The Blackstrap Reunion

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 10, 2010

I have to warn you, you are about to witness a blackstrap molasses feast over the next little while.

20100909-IMG_2768

Buckle up, it’s going to be a fun ride.

20100909-IMG_2762

20100909-IMG_2769

20100909-IMG_2775

Yesterday, my wholesale order reunited me with my beloved Blackstrap Molasses. I have been out of it for a long time. Too long, my friends, too long. I love blackstrap molasses and all the delicious creations it touches from ginger bread to Wedded Bliss ginger cookies to Maple baked beans and everything in between.

20100909-IMG_2759

Blackstrap molasses is the tallest, darkest, and most handsome of all things syrup. But it’s not just a pretty face. It boasts a nutritional profile that will make you weak in the knees.

In just 1 tablespoon:

• 175 mg of calcium,
  • 3.6 mg of iron,
  • 45 mg of magnesium,
  • 510 mg potassium

How bout them apples!

Blackstrap molasses is a great supplement to any diet, not just for vegans, but for women in general. Most of us could use a boost of calcium and iron now and then.

So…..I cracked it open and did what any normal human being would do; I made Gingerbread Pumpkin Vegan Overnight Oats!

20100910-IMG_2796

[print_this]

Gingerbread Pumpkin Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Inspired by Yo Soy.

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup regular rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/16th tsp sea salt (aka: a tiny pinch)
  • 1.25 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract)

Directions: In a medium sized bowl mix the oats, chia seeds, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir. Now add almond milk and whisk. Next add molasses, pumpkin, maple syrup, and vanilla and whisk until fully mixed. Place in fridge for 1.5 hours or overnight. In the morning make your banana soft serve and layer it in a parfait for a special gingerbread with ‘icing’. Alternatively you can also use a bit of warmed coconut butter on top for the icing.

Notes: This recipe will work without pumpkin too. You can also adjust the amount of molasses, spices, and maple syrup to your taste of course.

[/print_this]

20100910-IMG_2799

Loved it. So much so that I ate the VOO I prepared yesterday and had to make a new batch before bed!

This recipe has some bite to it. If you find that the molasses is too strong in this recipe, you can always adjust it to your taste. Try adding more pumpkin or milk if it is too strong. I added 1/2 tbsp maple syrup to tone down the sharp molasses taste just a bit. It worked perfectly.

20100910-IMG_2810

I couldn’t get enough of this.

20100910-IMG_2804

For more fun Vegan overnight oat parfaits, check out these recipes:

Chocolate Cake Batter Vegan Overnight Oats

Cherry Chocolate Bomb Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG_9383_thumb

Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG_5992

Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG_48652_thumb

I thought I would share with you some of my favourite websites. They will keep you entertained for hours and hours!

Sites I love

What non food blog websites do you love to visit?

Now go have some Friday Fun!

Page 3 of 3«123
Lauren M. September 10, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I don’t know if it’s just southern california, but pumpkin is NON EXISTENT due to a pumpkin shortage last year. I tried my best to stock up for the year, but I just ran out of my last can about a month ago and all your pumpkin recipes are making me so sad because there is no way to make them. Whole pumpkins arent available yet either and butternut squash just isnt the same. :(

Heather McClees September 11, 2010 at 12:59 am

I knew I loved you! Your gingerbread VOO are almost like the ice cream I made on my post today!! I’m going to try your adaptation tomorrow!:)

CAN’T Wait:)

H McClees

Laural September 11, 2010 at 9:00 am

Here’s a great recipe you could veganize w/ your matcha tea :)
I’ve been wanting to try but haven’t found any of the tea.

Also a funny website conveniently called:

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 11, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Whoa, cool! I have never used blackstrap molasses before. I’m not sure I’d know what to do with it, lol.

Cassidy September 13, 2010 at 2:44 am

Love you site…and this is one of my very favorite non food blogs. It is hilarious.

Rachel September 16, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Chelseatalkssmack.blogspot.com

Amazing writer.

Thank you for your delicious recipes. My tummy has been happy since I found your blog :-)

Annie (Delicious Wellness) September 29, 2010 at 10:13 am

Hi Angela, I made these oo last night, and followed the directions exactly, but doubled it (including the almond milk). They came out tasty, but super super super milky. When you double it, do you use less milk?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010 at 10:16 am

Hmmm, I’m not sure! Perhaps less milk would be needed….

Lauren S October 14, 2010 at 10:12 am

I made these oats last night and just ate them for breakfast this morning. They are soooo good. All of my favorite Fall flavors in one bowl. Oh, and I just love your blog! All of your recipes look great.

Caroline December 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm

So, I tried making these yesterday, and mine were soupy! In the pictures, yours look thicker and more viscous. Are yours normally thicker or do they firm up in the fridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2012 at 10:07 am

I will occasionally get the soupy batch too – next time I suggest reducing the amount of almond milk a bit. Also, the chia seeds are needed to absorb the milk (not sure if you included them? but that could be a reason too)

Caroline December 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Thank you for the reply! I did leave out the chia seeds because I could not find them at Kroger. I will make sure to find them and include them in my next batch!

Jessica Dorrington January 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Can I just say “I LOVE YOUR BLOG!” Love love love! I’m not even a vegan, but everything I’ve tried from here has been amazing. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

Aw thank you Jessica!

Margaret Flay April 10, 2013 at 10:09 am

A new non-food blog well worth checking out is www.lifeinblush.com/blog.

Linda October 28, 2013 at 9:39 am

I think I did something wrong, but I don’t know what. My gingerbread oats are like soup this morning!! It tastes nice, but is totally watery. I even tried warming it up, but to no avail. What happened?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013 at 9:41 am

Hi Linda, I’m sorry to hear that! I would mix in another tablespoon or so of chia seeds and let it sit in the fridge for another 15-25 minutes. That should thicken it right up!

Linda October 28, 2013 at 10:08 am

Thanks! I ate them as a soup, but I will up the chia and lower the milk tonight.

B Lee November 19, 2013 at 11:23 am

Sorry, but I followed this Ginger pumpkin oat parfait to the letter, and it was a total failure. Was more like pumpkin soup. Yuck. Nevermore.

Courtenay December 5, 2013 at 8:07 pm

This was delicious for breakfast! I’m always looking for more ways to get my iron! Do you have a recipe for hot or baked gingerbread oatmeal?

Angela Stark February 5, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I love your blog and your recipes – thank you! Looking forward to the book too! I recently tried to make your gingerbread VOO though and two attempts failed. the oats didn’t absorb – it ended up not looking like a porridge. Any advice – thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 6, 2014 at 8:10 am

Hi Angela, You can reduce the amount of liquid next time and try increasing the chia seeds a bit too. Hope this helps!

Samantha McKenzie September 20, 2015 at 9:17 pm

I made this last night and it was soup. It never thickened up (yes, left in fridge overnight). I have made others of yours, but maybe the measurements were off this one? I have almost tripled the oats now (keep adding some) and will see if it’s thicker in the morning. Sure tasted good, but soupy.

Maja October 28, 2016 at 2:48 pm

They taste awesome, but despite adding less almond milk they still turned out very soupy… I’ll reduce the amount of liquid to 1/2 cup next time and add a bit more oats so they have a texture of proper overnight oats :)
I’ve noticed that lots of other comments concern the same problem; maybe you should consider editing the recipe so others don’t make the same mistake of preparing an overnight soup? :D

Liis T August 3, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Hi!
Sorry, I´m new at this :D.. just wanted to ask how do you prepare the pumpkin for this recipe? Is it boiled and pureed? And nutmeg is grounded? And are all the ingredients cold when you mix them up?
Thanks in advance! It sounds delicious! :)

Angela Liddon September 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Hi there Liis, For this recipe I used canned pure pumpkin puree for convenience (be sure it’s pure pumpkin, and not pumpkin pie filling!). And yes, the nutmeg is ground nutmeg, and all the ingredients are cold when you mix them. :) Hope this helps, and enjoy!!