Shar Pei Approved

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 2, 2010

Good morning!

Last night, I was flying solo for dinner and I was about 2 seconds away from pouring a bowl of cereal until I looked in the crisper and saw all the CSA veggies and leftovers screaming at me to eat them up.

They gave me a total guilt trip. I hate when that happens.

But, I didn’t care.

20100818-IMG_0482

I poured a bowl of cereal and thought about how much I didn’t want to cook.

I surveyed the scene.

I opened the crisper and closed it. Opened it again. Still there.

I sighed.

I ate more cereal.

This pepper spoke to me.

20100901-IMG_1907

It whispered in my ear and said…all you have to do is stuff me and throw me in the oven

So I cut off the hat and scooped out the insides.

20100901-IMG_1908

Don’t worry if a few seeds remain inside the pepper. They put hairs on your toes and will keep you warm over the winter.

Next, I removed the leftovers from the fridge. We have lots this week!

I used leftover Salt Kissed & Buttery Brown Rice, Homemade Chunky Tomato Sauce, and Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce.

20100901-IMG_1916

I mixed it together and hoped it tasted better than it looked.

20100901-IMG_1919

Pack it in…

20100901-IMG_1925

and pack it tight…before baking it for 30 minutes at 375F.

20100901-IMG_1926

When the pepper is slightly charred and resembles a Shar Pei, all is well in the world.

20100901-IMG_1942

Look at that wrinkle factor! She’s a beauty.

20100901-IMG_1944 20100901-IMG_1944-2

Shar Pei Stuffed Pepper for One

Ingredients:

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. Cut hat off green pepper and scoop out insides. In a medium sized bowl mix together the rice, sauce, and cheese sauce. pack the pepper tightly filling the interior and letting a bit come out of the top. Season. Place pepper on baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, checking frequently after 25 mins.

20100901-IMG_1957

It was delicious, cheesy….and easy peasy lemon squeezy.

20100901-IMG_1957

…and Shar Pei approved. ;)

shar_pei_1600x1200

Page 2 of 2«12
Sara September 2, 2010 at 11:11 am

Do you guys get poblano peppers up there? Stuffed peppers are exponentially more delicious in a poblano because when you roast it like this it gets this delicious complex smokey flavor that a bell pepper could only dream of having!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm

YES i got some in my CSA yesterday!!!! ahhhh

Allison September 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

Yesterday my roommate had a pepper that was getting a little old and i told her to stuff it:) Small world lol but since shes not a vegan she was going to use regular cheese:(

I have been craving cereal like crazy but i dont have any since i dont let myself by processed products:( I think I’ll “borrow” some from the roomie:):)

Ѽ HefiA September 2, 2010 at 11:29 am

Haha! Angela, you are quite a storyteller! My little preschoolers would be fascinated by the story of the green pepper that came to life. :) Your kids must love your bedtime stories!! I know I would!

We make stuffed pepper soup in Romania, and it’s REALLY good! But this recipe looks pretty Dee-licious as well! I should try it out soon.

Shar Pei is so stinkin’ cute! I never thought I wanted a dog…until now :)

Ѽ HefiA

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:38 pm

No kids yet, but if you are referring to Sketchie and Eric, yes they love my stories (some of the time) ;)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 2, 2010 at 11:31 am

I am SO glad to know I am not the only one who thinks veggies and leftovers speak to me. I have serious guilt issues about those. Love your use of leftovers :)

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 2, 2010 at 11:36 am

I love stuffed peppers! Never thought about them like Shar Peis though!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

I love stuffed peppers. So easy and so tasty. I think if I was already eating the cereal there is no way I would have went back to cook something fresh. I would have just called it a day!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 2, 2010 at 11:48 am

I love stuffed peppers, too! And yours looks so easy with all those leftovers on hand!

That Shar Pei is so darn cute!! ;)

Meg September 2, 2010 at 11:50 am

Ahhh! That shar pei is too cute for words!

I love stuffed peppers, they’re so versatile. I was really intimidated by them at first becaue they looked so complicated. Boy was I wrong!

chelsey September 2, 2010 at 12:05 pm

mmm I love stuffed peppers! They are my favorite!

Erin September 2, 2010 at 12:20 pm

That combination of stuffing ingredients sounds delicious! If I was feeling lazy, I’d just eat the whole pepper raw :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I love stuffed peppers. All those leftovers look like the perfect filling!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 2, 2010 at 12:31 pm

It’s funny how often this sort of thing happens to me. I’m not a huge fan of stuffed peppers because for some reason bell peppers turn me off but when they’re really well cooked I like them better and this one looks really good!

[email protected] ReshapeYourLife September 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I love that you can make simple leftovers into something so delicious! I never think about mixing my leftovers, I’ll have to think more out of the box!

jamie @ jamelafamela September 2, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I hate when my produce guilts me into things… :)

Christy McCreath September 2, 2010 at 12:41 pm

What a great idea! I love this recipe.

I often find myself pouring a bowl of cereal for dinner when I’m flying solo and when I don’t feel like cooking. How funny :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hehe I’ve never thought of a roasted bell pepper as a sharpei but it totally works. How adorable :)

Sarah September 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm

That looks AWESOME!

Jenny September 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Stuffed peppers are my absolute favorite. ohhh my ..yum.

Maura September 2, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Haha, such a cute post! Especially the pic at the end ;) Adorbs!

Katelyn September 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I have been *dying* to try some stuffed veggies! That is a genius (and gorgeous, I might add) way to use leftovers and veggies – I love the simplicity of everything you make, it’s so freshing :)

Katelyn September 2, 2010 at 2:54 pm

oops, I meant RE-freshing! :)

Laura (spokesnoats) September 2, 2010 at 3:38 pm

LOVE the closing picture!

Lisa September 2, 2010 at 4:27 pm

That pepper looks delicious! Brown rice and peppers couldn’t be a better combo! Cannot wait to try this out! =)

Heather September 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm

OMG I just want to squeeze that puppy!

Lisa September 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm

oooh stuffed peppers are one of my fav meals!!!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow September 2, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Oh how perfect are Shar Pei’s? I adore those wrinkles. And I adore the pepper! Looks delish. So simple…no excuse for me to throw together dinner now either!

Gina September 2, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Yum!

Allison @ Girl in her Kitchen September 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. That pepper looks fantastic. I haven’t made stuffed peppers in forever! Thanks for reminding me how tasty they are!

Kristen September 2, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I love stuffed peppers. Yum.

Sana September 2, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I was reading this post in class, and the people behind me awwed when I got to the cutie pic at the end :)!