there are some weeks (lol) that I have to literally bribe myself into working out. I love your photos, although I’m not a huge fan of tarts or mushrooms.

[email protected] hungry artist September 28, 2010 at 4:04 pm

That’s a beautiful tart! Can’t believe it’s vegan!!

Your photography is SO great. Your love does shine through! :)

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy September 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

“And is why I love photography. There is nothing I love more than to see beauty in real life, capture it on camera, and share this beauty with others.” <——- Could NOT agree MORE!

And I had the exact same CoolCam back in the day!

The tart looks savory-licious!!!!

Halley (Blunder Construction) September 28, 2010 at 4:48 pm

These photos are some of the most beautiful I’ve seen on your blog! This tart is absolutely gorgeous, can I even say that about a tart? I think the recipe and photos are ready for a food magazine!

Katie September 28, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Hi Anglea! Your website is my “go-to” for healthy cookie recipes…….do you have any good pumpkin cookie recipes?! I want to open a can of pumpkin for a smoothie, but I know I’ll have a TON of leftovers to use, and what better way to use them than a healthy vegan cookie! :)

[email protected] September 28, 2010 at 5:45 pm

that is a gourmet quality tart!! ive been really into quiches lately and am always looking for a new crust recipe…ive never tried kamut flour but i love how it doesn’t cause too much shrinkage. will definitely try it!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed September 28, 2010 at 5:46 pm

wow, this looks amazing! I am so hungry for this for lunch :)
Heidi xo

Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 28, 2010 at 6:06 pm

You take vegan food to a whole new level!!
And I agree that the onion IS very beautiful :)
Maybe the tears I get from it are tears of JOY

Lisa September 28, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I just made this for dinner tonight and it was amazing. I didn’t have macadamia butter so I skipped on the cheeze. I also used whole wheat flour (all I had). Thanks so much for this, I’m sure I’ll be making it often!

Lauren September 28, 2010 at 7:49 pm

This is absolutely beautiful! Please submit this to Tastespotting! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 28, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I want to be BFFs with that tart, because I know we would get along wonderfully :-)

[email protected] September 28, 2010 at 8:26 pm

That tart looks delicious and just darn cute. Love the combo of mushroom, spinach and goat cheese (or cheeze!).
Good for you for listening to your body in letting it rest, and then getting it moving again :-)

kaila September 28, 2010 at 9:18 pm

i’ve always wanted one of those old fashioned polaroid cameras! i love how the picture comes right out of it! not to mention pink is my favorite color :) all your paris purchases look awesome

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly September 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Oh my gosh, I absolutely agree about starting the workout being the worst part… But even though I know that, it still wins out a decent amount of the time. I suppose I just haven’t made it a strong enough habit yet.

Jessica September 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm

You are so right Angela, starting a workout is the hardest part! Also, kicking your own butt is difficult, yet sometimes necessary. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Olya September 29, 2010 at 1:57 am

Yummy!

Nichole September 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Oh.My.Word. Those ginger cookies look fantastic. I’m absolutely a sucker for anything ginger, and that tart looks smashing too!

Ester November 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Angela, I have been following your blogs since August 2012, tried a lot of your recipes, just made this one, n it taste so good! though I use whole wheat pastry, I used coconut oil to replace butter ( I don’t have butter now). but it tasted good, thank you!

Radhika Sarohia December 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm

This looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sivan B. July 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

What would you recommend subbing for macadamia nut butter if I dont have any (and cant seem to find a place to buy it). Would almond butter work?

Alina November 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I just made it (without the goat cheeze, though), and it tasted really good! Since I don’t have tarte pans, I was hoping to mold the dough around the filling, but the dough was not really moldable (is it supposed to be?). I’ll try this recipe again another time; maybe another dish, or not trying to mold the dough, will help. Again, it was tasty, though, and I’m glad I tried it! I’m looking forward to trying your Carrot Apple Ginger Soup and Taco Salad this week as well!

Yes on the exercising thing! I too need to get back into a routine, especially this month!

L January 2, 2014 at 11:27 am

can’t wait to try this recipe!

where did you find this tart pan??

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Hi L, I think it’s from Golda’s Kitchen in Mississauga area off the 401.

L January 2, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Thank you! Just pre-ordered two copies of your cookbook :)