Oh Paris!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 17, 2010

Good morning/afternoon/evening…I don’t even know at this point! ;)

What I do know is that we are finally here in Paris after a long and turbulent journey.

20100917-IMG_7256

We did not sleep a WINK on the red-eye. Must be in our genes. I think everyone on the plane but us were sleeping happily. ;)

20100917-IMG_7240

20100917-IMG_7215

Gorgeous!

20100917-IMG_7214

We made it to our hotel!

20100917-IMG_7245

and we were told our room wasn’t ready, so we dropped our bags and headed out to find a cafe. At this point, it was 7am my time (EST) and 5am my mom and sister’s time. We were all kinds of mixed up. We just wanted our beds to sleep in.

Oh this was needed.

20100917-IMG_7228

The first food that touched my lips was a delicious plain white roll dipped in balsamic and oil.

20100917-IMG_7226

Mom hand modeled for me.

20100917-IMG_7230

I made use of some French and I told the waiter that I was a vegan and he said…’WHO?’

So freaking funny. He was serious too.

Then I said, ‘Je ne mange pas de produits laitiers, d’oeufs, de buerre et de viande. Je suis vegetalienne. Que me recommandez-vous?’

It translates to ‘I don’t eat milk products, eggs, butter, or meat. I am a vegan. What do you recommend?’

It all became clear to our waiter and he was more than happy to come up with something and he was super nice about it all.

20100917-IMG_7232

I was brought an avocado, tomato, walnut, grapefruit, and cucumber mixed green salad with some type of dressing that I didn’t care for too much and ate around. I could have cared for something more substantial, but it was what I was working with at the time and knew I had more food in my suitcase if need be.

20100917-IMG_7233

My sister’s salad that she said was really good- it had goat cheese, egg, etc.

20100917-IMG_7234

Mom had a ham and cheese sandwich.

Then we explored…

20100917-IMG_7249 20100917-IMG_7250

20100917-IMG_7254

20100917-IMG_7257

20100917-IMG_7258-2 20100917-IMG_7259 20100917-IMG_7260

20100917-IMG_7265 20100917-IMG_7266

20100917-IMG_7268 20100917-IMG_7269

Finally our room was ready!!

20100917-IMG_7277 20100917-IMG_7282

My mom has a joining room and my sister and I are sharing this bed.

20100917-IMG_7281

Oh bed you look too perfect. Let us jump on you.

20100917-IMG_7290

20100917-IMG_7292

Then we crashed hard and slept for 2.5 lovely and blissful hours. We could have slept all day, but we wanted to be able to sleep tonight!

20100917-IMG_7301

Now we are going to shower, clean ourselves up, and then try and find a place for dinner!

There is one small problem with my laptop- the 3 prong plug I have does not fit into the converters that we brought. Eric and I tested a 3 prong plug before I left, but then I decided to take a different laptop that has a different 3-prong plug (it has a round bottom part and not rectangular), and apparently it won’t fit! I didn’t even realize it was different and even so, I still can’t understand why it won’t fit as I thought all 3 prongs were standard size. Hopefully I can find something! :) I only have 1 hour and 30 mins of laptop battery left… ;)

Page 3 of 3«123
Katherine September 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I want to go back to Pairs so badly now! I love the updates. Have so much fun and I cannot wait for more!

Exercise and Eat September 17, 2010 at 4:29 pm

It all looks so glamourous! Have SO much fun!

Caitlin Lavagnino (EatFeats) September 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Yay Paris! My mom has told me many a funny story about Europeans misinterpreting the words “vegetarian” and “vegan.” For example, one of her coworkers was once in France, and he told the waiter that he was a vegetarian. The waiter said it was no problem, and then brought out a chicken dish. Apparently, he thought vegetarian meant no RED meat. I’m glad your waiter was able to accommodate you more easily!

Andrea September 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Beautiful pictures! I just love Paris- so jealous that you’re off traveling! :) Hope you have a splendid time!

Laura @ Backstage Pass September 17, 2010 at 4:42 pm

What gorgeous photos. Have a wonderful time today! Can’t wait to read about your adventures – a Paris :-)

[email protected] September 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Okay… IN LOVE WITH THE HELLS!!!! Seriously!! Have a blast in Paris!!! Very exciting!

Cara Craves... September 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Beautiful!
I love the architecture.
Paris is still on my to-do list.
Enjoy every bit of it.

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks September 17, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Pics are fab!

I am so glad that I don’t have any food sensitivities….I’d die in a foreign country….point, nod and smile methods don’t work when trying to explain what I’m willing to eat!

Dorry September 17, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I’m in Paris, too! We just took the train from London this afternoon. :) My dear friend, Kristina (aka Spabettie) let me know you were here, too. I hope you are having a blast! It’s such a beautiful city and I can’t wait to explore tomorrow. xo

Taylor Rickrode September 17, 2010 at 6:04 pm

So funny….I was just in Paris last week and my husband and I took a red-eye from California, and I DID NOT sleep a wink either!! Felt like a zombie!! Have so much fun, it was GORGEOUS weather when we were there.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 17, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Love it love it love it!! It’s so gorgeous! Gotta admit I’m a teennny bit jealous :)

[email protected] September 17, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Paris looks so gorgeous and I’m glad you all got there safely! Bummer about the plugs! When I was in Europe a few months ago we were staying in a relative’s apartment and he had converters there so we were lucky. Have fun!

Allison September 17, 2010 at 7:22 pm

ahhh so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah foreign plugs stink!! When i lived in Argentina i had to get a converter that only had 2 round prongs. Plug designs annoyingly vary by country:/ Im sure that you will be able to find an electronics shop that carries them. It will be much cheaper to look for a large place rather then an overpriced spot catered to tourists

maria @ Chasing the Now September 17, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I can’t imagine being in Paris and not enjoying some good cheese and crackers! :) Hope finding good vegan food isn’t a problem for you. I am loving all the photos!

rachel September 17, 2010 at 7:32 pm

have a great time! i am so jealous you get to see paris :)

Danielle September 17, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for bringing us along on your trip! We all get a vacation now :)

Whoa – that’s a long day w/no sleep! I don’t think I would be able to sleep on a plane either.

Laura @ Starloz September 17, 2010 at 8:01 pm

i’d be useless in paris, french is a tough language

marie @ quarterlife quandary September 17, 2010 at 8:30 pm

ughhh I’m SO jealous! I was supposed to go to Paris back in April and the stupid volcano in Iceland cancelled our entire trip! but I have promised myself to get back there this spring! enjoy!!!!!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 17, 2010 at 8:53 pm

GORGEOUS!! You are so lucky!
I can’t sleep on flights either… stinks!

kari September 17, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Angela, im so happy for you that you and your family arrived in paris safely. Have a fun trip and tasting the delicious food.

Anne September 17, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Loooooovely pictures!! I’m so jealous!! ;)
Have a wonderful, wonderful time!!

Cynthia September 17, 2010 at 9:33 pm

You are so lucky to be in Paris! I went there on my honeymoon a couple years ago and it’s beautiful. Have a wonderful trip.

Sana September 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm

AHHH! I am so happy you made it safe and sound! I did not sleep at all on my flight over either!
I am not sure how you are going to travel and blog at the same time! I was too tired to even touch my computer!

Mary Heppenstall September 17, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I’m going abroad this Spring for a semester in Pairs and am vegetarian so I am curious to see what kinds of foods you will be ordering while you are there…keep us posted! :)

Andrew Lowry September 17, 2010 at 11:41 pm

It looks like you are staying in the same hotel that we stayed in when we visited Paris in October ’09. Expensive place (thank goodness for points I could cash in) but beautiful, great service and an excellent location. Enjoy walking in the park across the street, just watch the busy traffic. You are about 4 km from an okay vegan restaurant. Tomorrow I will look it up in my guide book. We walked down to it our second night but otherwise dined at the various cafes. Since my wife is lacto-ova vegetarian she could readily find good choices. Too bad you don’t eat dairy as the ice cream in Paris is great (our Daughter got ice cream with her children’s meal and we always had some as it was so good – real vanilla bean).
Enjoy the City of Lights. We did.

thefruitpersuit (Sabine) September 18, 2010 at 4:02 am

You’re on my time now :D

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun September 18, 2010 at 11:25 am

Paris looks like a beautiful city. I hope you enjoy yourselves there! :-)

TorontoGirlWest September 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I lived in Paris when I was 22 and I could have shed a tear reading your blog post.

Just a glimpse of the architecture took me back. For me, Paris will always be the city where I spread my wings for the first time. It’s been too long since I saw those streets.

I have a feeling tonight I’ll dream of Paris.

[email protected]'s Going The Distance September 19, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Aweeesssooommmmeee!! Paris me manque :) ça fait trop longtemps que j’y suis allée!

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace September 20, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Wow, looks like fun!!! Ahhhhh Paris! Bon Appetit!

Andi April 14, 2012 at 4:14 pm

what hotel is this? I am going next month and loved looking at the bfest pics~!